1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Is Ron an asshole?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jenko, Feb 9, 2017.

1. LightLordPotter

LightLordPotter Disappeared

High Score:
    You're under the impression that Ron was somehow forced into this. Harry had attempted to ward them off coming on this journey several times, but they were adamant about going; he told them all he could—they were still adamant about going. They knew the risks, they knew what it was going to be like, Ron was unprepared and arrogant.

Once again, his choice. He had every opportunity to leave, he had every opportunity to not go. He had no obligations to Harry, and Harry would have likely felt less betrayed if he just didn't go in the first place.

He's 18 years old. Teenage hormones have nothing to do with this, nor do I think Rowling ever presented that in the story as an obvious threat. You keep repeating about how Ron is only human, but that just shows me that he's one dimensional. Some people theorize that he is exactly like them, and that is why individuals dislike his character. I think that's a pretty big generalization. People dont' like Ron because he doesn't progress. He's been doing the same thing, over and over again, it's like watching a broken record continually regressing. People dislike him because he is uninteresting.

2. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Sigh.

Once again, Ron in DH is an issue of the Horcrux, and JKR specifically​ goes ot of her way to mention​ it through Hermione. And then has Harry ignore it. In both cases of Ron's supposed abandonment, it is Harry who escalates the argument and can't back down. In GoF, he is the one who starts yelling, escalating it to a true fight.

All in all, Harry can be a real ass whenever someone crosses him. Yet, for some unknown reason, he gets treated like a Gary Stu by readers (although he was not written that way).

3. LightLordPotter

LightLordPotter Disappeared

High Score:
    Would prefer direct responses so I can get the notifications (or maybe you are and I'm just not getting them for some reason or another).

Yet Rowling also specifically states that the Horcrux doesn't create Dark emotions, it capitalizes on what is already there. It's even further expressed when Ron sees his biggest fear materialize from it. And my, my, it only goes to show that he is more superficial and selfish than I thought.

His biggest fear is not that Harry and Hermione would die, it's that they would end up together and independent from him. He's just about the worst friend I think I've ever seen.

I always attribute that to Harry being the most human out of any of the characters. Though he isn't written as a male would be written (primarily due to a female writer and her ghost writers spending all their time in the World Building Department), he was always the most third-dimensional of the characters within the series.

I don't believe so. I think it's the annoyance of most of the audience that makes them want him to reach his full potential. He is shown to be a natural prodigy in Charms and Transfiguration, yet never utilizes them in Battles. He shows interest in reading books (even reading ahead during the first year akin to Hermione), yet he never capitalizes on that when he needs it most.

4. Dysentia

Dysentia Squib

For the most part, he is a little slow to pick up on some social cues and is generally seen as the guy who just wants to have fun without the responsibilities. Once the years roll by, he becomes less and less of an A-hole but he still screws up in sometimes goofy ways.

5. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Can someone please just lock this thread already. You can break down the majority of the posts on this to

a. Squibs who post about how Ron is, in fact, an asshole. They aren't very long and can be very repetitive, and the post was clearly made to help get the post count up.

b. Somebody (usually but not always me) posts a long, detailed, and also repetitive response to that about how Ron is, in fact, not an asshole. Why, he is so perfect and pure said someone would argue he doesn't even have an asshole to begin with.

c. Somebody replies to that and argues that Ron may not be the asshole certain segments of the Fandom claim, but he has his asshole moments that should be acknowledged by the above, who is clearly going over-reacting to all the Ron-Hate and going to the other extreme of defending Ron to the death.

d. Person b (again, usually myself) admits that Ron has his asshole moments, but they aren't as bad as everyone thinks, the circumstances make his actions relatively understandable, and/or his own friends did much worse things.

It's very exhausting and boring for everyone involved. It is a thread told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. So can I please put forward the motion that this extremely repetitive thread be Locked, and all the nuisance be put behind us?

6. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    Or, you could just, you know, use the forum feature made expressly for this purpose and ignore the thread?

But yeah, I get where you're coming from. This thread really is going nowhere, what with the same arguments either proposing or opposing the thread topic being rehashed and spun a dozen different ways already.

7. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    When that occurred ? (referring to Harry)
    Ron has his issues, he also suffers from JKR failures.
    Which is why fandom can make marvelous work, especisally Vlad work.
    What would Broz do.

8. gaouw

gaouw Squib

High Score:
    Yay... another Ron is an asshole thread.

I agree with Rhaegar's post though. Whether you hate Ron, love him, or just ambivalent about him, this is an overly oft-repeated argument that in no way give any new insight in the character that is Ron.

Let's just agree to disagree, yeah?

9. projectazuh

projectazuh Squib

High Score:
    Personally I'm not a huge fan of his character purely because he doesn't seem to grow at all throughout the series. He has his good points, but they are all too often overshadowed by his selfish nature and desire to not be in the shadow of others, which always seems to result in people accepting him back with no consequences therefore ensuring he never learns from his mistakes and continues to repeat them.

10. Puff n Stuff's Hufflepuff

Puff n Stuff's Hufflepuff Squib

High Score:
    I think Ron has been a bit of a prick as the series went on (especially in book six where he threw a little hissy fit because Harry was trying to 'steal' the glory in quidditch), but in the beginning I think Ron was more of an annoyance than anything (like Neville but not as likeable).

The real question is, why is Ron/Scabbers not popular?

11. silverslash

silverslash Squib

High Score:
    ron has forsaken harry countless times and his jealousy'd y is also a problem, I always thought harry'd be better off severing ties. Ron abandoned him in his time of greatest need on the horcrux hunt. If thats not betrayal then what is?

12. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Your post. It clearly betray your lack of intelligence and ability to write and read.

13. Masticarno

Masticarno Squib

High Score:
    I've always thought of Ron as more of an imbecile than an asshole. He does have times when he acts like an asshole, however he also shows loyalty on a great many other occasions.My reasoning for calling him an imbecile mostly stems from the whole fourth year abandonment fiasco. Seeing as harry has faced lifethreatening conditions the past three years, He should have at least slightly expected someone to off harry using the tournament.

14. Don

Don Sent Back to India

High Score:
    Ron was not my favourite character I found him rather annoying. To me, if someone is a true friend they will stand beside you even if they are jealous and Ron did not really do this.

15. Suliac

Suliac Squib

High Score:
    He abandonned Harry twice, made many mistakes but he also has done some good, getting Harry out of Privet Drive and helping him reach the Stone... I think it makes it up.

16. kwrobes

kwrobes Squib

I think most of the time I dislike Ron because in canon he is a fairly boring supporting character. He has no real ambitions and he has plenty of arcs where he gets upset at his friends and then redemption arcs. I think the fact that the character is established with such a personality in canon leads me to believe that, unless he's the main character in the fanfic, he won't be anything interesting or special. Oftentimes, when reading fanfic for me, a lot of credit goes towards a new, unique idea rather than a retelling of canon which may lead to the dislike of Ron.

17. adamsmitgh

adamsmitgh Squib

High Score:
    Ron is a moronic slob that doesn't know there's a difference between his food, chess and sleep life, and everybody else's life. I hate him for believing life owes him something just for existing.

18. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Hey pal you seem to have a hate boner for Ron, but most of your complaints about him are largely things exemplified by fanon. Ron was many more things in Canon than you're portraying him here.

19. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I am 75% sure this jackass is the same wanker who does shit like this again and again.

20. James

James Unspeakable

Like… "Hmm, I haven't created a new username on DLP this quarter." And then he goes, creates a new account, and starts 10 shit threads? Holy shit, what a hobby.