1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

General Mafia Discussion

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Prophylaxis, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Delphine

Delphine First Year

2. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

...This reminds me of my game so much. Is this a spoof on internet mafia games or...?

3. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

That was wonderful.

4. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Heh, that was awesome.

5. Citrus

Citrus First Year

6. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

OMG I was that seer who got murdered....that was epic Delphine :)

7. Sloth

Actually, this is probably the best place for this discussion:

8. ika

ika Temporarily Banhammered

first off: im jsut moving this b/c the discussion about it should be here, if lexi wants to jsut shut this down completely she has the right as a mod

------------------

------------------

heres how things unfolded (if someone wants to say it differently go ahead)

i made a filler 5p game for people
    people signed up and game ran to completion
    i got more interest so i expanded to 6p and 7p respectively in same thread
    i got an idea to make a new thread that would be only for filler games
    lexi comes in and closes that thread
    we go back to the other one and lexi closes that one down
    lyrim comes and voices about another filler
    sloth comes in and asked about me doing it
    lucky comes in and makes a point
    lexi comes in and says she would like them separate for archiving purpose
    several players come in and voice opposition to it saying "theres no harm for filler games"
    we give suggestion for new subform of little italy for fillers
    this post

---------------------------------

so we are throwing around the idea of new subform for filler games
    i have proposed the idea of a single thread for filler games (the one lexi locked)

now as i said at the beginning, lexi is mod so what she says goes but instead of just shutting it all down of the idea at least hear us out on it and let people voice opinions.

So far lucky, sloth, me, lyrim has voiced this idea of a single thread or a single spot for fillers

so for those who have not said and would like to, whats your take?

---------- Post automerged at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

damn ninja sloth

9. Sloth

Oh ika, always trying to outdo me. Always too slow.
    (But seriously nice recap)

10. TerRaine

TerRaine Squib

I like the single spot idea. Saying take it to chat mafia isn't really a solution because the games go between 1-3 days not a few minutes or and hour. Honestly having to create a new thread every few days or so when the thread itself is going to be 1-3 pages long seems like spam to me.

11. Citrus

Citrus First Year

I think a single thread is a great idea as well. They're small filler games, not full out serious ones that need to be archived etc. Recognizing them as full games would be rude to the mods we skip on the queue anyways

12. ika

ika Temporarily Banhammered

I want to kinda voice this up to you lexi, you say the subform is mostly self moderated by what i would presume is us. When you closed down that threads it kinda goes against this IMO.

We were self modding our fourms/games and trying to make it one place so going in and locking it for the "archives" seems kinda against this ideal you want/have

13. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

Creating a bunch of threads for filler games just seems horribly inefficient. They don't need to be archived. Like, they're games, but they're also not serious and it's mostly one long RVS phase and us being silly and bonding. And they're better than IRC mafia because we don't all need to be online and free at the same time.

14. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

I'd rather not have the whole sub-forum cluttered with a bunch of filler games. Put them in one thread.

15. Lexicat

Lexicat Second Year

Ok, problems I have with filler games:

1) It circumvents the entire moderation list, and makes mods who wait and put effort into their games and are waiting for signups obselete. You might aswell unleash chaos on the subforum and have everyone run fillers at the same time.

2) These micro games could be played on the IRC. If you truly say you don't care about them being archived, get a chat program and play together.

3) I really don't want to have to deal with games blending into eachother and people breaking rules about personal grudges in games because they think filler games are "less strictly moderated" than other games.

4) we have an archive that VES was kind enough to put a lot of work into. I would like to continue to keep that updated eventually, when I get time. Putting things into one giant thread makes that infinitely harder.

Basically, my personal opinion is that there should be NO filler games and that if someone wants to host they should sign up on the list and follow the "one host at a time" rule. But filler games are popular and I'm not going to take them away from you because I'm a crotchity bitch. So do me a favour and at least have them in seperate threads so I can close them after they're finished for archiving purposes.

16. Sloth

Sigh, given that you don't seem to be paying attention to what we're saying, I'm just gonna nip this at the bud and ask:
    Is there any point of trying to continue this discussion? I.e. Is there a chance you'll take what we say/think into account or would continuing to try to get there be a waste of time?
    I'd rather not keep it going and let you do whatever you want if it's the second.

17. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

1) But the whole point of fillers is to pass the time between games with people we enjoy playing with, not to play them at the same time as an actual game. Obviously if a game from the mod list is about to be run, the filler game will be dropped and the thread locked.

2) IRC mafia requires everyone to be available at the exact same time, which rarely happens.

3) Why have you already decided we're going to break those rules?

4) I'm not sure why a filler game would need to be archived, but given I don't really know anything about that I won't comment on it beyond that.

There's absolutely no question that games on the mod list take priority, but. Putting filler games on that list just seems like a waste of time? By definition, they're run between games because sitting around and staring at a lifeless forum while waiting for the next game is boring.

Honestly, if making separate threads is what makes everyone happy, then yay.

18. Lyrium

With great sadness we will take our enthusiasm elsewhere.

However, to reiterate:

1) Filler games are meant to pass the time until a super awesome well planned game launches (sometimes this has taken a while)
    2) They (filler games) work for us who are mafia addicts and also find each other's crazy company fun and seek it out
    3) We are all from different time zones\lives and can't be on at the same time\IRC
    4) We found another way to do this off-site and are trying it out, if interested PM one of the people advocating for the cause in this thread
    5) Generally, activity and people wanting to be active is a good thing for a place
    6) No one that I know of would seriously carry over grudges and bad mojo stuff (they are most likely joking) and if they did then they would be publicly shamed and booed into a puddle
    7) I did try another mafia site and it didn't feel like HOME (it was a sad place)..like dlp mafia feels good and fun and its sad if we can't make it work for all the people involved

These are my thoughts recorded here for all time
    for the cause
    and for general well-being of understanding and to lament that which behooves us to think about what it is that we are doing and why and whither

---------- Post automerged at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

P.S. Batmafia only needs 18 more people to start...........

Plz join...old school DLP mafia-er or newschool DLP mafia-er or in between or outside of the lines...mafia peeps

---------- Post automerged at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Update: Feeling very upset about having to move off-site to do filler games...ugh

IDK even know why this is such a big deal, can we have a discussion on filler games or make a little corner sub-folder called filler games in little italy and they are archived or whatever there ?

? Like seriously...murder me now

19. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    I went and talked to some mods on irc, Ika's filler thread is reopen. People should go sign up for it now, kthx.

20. Lyrium

Wow, if only I didn't have a meltdown moment in thread and in QT

Anyway, Lexi I think you don't want the messines factor so I would say making a sub folder called something fun like:

Quick & Dirty
    Unvarnished Filler
    Double Stuffed
    Teeming Masses
    Etc Etc Filler

idk something like the sort

that way the main thread can be all neat and organized and punctual