1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Fleur Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 22, 2007.

1. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Heh. Remind me again who owns the house?

2. Stan

Stan Order Member

It was clearly shown to be the other way around.

It was Molly's house -- her house, her rules.

Also, nobody liked Celestina Warbeck? Citation needed. I don't remember this.

Fuck, all this family drama could have been avoided had the engagement taken place after Molly killed Bellatrix Lestrange. That would have made Fleur act the nice and respectful daughter-in-law -- after all, it isn't a good idea to antagonize the killer of the Dark Lord's most feared Death Eater.

EDIT :

MonkeyEpoxy : Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  3. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I don't see that as Harry joining in. In the first one, he simply makes a joke of something Ginny says. In the second, he's in front of his girlfriend (or soon to be, depending on context) and make a gaff. Hell, I actually wish that was book 5 because it shows a little more forethought into Harry/Ginny. (maybe it is? I'm thinking it's book six, however).

4. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I've always thought Fleur was acting out during those scenes, she knows she's not wanted and is taking shots where she can.

5. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

Damn... have we really reduced ourselves to discussing the soap opera that played out between two side-characters when it was only meant to be humorous.

6. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

We're just trying to peg down Fleur's character by her interaction with her in-laws. If you don't want to discuss the finer point of secondary character, maybe you shouldn't have visit a thread about Harry/Fleur relationship.

I'm pretty sure I never saw any insults by the Weasley (males) to Fleur unless under duress (Harry's situation that was mentioned before, and I'm quite sure Ron must have said something similar at some point because of Hermione). It seems to be an issue between the women more than anything and we don't know what actually happened between them to put the blame on either so yeah, everyone's free to actually see Fleur as a bitch who just came into her in-laws house and try to impose her view, or as her in-laws not actually liking her and making her feel unwelcome which leads to her conduct during HBP.

7. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

It's kind of important for a characterization standpoint, but this isn't a characterization thread...It's a community for Harry/Fleur.

So in the interest of getting back on topic, I really liked Don's idea for a story, and I'm with Newcomb on wanting to know where that was going. It was pretty interesting.

8. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

That's pretty much what I think happened as well. I thought you meant that Fleur was a bitch in general, which I disagree with.

---

EDIT: So, I just finished Newcomb's story. I find myself in need of some Harry/Fleur and am loath to trudge through what FFnet calls fanfiction these days. Anything to recommend? I think the only other thing I've read was TLIL, so feel free to throw in classics.

9. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I think I'm going to start posting my H/F story here shortly, as celebration of my 2000th post, which should be my next post.

I did look at newcombs fic recently, and realized I did actually try to read it a few months back. I remember stopping at chapter 2, and as I look at it now, I realize why. I don't like any of the characters as they are presented for some reason, and the idea of him missing memories doesn't really appeal to me, and that's about as far as I got before I lost interest.

10. crimson sun06

First off, dude calm down. I said 'we' didn't I? I was including myself too. And my point was that her interaction with the Weasleys isn't meant to be taken seriously. Its just people who don't really get along all that well trying to find a way together and acting out in the process. Just for the record I agree that its only Molly, Ginny and Hermione who have a problem with her not the men. The main reason is most probably her beauty(in both cases).

11. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Go ahead! Let us see your story :)

As for Newcomb's

I think the lost memory last for 2-3 chapters max. As soon as the first year is done, he gets them back.

12. crimson sun06

Those bits were my favourite parts. I loved the mystery even though it was resolved rather quickly(I was kinda bummed by the resolution) but then found other things to like about it.

13. Russano

Russano Disappeared

Unfortunately there's not alot of Harry/Fleur out there. Theres a reason why everyone brings up The Lie I've Lived.

So just going off of memory.

Dagger and Rose by Perspacity. Probably your best bet. Wish he'd get around to doing the sequel. (Ain't that the truth for most DLP fics.)

Deprived - Wrong BWL merc Harry who comes back to Hogwarts during GOF to protect Fleur. Haven't read it in a long time and its abandoned. Some people don't like it but I remember enjoying it quite a bit.

Secret Diary of Fleur Delacour - I think this is the one I'm remembering. Basically 1st person Fleur diary that has some good GOF mini tasks set at Beauxbatons.

His Angel - long winded fluff piece. Neither amazing or groundbreaking, but it works if you need a fix.

Multi Pairing Stories - Theres some stuff like Heart and Soul and The Price of Being Noble that feature threesome+ relationships that are fairly readable if not good. I remember really liking them back in the day but they are a complete slog to get through now. There are some others that are even worse, but I don't recommend them. Think I had The Veela Life Debts on my alert list at one point, doubt I'd still recommend it.

Letters - Decent fic, ruined by making Daphne taking a central role. Eventually everyone, including the author wanted her to be the main pairing.

Champion by Octavius Owl - I remember this being really promising about a year ago, but the author hasn't updated much recently. This is one of those Voldemort won and society is different stories IIRC.

There are also a couple other stories that are set in 4th year, usually with some play on "Champion" in their name. These I read a long time ago and while I liked them back then I probably wouldn't be able to stand them. I think there are 3 of these, one that was decent at 70kish words but was abandoned, and two others that were completed but not as good? I also believe there are a couple other stories that are just really bad with this premise, and aren't finished or are abandoned.

When a Veela Cries by E.C. Scrubb - This is one I haven't picked back up on even though I've been meaning too. Basically shit hits the fan after the 4th task, lots of people die, and Harry ends up in Durmstrang.

I think there are a couple decent one shots out there but I can't remember them offhand, I don't usually read these.

Theres also various smut pieces of varrying quality. The only ones I can remember offhand that feature Fleur at all are Cuckholding at Shell Cottage and It Could Only Happen to Harry.

Knowledge is Power - Mentioned before, abandoned but still long. There are several copies on FFN of people trying their hand at rewriting or completing this story, and like the Silver Aegis spin offs, go absolutely nowhere and fail miserably. I remember loving this fic, not sure how its aged.

There was some HP/FD/Tonks fic where they were assassins that I remember liking but I'm 99 percent sure is actually terrible.

Then we have some other crap sounding stories that I never opened. Like the WBWL one with Harry at an orphanage, some of the ones from 2006 or so at the back end of FFN list.

Then I think there are a couple epiloguey stories like the French Affair / French Connection or whatever. Don't remember much about these.

Unfortunately I think this covers almost the entire Harry/Fleur fandom.

Edit: Also Jeconais hasn't written any stories with this pairing despite it being his favorite one. No idea why it hasn't happened yet.

14. Stan

Stan Order Member

You forgot Wastelands. Also, I'm pretty sure Skitterleap was marked as H/F.

Its interesting, for all the complaints of lack of quality H/F stories, this is the ship that has received more attention from DLP than any other ship -- Wastelands/Heartlands, TLIL, The French Affair, What You Leave Behind, Dagger and Rose, Skitterleap. We all Fall and Sixth Year have hints of it too.

In comparison :

Harry/Daphne : Unatoned, Song of the Trees, Lost Time

Harry/Tonks : Renegade Cause, Breach of Contract, A few by Nonjon

Harry/Luna : Contemplating Clouds, Canloadh's song, Bungle/TML (if you consider her Luna)

Harry/Ginny : The Unforgiving Minute, Hallows and Pathos

Harry/Hermione : There was that soul bond thing I can't remember.....

So yeah, H/F wins by far. Also, both Harry/Ginny and Harry/Hermione could use some DLP-style stories, more than H/F. I don't think there are any of the latter that could be read by non-shippers.

15. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Wow, is this thread alive again? Not that I'm complaining. I just think it's hilarious that it pops up every couple months.

I just got through what there is of What You Leave Behind, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Definitely slow on the relationship building, but I'm a sucker for a good Alt!Harry story. Though the first bit, with the memory manipulation, just struck me as convoluted for the sake of convoluted. Why have a big mystery if you're going to pay it off so early in the story? But minor gripes aside, solid fic.

I've also gone back to reread TLIL. It has... not aged well. To be fair, it's still readable, which makes it way better then most fics I read five years ago.

16. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Anarchy did decide to put her Harry/Fleur story in the WbA

https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=28808

Thanks for the rec guys, I'll look them up. I tried to read Wastelands when it was first written but I never got into it. Might be because my English wasn't as good as it was and I couldn't appreciate the prose. I might give it another try.

17. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I have 115k words of sequel written (and even posted several chapters to ff.net before removing it some time ago), but there was a plot direction in I wasn't happy with, one which unfortunately tied back to the original, and reviewer comments were generally pretty negative on what I posted. Rather than grit my teeth and post something I wasn't very happy with, I opted to postpone.

I'm finishing up a Rosetta Stone language course on my daily commute. When I'm done, probably sometime in the autumn, I'll see about using the time to do a proper Dagger and Rose rewrite followed by a sequel. (I'd like to think I'm a better writer now than when pinching out my rookie novel nearly a decade ago.)

He has a couple of promising H/F starts. Changes, for instance, is one that he started but handled poorly. (He allowed another author to take it over; said author proceeded to shit the bed.) Another is Best Man, which I'm told he considered extending into a H/F piece had he not been already working up many of the ideas in Hope.

18. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Pers: The negativity of your fic is probably like 95% directed at Fleur getting raped. I know it's been talked about to death, but adding scenes like aren't really gritty or dark, and it really comes down to the fact that if someone is reading a story, chances are they don't want the main characters love interest getting forced upon by some other guy. The fact that people are reading a story solely for the pairing rather than the plot... we'll, that's a completely different subject, and then threads like this wouldn't exist at all.

19. Stan

Stan Order Member

Hmmm, I sort-of agree. Rapes that take place to a MC during the timeline of the fic are generally a turn off. Also, aren't there enough H/F fics done during the GoF timeline? I, for one, would prefer something new rather than rewrite of Dagger and Rose -- but, of course, you should write what you feel like writing and I'll read anyways.

20. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

I don't think it's really been mentioned but there is one fairly 'vanilla' Harry/Fleur romance I remember reading.

Harry Potter and the Other Champion

It's... OK. I read it all, it did the fluffy Harry/Fleur thing within canon(ish) fairly well and I came out of it not especially disappointed.

It has its faults. Like the constant use of cutesy nicknames 'Mione', 'Katie-kat' and 'Hare-bear' which had me pulling out my hair. I suppose it's a small mercy that 'Flurry-wurry' or some similar shit didn't turn up. Or the very standard 'Oh me he's immune to my allure!' driver for Fleur.

But it's Harry/Fleur and as we can see from this thread that seems to get a fic a lot of leeway.