1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Community

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Averis, Dec 7, 2009.

1. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Donald's in five consecutive eps, but no we don't know if he'll show up later on (Like a finale cameo or something, don't think it's been filmed yet). He's not being replaced with another black guy, nor will they give Abed another Troy replacement, though there'll be a plot or two about that very thing. Professor Duncan'll be showing up for multiple episodes, again not as a replacement, but his presence should help bring the funny, as well as somedat guest stars like Nathan Fillion, Walton Goggins, Mitch Hurwitz, and everyone else under the freakin' sun I haven't named. And we've got ten out of the next eleven eps with Professor Hickey in them too, so!

So, lots to look forward to, even without Troy. I think it'll be a fun ride. But hey, Donald might show up again. In the movie after the sixth season, unquestionably!

2. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

It's still so good.

3. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Latest episode was the first of the season that I thought was great. Not quite top ten for me, but I do think it is top 15 for sure. I love episodes where the characters air their dirty laundry, though.

4. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So just Troy's last episode and wow. I thought they were going to try and keep a light hearted tone and I loved the whole school wide "Floor is Lava" game but that shit got twelve kinds of sad quick.

So just some thoughts of mine.
    1. Like I said, I loved the game. Community absolutely kicks ass with stuff like that.
    2. The jury rigged doom tractor was just fucking hilarious.
    3. "Troy and Abed in a bubble!"
    4. Britta grated on every last one of my nerves every single minute of this episode. I never really hated her before but I honestly found myself hoping she'd fall off a chair and get a concussion just so she would shut the fuck up.
    5. That ending in the basement even with how they tried to inject humor in it was just depressing and a touch disturbing. Abed talking about making the game go on forever so Troy wouldn't leave was an incredibly accurate yet depressing way of showing how much he'll miss Troy.
    6. The slightly disturbing part to me was Abed, I knew he wasn't what you would really call sane but that's full blown hallucinations. Im not bitching about it, it was just very surprising.
    7. All things considered though it was one hell of a sendoff for Donald Glover, the final goodbye to the group as Captain Barnes and his first mate Levar Burton set off on their round the world trip was fantastic. Glover was one hell of a funny guy and I can only hope that they'll get him to stop in for an episode or two every now and again from here on out.

5. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

You had me until the Britta comment, Krogan. Something beautiful could've arisen here, but now I have to go back in time and erase you from existence, then go back again and make you come back and somehow with the knowledge of your mistake, and then you'll be humbled by your brief nonexistence somehow and then fixed for the better! I don't know how it'll work, but I'm no timetravelologist.

Britta for the win. She's a mess of a person who is at least trying to do what's right, and despite getting shit on about it she always finds a way to bounce back into trying to help people. Sincere and honest about it, and for all the bad wiring and trauma in her system from her life so far, she doesn't succumb in the long run. And she does it while being adorkable as fuck, I mean, c'mon. For this ep she just wanted to make sure everyone being left behind by Troy - including herself - could pre-emptively cope before they broke down after the fact. Did it in a very Britta-ish way, but the spirit behind it is beautiful to me, and she scored several triumphs all over the place. In short, you hate Britta, you hate life.

Also, Abed having hallucinations is too far? Hell, Abed's claymation episode, Evil Abed multiple times... At least this time Abed acknowledged it was in his head, knew the reasoning behind it, and he wanted it to go away, he just didn't know how to go about it. Dude's crazy, and no doubt gonna get crazier with Troy gone...

But yeah, I thought the ep was fantastic, as has been the whole season. A bit more cynical in tone, but as long as it's more of a S3 situation with some counterbalancing happiness and resolve in the end, it's all cool. Guess we'll see. Eight eps left for this season, and Season 6 actually has a good shot of happening; NBC exec recently said it was a good possibility, and ratings have actually matched and sometimes exceeded the rest of the network's stuff (Yes the network's stuff has all gone down overall, but hey if it makes Community look good to 'em), and Sony will want to sign off because if they get more eps they can breach Ep 100 (S5 ends on Ep 97) and get syndication rights in the bag and that means lots of money for Sony.

#sixseasonsandamovie. Donald'll prolly be back for the movie, at least.

6. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

Loved the new episode!

Nathan Fillion! And the return of Coat-Rack Girl! I really hope she becomes a more recurring cast member now to fill the void Troy left as Abed's partner.

7. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yep, I've been really liking this season so far.

Still haven't watched any of season four, and I'm probably just not going to. They keep referring to it as a "gas leak year" so I guess that means they don't want to acknowledge it much anyway.

8. Ash

Kumail Nanjiani and Brie Larson <3 <3

9. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

I've been loving the season so far myself, even their episodes that feel a little off (Asscrack Bandit), feel off in the way the season 1-3 eps felt of, if that makes any sense.

...Ok, at the risk of being shunned forever, does everyone despise season 4? I personally didn't. In fact, I have fond memories of it. It wasn't the best, but I remember thinking that if they ended it like they did in the last episode, and it wasn't renewed, I'd have been ok with that.
    And not in a 'it's so horrible it needs to be put down' sort of way. More in a 'this is...a content ending I can be satisfied with' way.
    If I'm alone in this, I guess I am, but if not, it'd be great to hear others' thoughts.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  10. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

I enjoyed it. Some of it was going too far in the realm of zany for the show, but overall I wasn't exactly pining for the show-founder to come back.

11. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I think Jeff summed it up best in the first epsiode of the current season.

12. Sloth

Something vague about scotch giving him strength. Yep, sounds about right.
    I do think the knots episode, the origins, and the one where he meets his dad are really great ones I'd watch again easily.

Also, on the subject of season 5, everyone else find it weird that Gilbert hasn't been mentioned once during the Pierce-is-dead eps? He was introduced before season 4, so he's not someone trying to be brushed off, right?
    And on that note, how can Pierce leave everything to Troy when everything is Gilbert's? Did he have other investments I wasn't aware of?

13. Sloth

Double-post here, but I want to see if we can keep this one going:

I saw the latest ep earlier today, and I have to say...I love Jonathan Banks, I really do, but sometimes he is very distracting in this show.
    I don't look at him and see Buzz Hickey, I look at him and inevitably go "oh, hey Mike! The hell are you doing here? How'd you survive the bullet? Did your grandkid get a happy ending? I NEED to know she got a happy ending!"
    Breaking Bad may have made him too iconic a face. xD
    Anyone else have this problem?

14. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I haven't seen Breaking Bad, so no. I don't think I've seen anything with that guy in it.

Oh, well looking at his Wikipedia page apparently I've seen several films with him. But he's so old now I barely recognize him.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  15. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

His character is an ex-cop who quit because of red tape bullshit. So yes, it's very likely intended to invoke Mike Ehrmantraut.

16. Ash

Keep what going, exactly?

17. Sloth

The discussion.

True. I can't decide if it's a good addition or not.
    Also, does anyone know if that scene at the end with the billboard and the dean with his lackeys was a reference to something? Because it really felt like it was even though it went completely over my head.

18. Ash

We are all so thrilled that you are keeping the discussion going in all of these threads.

19. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

I was thinking of favorite Community episodes and realized people have widely divergent favs.

Remedial Chaos Theory is probably my favorite because I am obsessed with time travel\alternate realities and it was just so well done.

Digital Estate Planning is one that I have surprisingly watched several times because I love that game (and being transported into a game, vr gaming).

What are some of your favorite or top five episodes?

20. Ash

In chronological order, not in order of how much I like them.

1. Aerodynamics of Gender: jumping on the trampoline and Abed as the ultimate mean girl.
    2. Cooperative Calligraphy: bottle episode with the pen
    3. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: self explanatory
    4. Remedial Chaos Theory: the all-time funniest moment for me in the whole show, Troy walking in with the pizza.
    5. Horror Fiction in Seven Spooky Steps: everyone tells their version of a horror story.
    6. Digital Estate Planning: The video game episode. Absolutely love this one.