1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

News about future books

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Longinus, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Longinus

Longinus Second Year

Besides the title of the 11th book (Turn Coat), a guy has taken notes of questions asked to Butcher in an interview:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,6839.70.html

It seems that Mac is human after all, and we are going to see Lasciel again:banana:.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  2. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That thing about Harry's power is interesting but now I'm even more curious, What are the exact circumstances that Harry was born under that gave him power? Also on that note what exactly is Harry's special power over the outsiders?

3. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

From what I could get from the book, Harry seems to be able to wound outsiders and possibly kill them.

4. Danjam

Danjam Seventh Year

Well, yea obviously, but what exactly is this power, why does he have it, etc.

All we know is that he has something that lets him hurt outsiders.

That's pretty fucking vague.

And more Lasciel/Lash always = win.

5. XxEnvyxX

XxEnvyxX Groundskeeper

Isn´t he born on Halloween?
    I´ve just started book 7 and he says that this won´t be a happy birthday for him and he needs to find this text until Halloween...
    So, he is born on the 31.10, when the barrier between the world is the thinnest it will ever get over the year?

6. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You might be right but I just don't think it can be that damn simple as the day he was born which lets him do something so big as fuck up Outsiders when no one else we have seen can besides Micheal and his sword.

7. XxEnvyxX

XxEnvyxX Groundskeeper

Well, maybe the day is just the beginning...
    There are always the possibilities for rare star constellation,
    maybe he was born exactly at midnight,
    his parents (his mother...maybe something about her),
    where was he born?

How did he get his fairygodmother? Was she there?

8. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    His mother had business dealings with Lea. Being Harry's godparent was one of them. And though it's already been said, Harry's power is that his magic actually affects Outsiders. For the average (maybe even Senior Council) Wizard their spells are shrugged off like they're chucking pebbles.

9. Longinus

Longinus Second Year

In Halloween the barriers between this world and Faerie are weaker, maybe it also affects the barriers between human world and the Outer Gates, and that somehow makes him able to wield magic against them

10. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Mac has someone up high who we have already been introduced too at some point. Someone on the accord, who has the power to influence 2 other members to vote Mac on.

Mac is going to be incredibly important in the coming books, judging by what Jim hides. Could he be the one giving all these magical objects and rituals away? We are fairly sure Mac is a non-magical practitioner, but that doesn't mean he was always like that. From what we've seen with all the early adventures, none of the 'evil guys' have ever received direct magical aid. They've all receiver either items (the belts), or knowledge of rituals and spells they would never have known before. Sounds like it fits mac perfectly.

White council civil war-So gonna happen. Probably going to fall among mostly age lines, the younger go with Harry, the older go with the 'other side'. Besides for the obvious people joining Harry. (There is a pattern of the younger members looking up to Dresden as opposed to say, the merlin.)

And Lash-in-da-house :D. Sweeet.

11. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

It's obvious that Mac=Cowl...
    Also, for this hypothetical war, who do you think would join each side?
    The next book is supposed to be about Dresden hiding Morgan from the White Council if I recall so does that mean he is suspected as the traitor? Probably which would explain why Dresden is helping him since he vouched for him during the Black Council conversation with McCoy.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  12. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

From what I see Morgan is getting too close to the truth about a certain WC traitor to be healthy. Thats all i can really think of to make him hide from the Wardens.

13. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

If Mac was Cowl he would have just killed Dresden long ago. (If that was serious its hard to tell on the internet.)

I am convinced that the Merlin or Ancient Mai is the traitor.

On the topic of Dresden's mother having deals with Lea. Harry's mother makes more deals and knew more beings than CIA, Pentagon, NSA, China, Soviet Union, Neville Chamberlin(no offense to anyone who likes Neville), Hitler, JFK, Castro, Stalin, etc. At this point it is confirmed that she knew:

1. Lea
    2. King Raith
    3. Nic
    4. Ebenezar
    5. Mab?

Anyone else I have forgotten?

14. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Sorry I lack sarcasm tags.

15. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

That would be nice to have a insert sarcasm button.

16. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

I still think Harry's going to take on one of the knights swords. The fact that Luccio wont be making any new ones for him only adds to that.

I mean the denarians are getting more intertwined with the story as we go, and the mysterious vanishing change purse only adds to the possible foreshadowing. I'm not saying he's going to find religion but he's practically collecting those suckers now.

As for Cowl... I don't think he is Mac, and if he was he would be a future version of Mac.

I'm still sticking with my Dresden groovy time traveling scenario.

17. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You mean my groovy Dresden time travelling scenario.

Also Ancient Mai/Kumori anyone?

18. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

No I mean mine....

Oh Snap, thats right I went there... and I took Quotes!

19. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

So, Lasciel is coming back... I wonder how that's going to work. The part of his mind that contains her could heal, or he could mean that Dresden is going to run into the real McCoy. Either way, more Lash = good.

20. Immolo

Immolo High Inquisitor

She's more than likely already back. Remember when Dresden's hand involuntarily grabbing the coin so it wouldn't touch him? Well Lash has done that before in almost the exact circumstance.

Before anyone says that was Uriel interfering let me say this. Why would Uriel do something as simple as move Dresden's hand, which is no where near equal to how Satan interfered both times, when he could resurrect Lash? Plus Uriel said his help was more long term which would lead me to believe that he didn't just move Dresden's hand. Further more giving an angel's ability to a human doesn't make nearly as much sense as giving it to a (no longer fallen) angel's shadow.

As for what is so special about Dresden's birth I would have to say its because he's more than likely one fourth fairy. Now I know that sounds like wild speculation but I have some rather compelling evidence to back it up, though it takes sometime for it all to come together.

Dresden's mother, Margaret Gwendolyn LeFay Dresden, is clearly based after Morgan le Fay. Morgan le Fay was originally a fairy who later became a human woman. The people in the Dresdenverse who have fairy powers (yes I know they prefer Sidhe) and then can subsequently lose them and turn full human are Changelings.

On a different but related note Dresden's mother has a yet unspecified link to Leanansidhe. Now this probably isn't common knowledge but Leanansidhe is based after the Leanan sídhe, who were a type of Sidhe, which were the fairies of Celtic folklore. Leanan sídhe are beautiful fairy women who take human lovers. This of course brings the possibility that Leanansidhe is in fact Dresden's grandmother. Also it is not uncommon to appoint one of your parents as the godparent of your child.

Also if I am right then if you do a little more searching you find out that in one story from the 13th century Morgan le Fay had a child with Julius Caesar making Dresden Oberon, if this was indeed one of Butcher's inspirations. Since Julius Caesar would be a representation for his father descending from royalty Dresden would thus be able to wield a one of the swords (however this one is more than a little flimsy). Interestingly enough Oberon was married to Titania or had Mab as his consort depending on which story you are reading.

Here is the list of the characters of old that each of the characters in the Dresden Files are based after, that I could find and think of (more to be added later).

Sidhe: aes sidhe
    Titania: Titania
    Mab: Queen_Mab and Queen_of_Air_and_Darkness
    Dresden: ?Oberon?
    Malcolm Dresden: ?Julius_Caesar?
    Margaret Gwendolyn LeFay Dresden: Morgan_Le_Fay and Gwendolyn is a Welsh female name mean 'white ring'
    The Merlin: If you don't know I'm not going to tell you.
    Leanansidhe: Leanan_Sidhe
    Elaine: Elaine

Sorry just had to get that off my chest.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008