1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(d/t) V

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Vulcan

Vulcan Groundskeeper

The story must be written, though I don't think you should discount Voldemort completely, just don't make him the main threat to the Britain the way he was in JRK's world. A terroristic organization simply can't be as dangerous as the war with another nation.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Harry sent back in time to ancient Rome, near the end of the Republic.

Harry has no wand, and can find no distinct wizarding society in Rome, with wizards much rarer than in modern times and fully integrated into the Muggle population as witch doctors, priests, etc. Harry is taken as a slave and forced to fight as a gladiator. At first he only just manages to survive thanks to poorly controlled accidental magic, but over time he becomes very successful as he gains more control over his magic (but to avoid any absurd wandless wonderboy stuff).

At this point you could a variety of stories:

Storyline inspired by Spartacus and the Third Servile War, with Harry taking the place of Spartacus.

Storyline where Harry earns his freedom and, rich from his winnings as a Gladiator, and popular from the fame he gained in the arena, becomes an influential figure. Politics focus with Harry trying to establish some kind of wizarding society.

3. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Hm. I'd prefer the second arc, if only because that increases the chance that he could find an increasing amount of the Roman wizards and witches.

4. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Scary Potter

Harry's survival of the Killing Curse is perceived by the magical population as something unnatural, an abomination of the natural order.

Rumors fly, information changes over time and soon it is believed that Harry only survived because he is some sort of inhuman creature with clearly demonic/eldritch origins.

Some people even argue that he should be hunted down, others want to simply deny him knowledge about the magical world and refuse entry into Hogwarts.

When he eventually arrives among them in 1991, he is met not with awe and gratitude for defeating Voldemort, but with fear, confusion and mistrust for defeating Death.

5. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    wasn't that the point of Backwards Compatible?

6. gundam_wizard

gundam_wizard Fourth Year

And some magical version of the "mad scientist" archetype's gonna snatch him before Voldemort can and try to figure out, how in the hell AK-immunity ticks (my theory about everyone knowing, that he did survive an AK is that everyone knows, that the noseless fucker gets off on AKs and that he survived, but not his parents).

7. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have no idea what you just said.

8. gundam_wizard

gundam_wizard Fourth Year

Yes, I do savage the English language OTL Well, I tried to convey my thought of how appealing a "weird creature Harry" must be to "mad scientist"-esque wizards.

9. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

An HP/Samurai Jack Crossover.

Well, not really a Crossover so much as an HP Fic with the basic plot of Samurai Jack: Harry trains up to become a badass, almost defeats Voldemort before the latter sends him to the distant future, and has to navigate a future where Voldemort reigns supreme and find a way to return to the past.

The more I thought about the idea, the more I realize the potential it has for a ton of creativity: new forms of magic, magical creatures, technomagic, magical aliens, and so on. In the right hands, it could be one awesome Fic.

10. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    Well Joe , what are you waiting for?

11. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Uh what? Yes they can. Especially in a world where a mediocre or incompetent wizar can blow up an entire Street. Nevermind that he has access to a new, instant teleport action technique the limits of which may not be known and the defenses against which might not be readily available.

That being said I wouldn't remove Voldemort from the story at all. Just don't present him as the immediate threat. I would start the story off with the introduction of Harry Vs Fleur as the first arc of conflict. As you build the rivalry between them (which will give you the time to play your cold war or politics angle) allow Harry to learn about some changes that are underway in France. More specifically, changes in the political atmosphere and culture of France to be more in line with the Canon pureblood ideology (which never took hold in Britain under Dumbledore) . Eventually it becomes known to the characters and the readers that Voldemort (a French name, by the way) becomes dictator (Emporer? Parallel Voldemort with Napoleon for extra juicy seasoning) of France and institutes all the pro human ideologies we see underlying the HP series. *This creates many opportunities (while the coup is occurring, especially if he does it gradually during the cold war) for the author to show off why Fleur makes a worthy rival of Harry.

Because this whole process has taken many years, the first terror attack featuring Voldemort's much vaunted apparition deals (along with many other targeted attacks) *a personal blow to Harry. With the revelation of his radical stance, Fleur (and people like her) *either defect or lead an underground revolution against Voldemort. Dealing with the interpersonal drama of Harry seeking revenge against France (with the help of his hated enemy, Fleur). Thus you set the stage for a many sided, bloody and personal war told from two different, compelling characters. And that's before you kowtow to the DLP masses and ship (hah!) *H/F. *

12. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Who's Joe, and why him?

*Five minutes later*

Oh, that Joe, the author of that great and glorious epic "Wastelands of Time". Seven Hells, he must write it. He would do wonders with such a Story.

13. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

Sleepless in Shrewsbury

A post Hogwarts story where Ginny died of [INSERT WIZARD DISEASE] and Harry's a widower with a young kid (I'm thinking Lily Luna). One lonely Christmas Lily phones up a muggle talk-show and gets Harry to talk on air about how much he misses Ginny etc etc.

Literally just Sleepless in Seattle set in Britain, with Harry, and a lot more Britishisms. Because of Britishness it wouldn't necessarily follow the plot of the movie, which is more just set-up and so I could use the title. Awkward middle-aged dating and relationships abound.

Now, I haven't quite decided whether the final love interest should be familiar or an OC. Part of me wants to say Meg Ryan's standin should be Gabrielle Delacour.

14. Andrela

I tried to think up a fairly insane scenario that technically doesn't make sense, but is also kinda interesting.

Apologies in advance.

Dark and Furious

It is the year 1932 and the location is Wool's Orphanage in London.

Tom Marvolo Riddle is a terrible child. Strange, disturbing things seem to constantly happen around him. Other children fear and avoid him.

He sometimes speaks to snakes even, whispering cruel, dangerous things.

Today is December 31st, the last day of the year and Tom's sixth birthday.

He of course receives no presents, because like the other children he is an orphan with no family. He also has no friends, because others hate and fear him too much to be friendly.

Tom sits therefore alone in his room, staring out the window at the falling snow. And he dreams.

If only he had parents, they would get him something for birthday! Perhaps he would force another child to give him something...

And as Tom gets lost in his thoughts, he is startled by a flash of light which temporarily blinds him.

After rubbing his eyes long enough, he is finally able to see and realizes that something very unusual has appeared in his room.

It was without a doubt some kind of machine. It had a screen of sorts, several big loudspeakers, various cables and buttons. It looked as if taken straight from a science fiction book.

There was also a small, white book lying on top of the machine.

Tom took it and read the title: "Instruction Manual for your very own Home Theater setup".

As he read through the manual, he quickly understood where this machine arrived from. Why, the production date itself said the year 2015!

This thing was from the future! Now, if it was even possible, it had Tom's full, undivided attention.

After reading the entire manual twice, the boy connected all the cables to the required sockets and then finally plugged the completed setup to the wall socket.

The screen lit up and Tom's heart skipped a little.

It worked! This wasn't just some strange prank, it was really real and happening.

The manual said something about blu-ray discs. Tom searched in the boxes and found seven of them.

He stopped midway while reaching for them. Seven, somehow that number seemed very important. Deciding to think on it later, he took the disc.

And as he read their titles, he couldn't wait to see these "movies" play.

It seemed they told a long, epic tale which had to be split into several chapters.

Tom put the first disc into the player and sat comfortably, waiting to see just what exactly The Fast and The Furious had to show him.

---

Wool's Orphanage, 1938.

“Magic?” he repeated in a whisper.

“That’s right,” said Dumbledore.

“It’s… it’s magic, what I can do?”

“What is it that you can do?”

"All sorts," breathed Tom. A flush of excitement was rising up his neck into his hollow cheeks; he looked fevered. "I can make things go faster than they normally would. I can shoot projectiles with absolute accuracy. I'm unusually lucky in fights."

---

Hogwarts, 1938.

The Sorting Hat was placed on his head and he immediately detected a foreign presence in his mind.

"Ah, what a brilliant young mind. Interesting, very interesting. And such great ambition."

Tom smirked. Well, of course it was great. His plans usually were.

Especially when he learned about Quidditch. He imagined himself speeding through the world, like Dom and his crew. All in good time.

---

Hogwarts, 1939.

"That was fantastic, Riddle! I've never seen anyone fly like this! There's no way you're a muggleborn. No way. Your parents must have been magical. Anyway, you're on the team."

Tom only nodded, he expected this.

"Ask any Slytherin, any real Slytherin. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning."

The captain couldn't agree more.

---

Hogwarts, 1942.

Tom sat as their leader now, there was no doubt about it.

He looked at them, counting their names and talents. Malfoy, money. Black, power. Avery, skill.

"The only thing that matters right now is people in this room," he said slowly.

When he saw acceptance among them, he continued.

"So what we're talking about is 10 million Galleons."

----

I should stop here, you get the point. I could write these for hours.

Voldemort inspired by the Fast and Furious series came out of nowhere to me today and I couldn't stop laughing.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  15. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    I was expecting that he got the HP movies or maybe LotR or SW... I like it.

That line about 10 million galleons, just made me think Dr.Evil. Time Travel is canon, Harry is english so everything is set.

16. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Classic Xandrel: insane yet brilliant idea that should be written, but probably will never be picked up by anyone. :(

17. Andrela

I'm content. :)

18. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

I should think you have a problem, but I suffer from the exact same thing, so oh well.

In any case, here's one Serious Comedy idea I have: right after he dies, Dumbledore is sent to a Dumbledore-Bashing World (with all the usual Cliches such a Fic would entail), and replaces his "counterpart".

19. Vulcan

Vulcan Groundskeeper

The attempt to maintain the Statute of Secrecy backfired when the attacks of Death Eaters are constantly blamed on IRA. Irish wizards from IRA show Voldemort and the Death Eaters that they are just a bunch of amateurs.

20. Andrela

Plot Bunny:

Alternate Universe in which Voldemort created a magical virus which affects only muggles while ignoring magical people.

This virus causes the infected person to become incapable of having children.

As soon as he confirms that it indeed works, Voldemort has the Death Eaters release the virus in several key places on Earth.

It takes a while, but it eventually spreads around the Earth.

That happens in 1975, while Lily and James are still at Hogwarts during their fifth year.

We fast forward several years and see the muggle world in chaos and confusion.

A scene showing the muggle prime minister talking with the minister for magic reveals that no muggle was born in the last five years. No muggleborn wizards were born either.

The prime minister is horrified when he learns that the cause is magical in nature.

Their conversation is interrupted by an Auror who brings the message that Lord Voldemort was just defeated by a one year old Harry Potter who is already called the Boy Who Lived.

We then see a conversation between Dumbledore and McGonagall who discuss where young Harry should be put now that his parents are dead.

Dumbledore speaks of the Dursleys but McGonagall counters this by saying that there are no more muggle children and Harry's presence in the muggle world would be seen as suspicious.

Eventually a compromise is reached: the Dursleys would be convinced to move to a secret location, away from other muggles.

That place turns out to be Ottery St. Catchpole.

While Harry is raised by the Dursleys they treat him as their son since they can't have children on their own.

Their house is hidden from the other muggles by a series of enchantments. Vernon even gets a job in a nearby muggle village, though the details are unimportant.

Eventually Harry ends up meeting the nearby Weasleys and Lovegoods.

By 1991 when he begins his Hogwarts years, there are no muggleborns his age, the only ones being 5 years older than him.

Last edited: May 31, 2015