Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Other Fandoms > Naruto
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 08-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Ayreon
Minister of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Trial by Ninja by jacobk - T - Naruto

Title: Trial by Ninja
Author: jacobk
Rating: T
Genre: Adventure
Fandom: Naruto
Summary: To become great, one must overcome great opponents. A moment of inspiration during the chuunin exam puts Sakura on the path to greatness, whether she likes it or not.
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8235774/1/Trial_by_Ninja

This is a pretty interesting and intelligent point of divergence story with Sakura as the main character.

Here is more information about the setup from the author:

Quote:
No crossover, no power-ups, just trying to write an interesting story. This is actually kind of where I thought the manga was going until they decided to break the fourth wall and make Inner Sakura some kind of split personality or something.

- Divergence not covered directly in the story: Kabuto decides not to randomly out himself as a spy after the prelims.

- Otherwise, everything from before the time-skip is canon. Post time-skip stuff will be incorporated to the extent it satisfies two of: (a) making sense; (b) being cool; or (c) fitting the plot.
It starts when Sakura manages to beat Ino in the Chuunin exams and features a competent Ebisu as her trainer for the final part of the exam.
There's currently maybe a bit too much training stuff compared to the rest of the story, but seeing as some larger stories have pure training for the first 100k words, I don't mind it much.
A big plus is that there's no character bashing and maybe even the opposite of making at least some characters more competent.

It also features a further interesting divergence in the last chapter that I haven't seen before.

Rating: I'm still torn between 4/5 or 5/5 - it depends hugely on where the story will go from here on out. If the following chapters stay interesting and don't become a sort of filler-arc, I will give the max rating.

~~ Chuck Reid
Ayreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Narf
Super Moderator
The Mothaflippin' Rhymenocerus

Does Naruto remain stronger than her? Because otherwise it's bullshit. :S

I'm the mother flippin' Rhymenocerous
My beats are fly and the birds are on my back
And I'm horny
I'm horny
If you choose to proceed you will indeed concede
Cos I hit you with my flow
The Wild Rhino Stampede.
Narf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Howdy

I would like to see a well done Sakura-centric story. Seeing her perspective as the teammate to two of the strongest ninja in history would be interesting.
Howdy is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 08-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
tragicmat1
Unspeakable

I usually stay away from non-Naruto centric stories, but I am impressed with this. Definitely worth reading, and deserves a 4/5 for now. Will probably go up once the big stuff happens.
tragicmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Iztiak
God of Magic

Eh. Not my cup of tea.

I want to give it a 2/5, because I did not like it. However, the writing is decent enough for a 3/5. I find Sakura a particularly uninteresting character, personally.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
Shouldabeenadog
Order Member

I'm liking this one. 3.5, round up to 4/5. It has good character development, new situations, and with the most recent chapter, the glimmer of things to come.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #7
Garden
Unspeakable

Naruto and Sasuke are still >Sakura, so no worries.
I like this story a lot. Its a nice twist on things, and the 'jutsu retrieval team' is pretty original and interesting. I like Sakura's character too, with her genius not being out-of-character. She's showing that she is a badass, in her own way compared to naruto and Sasuke.

I love the chakra scalpels Sakura gets, but they're a tad overpowered, imo. Kabuto has them because he's a boss and is Kaubto...but Sakura is a genin and its a little unrealistic to have that kind of firepower this early. She touches you in the stomach or heart or head area and you're dead because your organs are fucked up. PRetty awesome.
Still, its still weaker than Chidori, Rasengan, type stuff.
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:37 AM   #8
Narf
Super Moderator
The Mothaflippin' Rhymenocerus

Read it, liked it. Good writing and interesting enough. I just wish the author would have Sakura snap out of her crush on Sasuke.

Spoiler (highlight to show):
I find it a bit strange that Tsunade just let Sasuke go with a slap on the wrist. A demotion at the very least, I should think, if not outright stripping of all rank and sentenced to jail time. Or you know, execution for attempted desertion.

I'm the mother flippin' Rhymenocerous
My beats are fly and the birds are on my back
And I'm horny
I'm horny
If you choose to proceed you will indeed concede
Cos I hit you with my flow
The Wild Rhino Stampede.
Narf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:34 AM   #9
knight504
God of Magic

I don't think it's strange; it probably would have happened in the manga if they'd brought him back (with Naruto trying to tell an obvious lie so that Sasuke doesn't puninshed, I'd expect). A punishment for him would have been not ever being able to have a promotion or something.

Using spoiler tags when I've not even read the story yet.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:46 AM   #10
Ayreon
Minister of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree View Post
I find it a bit strange that Tsunade just let Sasuke go with a slap on the wrist. A demotion at the very least, I should think, if not outright stripping of all rank and sentenced to jail time. Or you know, execution for attempted desertion.
I interpreted it the way that nothing much had actually happened yet. He was still in the village and had only had a small 'spat' with his teammate. So given that they know he's a bit fucked up after the massacre of his clan and had been influenced and pressured by enemy ninja who shouldn't have been able to reach him in the village, they let him go with a slap on the wrist.
It probably would have been different if they had to go after him far outside the village and gotten casualties and an actively resisting Sasuke, etc.

The way they play up the Chuunin rank, he should probably have lost it, but on the other hand it seems like most ninja have a rank according to their strength and not to their personality.

~~ Chuck Reid
Ayreon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author:jacobk, naruto, sakura