1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Movies Worth Watching

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Hawthorne, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Hawthorne

Hawthorne Guest

I am preparing for a 4 week trip to France without Internet... Rural France. So I've been trying to THE MPAA RAPED ME and collect as many great movies as possible to keep me busy. Any ideas which ones are a must-haves and which ones are a waste of precious space?

Chick flicks are acceptable if they are extremely entertaining. I'd say no to horror because I've pretty much seen them all... (and that was not a challenge to propose the most obscure shit... unless it really really rules).

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2008
  2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can highly recommend the HBO T.V. series "Rome". Both seasons are awesome. All the films I'd recommend you've probably already seen (Gladiator etc).

3. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    The usual suspects is a great movie. If you haven't seen it yet of course.

4. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

I'm currently going through a House phase. Downloaded 3 entire seasons last night. I dropped it a while ago and then picked it back up just for kicks.

5. Hawthorne

Hawthorne Guest

Where do you people buy your movies? And don't expect me to have seen anything. I've notoriously little patience for movies... I just can't carry 4 weeks worth of books, at my usual pensum of one-per-day when I am bored, with me.

6. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

I download the torrents at THE FBI SEES ALL and then use UTorrent to finish it off.

7. Skeletaure

High Score:
  8. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

2001 A Space Odyssey, for sure. Its a classic. Its sequal, 2010, as well. Its not as good as the first, in my opinion, and the books themselves are much better than the movies, but they're both good.

Just watched a movie called Sunshine recently. Its Sci-fi, much like 2001, and its like Event Horizion in nature, except there is no trans-world demonic retardedness. They've set out to save the sun from dying, and the crew is aboard the Icarus I, if I recall. I generally liked it.

Dances with Wolves is a classic. The Post-man, and Waterworld too. I don't know if you'd consider them epic or not, but they're cool enough to watch. Jerimiah Johnson, as well. Both JJ and Dances with Wolves are good western-ish movies. If your into any Clint Eastwood, there is Outlaw Josie Wales, Two Mules for Sister Sarah, Unforgiven, Good the Bad and the Ugly, Hang'em High, High Plains Drifter. Those are all great, IMO. Also, Clint's Dirty Harry movies. Old-ish, but good.

Also, a sort of odd movie, is Garden State. Has Zach Braff from Scrubs as the main character. Its pretty entertaining, some serious undertones mixed with a bit of comedy. Random bits that might make you laugh.

Zombie movies are a must. Even if you've seen all there is to offer horror wise, you can never get enough Zombie movies. 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead (Old and New), Dawn of the Dead. Just don't watch any of those stupid ones... Like, Zombies on A Plane.

My thoughts exactly.

A newer movie would also be, There Will Be Blood, its based off a story by Upton Sinclair. About a Oil Prospector, set before and in the times of the Great Depression. Pretty interesting.

If I can think of anymore, I'll add some later.

Like Taure said, also, Rome is great. I really enjoyed seasons one and two.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  9. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

D: No warez talk! As for movies... In Bruges is good. Cheech and Chong up in smoke is epic (it has a few sequels that are supposed to be good as well). The 25th hour (<3 Fryer Rabbit). Hot Fuzz... :/ All I can think of.

EDIT: The unbearable lightness of being. 'Nuff said.

10. Skeletaure

High Score:
    ^^Those are all crap (Zombie's recs). Not a single big-budget blockbuster among them. 2001 is just a big yawn-fest. Also:

HATE.

Seriously, I've never seen a movie quite as depressing as Garden State. The whole thing is about death. That's my interpretation at least.

In other news, American Gangster is really good.

11. Spacks

Spacks Order Member DLP Supporter

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
    Snatch
    3 10 to Yuma
    Transporter 1 and 2

12. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

I've recently been looking into 50's movies. Theres some real gems like 12 Angry Men. Look in the IMDB top 100 for ones you haven't seen.

13. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

What Taure, no movie love?

I hate big-budget movies. They're usually overly CG/ stupid/ popular because everyone is like they're teh epic. When, really, they're not.

I'll admit, Garden State is an aquired taste.

Spaghetti Westerns are good. Even if they didn't make mucho dinero. Its the story that counts. Not how much money is spent to make it.

14. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

:D 12 Angry Men! Great film, although I dunno if it's to many people's liking. The 3rd man pwns as well.

15. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

HBO's Rome. The Quiet Man with John Wayne. All of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. Hellraiser. 3:10 to Yuma. Silver Bullet with Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder. Young Frankenstein. The Toy with Richard Pryor.

Im sure I could come up with more if I try.

16. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Boondock Saints is an epic movie and for laughs you can't go wrong with Monty Python.

17. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Reservoir Dogs and Trainspotting are good films if you're in the right mood, and you can't get much better than dead babies crawling on ceilings.

18. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a must.

19. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Half-Baked, Big Daddy, and The Last Samurai are good choices. And yes, the movie was decent even if Cruise is a douche.

20. eXcalite

eXcalite Seventh Year

Everythin from Monthy Pyton, Guy Richie, Quentin Tarrentino and movie with Kim Bodnia (i.e. Good Cop, Pusher Trilogy and "In China they eat Dogs 1&2).

Leon, Boondock Saints, 23, Old Boy, The Business, Fear and Loathing and my alltime favorite: American Psyco (on that note; everything with Christian Bale is pure win)

edit: damn. you guys posted three of my movies while I was typing