1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(d/t) V

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Hitwizard1993

Hitwizard1993 First Year

High Score:
    I will give it a read.

2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Just another HP/GoT crossover.

Harry is reborn/somehow finds himself in times of the Valyrian Freehold as one of the slaves. Using his magic and experience from previous life/world, he starts a revolution against the dragonlords becoming a Spartacus like figure.

It can go two ways.

The first one, changing a little details from the canon, after many battles the rebels escape and found Braavos. Harry establishes the Iron Bank, something completely new in this world or maybe manages to create the Faceless Men by finding a variation of the Polyjuice Potion.

The second, ends with the rebellion failing and vengeful Harry sacrificing himself to cause the Doom.

3. Hitwizard1993

Hitwizard1993 First Year

High Score:
    I don't know if I would ever write this, but here's the concept:

Order Members AU: Instead of becoming Death Eaters, newlyweds Rodolphus and Bellatrix Lestrange joined the Order in the First War.

And go.

4. mistermisstep

mistermisstep First Year

High Score:
    There are a stupid number of "I'll get around to it, I swear" ideas on my hard drive, but I have curated a few of the crackier ones for perusal here:

"Untitled Dark Comedy" - Snape dies and ends up back in time as an eleven-year old Harry Potter. This promises to go ... badly. Also, the real Harry might have taken over Snape's form before the Dursleys had a "tragic accident" that might have occurred at the end of his wand. On the plus side, Harry actually enjoys teaching. Snape tries to find a way to switch bodies back, all while being a complete asshole to everyone. Especially Harry. And Harry finds it all hilarious.

"Monstermaker" - Hagrid, who was never kicked out of Hogwarts, is a reclusive wizard living just outside a small wizarding hamlet in the Highlands. He ends up raising Harry after the Dursleys have a "tragic accident" involving a Hippogriff and their car. Harry learns how to create monsters out of other monsters.

"The Boy Who was a Beast" - Harry is raised by a skulk of Jarveys in the Forbidden Forest. He befriends unicorns too, sometimes riding on their backs in a storm of glitter and rocking '80s synth. Not only that, but he is the subject of more than one prophecy -- in this case, he is the prophesied "Son of Man" who shall war against his own people for the freedom of the Jarveys. Other magical creatures join in on this freedom quest. Oh, and the Dursleys died in a "tragic accident."

5. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Definitely like the sound of the first one. This the Harry that replaces Snape would be the older one from when Snape died though right? Don't see it lasting long otherwise.

The Dursleys sure do seem to suffer a lot of tragic accidents when you're at the helm don't they?

6. Hitwizard1993

Hitwizard1993 First Year

High Score:
    Prankster Daphne Greengrass.

7. mistermisstep

mistermisstep First Year

High Score:
    Yes, it's the older version of Harry. Of course, Snape doesn't realize that at first, the same as he doesn't realize that Harry has become unhinged thanks to Voldemort winning the future that was.

In my longer fics, I usually off the Dursleys or Ginny Weasley. I started doing it in a couple fics a few years ago and soon enough I was doing it in every fic. It'd be a nice joke for readers ... if I ever got around to publishing the longer stuff.

8. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Huh funny thing is Captain Marvell (Billy Batson)of Young Justice has an uncle named Dudley who is fat old guy whom knows about his nephews supernatural gifts.

Yeah it is pretty much crossover bait.

9. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Harry/Tonks is awful because of the age difference. The only time it can happen and not be shit is when Harry is an adult and age doesn't matter so much. Yet these fics don't seem to exist.

As far as changes go, having Tonks survive and Remus die is a minor one, everything else happens as per canon. Then you only need a (non bashing) reason for Harry/Ginny not to work. The rest sort of works out on its own.

Harry and Tonks are both aurors, he's the surrogate father to Teddy. It's even feasible that they'd live together, Tonks not wanting to return to where ever she and Remus lived together so she and Teddy move into 12 Grimmauld Place, or the house Harry buys after he sells Grimmauld.

Add these elements together, shake well, and fast forward 4 or 5 years for Harry to grow up and Tonks to move past her losses and it's a ripe area for stories to be told.

An action fic based around an auror case. A slice of life fic centered around Ron and Hermione's wedding. Or anything else that this pairing could supplement, but I've never seen it done.

Also allows for Tonks being weary of dating someone so much younger than her. That'd be amusing.

10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Recently I tried to pick up my abandoned horror comedy project, the first chapter of which is in WBA, but I find that I'm unable to split my attention between two writing projects at once, and I want to finish my WIP first. I may return to this, but with a sequel planned for the WIP, chances of me ever reviving it grow smaller by day.

Anyway, part of the humor aspect of that fic was twisting names in funny ways. For the longest time I couldn't figure out how to change Gilderoy Lockhart until I finally got the idea: Gold-Roy (Roy for friends) Luckhoard, an extraordinary idiot who became a successful adventurer because he had fallen into a cauldron of Felix Felicis as a toddler. The accident left him, let's say, quirky. The plot would have involved Roy becoming Harry's mentor in the matters of fame and them hunting the basilisk together, with Roy accidentally pulling off the most ridiculous shenanigans I could come up with, all while avoiding the next far-fetched plot by the AU Voldemort and trying not to get eaten alive by Hogwarts.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  11. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I humbly apologize.

We Are Number One but it's a crossover with Harry Potter.

Malfoy Manor was deathly silent. Though the dining room was full of Death Eaters, none dared to make a sound when their master was speaking with someone.

And it was a really strange guest. Tall and lanky, with a very large chin and hair greased back with a slight pompadour. He wore a two-piece suit with thick purple and maroon stripes, with thin gold stripes between those. Under the suit he had a long-sleeved blue shirt with white cuffs.

Normally, such a person would not be seen in the house of a proud pure-blood family like the Malfoys. But this was no simple muggle, that was clear after a simple demonstration.

Robert Rotten could change his appearance in an instant, a clear sign of metamorphmagic. He could also apparate at will without having a wand on him.

But his motivations were suspicious.

"I wish for the people of the world, especially children, to be lazy, useless, weak." He said.

Lord Voldemort cocked his head at that. "Interesting, Rotten. Why would you seek out such an outcome?"

Robert simply grinned and winked.

"Let's just say that I'm interested in villainy for villainy's sake." He replied, though the gathered in the room were unsure if he meant it seriously.

The Dark Lord smiled and asked "how would you be able to aid us in our cause?"

It seemed Rotten was waiting for just this question as he reached into a small pocket in his jacked and pulled out a full-sized saxophone from it.

He threw it in the air and it remained there unaided before playing on its own a cheerful tune.

"Here's a little lesson in trickery, this is going down in history. If you want to be a Dark Lord number one, you have to kill the Potter child on the run..."

*​

The man in blue was impossibly fast. A few days ago he arrived with a girl in pink at the Burrow unannounced. Initially Harry and others were surprised that someone so clearly muggle would approach the Weasley household. However, as it quickly proved the two were not simple muggles.

Right now Sportacus (as that was the man's name) was avoiding Harry and Ron's spells with ease by simply dodging and running really fast. In fact, he had managed to somehow run up and swiftly snatch Harry's wand from his hand before doing exactly the same to Ron.

"I hear you are a sportsman yourself, Harry. A good Quidditch player, quite impressive. However, to defeat Lord Voldemort you will have to put aside things like treacle tarts and instead eat sports candy like this one," said Sportacus and threw an apple to Harry who caught it and looked at it with mild disbelief. Ron just shook his head, muttering something about the man's character being too similar to Oliver Wood.

12. Vulcan

Vulcan Groundskeeper

HP/Don Quixote crossover.
    Freston is a wizard who tries to prevent the possible breach in the Statute of Secrecy by making Don Quixote look like a madman (for example, Don Quixote attacked the real Giant but Freston made its corpse look like a windmill etc).

13. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

That one. Please, do it. :awesome

14. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

I've recently become enamored of the idea of a Harry Potter/Planescape: Torment crossover, with Harry as the Nameless One, Voldemort as the Transcendent One, all that good stuff.

So, the whole thing begins with Harry coming to in the Hospital Wing, with Ron and Ginny there, but no possessions of his own other than his wand and his invisibility cloak. They tell him that they brought him there to recover after he was killed in a fight with Death Eaters - he's incredulous, so they explain that as long as they've known him, he's had this weird ability to bounce back from death, although his memories of what happened tend to get jumbled. Now they, along with Neville and Fleur, have to figure out what's happened to make Hogwarts deserted by everyone except for the dead, as well as Harry's mysterious past, which they come to suspect traces back to the Founding of the school - or even further than that.

So, part of the fun would be to connect some of the supporting characters with ones from the game, like Professor Trelawney as Ravel Puzzlewell, as well as occasionally subverting a straight one to one conversion between Harry Potter and Planescape, so some characters in the story won't have obvious parallels like that, and both Harry and Voldemort have past identities that correspond not to the games so much as to the past in the Harry Potter setting. No prizes for guessing who the two of them were originally, because I figure that part should wind up being pretty obvious, even with the twist I have in mind.

15. Vulcan

Vulcan Groundskeeper

What if Harry Potter was a popular series of video games before Rowling wrote the novels based on HP universe (like Wacraft was a game first, the books and the movie came later)?
    -) How can HP universe based on video games change the story and the characters? Especially if Harry wasn't the only playable character, and you can choose Neville, Ron or Hermione? For example, Will we see the protagonists mowing down Death Eaters with wand and sword, and nobody giving him grief about it? More of history and politics of HP-verse?

16. LavM91

LavM91 Squib

High Score:
    1. An AU quidditch themed story that isn't just a cover for massive slash romance between Harry/insert male character. Something that just tells an old fashioned sports story

2. A post-war Harry and Co on the run in a "where in the world is carmen sandiego " style chase. Tell a story about magic around the world, more "Mr.Black" like but much less humor as I have a poor ability to write humor

17. TallDarkStranger

TallDarkStranger Fourth Year

High Score:
    1.Molly Prewett in the vein of Mary Watson (amanda Abbington) from Sherlock. Her past as a dueling champion know only as the Red Death, being hired without her brothers knowing(much like Ginny learning to fly in secret). Retiring to become a mother.
    All this playing in her mind's eye moments before 'Not My Daughter You Bitch'.

2. AU where the Marauders made each other and the Map a horcrux, and are the overlords of 4 different quadrants of the world. The only opposition after the Marauders fell Dumbledore is his protege Tom Riddle, and a young Harry Potter finds himself unable to align with his blood and family and irreversibly drawn towards the ideology of the Knights of Walpurgis and Tom Riddle.

3. Hogwarts is celebrating other cultures as part of Muggle Studies. A Danza de los Muertos party turns into a horror show when someone takes it literally and brings a bunch of inferi. Bonus points if you work the Thriller dance into it somewhere.

4. The Marauders are a world famous rock band, until a rival singer named Tom Riddle poaches their drummer Peter Pettigrew and ruins them. Harry Potter grows up vowing to avenge his father who dies of a broken heart when Peter takes their promotional tunes to Voldemort.

5. A Warcraft-styled story with Harry as Arthas Menethil. Losing himself in the bid to end Voldemort, eventually going along the same road as Voldemort himself in his grief and rage after losing his mentor AD, girlfriend HG, and best friend RW. Watch Harry Potter descend into madness, and stare into the abyss. Unfortunately, Harry is the one to blink first...and there's a new Voldy in town.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  18. Gene

Gene Third Year

I'm certain there has been someone who has done something similar, but here's a story I'm dabbling in:

Guided Tracks
    It is an accepted maxim on the Discworld that the stronger a belief in a concept, the more real that concept becomes. Further, the faith of children is greater than that of adults, for the younger one is, the less one considers impossible. Roundworld does not spin on the back of a turtle, but it does possess magic. Harry Potter is not yet a wizard, but to the children of Magical Britain, he is a hero. Defeater of nundus, tamer of dragons, savior of werewolves: these are all titles attributed to the boy who was born of fantasy. When the Bursar spilled concentrated Narrativium into the experiment, the real Harry Potter quickly caught up.

I envision throwing the entire idea of belief as a magical power source on its head, among other things. Assuming I ever get around to writing this.

19. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

I had a similar idea where Voldemort is simply a poltergeist born of all the fears of British wizards.

20. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

So I was trying to come up with a plot bunny of a character from the books being the HP-verse equivalent of Donald Trump.

Said person would (of course) vow to Make Wizarding Britain Great Again, run for the position of Minister for Magic while displaying very controversial views.

I've come up with two candidates, but I encourage others to come up with theirs:

Gilderoy Lockhart - Runs for Minister in 1992 instead of applying for the Defense position. Uses his fame and legions of fans to boost his chances.

His campaign is strongly against dark creatures like vampires and werewolves and he promises to enact stricter laws regarding them, possibly even banning some from Britain outright.

Due to this, Gilderoy attracts the support of Dolores Umbridge as well as several other less-reputable wizards.

Lucius Malfoy - After learning of more and more rumors of Voldemort still being alive in Albania, Lucius decides to prepare for his master's inevitable return. He runs for the Minister for Magic in 1991 just as his son begins Hogwarts.

Lucius' campaign is heavily focused on education and the future of wizarding youth. He vows to Make Hogwarts Great Again just as it was during the time of the Founders or Merlin. He proposes banning Muggle Studies for being unnecessary, wants to expand Defense Against the Dark arts to include more advanced and dangerous magics and intends to return Alchemy to the curriculum.

And, of course, Lucius suggests that Muggleborn students should perhaps be put in separate classes from "regular magical children" so that they don't "slow them down".​