1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Overwatch

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Nemrut, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

In the Developers Update they said that they wanted to do some lighthearted content as well.

2. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fuck you. Tracer skins are adorable AF!

3. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

I got the reaper medal pose in my free box, and since i play 90% reaper and didn't like his other victory poses, I'll call that a win.

4. Gengar

High Score:
    I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I'm being told Lucioball is basically Rocket League in Overwatch...?

Want. Naow.

5. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

It's bad Rocket League. Like, a really slow version of Rocket League.

6. Jon

Play it for the free 1500 xp if you're not bad.

7. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

It's the best skin yet for Zarya, and I'm a big fan of my new lucio skin

8. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  9. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

Man, so many of you guys are so much better than me, I'm just happy about my positive Win ratio on competetive. Started at 39, went down to 35, and now I'm 47, so I'm pleased with my performance. I just wish I hadn't gone on a tilt during my placement and the matches immediately following the placement. The people at the highest level must be unreal though. Seagull isn't top hundred and watching him play is just unbelievable.

https://watcher.gg/profile/psn/global/Spicy_McHaggis1;mode=1

10. Dark Belra

Being good in Overwatch is overrated tbh. It just ends up becoming a bunch of people talking about picking the ideal heroes for ideal set ups, about how x hero isn't the 'meta', and you need to switch to whatever is meta because the one you picked is considered trash by everyone. I don't get flamed now for picking DVa but now I can't pick DVa because everyone is picking DVa.

11. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Was at 56 before I got into Solo Player hell and had a ton of abandoned matches.

Partying with 5 guys that are all pretty solid so it's good, actually made me invest in a headset since I was the only one without and was missing the general chat.

One Guy uses Zenyatta, and other people quick stealing Lucio's giving me time to test out new characters.

Really like, Genji, Reaper and Winston.

12. Jon

You sound salty as fuck, lol.

In my experience since CP came out, no one cares in Quick Play what you choose.

If you are however playing Competitive then you should adapt to the META (Most Efficient Tactic Available) or invent a superior one and then push that.

I can't tell if you're talking about QP or CP, since in QP you can select multiple of the same hero, so... Which is it?

13. Gengar

High Score:
    To a point. If you're no good at the heroes that are considered META, you're (or your team are) probably better off playing something you're more comfortable with.

I'm talking 76 or Pharrah instead of McCree here btw, not genji into Winston.

14. Dark Belra

I'm pretty salty about competitive tbh. I can't play what I want or I get flamed to go play quick play which is a gigantic shit show whenever I play it, I also don't like the structure of QP.

Meta following is just stupid since it's assuming a bunch of shit that never happens with random teams. Chances are, if you are playing a game of competitive, the problem wasn't having a Hanzo, it was that you played awful. I just find the whole culture in competitive Overwatch stupid yet I like how the game is structured in competitive so I'm kind of stuck. I've gotten to a pretty decent rank doing stupid shit like offense Bastion, picking DVa when she was considered the worst hero in the game, never picking Lucio ever and picking Symmetra on KotH to name a few. It feels like everyone past a certain SR just don't want to have fun or improve, they just want to win and I feel like when people play to just win, games lose a lot of their appeal.

On the other hand, I really don't like how Quick Play has the whole dropping out randomly to be replaced by someone else and how it's just essentially one half of a game.

I dunno, I really don't like that there isn't some happy medium of quick play where it isn't really ranked but it does competitive structure. To get what I want, I'll probably have to get a group.

15. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

76 is one of the best characters in my opinion. He doesn't do the same damage as other Offense Heroes etc and lacks mobility aside from Sprint. But his Healing ability is so useful if your healer crashes out and his ulti can melt teams with just the right timing.

16. Jon

Oh definitely, hands down I agree with this.

However, with that said, I find that most heroes are viable depending on the team composition. The roster is fairly large and each role has multiple champions. I don't think people should be playing CP if they aren't able to adapt to the various roles or be able to slip into the role that the team may need.

I have a pet hate for people who refuse to change heroes in CP if they're getting shit on. Drives me insane.

I get pretty salty about CP as well, not so much because of what role I have to take on, but because if I do take a support role (which I'm happy to do I oft go tank (as much as Roadrog can be a tank anyway), but because of the reliance on other people to DPS who inevitably turn out to be absolute trash.

I find the easiest solution is to find a duobuddy or two. Never go 4 or above unless you're confident in your ability to work with your teammates though... shit gets real at that lvl.

Not necessarily true, or at least 60+ it's the case. 50-55 less so. At that level if you've competent aim then you can get away with a lot of shit, but most people don't have good aim.

For example, if you're an amazing Genji then a competent enemy team would swap someone to Winston and shut you down, that's the entire point of the Hero system. Unless people are obscenely stubborn then it should be a constant series of interchanges aimed at countering the enemy's composition.

What would you say the culture is?

Most people don't consider losing to be fun when there is value attached to winning. e.g getting higher ranked and getting a larger reward at the end of the season.

I think the main issue you're having is that you don't have people to play with—or at least it sounds that way. A lot of the frustration and issues you seem to be facing could easily be fixed if you had some people you played with often.

If that's the case then I'd strongly urge you to find people who you enjoy playing with in CP and friend them and try to form a pool of people you can play with.

Annndd, yep.

Getting a group would solve most of your problems. You'd already come to that conclusion. :)

17. Gengar

High Score:
    I think it's pretty easy to carry with Zenyatta (which I do) at low levels. Started at 54, dropped to like 44 in a rage inducing week and have started to climb slowly ever since. Of the last 20 or so matches, I've probably won 12 and lost 8, 4 of those losses were from DCs (Fucking unreal that shit still counts as a loss given how often it fucking happens /salt). Even it out and I'll postulate i could have been 15-5 without DCs, while carrying as Zen.

The biggest problem I find at lower ranks is people not being great at aiming, which is less of an issue when their targets are discorded (they still can't aim, but the bullets that DO hit at least do more dmg).

So yeah, if you're struggling, play Zen. He's a monster. I'm constantly getting gold elims and pumping out amazing heals too.

Oh, I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this yet, but I fucking love Ana too. I'll not try solo heal with her, but i often get gold heals when paired with Lucio.

18. haryypotterfanboy

haryypotterfanboy Squib

High Score:
    I personally think that Overwatch is a game that is nigh on impossible to solo queue. Sure, in a friendly casual match, its fine, and you can have a good time. But when you are trying to keep up a 60+ rating, and the game has one of the worst chat features (Note: I am playing on the Xbox one, and the voice chat feature works maybe once every ten games, even with people that I know are talking.) it is pretty hard to win. This changes when you have even a single other person to play with. I personally am lucky enough to have a friend group that plays often enough that we have a regular five man team, but even with one of my friends, the synergistic possibilities are endless once you have proper communications. A Zarya with my McRee is my current favorite, but, nevertheless, Overwatch in general is a game I now only boot up when I have someone online (which is thankfully, nearly always).

Sidenote: What device do you guys play Overwatch on?

19. Gengar

High Score:
    Voice chat works 100% on PC...

The people you chat with though? Well, they're excited to tell you about their boners a lot. I probably would be too, if it were my first erection...

20. haryypotterfanboy

haryypotterfanboy Squib

High Score:
    Does PC by any chance have different Competitive rules than Xbox? Because on Xbox, if someone leaves, then the entire team is penalized due to their weaker team. Because of the new update, the rejoin match feature is buggy as well, and so many people are kicked due to WiFi issues, and cant rejoin. This hurts other players, and is the reason I play competitive with a full party. Does anyone else have issues with this as well?