Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Support > Tech Support
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 04-30-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
Hero of Stupidity
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Natty Narwhal

Should I update to Ubuntu 11.04 or stay with 10.10? What is your opinion, is it worth it or not?

[Geth presence on Planet designate Eden Prime was eliminated by a squad of organic commandos and one lone elite commando, also organic. Addendum: Lone organic turned our hardware into amphibious organic]

[Repeat last statement]

[Repeating: Lone organic unit turned our hardware into an organic amphibious organism. Addendum: We got better.]
Hero of Stupidity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
Antivash
Until we meet again...
...Stay gold. Bang.

Send a message via AIM to Antivash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero of Stupidity View Post
Should I update to Ubuntu 11.04 or stay with 10.10? What is your opinion, is it worth it or not?

Depends. Natty isn't exactly terribly unstable, but there are reasons to not like it. Some people don't like Unity (preview video at the end), which is replacing Panels, the default Gnome setup in 10.10.

Panels is getting dropped entirely in 11.10, but 11.04 still has it installed standard, though unity is the default. I don't mind it, to be honest, but I would prefer the old menu style. :<

Gnome is going to default to Gnome-Shell (preview below also), so not upgrading to keep panels is only going to work for so long.

Unity, by the by, is a Ubuntu specific fork of Gnome-Shell, so thats why they look similar.

Unity:

Gnome-Shell:

Find out how to use a steam sig like this here!
PS: If you PM and ask how to do it, I will ban you. Srsly.
Antivash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:19 AM   #3
Hero of Stupidity
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Thanks for the tips. I already updated, and it managed to screw my computer, so I downgraded for the time being. But yeah...no panels sux.

[Geth presence on Planet designate Eden Prime was eliminated by a squad of organic commandos and one lone elite commando, also organic. Addendum: Lone organic turned our hardware into amphibious organic]

[Repeat last statement]

[Repeating: Lone organic unit turned our hardware into an organic amphibious organism. Addendum: We got better.]
Hero of Stupidity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:51 AM   #4
Militis

I think I've raged enough about this since I found out some months ago.

Fuck Ubuntu and Fuck Gnome. I'm going XFCE.

If I wanted a fucking faggoty-looking Mac, I'd have overpaid for a fucking faggoty-looking Mac.
Militis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10.10, 11.04, ubuntu