1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Recently annoying things in fanfics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cazten, Jan 30, 2006.

Not open for further replies.
  1. cazten

cazten Slug Club Member

Iv'e been noticing alot of ideas and sorts in fanfics that are just starting to get WAY overused these days. I know there are some ideas that are hard to not use as some are common sense but we really need to stop the constant copying.

Just a small list off the top of my head of things that are driving me nutz, some of them are good ideas yes and I used to love them, but they are way to common.

.Harry as metamorphagus (especially in Honks)
    .The idea of "grey magic" and the theory that there is no such thing as light and dark, only intent.
    .The Dursleys abusing harry. (I can see this still being used but come on having them nearly beat him to death every summer completely un noticed by anyone is just not gunna happen!)
    .People making the Ootp look useless, its an organization to stop Riddle. Im sure they dont just sit around and talk all day about how cruel he is.
    .People using all these names like order of the fried turkey, or making Huge-hyphenated-sentances-about-the-boy-who-lived.
    .Another thing that people keep doing, stop introducing harry potter and talking about all his exploits and adventures to show the reader who he is in the first chapter. Its friggin fanfiction, we wouldnt read it if we didnt know the main story line.
    .People making harry over friendly with the goblins on the idea that 'he holds more respect for them, or is friends with house elves, or remembers griphook'.
    .Being an heir of Merlin, Ravenclaw, Slytherin, or Gryffindorr. (Ive never seen hufflepuff used, that might be nice one to see for once)
    .Making Harry obscenly rich after Sirius' will reading. If Sirius were that rich he would of flaunted it. Its in his character. They wouldnt bee sitting in some shitty old dark wizard home.
    .Making the 'potter line' a super old ancient rich family. No matter how ignorant Hary is he would of found very soon of his heritage at school.
    .Bellatrix or Narcissa under imperius or maraige contract that acts as imperius.
    .Dumbledore keeping harry in the dark or ofering absolutley no training.
    Dumbledore training Harry's friends but not harry.
    .Ron and hermione in order secretly.
    .Ron/hermione spying on harry since year 1.
    .Harry escaping private drive super easy after an epiphany that leads him to belive he needs to go train without help. hes under constant guard, and guard from fully trained and very much above average wizards.
    .Harry training for the summer undetected by HIMSELF and suddenly as strong as Lucious Malfoy.
    .Ginny and love potions
    .Ginny knowly manipulating harry into marriage
    Any potions/parchments that tell someone their animagus form, special abilities or any other wierd powers. People are making this shit way to easy.
    .Harry with a pheonix or basalisk form, or having 2 forms (unless you state that having 2 forms is natural for powerful wizards like 'A second chance at life' where the headmistress has four forms). It would be nice to see some truly cool and UNIQUE forms if you are going to make them magical, and something truly fitting of his character or related to his natural abilities.
    .Making dumbldore suddenly evil/manipulative. If your going to do it make it un noticeable to the people. Everyone suddenly leaving the order in favor of Harry is getting old. The mans 100+ years old hes not stupid, stop making hinm seem it.

anyone want to add?
    Ide just really like to see some new stuff out there, or a very different way of incoorperating some of these old ideas. Its just comming to a point now to where i can read the first chapter of a story and already know its a copy of every idea ive already read with no new plotline. Id very much like to read a story that makes me go "Whoa! Aweosme idea". Or something that makes my blood run cold, or get me in any kind of emotional state. Its impossible for anyting to shock me or get me worked up when ive already seen the idea so many times that i can see whats about to happen before i read it.

Ide like to see someting new like hary trained by someone like flitwick, hagrid, hufflepuffm, flamel, ollivander.
    If Harry becomes an heir to some cool family long since dead i want it to seem plausible. Make a damn good excuse as to why obody knew, including his parents since he got his blood from THEM.

Alot of this stuff as i said can possibly be used again, but it needs to be refined and much further thought out. I jut dont see half the work anymore into researching why charaers are the way they are, or why something has to happen the way it is. Things are getting to unreal, and unbelievable, or flat out stupid like it was written by my 12 year old brother.

2. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

3. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Thread locked. If the thread Sera linked you to was obscure I could understand, but it's one of the more popular threads here, it's usually never below the first 10 topics

Not open for further replies.