1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other Fandoms Almost Recommendable: Barely Readable to Almost Good [Volume the First]

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Rhys, May 11, 2010.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

I liked Wishes, to be honest I would have put it up for review despite at times shoddy writing. I liked how Anya progresses as a character as story goes on. Not the mention how it includes both funny and sad parts into the story.

I am truly satisfied with this finding, and considering the sad state of the BTVS fandom that is rare thing indeed.:sherlock:
    Cheers ocs. :awesome

2. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

I discovered Wishes long ago, and I possibly read large sections of it at one point, but I don't remember ever really getting into it. Anya is cool and all but the fic never really sat well with me.

Then again the state of Anya in the BtVS fandom is even more dire than the state of the fandom as a whole, so I guess you take what you get. I've seen her get good representation as a secondary character in some stories (M McGregor and Hotpoint both come to mind as authors), but I don't remember ever reading one where she really excelled in a starring role.

3. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

Interested in some heavy duty "Song of Ice and Fire" AU? Check this out:

Love and Honor

The technical writing is strong, the AU interesting and the author doesn't pull any punches concerning the suffering his/her characters go through. The development of the plot is pretty plausible and one gets some action too, on the battlefield and between bedsheets.

There is also a reason why I post this in "almost recommendable": tons of angst.

3/5
    - a good timewaster.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  4. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Well done Nox. Very good find. I'd give it a 3.5 or a 4/5 though. The angst is tolerable to me, if only considering what the entire Stark family goes through during the course of the series. Not to mention it's starting to pick back up in terms of feel-good moments in the past few chapters, as Ned & Cat start kicking ass and taking names.

I've found one ASOIAF AU myself that's decent:

A Better Fate - Where Jon goes south to the Riverlands as a squire than north to the Wall as a Watchman. 8 chapters of reading so far, and it's pretty decent for what it is. I'm not sure how it's all going to play out in the next 27 chapters, but I'm following it to see.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/633591/chapters/1146436

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  5. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

I like the idea of Jon going south, but personally, I wanna read a story where Jon becomes like a sell-sword and apprentice to Bronn the Badass.

6. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This author has a large collection of BBC Sherlock stories, both in universe and AU. The quality is rather higher than Almost Recommended, but as the stories are all somewhat short (more like long, connected drabbles) I thought it would be best to post them here.

There are two AU plot lines that are well written and moderately entertaining. The author has a fairly low opinion of Anderson and Donovan, in that their characters are portrayed only in the negative, but they have a good handle on the other personalities, particularly Mycroft and Lestrade.

The stories I've been through so far are all told from John's perspective, and Sherlock is a touch more 'human' than he is in the series, but he doesn't lose his abrasive brilliance--although we aren't given any detective work on the level of the tv series from him.

I'd give these a 3.5/5 .

7. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Failure » reviews Team 7 didn't pass the bell test. It was the best thing that ever happened to Naruto.Naruto - Rated: K+ - English - Adventure - Chapters: 5 - Words: 16,121 - Reviews: 200 - Updated: 9-8-12 - Published: 5-27-12 - Naruto U.

It is too short to go in to the library(it is almost like pralogue really) but very nice almost recomended.

8. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Really enjoying this but it's a shame it's so short. 5 chapters/16k words in 3-4 months, with no update in the last 4 months.

I wouldn't mind seeing this picked up by someone on DLP at least

9. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Prologue.

Ontopic: Persona 4 fics? Anyone?

Edit: The story is interesting. I like concept.

But I do agree with what you said. Feels like its still setting things up and boy is it short.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  10. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Genin to Hokage
    Author: CaptainLaughs
    An alternate universe take on Naruto. Characters may be a little older and more professional. Countries and individuals may have more varied political agendas. Good guys are allowed to be subtle, and madmen may be more willing to exploit their advantages to achieve their goals. Idealism and boyish enthusiasm may move hearts and minds, but will not win wars without a little help.
    Rated: Fiction M - English - Fantasy/Drama - Chapters: 6 - Words: 47,636 - Reviews: 3 - Favs: 3 - Follows: 1 - Updated: 02-14-13 - Published: 01-27-13 - id: 8953270

It's a decent story with surprisingly little reviews yet, so I decided to post it. It could eventually go into the library - the potential is there - but there are still some problems with it currently.
    As you can glimpse from the summary, the author wants to make the ninja world somewhat more plausible. The characters are 2-3 years older when they graduate, but you can ignore that part if you don't like it.
    The author is a bit too eager to show off his "fixed" world and a lot of the story is characters explaining stuff to each other. Especially Kakashi lecturing his students takes up a lot of time. I don't mind it that much, but it's not good storytelling either.

There's also no big overarching plot yet, even though we're almost 50k words in, but that isn't really unusual for Naruto fanfiction. (Or the manga for that matter.)

11. Jarsha

Jarsha Seventh Year

Time to whip out the list;

Fairly English Story -Persona 3: FES, only Minato is English, hence the title. Then Minato cheats the game. So the game cheats back. So Minato cheats the world.
    Rather large finished fic, it blows everything out of proportion in a way that I find moderately enjoyable. I feel that it fits this thread rather well actually.
    2.5/5

Persona 4: Face Every Shadow - "Welcome to the Velvet Room. Your predecessor held the power of the Universe. Where will the power of the Wild Card take you, I wonder." Persona 4 followup to SamJaz' Fairly English Story.
    Author supported fan-sequel to FES, if you enjoyed the prequel chances are you'll like this. 2.5/5

Reset - In 2010, Minato Arisato died to save the world. Now it's 2009, and he's alive again, but things are different this time around. For one, who's that girl calling herself Hamuko Arisato and taking over his position in SEES
    Pretty standard time-travel fic, good time waster. 2-3/5

Simulacrum -It has been six years since the fog was lifted from the town of Inaba, but a new fog clouds the minds of its residents. As Souji Seta returns from his long absence, he must find a way to free them or else lose the bonds of friendship forever.
    Essentially a sequel to P4; I don't particularly care for it, but I suppose it fits the requirements of the thread. 2/5

Everything else is more or less romance with Brosuke/MC or Kanji/MC/Naoto .
    If you enjoy those... Well, I can post a few if you want.

12. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Read the First Two and the Fourth. Have not read the third will try.

Also yes I have noticed it seems to be Yosuke/MC fest on Ff.net.

MC/Naoto OTP.

Kanji/MC/Naoto <--- Though that is interesting I would like to see that.

13. Jarsha

Jarsha Seventh Year

Fortune No Hikari With Nanako in the hospital, the pillar of strength Souji tried so hard to be for his friends begins to crumble. With only an empty house and voice-mail to greet him each day, the silence presses in on him-have his friends forgotten him? SoujixNaoto

I don't particularly like this one, the writing gets on my nerves; not to mention the author is one of the people who holds a story for ransom. Another time travel fic. 2/5

There was another one involving a OC that wasn't completely stupid if I remember correctly. Gimme a few minutes to look it up.

Edit: Found it.

A Fool Named Fortune Same old Persona 3 with a Lusnati Style-inspired twist. Find out what happens when Roy Fortune ends up with the Wild Card and fights his way through Tartarus.
    I kinda almost liked it. Don't tell anyone. 2-3/5

The author has a few decent fics up, and a reboot of the above story. Haven't tried the reboot.
    MagnusRagnar

Done looking for now, will report back if I find the threesome I mentioned in my previous post.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  14. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Fortune no Hikari has a new name. Also holding for ransom? The note at the end mentions the delay because of school and relationship issues?

Hmm I'll try out the others.

15. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Genin to Hokage has the feel of something very fun. THe potential for awesome is high. The world building and serious tone are a step away from being one of the best Naruto stories that don't have DLP affiliations.

Potential 4-5/5

Also Failure is ok. There is just something bothering me about it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  16. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Genin to Hokage is interesting. It's a more serious take on the world. That said at 7 chapters...

Its promising though.

17. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Genin to Hokage is worthy of the Library, if someone else doesn't put it up for review by the time the next chapter comes out, I will. 4.5/5, because we haven't seen the overarching plot yet and that could be a disappointment.

That said, characterization, writing style and technical writing are all superb. I enjoy the changes that have been made and it's different enough that reading about Early-Years Naruto isn't boring or frustrating.

18. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I disagree that it's library worthy. The writing is technically good and the story is interesting, but it's just told so damn boringly. It's like the author is writing a synopsis of what is happening rather than telling a story. It's written like a How To guide.

19. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, gonna second Aekiel here. Couldn't make it through the first chapter; I read to be entertained, not to feel like I'm being lectured by a condescending professor.

20. Drake

Drake Seventh Year

At the moment this is mostly true, but that also makes the canon retreads more bearable as they are swiftly covered. Hopefully in future chapters as the plot diverges from canon he will begin to elaborate more. If that occurs, then I feel like the story will get better. So for me, the story is kind of a wait and see before giving a general rating.

Not open for further replies.