1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Snape-centric fics (Not necessarily romance)

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Lumos, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Lumos

Lumos Squib

Hello all. I was looking for some good Snape centric fics. Snape should initially have his canon personality (reasonable deviations allowed). It can be a romance, though non romance fics are perfectly welcome. Also, I don't want to read Yaoi but since this thread will be read by users who enjoy them, please mention if the fic is Yaoi.

Oh, and Harry may or may not be present.

Here's a few recommended by me-
    Pet Project by Caeria.
    Summary-Hermione overhears something she shouldn't concerning Professor Snape and decides that maybe the House-elves aren't the only ones in need of protection.

Harry Potter, M, English, Romance, chapters: 52, words: 338k , favs: 8k , follows: 6k , updated:Jun 9, 2013published:Mar 4, 2005, Hermione G., Severus S.

The summary may sound cheesy but it actually is a wonderful fic. Their are many subplots scattered throughout the captivating main storyline, with Snape slowly growing to care about Hermione. For those of you who are weirded out by the schoolgirl-teacher pairing, this fic actually does not delve into the romantic relationship of the two until the very end, though the budding interest can be seen on behalf of both parties.

Always in your shadow by Arinus

Summary-Severus Snape discovers he has a daughter, born of a brief affair with Bellatrix Lestrange. First, a journey to reachthe frightened, emotionally damaged child, and then a full-blown mental war, as Bellatrix manages to possess the girl from her cell in Azkaban. Among other things, an in-depth exploration of Occlumency.

Another good one. Features a young (21 yr old) Severus who has recently been made the Potion master of Hogwarts, and a fanatically loyal Bella's mentally tortured daughter. A tale of how the quiet daughter and her socially awkward father bond, and heal each other. Though it is a dark fic, it has a very sweet ending. I loved this one. It's sequel? Not so much.

Iruka at Hogwarts by KT-chan88

Summary-Iruka was a sensible man, really. Ok, so jumping into a swirling vortex to save Naruto was not really a work of a sensible man. It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Severus is one of the main characters in this brilliantly written NarutoxHP crossover set in GoF. A funny tale of how the WW deals with Iruka and Naruto who've been transported to their world. This one is incomplete, but still a worthy read.

Come once again and love me by laventadorn

Summary-Severus wakes up in the afterlife expecting something rather different than being almost-seventeen again. Seriously, what kind of game is this? But wait - Lily's come back, too - from 1981? Perhaps it's a second chance... but to do what? SS/LE

Harry Potter, M, English, Drama & Angst, chapters: 25,words: 188k , favs: 657, follows: 204, updated:Jan 27, 2012published:Dec 25, 2011, Severus S., Lily Evans P.

This is one of the best fics I have ever read. Not only a 38 yr old Severus, but also a 21 yr old Lily come back in time, both trying to fix what went wrong. The story is more about them trying to figure out how to make it so that the least noumber of people die, and dealing with their emotional baggage, in the process rediscovering their friendship than it is about romance.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  2. Russano

Russano Disappeared

Ewww.

/10char

3. fire

fire Order Member

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6306296/1/The-Apprentice

A snape-goes-back fic, but one with an interesting twist - he takes a different path to reach the goal of destroying the hoxcruxes. Technically superb, this story also has gotten the characterization and voice of the characters. Probably my favourite Snape story.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3735743/2/The-Moment-It-Began

You may have heard of this one. Likely the most popular Snape-time-travel story in the fandom, if not the one that started the whole trope in the first place, like Nightmares of Future Past did for HP peggy-sues.

Edit:

And this being DLP, you should expect some people have an irrational, instinctive aversion to anything Snape.

4. Lumos

Lumos Squib

Haha. Yep. I noticed. Well... They're entitled to their own opinions, I'm entitled to mine :D

I'll read The apprentince. Last I checked, it was incomplete, so I just left it.

Here's another one-

The Scarecrow by nascently

Summary-Lily wins theFelix Felicis in sixth-year Potions. It turns out her perfect day is identical to what Severus's would have been...with a catch.

Lily gets the Felixis Felicis potion, and thus has the luckiest day of her life. She confronts Snape again, and this time, luck is with her. Their friendship becomes stronger than ever. Without spoiling anything, I'll judt say that this Snily fic is a tearjerker. The start is canon compliant, the end is canon compliant. The time in-between can be arguably called the most happy time for Severus and Lily. It is quite believably written.

5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You know what? Read Prince of the Dark Kingdom. It's massive, one of the best fanfics in the fandom and it features Snape quite prominently.

6. Stan

Stan Order Member

Snily? Really? Please tell me you just invented that name and that Snily isn't actually a thing.

(Also, while I don't mind Snape centric fics in general, I'm oddly inclined to draw the line at Snape/Hermione and Snape/Harry.)

In any case, A Difference in Family : The Snape Chronicles is almost always recc'd when this topic comes up. I haven't read all of it, but what I have read is quite good and I intend to finish it sometime in the future. The author has several other generally well received Snape-centric fics as well, though I haven't read any of them myself.

Also, what Scott_Press said. Prince of the Dark kingdom has the best characterization of Snape in the fandom.

7. Lumos

Lumos Squib

Considering the quality and length of that fic it has got a very disproportionate no. of reviews. Apart from the fact that this is a Snape fic, are there any other reasons people avoid it so much?

I like the initial chapters, though I think the accent was somewhat overdone. Anyway, thatnks for the rec.

Prince of the dark kingdom -It's got reviews but is huuuge and sadly, incomplete. Do you guys know if the writer is going to update? Anyway, I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks :D

Found another one-

Six Years, Six Applicants by Sarah1281

Summary-Chronicling Dumbledore's never-ending and sometimes desperate attempts to fill the Defense Against the Dark Arts postion with anyone but Snape and Snape's persistent attempts to land the job anyway.

Harry Potter, K , English, Humor, chapters: 6, words: 11k , favs: 875, follows: 114, updated:Jan 20, 2009 published:Jan 6, 2009, Albus D., Severus S.

You guys must definitely know this writer. This fic is hilarious. :lol:
    I just use it as an abbreviation for SeverusxLily, a non-canon ship. I like it, though I can definitely understand why mmany won't. Just like like SnapexJermione and SnapexHarry, it's not everyone's cup of tea :lol: (I can't stand Snarry too. Actually Pet Project was the fic that convinced me that the former pairing was feesible. I've never tried reading the Snarry ones. :p

8. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

Unless this is a crack fic or a post in TGYRM (Nukular Winter is a sick man), this should never be a thing. That's just creepy as all hell.

Anyway, I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but Rewriting the Song and The Wrath of the Half Blood Prince are both pretty popular Snape fics.

9. Lumos

Lumos Squib

:lol:

You should give it a try. It is more about healing. Hermione's feelings (which intensify very slowly, as she gets to know him) can be read as entirely platonic. The real romance starts after she leaves school and is an official. Many, many years later. (and actually is not explored. Just a snippet in the last chapter)

As I said, Snape pairings are not everyone's cup of tea, especially this one :lol:

I just read Rewriting the Song's first two chapters and omg they're amazing!

10. Chilli

Chilli Seventh Year DLP Supporter

You may also want to try GreenGecko's fics. Her Resonance trilogy is two thirds done, and the first two stand up well on their own. The third one is 80+ chapters but I don't remember how close it is to finishing. I'm pretty sure there's a thread somewhere here (library or almost recommendable)

11. Lumos

Lumos Squib

I checked them out- didnt like Revolutions but Resonance seems to be good. Thanks :D

An unwritten future by Aurette.

Summary-Still struggling with the aftermath of the war, Hermione decides to leave everything behind to go find herself. She travels further than she could have ever imagined without going anywhere at all. Along the way, she discovers someone she mistakenly thought she'd known... AU, M.

Harry Potter, M, English, Romance & Adventure, chapters: 20, words: 106k+, favs: 1k+, follows: 575, updated:Sep 10, 2012published:Aug 23, 2012, Severus S., Hermione G.

A Hermione time travel fic- the best I've read (much better than the one by Anubis ankh and greeneyedbabe, imo) SSHG. The Severus in this one is somewhat soft, reasonable because he didn't cause Lily's death here.

There was a good fic where a Harry from an AU raised by Snape and a mentally ill Lily replaces canon Harry. The story shows how that Harry deals with a bitter, sarcastic version of his step father and the canon! Harry deals with a more reasonable and content(also secretly guilt ridden) version of his teacher. It was a good fic, though I just can't remember its name :/

12. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

You could try Snape's Worst Memory. It's Snape/Lily. I didn't like it as well as I could've, because I am not sure what Snape wants to do with Lily (and why he wants her in the first place),
    when he doesn't seem to enjoy either kissing or talking with her. All affection comes from Lily. It's weird and a litlle unsettling.

13. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

My problem isn't the pairing. I mean if it was time travel and they were around the same age or if she was in her late 20's/early 30's when she first met him and it was a well written fic with a good story I would read it. Though the second option would be a massive AU with Snape and Hermione basically being original characters to make that work. I'm not someone who gets hung up on pairings as long as there is reasonable character development that somewhat makes sense and a good story.

For Snape, you need to do some work and change him as a character. When Harry first enters his classroom, he picks on him like a bully would. Asking him ridiculous questions and throwing in a jab about his fame. Snape does this because he is an extremely petty man and is generally an ass. He even calls Neville an idiot in his first class. That's how he treats 11 year old kids. He's not attractive in the slightest either. His eyes are described as being cold and empty. He has a hooked nose, greasy black hair, sallow skin, and uneven yellowish teeth.

Then you need to look at why he left Lord Voldemort. It wasn't because he was young and got in over his head and realized that the killing and the torturing of others was wrong. It was because of Lily. That was the reason. Think about what that says about his personality.

From what you've said about the fic it takes place in the canon timeline which means he has known her since she was like 11 or 12 years old, was an authority figure in her life for quite a long while, and is old enough to be her father. That alone is fucked up even without having to overcome all of the other stuff related to Snape. That can't be done in a well written story.

14. Chilli

Chilli Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Ah, I've read this one. It's Never Say Remember.
    Edit: I think Lily had a memory problem due to being cursed. She would only remember who she was (or maybe who everybody else was) sporadically.

15. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

It was a curse invented by Snape too. Poor bastard :p

I'm really not a fan of slash, but if you can stomach it, the Saving Connor series by Lightning on the Wave features a very prominent Snape. It's Harry centric, but Snape basically becomes his mentor and father figure and plays a role in every major events. It can be a bit heavy on angst, but it's one of the only 7 books redo I've ever seen and it presents a lot of interesting ideas which might be considered cliché by now but were definitely new when first posted.

16. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The only Snape-centric fic I've ever enjoyed was Soul Play by Snapesforte. It was pulled from the net, but I attach the pdf.

It follows Snape immediately post-HBP and we see his self-serving nature and plans. Dark atmosphere, realistic Snape: he's ugly, he's mean, but he's talented and his loyalties are uncertain. Harry enters the fic relatively late, but he is there. The fic is complete.

Attached Files:

17. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Prince of the Dark Kingdom isn't likely to complete in the short term, but the writer is updating. And really, whilst I don't get the incomplete-so-I-won't-read narrative in general, in this case the fic is split into distinct books, so it's the same as any normal series. He's completed the first 6, which are roughly broken into years as in canon, and is just starting the 7th.

18. Stan

Stan Order Member

Is she, though? The last update was on 18th June 2014, so it's been almost a year now.

It would be real shame if it were actually abandoned after all the effort the work must have taken. And just when Dumbledore was finally taking a direct role in the war and being set up as the primary antagonist......

19. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, I've not been around for all that long. But for me I remember logging on to favorite it, only to find another update waiting for me. Sure, it's nearly a year old, but given how long the story's been going, and that previously the gaps were months-long, I'm not going to say it's discontinued as yet.

20. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Not generally my favorite story subject, because as said earlier, his canon personality is just irredeemable. However, a few good tweaks and an avoidance of slash can make it somewhat bearable.

The Best Revenge is probably my favorite with Snape as a main character.