1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Story Idea

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by lafleche1, Jun 10, 2008.

1. lafleche1

lafleche1 Muggle

Well i was reading some final battle fics on ffn and i got this thought what if Harry and Voldemort somehow merged into Harrys body(personally wise). Then had to figure out how to live on. I know its kinda vague but thats probably because im no writer but maybe someone else could branch off my idea or if there is something like this already a link to it perhaps.

2. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Capitalize your "I's"
    Oh your idea is actually a bit of a cliche. I know your not saying he absorbs all of his knowledge etc but its still a bad idea because its a lame plot device to make harry into a !uber evil killer overnight , no matter who harry merges personality with it will be a bad fic..
    except of course The Lie I've Lived by jbern

3. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Oh goodie, mental war. Featuring St Mungo's Batshit Crazy Wing, because there's no way he's gonna have enough concentration for, y'know, not externally seeming batshit crazy with Voldemort in his fucking brain. Then he beats Voldemort, and he's not crazy any more, but then he starts paying attention to the real world and realizes he's been transferred to a muggle loonie bin. He doesn't have his wand, he doesn't have his owl, and his initial attempts to tell the wardens that he had beaten the Dark Lord and everything was alright now didn't go down so well.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest with Harry Potter instead of Randal McMurphy. Can magic fix a lobotomy?

4. lafleche1

lafleche1 Muggle

I didnt mean voldemort in harrys body. I mean some weird merge of personallity traits not even magic or skill related could make it like they are like a new person altogether.

5. Danjam

Danjam Seventh Year

Essentially, your idea is taking a cliche, and removes the memories/skills part of it, leaving just Voldemort and Harry's personalities. The merging of personalities does usually happen in most of these fics, with Harry all of a sudden being "Slytherin" (Though I extremely hate it when they refer to character traits as "Slytherin in the story).

Most of these fics I've read fail because they end up not really going anywhere, the change in Harry is rarely well written or explained, and in the end, most authors end up with Harry as basically himself, or a typical Indy Harry where the author, in the most unsubtle ways possible, points out how clever or cunning he is.

Furthermore, I'd think you need a bit more of a plot then they deal with living as a new combination of Harry and Voldemort, Especially if this is going to take place after the Final Battle. In jbern's fic, he uses the basic outline of the canon plot, after Harry and James merge, and goes along with that, changing and adding things as he goes, whereas in your idea you'd need a whole new conflict, unless this is just supposed to be a one-shot.

6. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Im afraid thats still a bad story. Hell, it isnt even original. I remember a fic (though not the name) back on Fanfiction.net that was similar. Harry somehow traveled either back in time or to a separate reality, and shared a body with James. I stopped following when the Author said it was going to be Remus/Harry. :/

Name started with a C. :\ Wish I could remember the name, because it WAS good, despite being slash. Or future slash. >_>

7. mbond98

mbond98 Seventh Year

Coexistence. Craptacular.

The OP's story is called 'Tread Softly'. Its HP/SS slash.

Eww.

PS

I set the size to '150 by 150', but my new Ava still looks too big. Is it?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  8. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

>_>

Yeah. That one.

9. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

u shuld maek hary a goffik n vampyre aftr dey merge!!!

10. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

no u, he shud be an elf an fire lazers from his eye and shit

11. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Rakhesh, summon teh thundrbrd on thees prapz!!!onethousandonehundredelevn1!