1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter and the Natural 20 by Sir Poley - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Speakers, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

Title: Harry Potter and the Natural 20
    Author: Sir Poley
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action/Humor
    Library Category: AU
    Pairings: None
    Chapters: 29
    Words: 141,224
    Updated: January 3, 2013
    Published: May 7, 2012

Summary: Milo, a genre-savvy D&D Wizard and Adventurer Extraordinaire is forced to attend Hogwarts, and soon finds himself plunged into a new adventure of magic, mad old Wizards, metagaming, misunderstandings, and munchkinry.
    Link: FanFiction.Net

This was posted in the Almost Recommended thread and it's one of the most hilarious fics I've read. I went into this with no knowledge of D&D rules and no expectations but the author handles it really well. Harry is not the major character but the protagonist is really just a plug-in for what other fics generally use Harry as.

About the story, the best part has to be the complete dissonance between the HP and DnD worlds. The author does not pretend to have the magic mix in any way and simply accepts them as completely separate. Although at the point that the story is in, they are starting to mix and it might jump the shark soon. The protagonist still follows the laws of his old universe and this often leads to hilarious outcomes.

Bad qualities would be that the HP characters are a bit out of character sometimes. But for what it sets out to be, it accomplishes perfectly. Some of the meta DnD stuff applied to the HP world is really inspired.

5/5.

Checked by Minion, February 4, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  2. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

To expand on what I said in the Almost recommendable, I really hate Milo as a character. He's annoying, stupid and isn't trying to fit, but rather waiting for the world to accommodate to him.

It is hilarious at some points, out of sheer stupid stubbornness that Milo is using to solve the challenges.

All in all, trying to rate this thing, I have come up with 3.25/5. Good enough to be worthy of a read, but don't expect much beside the goofiness and the fun from implausibility.

(Gifts to NPCs are were really funny, though.)

Also, I guess a background in RPG can help until a certain point, too much will make some of the jokes tiring. That also might be my opinion and other RPG players might enjoy it a lot.

3. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

It's a good but niche fic. At first, the description made me think it would probably suck, but I gave it a chance and it had me laughing several times. I'm going to keep following this fic for updates, not just because I think it's funny but because I'm somewhat curious how everything will turn out.

I think most people probably won't enjoy this fic as much as I did, but I'd say give it a chance- especially if you're familiar with RPGs. You don't need in-depth DnD knowledge to appreciate the fic, but it might help.

4/5

4. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

Pretty funny. Worth a read at least.

3.5/5 rounding up, for me.

5. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

I agree with the others about this being a niche fic, but it's very much my niche, so I've enjoyed the ride. I already discussed this fic in Almost Recommended, so that's all I have to say about it at the moment. The humor is top-notch, and the incompatibility of the two universes is played to the hilt: "If Gringotts' security is so good, why is it overrun with goblins?" Brilliant.

All in all, I think I'll give it 4.5/5, but rounded down because it does have some issues I mentioned in the other thread and is pretty slowly paced besides. Still, I'd wholeheartedly support putting this into the Library.

6. Katricia

Katricia DA Member

I think this story is hilarious. Chapter 7 (I think?), when Milo is given a potion by Professor Snape, in particular had me nearly in tears.

It's interesting, clearly well-thought-out, and is written such that you can understand what's going on even if, like me, you don't know anything about D&D starting out.

4/5

7. KingRoger

KingRoger Second Year

I read this yesterday and although I only have a very brief understanding of D&D, I loved it. The characterization is spot on, the humor to story ratio is smooth, and the comedy is gold. The plot's moving quickly and doesn't seem forced, and I'm really looking forward to the next chapter.

8. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

I read this and it had genuinely funny parts. But Milo just feels lacking in the assimilation part of a "Putting character X into world Y". Also it feels like if he's reading through half of the library he should have run into Arithmancy, which can easily help him with spell creation. Overall a good read though 4/5.

9. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

This is a pretty fun fic. 4.5/5 for me thus far, out of sheer enjoyment. One slight nitpick: I'm sure how I feel about the apparent Milo/Hannah pairing. I think it would have been better to wait later and set up a Milo/Luna pairing instead.

10. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The author seems confused as to whether he is writing from the perspective of a character, or the player of a character, or simply an observer. Be nice if he stuck to a single style.

Other than that, no more than mildly amusing, every so often.

11. Ledivin

Ledivin Squib

There are times when the humor gets a bit overboard and extra-narrative, but I am otherwise absolutely in love with this story. It's not perfect, though so 4/5

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I know very little about DnD, but this is interesting. Neat how the author incorporates another type of spellcasting.

Chapter 1 would have turned me off though had I not seen this on DLP. The adults at Hogwarts just seem a bit too much on the stereotypical irritating/stupid adult side of things.

I do like his reason for attending Hogwarts though, after all it's what the plot seems to be demanding of him. Plus those damn cultists probably have loads of neat magical items and gold ;P. It recaptures some of the fun feel of the original story where the protagonist is in awe of certain aspects of the new world he finds himself in.

...but yeah, the characterizations of everyone except the protagonist in Chapter 1 really piss me off.

Too early to rate but I'm going to keep reading for another few chapters and edit then.

Edits:
    Made me laugh. The RPG elements *are* neat, and often apply to RPGs in general and not just DnD (since I'm catching a good bit of it).

What I like about this, and what makes it work as a guilty pleasure fic for me, is that the entire thing is... just like a big game to Milo. It's deadly serious, sure, but it's also like it's a big game at the same time.

Tentative 3.5/5 for now, rounding down. The characterizations of everyone who isn't Milo just rub me way too much the wrong way. I'm half a dozen chapters in and not sure if continuing, but that's enough to rate imo.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  13. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

This is a pretty standard style for RPG-based humor that's been around for a long time (the original well-known example is The Intercontinental Union of Disgusting Characters, from 1986). It's a fairly natural route to take when writing a story that follows an RPG's rules literally; most RPGs do such a poor job of modeling reality that the only alternative to self-aware characters is an insane mess.

14. R. Daneel Olivaw

R. Daneel Olivaw Groundskeeper

With the conclusion of the first year of the story there was a resurgence of fun in the last chapters that sort of faded a bit before short hiatus.

Some of the humor in this story has general appeal, while other parts are very much limited to people who really have a grasp of PnP roleplay concepts and can get how it's being used (or abused!) in the story. So, I really understand the mixed ratings this story is getting here.

I enjoy it immensely. There are a few duller chapters, but for the most part it is brilliant and definitely a breath of fresh air.

A few things I think can help readers appreciate the story:

1. The characterization is mostly from the perspective of how Milo views the characters.
    2. Milo views everything the way a player playing a character views things.
    3. There is a lot of lampooning and lampshading. What may seem like a poor characterization is most likely an intentional magnification of one aspect of the character done for comedic purposes. If you take it seriously it isn't good characterization. If you take it as caricature it is more enjoyable (and what the author intends).

15. elemsky7

elemsky7 First Year

Exactly.

I really enjoyed the beginning of this story. It was laugh-out-loud funny at times (and I don't know DnD but I do know game RPGs so the references worked).

A few chapters before the end though the story became a bit boring (the voice or style changed). Then it suddenly picked up again and ended really well making me look forward to the next year.

Milo utilizing Harry, Hermione and even Ron as his party\companions was a good move and I hope there's more mixing of the two types of magic systems. Also what's a good RPG without the side characters? I'd love for him to assign roles to them mentally (the tank, the healer, etc.).

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  16. theronin

theronin Order Member

Who needs tanks and healers? All mage parties are the way to go. Healers are for the weak!

17. Photon

Photon Order Member

One of my favourite stories and an example of perfectly handled crossover.

But I am not fan of recent police subplot, Obliviators were the only competent part of government in the canon.

18. readerboy7

readerboy7 Fourth Year

the characters are flanderised for humour value sometimes, but i don't mind that. i like how quirrelmort and lockhart are better than in canon, but the police subplot isn't great (unless it's trying to create a broken masquerade) . 4/5

19. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

It's pretty funny, and nothing else. The beginning of the story is confusing in a really annoying way, Milo isn't Genry Savvy, he is delusional, the author should reread the definition of Genre Savvy. He does have moments where he is, but he is mostly delusional. But the biggest flaw? Milo, he is unlikable and mainly because of him I'm giving a 3,25. I agree completely with Nauro on him.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  20. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

I like this story. It's funny, and for the most part a fun form of the "insert character" fic. There are a few chapters where the author seemed to be less inspired or perhaps didn't have time to revise.

I want to keep reading and am following the sequel so I'd give it 4/5.