1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other Fandom Almost Recommendable: Barely Readable to Almost Good [Volume Two]

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Antivash, Aug 19, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

There's no good way to do a lot of the TES stuff in a GOT format. It's like dropping Stark Wars into Firefly.

2. Dellez

Dellez Seventh Year

Prodigal Son, a How To Train Your Dragon fanfic by Commandocucumber.

"Eight years after Berk's heir vanished, the Viking town is slowly crumbling. Dragon attacks are more devastating than ever. To save her village Astrid must piece together exactly what happened before the dragons wipe them all out for good. Meanwhile, half a world away and eight years wiser, Hiccup decides it might just be time to go home."

A pretty good fic in a similar vein to 'Hitchups.' Basically, Hiccup left Berk and travelled the world. Now he's in Alexandria, and just beginning to learn about the world. In Berk, Astrid learns about Hiccup's work before he left.
    I just gave a worse version of the summary, didn't I?

Anyway, despite being 11 chapters in, Hiccup's part of the story hasn't gotten very far. He's in the same place as he started, but we do get to see the world around him. No hint has been made that he will return to Berk, other than the summary. Astrid's part, on the other hand, has been steadily unravelling the mystery around Hiccup, and it feels like real progress is made.

Problems with the story: 37k words and it doesn't feel like much of anything has happened with Hiccup. Hiccup is probably given a bit too much intelligence. He also seems less awkward than I remember. These last two can be forgiven.

The author also wrote a Fallout trilogy I've been enjoying. Modus Operandi

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Decent find, though I find myself skipping most of Hiccup's parts.

4. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    A Knight's Tale was cheesily awesome from start to finish but I think Westeros already has that story. It's the Hedge Knight, is it not? At least the part of someone pretending to be a knight.

5. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

It's not exactly like Jon couldn't have squired for someone if he had wanted to either. You'd need to have Hot Pie or someone if you're going for the whole needs to pretend to be a knight thing.

And Yeah, Don't think Dunk was ever knighted in that series.

6. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

Do you mean the Knight of the Laughing Tree?

Also, on the note of ASoIaF fics, I did quite enjoy this one: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8562512/1/Fool-s-Gold

It would be an awesome prequel to an AU story but I doubt it will ever get written.

7. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

This Naruto-Scientific railgun crossover doesn't seem terrible. It's mainly been a mix of cute girls doing cute things and canon rehahsh 3 chapters in. Be warned though, it's a 12 year old moe Naruko.

8. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

Is the To Aru anime worth watching?

9. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Don't know, not finished with them all yet. I've liked what I've watched so far.

10. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

It's worth watching, but I'd watch it chronologically rather than by air date.

11. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

Chronologically? Is there somewhere a chronological watching order list?

12. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Railgun is entertaining, and the first big arc in the second season is one of my favorites of recent years. I wouldn't recommend the Index anime to anyone unless you want to watch it for the world-building.

13. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

The entire Index franchise is about wasted potential really. A universe that was pretty interesting to start with (though I feel they unnecessarily included two different power systems - magic and esper abilities. Feel that having both diminished the world a lot. Should've just kept to esper abilities), but with powers that don't really make sense or aren't consistent, too much harem characters (pretty much the only interesting characters are the bad guys - who are all insane) and arcs that don't really connect well to each other (due to that magic/esper thing I mentioned before).

There are some enjoyable arcs here and there - the Sisters arc both in the Index S1 and Railgun S2 (same arc from different points of view. I'd agree with Banta that the Railgun version of the arc is absolutely epic), the Last Order/Accelerator arc in Index S1, level upper arc in Railgun S1, and a couple of the arcs in Index S2 - but for the rest of it you find yourself bored with dull arcs or annoyed at how much they love to wreck the universe and characters with stupid shit.

If you think you can get through a bunch of boring arcs for the good ones, might be worth it. But don't really expect consistent or high quality anime.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  14. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

15. Feoffic

The biggest problem is the main character of Index, Touma, is perfectly bland and boring and everyone loves him and wants him to succeed -- he's basically the audience insert character from a visual novel. His only real defect is his bad luck, but it's always played for cheap laughs and never really hurts Touma when it counts. The most interesting aspect of his character* rarely comes up as being important in any meaningful way, nor does he seem to bummed about it when it happens.

Touma also never does anything meaningful, all he does is enter a scene, get fawned on by everyone around him, punch the bad guy, and win. That's it. No real conflict because nothing was actually on the line. Touma just wins because he's Touma. There's no struggle, nothing to actually make me care.

Everything else around Touma is cool and interesting. The magic and the esper stuff is awesome, and watching any other character fight can get really intense. The lore of the world can get really deep in places, with enough conspiracies and layers to make Xanatos nod in approval.

There is a lot going on, and it can be fun trying to really get into the world that exists here, but you have to deal with Touma and his black hole of suck and boring to get to most of the good stuff.

*spoiler tagged for those who care.
    Touma loses his memory in the first arc of the Index anime because reasons.

16. ChaosSora

ChaosSora Second Year

I'll join in on Index chat. There are a lot of problems with the Index anime, most of them being due to J.C. Staff being pretty bad at adapting light novels. Really the only arc that's mostly intact in the Index anime is the first arc that's based on the first novel. This novel was actually given a full six episodes which means pretty much the entire novel is represented with the only thing removed being Touma's first person narration and monologue. After that arc the second novel was adapted into two episodes and from there the arcs varied between 3 and 4 episodes per novel.

It's also worth noting that Index was originally published as a stand alone novel that the author only made into a series when it sold well.

The Railgun anime has it's own share of problems, most of them due to the huge amount of filler anime original episodes. I would say of the 48 episodes that make up both Railgun seasons, half are anime original filler.

Index in comparison has no anime original content but instead chose to adapt 13 novels over 48 episodes, and they still have 11 novels left to adapt in the first Index novel series. Thats not even touching the varioius side novels and the sequel novel series that is already 11 or 12 novels in.

Any way here is a actual req for my favorite story from the Index section.
    I feel this story is probably better than the actual novels, and I find myself preferring these versions of the characters to their canon counterparts.

17. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Yeah pretty much. In both seasons, they have one arc straight from the manga (which I have read), which is presumably the same as LNs which takes 13-14 eps. Then the remaining eps are anime original fillers. No idea why they went for this route, instead of just continuing to the next arc (not like they're lacking in content).

I did read the LNs from the end of Index S2. The free for all with Academy City's Dark Side was great, but after that I feel it just went down hill with all sorts of craziness. But that could be because in general, I only seem to be interested in arcs with maximum Accelerator/ITEM and minimum Touma. =P

Again lots of little things I liked in the LNs (especially love the dynamics of groups like ITEM with Shiage in it, or Accelerator and Last Order/Misaka Worst, etc), but as a whole, just felt it didn't come together with any sort of quality plot or setting. Feels like a bad fanfic at times. You know, the ones that give everyone what they wish they could see, but just end up being a clusterfuck.

One of the biggest issues is half the arcs come down to the same plot - Touma or Misaka meet some girl (and yes, it's always a girl). They then find out that the girl is being hunted for some reason by some group. Cue cheesy speech, some fighting spirit and bullshit ability for Touma, or SuperBestFriends for Misaka and they save they day!

And yes, In Memorium is what Index could have been if it was good. There's actually not that many changes to the plot. Just tweaks to people's personalities, events and some world building and it immediately becomes epic.

Not nearly as good, but still kind of fun is this fic,

which sees Touma interact with Mugino and ITEM. Something we don't see much of in canon, and is fun to read.

Just got up to date in it and enjoying it. A bit like Hitchups. Still early days though, looks like it'll be a length fic.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  18. fire

fire Order Member

Railgun is well worth watching.

Sisters Arc is epic, of course, but in general the SOL was well-done.

Misaka, as well as Kuroko, are vastly more interesting than Touma.

19. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Any decent HunterxHunter fics or crossovers floating around?

20. Feoffic

On the subject of Raildex, Unlucky Star is a likely abandoned bro adventure of bros doing bro things. Probably my favorite Raildex fanfic bar none.

Not open for further replies.