Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > FanFiction Extras > FanFic Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 03:24 AM   #781
Peace
Seventh Year

Ollivander was kidnapped before Harry's sixth year and in the seventh book we find out that Voldemort took him to find out about the Elder Wand. Now question is, does anyone know if that was pre-planning on Rowling's part or did she just luck into it?
Old 08-05-2012, 03:35 AM   #782
T3t
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Rowling probably had thought up the Hallows by book 6, at least. I mean, the Ring pretty much tipped it off after the fact.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:36 AM   #783
Constans
Fifth Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
He was possibly kidnapped because Voldemort wanted to know how to overcome Priori Incantatum. However, the Elder Wand question only came up after Malfoy's wand broke.

I'd theorize that Voldemort just kept him captive after that - strategic advantage and all.

That said, given the close timing of the last two books and how inter-connected they are it's quite possible that she planned it out.

I think of it as a mix of both. Sorry it doesn't definitively answer your question...

Edit: Taking in T3t's point and thinking more, I'll agree it was probably planned.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #784
Alive and Free
Professor

I'm going to say that it was preplanning on Rowling's part and that it's one of the examples of how a whole lot more planning went into the series than most people seem to think.

Ernest Hemingway
Old 08-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #785
Kyouzou
Squib

I'm fairly positive that Rowling had the basic plotline planned out going into it, I think there's picture on Pottermore that show a rough sketch of the outline from long before the books were published.

Also, what's the deal with the Ron bashing?

I understand how his actions at various points are asinine and yes, bash worthy. However, as a character Ron was by far one of my favorites, simply because he was the most realistic. As far as I know, none of the other teenagers, except perhaps Neville, actually acted like teenagers, Harry and Hermione least of all. I'm not saying that he didn't make mistakes, but he learned from them, and even with the gaffe in DH, I think he redeemed himself, yet one of the more common themes I see virtually everywhere is the consistent bashing and demonizing of what I consider to be a damn good character.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #786
Bill Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouzou View Post
Also, what's the deal with the Ron bashing?

I understand how his actions at various points are asinine and yes, bash worthy. However, as a character Ron was by far one of my favorites, simply because he was the most realistic. As far as I know, none of the other teenagers, except perhaps Neville, actually acted like teenagers, Harry and Hermione least of all. I'm not saying that he didn't make mistakes, but he learned from them, and even with the gaffe in DH, I think he redeemed himself, yet one of the more common themes I see virtually everywhere is the consistent bashing and demonizing of what I consider to be a damn good character.
Basically, people are idiots. They think that the characters should be perfect, and never do anything wrong. They then overlook all of that same character's good qualities, and convince themselves that the Weasleys are more evil than Voldemort.

I agree completely with your position on this, and I may have made a rant or two on the subject in the past.

I'm a leaf on the wind,

Watch how I soar.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #787
Amoral Philosopher
Fifth Year

I personally think any explicit bashing in a story is annoying, no matter who the character or what the fandom is. And by "bashing", I am referring to when an author goes out of their way just to make a character look bad by exaggerating the negative aspects of a character's personality to ridiculous levels compared to how they were in cannon. They completely dismiss any positive traits they have, essentially making them one-dimensional, boring, and internally out-of-character.

It is perfectly fine for someone to dislike a character from cannon and want to express their dislike in a story, but I would just appreciate it if authors were a little more subtle in how they went about it. They should also make sure that their entire story doesn't completely revolve around the bashing of single character or group. I can't count how many stories there are out there where pretty much the entire story revolves around how awful Ron, the entire Weasley family, or Dumbledore is and how Harry is essentially telling them to fuck off.

Pretty much anytime you have to blatantly call what you are doing in your story as "bashing", then you fail. Anytime I see mention of any kind of bashing in a story's summary, I pass it right on by.

Last edited by Amoral Philosopher; 08-06-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #788
Taure
God of Magic
~Soap Box~

DLP Supporter Donor Star
On the topic of Rowling's planning, she knew how DH would end at least as early as when she was writing GoF, when the groundwork was laid for Harry's death and resurrection: the gleam of triumph in Dumbledore's eyes, when he learnt that Voldemort had taken Harry's blood into himself.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 08-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #789
Constans
Fifth Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Adding to Taure's post: She also definitely had a strong idea about where Snape's storyline was going as she told Rickman about it partially before he agreed to take on the role.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #790
Jormungandr
God of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taure View Post
On the topic of Rowling's planning, she knew how DH would end at least as early as when she was writing GoF, when the groundwork was laid for Harry's death and resurrection: the gleam of triumph in Dumbledore's eyes, when he learnt that Voldemort had taken Harry's blood into himself.

And yet the manipulative!Dumbledore (fanon cliche) keeps'a'rollin'.

"POTTA MONEYZ!"
“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
Old 08-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #791
The Black
Squib

May I inquire about grammar?

If so, I always read "My being here" or "Me being here" - or similar phrases - in various fanfics. The question is, what's right? What's the right use of My/Me in situations like that? Or it's all wrong, and a shit load of fanfics have it wrong?

For all I know, life is the game, we are actors pretending to be people and for better or worse, our lives are interesting.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #792
Bill Door

Don't quote me on this but I'm fairly sure they're both acceptable and that my/me is interchangeable.

I'm a leaf on the wind,

Watch how I soar.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #793
E. C. Scrubb

As I read it, "my" is possessive (Genitive case). So normally, it would have to have a second noun following it (my hand, my body, my car). So on first blush, "my being here" is wrong.

The problem, is that "me" is an accusative, which means it can't be the subject of the sentence. "Me being here is a good idea" violates that rule.

So, I'd say that if it's used at the beginning of a sentence, both phrases are wrong. If it's used at the end of a sentence, it probably would technically be, "me being here."

The other issue however, is what is technically acceptable, verses modern convention. Since grammar rules are always changing, Bill Door could very well be right going forward.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #794
Sesc
Slytherin at Heart

I think you can construct a functional sentence that includes "my being here" (being is a noun too). So it depends entirely on what you want to say.

And regarding Ollivander, it never occurred to me that his disappearance could be anything else than a setup for book 7. The issue of the two wands was too important for it to be just coincidental. But the point is, writing doesn't work like that. You never "luck out", your ideas and plots evolve based on ideas and plots you already have. It's really surprising, sometimes -- you have a whole lot of stuff, and suddenly you get another idea that fits perfectly, even though you never thought of it until just now. But that's not luck, you always have those moments, and if it's not this one thing, it's a different one.

So what I'm trying to say; it's possible (though not likely, considering she had to know the Snape-Dumbledore plot) that when writing HBP, she didn't know about the Elder Wand or the Hallows. But if she didn't, she would never have thought of it for DH if she hadn't written the prior books the way she did, including Ollivander's disappearance.

And the idea that you can write a seven book story that isn't incoherent ramblings without any sort of planning is just nonsense in general.

Secrets of the war, a murder and a fatal attraction. And he has to struggle as hard as he ever did, lest that all might prove to be his undoing.

Unatoned, a Harry Potter Noir Story

I heard that you like the bad girls, honey,
Is that true?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #795
Alive and Free
Professor

@Responders: That's about what I figured. It's nice to know that others agree with me though.

Ernest Hemingway
Old 08-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #796
AntHil
Squib

Fudge was no longer the Minister for Magic in HBP. Was that because of an election or because he was kicked out? For that matter, can anyone point me in the direction of a good explanation for how the Minister for Magic is chosen?
Old 08-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #797
Bill Door

In his own words:

"My dear Prime Minister, you can't honestly think I'm still Minister for Magic after all this? I was sacked three days ago! the whole wizarding community has been screaming for my resignation for a fortnight. I've never known them so united in my whole term of office!"

So public opinion led to him being sacked.

I'm a leaf on the wind,

Watch how I soar.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:52 AM   #798
Peace
Seventh Year

This is probably a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Is there any rule of thumb for how many words you should have down before you post something in the WbA thread?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:12 AM   #799
Aekiel
Master of Merrill
People Die when they are Killed

DLP Supporter Donor Star
It varies from person to person, really, but I go by the rule of three chapters plus more on the way so that you don't just post one chapter and then abandon it. This may or may not have something to do with how I don't have anything posted in WbA at the moment.

EDIT: Chapters being in the 8000+ words range for me.

Which pretty much tells you everything you need to know about Mother Winter, right there.
Because you can't, you won't and you don't stop ~ The Beastie Muppets
Old 08-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #800
Bill Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
This is probably a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Is there any rule of thumb for how many words you should have down before you post something in the WbA thread?
There isn't any sort of set rule. Some people will never post anything shorter than 10k words at once, while some others only post in snippets of a few hundred words at a time. I'd suggest posting whenever you feel you have enough to get proper feedback on, so at least the first chapter.

I'm a leaf on the wind,

Watch how I soar.

Closed Thread