1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Night of the Bat

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Janus, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

The above is a working title for I'm fic that's currently sitting in my side-projects wordpad. I'd like to throw the idea out to the wolves for opinions and the like, along with some back story about the idea itself. I assume this is the place to do that, if it isn't do say so and I'll correct it.

I'm looking for opinions, scorn, suggestions, whatever. If I had any idea how the fic would be received I wouldn't be posting the idea for review... ^^;
    -=-=-=-=-

Contrary to the images the title provokes, this fic has nothing to do with small furry mammals or introverted Potions masters. Whether you decide that the following is elaborate fiction or chilling truth, please reserve judgment for the idea itself.

The Knights of the Bat is an informal group of social outcasts dedicated to some rather extreme ideas. Originally a sort of banding-together-against-adversity collection of people in a bassackwards conservative high school located in the southern US, this school was a nigh perfect representation of cliche high school behavior. Jocks, Preps, Cool Kids, Nerds, Outcasts, the lines might as well been draw in fifty foot representations between them.

After a shocking revelation that one of our own had spent an entire year being stalked and beaten by her classmates and had taken to hiding out in the library for countless hours after class had ended, some decided that the bullshit had to stop. They tortured for sick pleasure, and left nothing but stewing resentment in its place. Some decided the only thing to do was endure it in silence, others removed themselves from the problem entirely and start over as if those days had never existed. A few tried to fight back, and always came out worse for ware, sometimes a lot worse.

It was those last few that inspired the Knights. A select handful saw that simply fighting back wasn't enough, they had to make a statement in the minds of their tormentors. One that went something like this...

If you strike, you had better make damn sure we don't get back up. Make sure that we can never look you in the eye again, that we could never even consider showing our face again. Destroy us.

Because if you don't, we will come for you, and you won't even get a chance.

Consider the following. The name Knights of the Bat has never appeared in the newspaper, you've never heard of their work. (And you would have) This could mean any number of things. Either the Knights never followed through with any of their threats, or they never existed in the first place. Those tormentors could have noticed something was different in the mannerisms of their prey, ceased their actions, and the work of the Knights was accomplished anyway. Or, you've never heard of the Knights because when they did make a statement, it stayed made.

Night of the Bat is a nod to these people. A story in which Harry decides he isn't going to take any more of Draco's bullshit. Magic minimalizes, magic trivializes, actions and pranks that would have a Muggle expelled or arrested are punished with a slap on the wrist because they are oh so easy to fix. Harry suspects that he lost his enthusiasm for magic on that very first trip to the hospital, because it has created a world where the status quo never changes. As the saying goes, if you want something done right...

You don't need to be a martial artists or a wizard to hurt someone, you don't even need to be in particularly good health. The nature of pain is a fickle and mysterious, and the limits of the human body are far more than we could ever suspect.

A Chamber of Secrets fic where Harry shares his sanctuary with a certain rival and proves once and for all that what eleven inches of Holly won't solve, thirty four of ash certainly will. A fic where Harry snaps under the pressure, because honestly, at that age wouldn't you?

This will not be a no-magic fic, in my opinion Ennervate, Petrificus Totalus, and Episkey may as well be the angry-child-gone-mad's holy grail.

Hopefully, I can make this story chillingly violent and just a tad disturbing to read. Harry's going to be talking to Draco about pain and death while he is inflicting the former and hinting at the latter. It will definitely be a one-shot. I haven't decided what year it would be best in, though fifth or sixth seems like the closest fit. Character death will be guaranteed.

2. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

I'm definitely looking forward to a story like this with a massive amount of disturbingly dark glee. An excellent idea. I'm looking forward to your interpretation and execution of said idea.

Because in the end, such a thin line separates the executioner from the executionee, don't you think?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  3. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Much creepier of an idea after you read the background. Do a good job, and the forum will love it. Fuck it up and get raped.

4. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

I'd read it. I always like seening Malfoy die. :)

5. Hawthorne

Hawthorne Guest

Judging by your writing style... this is going to be chilling alright. I was cackling just because the moto reminds me very much of what my dad tells me since I am old enough to understand him. Yes, yes please.

6. FollowTheReaper

FollowTheReaper Professor

Need moar, my good sir!

7. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

+1

+1

+ Eleventy Billion and 1.

+1

+1

Plot Bunny Rating: Eleventy Billion and 5/5

One word: Hurry.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  8. Jenkins

Jenkins Forum Bike DLP Supporter

Holy shit. I almost wet my pants in anticipation of such a story.