Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  

Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Almost Recommended
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donor Bar
PatronusCharm Banner

Old 10-22-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
Sesc
Slytherin at Heart

Convince Me by coffee_n_cocoa - NC-17 [Oneshot]

Title: Convince Me
Author: coffee_n_cocoa
Rating: NC-17
Genre: Anti-Romance
DLP Category: Restricted Section
Pairing: Harry/Susan
Word Count: 2980

Summary:
Harry and Susan's differences of opinion come to a head following a rough day in Auror training.

"The truth, Potter, is that you’ve had luck and friends to bail you out of more than a few sticky spots over the years, and now that you have to go it alone you can’t handle it." --

Stumbled over this little gem. Susan is made out of awesome and the story full of win, with a big fuck-you to Canon!DH!Harry and an epic ending. The first post-DH work that I enjoyed.

4.5/5 ... wish it was a full-sized story.
She shuddered, even as we were descending, but when we dismounted, there was no sadness, no grief. Her ice blue eyes burned in boundless fury, a look so piercing it went clean through me. It was simultaneously the most beautiful and most terrifying thing I had ever seen on her face.

“Someone is going to pay.”

Kairos

I heard that you like the bad girls, honey,
Is that true?
Sesc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:55 PM   #2
Scott
Groundskeeper

DLP Supporter Donor Star
It was awesome 4/5 would of been better if it was a full sized story.

Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:03 AM   #3
ParseltonguePhoenix
Unspeakable

This was pretty fun. I didn't really expect that attitude from Susan, but the smut factor was done realistically enough. A full story around this idea could be fun, but it also works well as a stand-alone piece. 4/5 from me.

If one person sees you doing something kinda weird, it’s really embarrassing. But getting thrown in jail because you wore a cloak and then quoted Gandalf? That’s awesome. That’s a story I’d tell for the rest of my life. --Patrick Rothfuss
ParseltonguePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:27 AM   #4
Cathal
Professor
Sir Nils' Right Hand

Now this was delicious.

Susan was infuriatingly hot. I have this sudden need to dig some Harry/Susan fics. Were there any good ones out there?

Solid 5/5 too.

"It's such a quiet thing... to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it."

Rightful owner of:
  • Jenkins' soul.
  • 1/7 of Mindless' soul.
Cathal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:15 AM   #5
Havoc
Seventh Year

Loved how Harry was knocked down a few pegs by Susan.

At first, I started to sympathized with Harry, then realized that this isn't fanon!Harry. He was the kid who got lucky. Just had to read it again to start really understanding from Susan's point of view.

The story left me wanting. 4/5 for me.

STEAM
Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:09 AM   #6
Averis
Fourth Year
Don of Delivery

I'm can see a rise in the output of Harry/Susan fics is in DLP's future. This really would be a great novel length fic.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:16 AM   #7
Innomine
Auror

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via AIM to Innomine Send a message via MSN to Innomine
Now, if this turned into a novel, I could enjoy it.

As it is, in the one shot... didn't like it so much, since it basically went nowhere.

3/5 for me.
Innomine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:54 AM   #8
Warlocke
Prisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellisande View Post
Meh. I had my fill of LuckyIneptTwat!Harry when JKR wrote it.

"Let me tell you a little something about love, Dennis. It has a voracious appetite. It eats everything- Friendship. Family. It kills me how much it eats. But I'll tell you something else. You feed it right, and it can be a beautiful thing, and that's what we have." - Arnie Cunningham, Christine

STEAM
Warlocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:43 AM   #9
Innomine
Auror

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via AIM to Innomine Send a message via MSN to Innomine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlocke View Post
I was more thinking along the ideas of Harry learning to fight properly, with some sort of fluffy fun interaction and excellent characterization between Harry and Susan.
Innomine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:11 AM   #10
The Fine Balance
Headmaster

Send a message via MSN to The Fine Balance Send a message via Yahoo to The Fine Balance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlocke View Post
True. But it was still enjoyable.

"Like that it shouldn't be for emergencies?" Willow said wryly.

"Like that they would have any interest in me instead of each other," he said with a wink. He started making coffee. "Ah, youth."
The Fine Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:06 AM   #11
Peacemaker
Second Year

Quote:

As it is, in the one shot... didn't like it so much, since it basically went nowhere.

3/5 for me.
I have to agree. The writing is very good, the idea awesome and the characterization well done. Still, the whole thing appears to have no point at all. 3/5
Old 10-23-2008, 11:39 AM   #12
Taure
Death Eater
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
This.

If I wanted to read a rant about how much Harry sucked, I'd read a rant, not a fic. Moreover, Harry isn't that inept. He's average at most magic, but the one thing he is good at is duelling, more so than many adult wizards. At the end of HBP he could beat most Death Eaters, Death Easters who gave the Ministry trouble. It's also true that he taught the DA well, including Susan. The inclusion of Seamus, who is even more average than Harry is, just makes it seem even worse.

So the whole set-up is troublesome, but even ignoring that the sex just comes out of nowhere. Stuff like that only happens in the dreams of horny young men. So this, in the end, is a PWP fic with a bit of window dressing that looks okay at first, but when you think about it collapses.

And as PWP it isn't very good either. I didn't find it hot in any shape or form. I was just bored.

Its sole redeeming feature is the quality of the writing.

2/5.

HPATTGH: 1/35 Complete
Taure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #13
Memory King
Order Member

DLP Supporter Donor Star
This is the Harry who spent his evenings in a tent, pining for Ginny Weasley, while Susan and the others needed to prosper in a hostile environment.

Still, Harry has always been good at practical work, and out-of-the-box thinking. The arrogance he displayed here was far from endearing, and not canon compliant at all.

I agree with Taure on the sex front, the story stands on its own without it.

All that being said, the writing style was excellent and I enjoyed the characterisation, aside from Harry's. It kept me entertained enough, but I don't think it deserves a place in the DLP Library.

3/5

("Solstice, Potter, it's the winter solstice we're celebrating, did you think we cared for Santa Bloody Claus? You're such a Mudblood sometimes…")"

On the Way to Greatness

Last edited by Memory King; 10-23-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Memory King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:04 PM   #14
Sesc
Slytherin at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taure View Post
If I wanted to read a rant about how much Harry sucked, I'd read a rant, not a fic.
Interesting. It's just the other way round with me. Obviously, reading it for chapters on end gets boring, but the way it's here, with some 1k words, it's great. It beats a random rant hands-down, because it's not you telling others, but someone telling Harry.

Like heavenshavoc, I'm not reading it from Harry's POV, I was firmly rooting for Susan there. And not to derail the thread (well, too much), but when did we ever see Harry duelling in HBP and/or being good at it (I think my memory must be fading)?

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengashii View Post
Untrue. JKR just gave him a +10000000 Luck bonus to him.
Yeah, that was how I remembered it as well. And Susan says exactly that.
She shuddered, even as we were descending, but when we dismounted, there was no sadness, no grief. Her ice blue eyes burned in boundless fury, a look so piercing it went clean through me. It was simultaneously the most beautiful and most terrifying thing I had ever seen on her face.

“Someone is going to pay.”

Kairos

I heard that you like the bad girls, honey,
Is that true?

Last edited by Sesc; 10-23-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Sesc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #15
Vengashii
Unspeakable

Send a message via MSN to Vengashii
Quote:
This.

If I wanted to read a rant about how much Harry sucked, I'd read a rant, not a fic. Moreover, Harry isn't that inept. He's average at most magic, but the one thing he is good at is duelling, more so than many adult wizards. At the end of HBP he could beat most Death Eaters, Death Easters who gave the Ministry trouble. It's also true that he taught the DA well, including Susan. The inclusion of Seamus, who is even more average than Harry is, just makes it seem even worse.

So the whole set-up is troublesome, but even ignoring that the sex just comes out of nowhere. Stuff like that only happens in the dreams of horny young men. So this, in the end, is a PWP fic with a bit of window dressing that looks okay at first, but when you think about it collapses.

And as PWP it isn't very good either. I didn't find it hot in any shape or form. I was just bored.

Its sole redeeming feature is the quality of the writing.

2/5.
Quote:
He's average at most magic, but the one thing he is good at is duelling, more so than many adult wizards. At the end of HBP he could beat most Death Eaters, Death Easters who gave the Ministry trouble.
Untrue. JKR just gave him a +10000000 Luck bonus to him.
Vengashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:10 PM   #16
Taure
Death Eater
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
but when did we ever see Harry duelling in HBP and/or being good at it
On his way to being wtfpwn'd by Snape he took down 2-3 Death Eaters.

Quote:
JKR just gave him a +10000000 Luck bonus to him.
A luck bonus, every time he duels? Not likely. Harry has good duelling instincts, very good ones in fact. He just is good at it instinctively. People always overestimate, I think, the natural capabilities of wizards at duelling. It's not like a physical fight. If someone is shooting spells at you, I should imagine that the normal instinct is for the mind to go completely blank. "Fight or flight" is the response, not "fight or flight or use your mental abilities to use magic to save yourself". When he fought Voldemort in GoF just shows that Harry has a good predisposition for duelling. That he was even able to get a single spell off is a miracle.

It's like what Harry said to the DA. When you're in a situation like that, to a great extent your knowledge of magic is useless. It's not about pulling off impressive spells. It's about keeping a cool head, the will to act. And that's what Harry has in spades. It's only after this that magical skill even begins to matter. There's no point knowing a thousand different ways to eviscerate people if you're no good at acting under pressure.

Last edited by Taure; 10-23-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #17
World
Oberstgruppenführer

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
I was more thinking along the ideas of Harry learning to fight properly
Where does he learn to fight? Apparently, sex is the answer to everything.

Quote:
^

2/5
Old 10-23-2008, 01:16 PM   #18
Vengashii
Unspeakable

Send a message via MSN to Vengashii
Quote:
On his way to being wtfpwn'd by Snape he took down 2-3 Death Eaters.
In HBP? When was that?
Vengashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #19
Taure
Death Eater
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
In HBP? When was that?
Quote:
On his way to being wtfpwn'd by Snape
He took out "the brute faced Death Eater", Fenrir Greyback, Amycus, an unknown Death Eater near Hagrid's hut, before being completely owned by Snape.

That's 4 Death Eaters, or 3 if you don't count Fenrir, 2 if you don't count Fenrir or Amycus, who he took down jointly with Ginny.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #20
Memory King
Order Member

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Right after Dumbles kicked the bucket.

Wouldn't call them fair fights though, but using and creating outside factors is also a big part of victory.

("Solstice, Potter, it's the winter solstice we're celebrating, did you think we cared for Santa Bloody Claus? You're such a Mudblood sometimes…")"

On the Way to Greatness

Last edited by Memory King; 10-23-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Memory King is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author:coffee_n_cocoa, harry/susan, oneshot