1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(d/t) V

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Mar 1, 2015.

1. blund

blund Disappeared

Harry Potter was pretty much a magical version of the classic British school novel. Tom Brown's School Days was THE British school novel. A certain lout from that book became so much more in his own series.

Cormac McLaggen as the Harry Paget Flashman of the HP universe.

His utterly mystifying (to himself, though of course he hides it) Gryffindor sorting only enhances his reputation for bravery and heroism.

Problem is of course that it'd have to be post-Hogwarts, and unlike the Flashman series, there isn't decades of real history to crib from. I suppose it could slot in between his graduation and the end of DH though.

2. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

A young Princess Elizabeth turns out to be a muggleborn, and gets a Letter.

If anyone's not seeing the full potential, let me explain:

1. She would only be a year above Tom Riddle.

2. Her education would be during World War 2 and Grindelwald's War.

3. It makes the Statute of Secrecy very complicated, since by the time she would get her letter she would be next in line for the Throne.

4. Grindelwald may either decide to get Elizabeth's Nazi-supporting uncle Edward to be the new King to better control Britain down the line or get her on his side (since it would fit his beliefs to have a witch queen in charge of the muggles).

If done right, I think it could make for a great political story.

3. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I don't think she would matter at all to anyone in the magical world.

It wouldn't make the Statute of Secrecy complicated at all, because she could simply hide her magic from the rest of muggles, or simply not become the queen.

Grindelwald wouldn't care about her either, because despite what fanon says, I highly doubt he cared about muggle leaders, Hitler included.

4. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I think it could be problematic. Having a wizard or a witch being a leader in the muggle world is probably against the Statute of Secrecy. I believe the royal family would have been magical for generations if this was not a law ( as all it takes is a love potion on the prince/king and bam, you have power).

She would either have to wave her inheritance (and people would ask why) or somehow gain the support of the magical world AND the muggle world (would the prime minister be okay with this...?) in order to succeed.

I don't know if Grindelwald would care but she would be a nice ally to have. Anyone with power would be and she would have it in droves.

I don't know if anyone would want to read it as a story though. You could have it as part of a larger story. Perhaps Grindelwald arranged for her parents to die earlier, so she would be in power (and still quite young) and easy to be influenced. It could be a start to a Grindelwald wins fic.

5. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Professor

I've been kicking around a Harry Potter and Maze Runner mash up. I've been fleshing the idea out the last couple days reading the respective series to get my head around the characters and settings. Would anyone be interested in reading this?

6. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Maze Runner movie gave me horrible headaches for a week. An Xover with HP on the other hand would be awesome.

7. Paranoid Android

I only hope I'll be able to do the idea justice.

8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Paranoid Android, isn't Maze Runner the Hunger Games/Divergent mash-up? What's the xover here?

9. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

I actually enjoyed the concept of The Maze much more than the one of The Hunger Games. The trilogy is not the best out there but it definitely is better than Divergent. A crossover with HP would be cool making it in a pre-Thomas kind of timeline.

10. Paranoid Android

ScottPress I've never read nor seen divergent so I'm not sure how similar it is to Maze runner. However from what I remember of Hunger Games the maze is kind of similar to the arena or whatever they fight in. Though Maze runner the characters work together to try and survive. Also it's actually a giant experiment which the bad guys are using to try and save the world.
    The idea would be to take HP characters and stick them into the maze and see how that ends up. Think third task of the triwizard tournament but there's really no way out and everything in there is trying to kill them. The wider wizarding world will follow the generic post-apocalyptic guidelines of Maze Runner. Shit has hit the fan because reasons.

The major players in the Maze runner world will be swapped out for Harry and Co. though things will be playing out differently because these are different people and have different motivations, also magic.

Writing this out kinda makes this sound silly and like I'm just ripping off these two series. But it's my first story so sue me.

11. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So this is kinda a stupid idea but here it goes:

So during the first year of school Draco is more annoying then in the books, but this is important, only to Harry, him refusing to become friends with Draco was a major butthurt so Draco spends almost every waking moment trying to torment Harry. Harry unfamiliar with the wizarding world at first always falls for these tricks(ie duelling midnight) but slowly he begins to learn which frustrates Draco because Harry never escalates the conflict, he just ignores it hoping it will go away. But Draco is really persistent, so after the whole Stone fiasco where everyone is happy and celebrating, Draco does something really annoying prank that makes Harry say enough is enough. So he spends his summer crafting evil plans of revenge one after another not even noticing that he is not getting any letters. Dobby happens. Weasley happens. And while at the Burrow he is talking to Ron about nothing at all while playing chess, but then conversation turns to Hermione for some reason and Ron remarks that Hermione doesn't really have many friends aside from them.

So Harry gets his most evil idea ever. He will make Draco and Hermione friends. After all what could go wrong with that plan.

He gets to the Express because Molly and Arthur wait for everyone to get through(Like Molly did in first year).Dobby is getting frustrated.

On the Express Harry commences his PLAN. Step 1: Trick Draco into spending time with Hermione.

He seeks out Draco and after a few minutes insulting he challenges him. He challenges Draco teaching Hermione about purebloods and their history and greatness, things that aren't in any readily available book. They bet favors/money etc. Draco takes the challenge, because he sees it as an opportunity of taking away one of Harry's friends and/or getting a muggleborn "servant" with his "dashing good looks and charm".

After that Harry commences the step 2 of the PLAN: Trick Hermione spending time with Draco and neutralize Ron.

He entices Hermione with off the books knowledge about the wizarding world and offers her a tutor of sort. He hypes it up real good like a good sales merchant(thank you Uncle Vernon) until it turns out the tutor is Draco. Harry spends some time convincing Hermione that it is a great idea, and she could siphon great amount of information from Draco because Hermione is so much smarter then Draco and she could easily trick him into getting her what she wants.She agrees.

So the year goes by, stuff happens, Harry almost dies from "accidents" a few times, people get petrified. Draco doesn't call people mudblood, because after the first time it slipped out he learned that Hermione in the pursuit of knowledge is VERY scary. Hermione monopolizes Dracos free time with questions about everything magic that Draco was taught and Harry is happy.

Everything happens that happens people wake up from being stone and stuff, however on the Express going back to London, Hermione offers to teach Draco about the muggle world and invites him and his mother to her house in exchange of him teaching about the magical world. Draco after spending so much time around Hermione just agrees not even noticing what she is talking about.

Harry spends his second summer from Hogwarts at home, not hearing anything from Hermione, then Marge happens and he gets to the Leaky Cauldron. Events happen and he meets up with Hermione and Ron. Turns out he didn't hear from Hermione because she spent almost every waking time showing around Draco and his mother around London and the muggle world. And her mother and Narcissa became friends and were having tea every weekend.

So this was my idea... kinda stupid I know.

12. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

No worries, you're just living up to your username.

13. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The idea has potential but to not feel cliche it needs a bit of work. It also feels like the start of a Malfoy/Hermione fic.

14. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That was the point, to setup a redeemed Draco without buttbabies or veela bullshit.

EDIT:

Or veela buttbabies.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  15. Andrela

You know what? I like it.

I for one, like it.

If well written, it'd be a breath of fresh air. I'm in the mood for redeemed!Malfoys. So why not?

16. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

Fugitive Harry plot: At the end of Year 2, Harry's explanation of what happened in the Chamber is only believed by Dumbledore and the Weasleys. Malfoy manages to convince Fudge that Harry's guilty of the whole mess and he gets thrown into Azkaban. He ends up in a cell across from Sirius Black and the two spend the next couple of months slowly catching up, while Harry struggles to acclimate to the Dementors.

Sirius notices Pettigrew in the paper and manages to break both him and Harry out of Azkaban. This immediately sets off several factions after them.

The Ministry of Magic are after them because they're convinced that Sirius is a dangerous deranged criminal -- and by extension, that Harry is as well for going along with him. The Muggles are after them because the Ministry has managed to get their pictures into the Muggle news and talked them up as a dangerous criminal pair. Finally, Dumbledore and a barely restarted Order of the Phoenix are after them because they also believe Sirius is guilty and that Harry is being taken along by Sirius in some sort of sick game and they want to rescue Harry from Black's control.

I'm imagining the fic would focus around Sirius and Harry's attempts to evade each of the three factions, while Harry receives rudimentary magical instruction. (Particularly in becoming an Animagus, while they also try to figure out a way to get around the Trace; Harry does manage to procure a firearm in the meantime) It would also revolve around each factions interactions both within and across factions in order to capture both Sirius and Harry. It would also explore Sirius and Harry's relationship, as years in Azkaban has not left Sirius the healthiest person to be around.

Harry and Sirius get caught by the Order at the Grangers when Harry convinces Sirius about the need to contact his friends. The Order ends up casting first and not asking questions at all and an accident leaves Hermione Granger and Nymphadora Tonks badly injured but alive as the two escape.

From there, not sure where the fic goes, but I imagine that things will eventually come to a head, with at least Harry coming clean with the Order. It is unlikely that Harry will be allowed to rejoin Britain -- Muggle or Magical -- in any official capacity even then, as both the Ministry of Magic and the Muggle government are convinced that Harry -- and Sirius -- are dangerous criminals, a perception not helped by the host of crimes committed by both throughout their attempts to evade capture.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  17. Stan

Stan Order Member

Rayndeon:

Fugitives of Azkaban by BajaB: A 'Harry goes to Azkaban' story. Convicted for releasing the Basilisk from the Chamber of Secrets, Harry is put into a cell next to the most feared wizard in the world, Sirius Black. AU 3rd year, canon pairings, no Deathly Hallows.

The same premise, though it doesn't have some of the latter stuff.

18. Andrela

How would an Opposites World look in the Harry Potter setting?

The idea is that:

1. The Earth 6 months either ahead or behind in its orbital path, to make it be on the other side of the sun. That's just a cosmetic change, but it's a nice touch.

2. Canon good guys are bad here and of course canon bad guys are good. Obviously, evil Albus and good Gellert. Order of the Phoenix were the Death Eaters of this world.

3. Similar to the above, the rich are poor and the poor are rich. Weasleys would be the upper-class rich folk and the Malfoys would be struggling with money.

4. Additionally, those who were blood purists are fine with muggles/muggleborns and vice versa. Again, Weasleys and Malfoys.

5. Oppressed magical races are in good standing and those who are independent in canon are oppressed here. Perhaps free house elves and enslaved centaurs? Who knows!

What other things should be added? How would this Opposites World truly look?

19. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

It does sound intriguing... it's just how you would juggle the timeline to make it work. It's not an issue if it's a Dumbledore vs Grindelwald sort of thing, but... oh wait, no.

Riddle vs Dark Lady McGonagall? I'd read it.

20. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

I recall a story where Hermione woke up in this kind of world, and then worked to help free poor!slave!Draco, but I don't remember its name because I hate both characters and it was shit.

I'm not sure I like this premise, because it's mostly exchanging names/roles between characters. It has to be more creative, like Voldemort leading the Muggleborn rebellion or something, Harry's parents are in his service, and Malfoy is the Boy-Who-Lived.

Anyway, when you say Opposites World, my first association is Requiem, Vampire Knight, and... damn, that might actually be a pretty cool crossover.