1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Fleur Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 22, 2007.

1. rocket_runner

rocket_runner Seventh Year

Like sniper said, you could just have it in a wrist holder - or whatever it's called - and then have it disillusioned.

This is a one shot, but I thought you guys might enjoy it: Carpe Slytherin.

There was a discussion a while ago about whether the Delacours were rich or not, and I just thought I'd add my opinion: I always thought the Delacours were well-off. Not filthy rich like the Malfoys, per say, but definitely better than the Weasleys.

Fleur married Bill who obviously doesn't have a lot - if any - money. That can be explained when you consider that Fleur doesn't put a lot of value in money (perhaps because she had it her entire life). Second, Fleur's mother was a veela, too, and as we see in Deathly Hallows that he wasn't very attractive, one can assume that Mr. Delacour had something else going for him (like wealth). Thus, it's safe to assume that Fleur learned not to put much value in money and looks. -shrugs-

Call it shallow, but to get a veela's attention, one would think you would have something going for you and being the heir of an influential family would qualify. And since Fleur ancestors were veela, it's a fair assumption that somewhere along the line, one of them married for money.

Apolline mentioned that she was very good with cleaning charms. Maybe that's because she has zero reason to work and thus spends all her time at home. Also, I think I read a story where Beauxbatons taught etiquette; is cleaning charms too much of a stretch? Or perhaps Apolline takes great pride in managing her house herself?

Point three is Fleur's actual name. Fleur Delacour translates to 'flower of the court', a term for a noblewoman. I think even a half veela is going to think naming your daughter 'noblewoman' when you're a Weasley-like family is a bit prretentious. Thus, I think are similar to the Potters and Longbottoms who are respected families with seats in the Wizengamot.

All that being said, I have to reiterate the point that in Deathly Hallows the Delacours are polite and helpful and I can't see someone as rich and haughty as the Malfoys being like that. Draco, certainly, wouldn't have waited hand and foot on a goblin like Fleur does.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  2. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I don't have time right now to write a proper arguement; It could be that weird thing that happens when people age...how their attractivenes fades as their age rises.(He might have been hawt when Ms.Dealacour married him)

3. rocket_runner

My guess is that the Delacours are in their forties and based off of general knowledge, wizards/witches don't age like we, muggles, do. Take Dumbledore for example: he's over one hundred, right? Yet, he still is as functional as someone in their sixties. My guess is that wizards in their forties/fifties are still going to look like they did in their late twenties.

4. Aces High

Aces High First Year

Joe's Wastelands Of Time is a Harry/Fleur fic that's definitely worth reading, and still in progress too. Work By Author thread here. Last I checked he's waiting until his exams are done before writing more.

5. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

@Rocket: The Gaunts were a noble pureblood family - they lost all of their wealth. So the Delacours could have been a wealthy family centuries ago, but poor by Mr. Delacour's generation. A name's a name *shrug*. And when you have veela blood, you're most likely gonna get an appropriately pretty name. I can't picture any veela being named Ursula, or Martha, or Brunhilda...

My guess? Mr. Delacour knew how to hit that G-spot the way she liked.

As for wizards aging: the Weasley parents were probably in their 50's/60's,and they looked their age. Perhaps the aging process is related to magical power, and those with a larger magical core age at a slower rate.

6. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

Based on what?

7. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Carpe Slytherin sounds like something Jbern's Harry would have done if The Lie I've Lived actually followed the original second task. Pretty neat, although far too short to give it much credit.

Renegade Cause probably won't have a defined relationship, but if it does, it surely will be Harry/Tonks! However, I really have no problem with a Harry/Fleur relationship either.

8. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Wasn't Mrs. Weasley describe as having some grey hairs, and Mr. Weasley as balding?

9. Grubdubdub

I know 20 years old's with the same symptoms.

10. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Now you're being annoying.

No author of a children's book would use those descriptors to convey youth.

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In b4 Taure. No magical cores in Harry Potter >_>.

12. SKsniper128

SKsniper128 Fifth Year

This is J.K. Rowling we're talking about, who knows what she thinks.

-SK

13. Grubdubdub

Maybe it goes to portray 7 children, [not including the missing brother theory...] or them being poor, or the bad hair care products in magical Britian... could be a 100 things.

Yea, now I'm definitely annoying.

14. rocket_runner

Excellent points.

Evidence aside, it's my personal preference that the Delacours have money. It just makes sense to me... that and I'd rather them not have any similarities with the Weasleys. xP

The idea about the magical core age is a good one. It could also be that the Weasleys have had to work hard all their lives in order to stay a-float, and thus their appearance shows that. IRL, one would expect someone who has spent their life working and worrying to look a lot worse to someone who necessarily hasn't had to worry a day of their life. Does that make sense? I'm not sure I did an adequate job of expressing myself.... ;)

---

Averis: You're entirely correct, of course. The chapters of Renegade Cause are certainly providing base for a good Harry/Tonks pairing, but as naive as I am, I'm going to continue hoping for a Harry/Fleur one. :D Either way, the story is quite enjoyable.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  15. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Probably not that anyway. ~_~

16. rocket_runner

Pers, how is DR's sequel coming along? Can we expect posted chapters soon?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  17. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    @rocket_runner (and anyone else): It's coming, but slowly. I've five or six chapters in draft form, most of the story outlined and several scenes written. I expect it to run around 20 to 22 chapters. Like D&R, I plan to write it to completion before I start posting; the plot is complex enough that I don't wish to box myself in by putting stuff out there that's hard to change after the fact.

My A Mother In Law's Love experiment shows that I'm better when I hold off until I've a solid draft in hand. (It's too easy to get distracted/lose interest/get discouraged at low review counts...)

If folks want something to read in the interim, I've a complete crossover novel on my hard drive that just needs editing, a Harry Potter crossed with Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion, the Elric saga. (Harry/Cymoril FTW!) I've held off on it because a) it's in pretty rough shape (it was my NaNoWriMo story from last year and for two and a half weeks, I averaged 5k words a day on it) and needs a fair bit of work, and b) it seems a little pointless, since essentially nobody in the HP fandom has read Moorcock.

18. rocket_runner

Thanks for answering my question. I wasn't sure if perhaps I was crossing some sort of line by asking.... Plus, I'm pretty sure it's annoying. ;)

I think it's awesome that you write the story to completion before posting. If all authors would do that, we wouldn't have the disappointment of abandoned stories (or the pain of waiting for an update).

Anyway, will the sequel cover only Harry's fifth year or do you plan to have it branch even farther?

I've never read Moorcock. :D I take it you recommend his books?

19. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    No problems.

The story (title TBD) will open with a final scene set around the time of the final chapter of D&R:
    Sirius Black is rescued from the Ministry cell by the Unspeakables, whom he later goes on to join as a clandestine agent.
    Then, there's a time skip of several months. The timeline runs through the latter half of Harry's 5th year through early 6th year, though it won't center as much as the first book on his time at Hogwarts or his romance with Fleur. (I'm going to cheat and move them to a semi-mature relationship at the time the story proper picks up). I'm planning for the second book to complete the story.

When I get close to finished, I'll query here for betas.

20. rocket_runner

Gasps.

You can't do that to us Harry/Fleur fans! We must have every goddamn detail and every goddamn word! It would be a travesty to do anything less!

Actually, I totally agree with your decision. Maybe the rest of the H/F community will disagree, but we don't need the sappy letters and small stuff... We want the original meeting, the point where the relationship develops into something more, and then the really serious stuff. (Anal sex is included in the phrase 'really serious stuff'. ;) )

I'm going to keep this simple and short so this thread doesn't turn into a 'Praise Perspicacity' thread - though, you should get one of those - but I'm so goddamn glad that you're an intelligent writer who created a story that actually has a fucking plot. Other authors create Harry/Fleur stories where he's awesome, but they seem to forget that a story isn't some mindless drabble; it has got to have a fucking point.

Ah, sorry for the rant.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009