Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Humor
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 08-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
Fiddlesoup
First Year

Anatomy of a Leader by Cyblock - PG

Title: Anatomy of a Leader
Author: Cy Block
Rating: PG
Genre: Humor/Parody/Alternate
DLP Category: Humor/Parody
Chapters: 7
Words: 9,845
Published: July 30, 2008
Updated: August 06, 2008

Summary: The election is around the corner, so it is only a matter of time until Harry Potter will ascend to the magical premiership. The youngest minister ever, the shining light of our people, but in so many ways a complete enigma. Where does he come from, what makes him tick and what really happened during the tri-wizard-tournament? Join Rita Skeeter, in her series “Anatomy of a Leader”, one writer’s attempt to retrace the trail Harry Potter blazed through the world ever since that fateful night.
Link:
Work by Authors thread: http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=10266 Complete
Patronus Charm: http://patronuscharm.net/u/1130/ Edit in the works.

I liked it overall I'll give it a 4/5. The chapters are short, but it is a worthwhile read.

Checked by Minion, February 6, 2013

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

I need a real keyboard, click one's suck.

Last edited by Dark Minion; 02-06-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Fiddlesoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:05 AM   #2
Richard
Supreme Mugwump

Wasn't that great of a story. Left a review on PC. It's just your average story following Canon with his own tiny little twists thrown in. 3/5 from me.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:23 AM   #3
Goddessa39
DA Member

I couldn't even read through the whole thing. It was okay at the first few lines I guess, but the whole 'I AM HARRY POTTER' thing got annoying before the second time. Petunia was the whole motherly mode in front of the Skeeter bug but the clues underneath were pretty obvious.

FAIL. Spectacular FAIL. However, I will give it a 1/5 for the attempt at a new (well, not 'new' but more Original) idea put on the net.

Wars teach us not to love our enemies, but to hate our allies.
-W.L. George

"In truth, there was only one Christian. And he died on the cross."
"At times, one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid."
"Poets are shameless with their experiences; they exploit them."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Goddessa39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:34 AM   #4
fash
Seventh Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I couldn't get into this story at all, The "I am Harry Potter'" thing annoyed the hell out of me also. I just don't like the hole retard!Harry thing.

2/5

Last edited by fash; 08-02-2008 at 04:38 AM.
fash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:06 AM   #5
Illution
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddessa39 View Post
I couldn't even read through the whole thing. It was okay at the first few lines I guess, but the whole 'I AM HARRY POTTER' thing got annoying before the second time. Petunia was the whole motherly mode in front of the Skeeter bug but the clues underneath were pretty obvious.

FAIL. Spectacular FAIL. However, I will give it a 1/5 for the attempt at a new (well, not 'new' but more Original) idea put on the net.
Why do you rate a story that you didn't read?
For people who don't pay attention. This is a Retarded!Harry fic. He is mentally dysfunctional with the huge forehead and the whole deal.

And the aunt wasn't being motherly at all. You could look in a primary school English textbook to know what these [brackets] mean in quotes. Petunia was calling Harry a freak and retard through out the interview written by the skeeter.

For review. 4.5/5 for extremely funny presentation ways to portray how Harry got through the years as a Retard. The writer of the prophet articles are extremely believable in character as well, doing things like misspelling names and balantly editing quotes.

Last edited by Illution; 08-02-2008 at 03:13 AM.
Illution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:55 AM   #6
The Deadman
Slug Club Member

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I read this in WbA, then at Patronus Charm, and I liked it. This is the first time I read a retarded!Harry, so it is original (I believe). My favorite is when on the second day of class in First Year, he started going around, giving people great big hugs.

4/5.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:57 AM   #7
Dark Belra
Minister for Magic

I liked it.

Retarded Harry was funny. 4/5 because nothing is perfect.

Peace and Prosperity be damned.
Dark Belra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #8
scaryisntit
Death Eater

I left my thoughts in the WbA section, so I'll leave it at that.

4/5 for originality, amusement, and for acheiving the original aim. Let's not even mention the fact it is actually finished.
scaryisntit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #9
vlad
Seventh Year

High Score: 2000
5/5. It is very rare that a parody makes me laugh - far too often the genre is an excuse for poor grammar and lame jokes, and an excuse for obsessive OOCness. Here that didn't happen - Petunia's thinly veiled abuse and the prophet's attempt to change it was hilarious, and certain lines from interviews were top notch - in particular Cedric's and Ron's - funny because they were Cedric and Ron, and not OC's that just shared names with them. It was very easy to transpose this onto the canon story, and that's what makes satire worth reading.

vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #10
Lincos
Professor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I've never laughed at a parody, this was no different. Retarded!Harry is, in no way shape or form, amusing. 1/5

Lincos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:07 AM   #11
Rin
Minister for Magic
Oberstgruppenführer

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I laughed. I shouldn't, seeing as I'm a teacher. But I laughed.

5/5
Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:36 AM   #12
Cjonbloodletter
Seventh Year

Location: In the stomach of a whale, saving the fishpeople princess
I was amused, I loved how you could tell that Rita was forced to edit the interview with the Durslys. Reading between the lines of what was and wasn't being said made this an entertaining read. 4 out of 5.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #13
Korisovra
Headmaster

Send a message via AIM to Korisovra Send a message via MSN to Korisovra Send a message via Yahoo to Korisovra
It was...decent enough I suppose. Pretty much in the middle of my scale between a great work and absolute donkey balls. So, a 3/5 from me.

"I don't like poodles," muttered Batman, looking rather like a child being scolded.

Korisovra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:03 PM   #14
Cy Block
Second Year

Final chapter is up over at PC. Shit is done. It’s different than the WBA version, maybe worse, maybe better, but it’s done.

A fat thank you to all the reviewers. I do like those of you better that gave me a good review, but I love those of you that elaborated. My one true hero, however, is the brave soul who rated this thread “terrible” without commenting. That takes balls, massive balls. Kudos, I want to touch you.
Cy Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:19 AM   #15
Goddessa39
DA Member

I can't read it as I said but I can understand the idea. Petunia was never motherly towards Harry but tried to act like she 'had loved him' as many might have.

Retard!Harry is, well, retarded for a true plot but this little bunny worked for some I see.

And I didn't give it any points for reading. The single point I offered was for originality.

Wars teach us not to love our enemies, but to hate our allies.
-W.L. George

"In truth, there was only one Christian. And he died on the cross."
"At times, one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid."
"Poets are shameless with their experiences; they exploit them."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Goddessa39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:35 AM   #16
White Rabbit
Hippity Hoppity

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddessa39 View Post
Petunia was never motherly towards Harry but tried to act like she 'had loved him' as many might have.
You still aren't getting that Skeeter fixed Petunias wording. She took a few liberties with the conversation. What I'm trying to say is she put words in Peunia Dursley's mouth.

Not that hard of a concept to understand. Most reporters only do brackets to clarify what their interviewee said. Rita isn't like most and changed up a few things to make Harry appear normal.

Cy - It wasn't what I had in my mind's eye when I thought up Retard!Harry, but you took it and made it your own thing. Somethings I didn't like, but I laughed and enjoyed it for the most part. Good job on the first fic.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:43 AM   #17
Iztiak
Heir

For the socially retarded, or perhaps victims of the same birth defect that this Harry has, here is a clarification to prevent future confusion.

Quote:
“What would a [wizard] learn in a school for [non wizards]? He was better served with the other [special children]..”
See the brackets? It means that Rita changed it. Knowing Petunia, it was probably something like this.

Quote:
What would a freak learn in a school for normal people? He was better served with the other freaks..”
See?
Old 08-09-2008, 04:13 AM   #18
White Rabbit
Hippity Hoppity

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Lol. I inserted the word retard for most of those. Freak works too.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:20 AM   #19
Iztiak
Heir

Eh, just using it as an example. You're right though, retard works better. In my defense, I skimmed over a good bit of the story.

I did like it though.

Tags
author:cy block, complete