Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > The Alternates
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #821
Jarik
Headmaster

Send a message via MSN to Jarik
So far, this fic has been great. The first section had Harry just trolling everyone, which was amusing and lighthearted. Then it was about his interaction with people and the revelations of his powers - Stark, SHIELD, Bruce, etc - which has also been good.

Going forth however, I'm assuming the focus is going to move towards a more action orientated plot with AIM. But with Harry's powers on a whole different level to everyone else's, I'm wondering if he's ever going to really have any sort of challenge.

Still, hope Roarian will pull it off somehow.
Jarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 08-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #822
Roarian
Professor

Send a message via Skype™ to Roarian
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfSilence View Post
The resurrection stone is gamebreaking, in a huge way. Tony would have no problem finding out what his dad meant in the video, since he can just ask him. The Super Soldier serum was lost because the one doctor was killed, they can just bring back all the people who worked on it and work on it from there. Bruce's inner conflict solved by talking to his father. It solves so many problems and provides so much closure that it has the ability to remove a massive amount of (mostly internal) conflict. Unless you have some specific plans regarding it, SHIELD and co. should never learn about it. I'd even be wary about Tony learning about it.

Aside from that, I squee'd, <3 chu, love all stories long time, write moar, etc. etc. 5/5 author of the year all years, you get the picture.
I think it's pretty clear that Harry isn't too keen on getting into that whole deal. That said, I'm not letting Harry use a gamebreaking thing like that without some nasty drawbacks, and there's some obvious ones in this marvel 'verse. Might not be so easy next time.

---------- Post automerged at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was at 17:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarik View Post
So far, this fic has been great. The first section had Harry just trolling everyone, which was amusing and lighthearted. Then it was about his interaction with people and the revelations of his powers - Stark, SHIELD, Bruce, etc - which has also been good.

Going forth however, I'm assuming the focus is going to move towards a more action orientated plot with AIM. But with Harry's powers on a whole different level to everyone else's, I'm wondering if he's ever going to really have any sort of challenge.

Still, hope Roarian will pull it off somehow.
I'm not intentionally overpowering him, but I can't get away with handing him the Idiot Ball all the time. A half-decent wizard in the HP-verse has some ludicrously OP abilities at his disposal, especially without too many others to counter him.

Yes, the AIM stuff is more action-oriented, that's not a big surprise. Hopefully it'll be enjoyable for you all.

DLP Wand and Shield (HP/Avengers) : Read Here
DLP The Leaf's Naruto(Naruto) : Read Here
DLP The Wizard from Earth (HP/Man from Earth) : Read Here
DLP Doomsman's Herald (HP/Tolkien) : Read Here
Roarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #823
justbrowsing
Seventh Year

Is Death likely to be in the Avengers 2 movie?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #824
Amoral Philosopher
Fifth Year

It would be interesting if Death paid Harry a visit after the first time he uses the stone and lets him know that there will be a toll for messing around with her domain in the future. It would also serve as a good way of setting the stage for Harry having to deal with Thanos eventually.

Last edited by Amoral Philosopher; 08-17-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Amoral Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #825
Roarian
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbrowsing View Post
Is Death likely to be in the Avengers 2 movie?
If Thanos is there, I'd bet on it. I can't imagine that they'd introduce someone like him and not the lynchpin of his character, the fact that he more or less literally courts death.

Having an anthropomorphic death is barely excusable in HP canon - you'd have to take the tale of the three brothers very literally - but in Marvel it's hardly strange. The Death of this 'verse would have no connection to the Hallows, but where their capabilities intrude into her home turf she'd definitely notice.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #826
Red Aviary
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I'd bet Death will be in the next Avengers movie, going by the whole "courting death" line at the end of the first one. They might adapt things in a different way though.

There's also the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy movie, which will probably feature Thanos in some way unless they're planning on it being completely unrelated to the other movies for some reason.
We can tell other people about... having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future.
Red Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #827
JTibbs
Squib

Is anyone else having issues accessing the Ch. 20 google docs? It gave me some error message and its just blank...

Last edited by JTibbs; 08-17-2012 at 09:17 PM.
JTibbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #828
The Iron Rose
Fifth Year

Even if Death isn't in the new movie, I'm still rooting for an AvengersxHPxEndless crossover for this fic.

Because that is what we call totally fucking awesome.
The Iron Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:31 AM   #829
Roarian
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron Rose View Post
Even if Death isn't in the new movie, I'm still rooting for an AvengersxHPxEndless crossover for this fic.

Because that is what we call totally fucking awesome.
Despair's interested in Bruce while Delirium is awaiting Tony going off the deep end. Harry has to deal with a goth girl who keeps showing up at the most inopportune of moments.

... the Endless are kind of awesome, but I don't think tossing DC into the mix here is terribly reasonable. :P

Old 08-18-2012, 02:47 AM   #830
The Iron Rose
Fifth Year

*sighs*

Fine. Be reasonable why don't you.
The Iron Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:48 AM   #831
Shadowfox
Muggle

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTibbs View Post
Is anyone else having issues accessing the Ch. 20 google docs? It gave me some error message and its just blank...
I just opened up the doc in another browser (Opera) and the link worked fine.

On-topic: You keep teasing us with mentions of the elder wand and dark magic. I want to see how powerful Harry truly is with the wand of destiny. As of right now Harry hasn't produced any real awe-inspiring magic. I hope that changes sometime soon
Shadowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #832
Roarian
Professor

The new chapter takes up a few plot threads that'd been left hanging for a while, like Harry's use of the Deathly Hallows in particular. The Marvelverse, even the movie one, has certain beings that would take notice. If the Guardians of the Galaxy exist and get their own movie, then I think I can safely confirm that the character from this chapter also exists in some form. This particular thread, a little more esoterical and supernatural than much of the rest, has more to do with Harry than with the others, though the Asgardians obviously have a part, too. Inevitably they'll all get involved, since he is still waiting in the wings.

The next two or three chapters will cover the events in Chile. Quite a bit of action, though expect to meet some familiar faces that haven't been too visible so far.

Cheers.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #833
The Black
Squib

Quote:
Though he looked perfectly calm on the inside, he could barely keep himself from snapping off an insult.
Quote:
Though he looked perfectly calm, on the inside he could barely keep himself from snapping off an insult.(?)
I think the comma is in the wrong place, isn't it?

For all I know, life is the game, we are actors pretending to be people and for better or worse, our lives are interesting.
The Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 08-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #834
Ph34r_n0_3V1L
Squib

Was the man who Hel claimed Ben Parker? Thereby creating Spiderman to save over a thousand lives by claiming one life? You mentioned somewhere before that Spiderman was going to make an appearance.

See no evil, Hear no evil, Do no evil...
Ph34r_n0_3V1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 08-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #835
Roarian
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph34r_n0_3V1L View Post
Was the man who Hel claimed Ben Parker? Thereby creating Spiderman to save over a thousand lives by claiming one life? You mentioned somewhere before that Spiderman was going to make an appearance.
I think a silence here would be as much an answer as anything else. -_-

Anyway, Hel is not a person, it's a place. You're probably thinking of Hela, the Asgardian who governs stuff there in the comics. Hel is basically the Norse realm of the dead, and one of several places that Death has canonically used to meet with people. Hell as Harry figures, of course, is the more traditional variant he'd be familiar with, the more christian conception of the modern day. Sif would know the difference, of course...

Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 08-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #836
Heather_Sinclair
Headmaster

Send a message via MSN to Heather_Sinclair
Pepper-up Potion =/= Magical version of Red Bull (That's fanon crap)

Pepper-up Potion = Magical cure for common cold or perhaps allergies/Flu/etc.

I liked Tony's characterization in this chapter. He wasn't over the top sacastic... just enough.

Sif seems like she's massively underused and somewhat of a potted plant sitting around only for filler or the occasional odd joke for the last two chapters.

~Warlocke

Heather_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 08-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #837
Roarian
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather_Sinclair View Post
Pepper-up Potion =/= Magical version of Red Bull (That's fanon crap)

Pepper-up Potion = Magical cure for common cold or perhaps allergies/Flu/etc.

I liked Tony's characterization in this chapter. He wasn't over the top sacastic... just enough.

Sif seems like she's massively underused and somewhat of a potted plant sitting around only for filler or the occasional odd joke for the last two chapters.
Knew I'd run into fanon again eventually. >_>

Sif's getting back in the action the next chapter, but being mostly an outsider, I didn't have too much dialogue for her that would actually fit. Expect her to do so next chapter and so forth though, particularly in relation to the whole Hel thing.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #838
Xandrel
Plot Bunny

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I wonder how will the relationship between Harry and Thor (should they meet) look.

Will Thor think of Harry as just a simple, weak Midgardian? (unlikely, but possible)
Or maybe he will respect him more from the start, especially considering Sif's high opinion of Potter?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #839
Blorcyn
Fourth Year

Good, chapter. I think better than the one before. I'm looking forward to getting back into the action next chapter, but I'm really interested to see where you'll take your master of death idea.

I'm glad it didn't result in Harry being the actual master of the incarnation of death, or at least not overtly.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #840
Mock Moniker
Order Member

Hey, out of curiosity can you see who specifically made each comment? When I look at other people's comments it says "anonymous" but when I look at mine it shows the first and last name I used in my gmail account.

I left a comment about the gamma radiation and fallout.
Mock Moniker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate universe, author: morta's priest, author: roarian, avengers, crossover, harry potter, hp/avengers xover, post hogwarts