Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Humor
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 12-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
Xiph0
Immortal
The Vanguard

Magical Relations by evansentranced - T

Title: Magical Relations
Author: evansentranced
Rating: T
Genre: Humor, I guess. I'd say Humor/Adventure.
DLP Category: Humor.
Pairing: None.
Chapters: 57
Words: 205,583
Updated: January 27, 2013
Published: March 18, 2007

Summary: AU First Year onward: Harry's relatives were shocked when the Hogwarts letters came. Not because Harry got into Hogwarts. They had expected that. But Dudley, on the other hand....That had been a surprise. Currently in 3rd year.
Link: FF.nazi

Pretty damn good. Don't even read the summary, just go read it. Has kept me entertained for the afternoon. Was surprised it wasn't in the library yet.

Checked by Minion, February 23, 2013

Play CN, for the glory of DLP~

Last edited by Dark Minion; 02-23-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Xiph0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
KrzaQ
Dark Lord

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to KrzaQ
I'd rather put it in General.
I certainly enjoyed reading this one. Writing style was proper, characters seem to reasonable and I really liked the idea of someone else being able to learn parseltongue.

Overall 4/5
Old 12-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
Demons In The Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrzaQ View Post
I'd rather put it in General.
I certainly enjoyed reading this one. Writing style was proper, characters seem to reasonable and I really liked the idea of someone else being able to learn parseltongue.

Overall 4/5
It's been said before, but being able to learn parseltongue is lame as fuck.

The whole point of it is that it's a magical language and the only people who can speak it are Slytherin's descendants, meaning that it cannot be learned or imitated.

Harry was able to speak it because a portion of Voldemorts soul resided in him....but then again, IRCC, doesn't Ron open the locket by imitating parseltongue in DH?

Goddammit.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
Ryuugi Shi
Jazz Hands!!!

Yes, Ron did.

Which was stupid as fuck.

As to the story, I'll get around to reading it later.
I got 99 stories but I aint finished one.
Ryuugi Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #5
Sesc
Slytherin at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demons In The Night View Post
Harry was able to speak it because a portion of Voldemorts soul resided in him....but then again, IRCC, doesn't Ron open the locket by imitating parseltongue in DH?

Goddammit.
Yeah. But that doesn't make it less ass-fucking-lame. Only DH worse.

I stumbled over the story a few times, but always skipped it, because Magical!Dudley sounds about as great as Squib!Harry. But since it's now posted here, I might as well take look at it, although I'm already inclined to distract 0.5 from whatever my voting will be, just for that Parseltongue-thing.

Also, I hope Dudley stays in the background. Very much so.

Edit:
Quote:
I just checked his profile out and he has a poll for the pairing.
I can't stand authors who do that. Go decide such things yourself, you twit. It's your goddamn story. About the only thing worse is writing two endings.

And I don't like Harry/Luna, either.

Secrets of the war, a murder and a fatal attraction. And he has to struggle as hard as he ever did, lest that all might prove to be his undoing.

Unatoned, a Harry Potter Noir Story

I heard that you like the bad girls, honey,
Is that true?

Last edited by Sesc; 12-05-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Sesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
Scott
Seventh Year

4/5 right now, I seen this a couple time but I just skipped it =/ but it's good so far.

I just checked his profile out and he has a poll for the pairing, so I suggest if you don't want a slash pairing you better go and vote. So far Luna is winning but Draco is in second place.

Last edited by Scott; 12-06-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:17 AM   #7
psihary
Professor

Well it is a nice story but my problem with it, before I even began reading, was the slash coming on the horizon. It'd be rather disappointing to read another good story which has kept your interest for a good 100k words but then makes you run screaming once HP starts dreaming about sucking off 'the noble Slytherin prince'...

Quote:
Mind you, no matter what, none will be showing up until at least fourth year, and if it's slash, it may take longer
Well that gives another 20-30k words more, but then it'd still be a hard task going through them. Just thinking about reading a setting for Harry/Draco romance makes me... damn it here it goes my breakfast...

"It can't be bad if we're doing it. We're the good ones..."
psihary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
Memory King
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrzaQ View Post
I'd rather put it in General
Seconded, but humorous aspects are certainly present here, the quote below is an excellent example.

Quote:
“And countless Ravenclaws have been searching for it for centuries, it’s almost a tradition now…”
“That‘s really interesting, Anthony. What would you do if you starting hearing voices?”

Anthony gave him a look. “I‘d look around to see who was speaking, of course.”

Harry shook his head. “And what if no one was there?”

Anthony frowned. “There could be several reasons for that. It could be a ghost playing a trick on you. Peeves, probably. It could be someone in another room. The acoustics in some parts of the castle are very strange, did you know?” He thought some more. “It could even just be that you haven‘t looked hard enough for the person who is speaking to you.”

“What if…“ Harry swallowed. “What if no one else can hear the voices?”

Anthony considered him for a moment. “Voice, or voices?”

Harry thought about it. “It‘s happened a few times, but I think it‘s only one voice.”

“There are several explanations possible in that case as well.” Anthony said, nodding. “It could be someone speaking to you inside your head. There are ways of doing that, you know. They could be using a charm to only let you hear them. For all you know, it could just be a language that the people with you didn‘t understand. For a person who didn‘t understand Mermish, for example, someone speaking it sounds like they‘re shrieking. But if you do understand it, then it‘s just another voice to you.”

Harry sighed. He wasn’t going crazy after all.

“Or,” Anthony said, opening the book he’d been holding when Harry approached him earlier. “You could just have a mild case of schizophrenia.”
Anyhow, I'd probably give this one a 4. If you can get past Redeemed!Dursley males, and Draco and Snape being portrayed in a decent light, you will almost assuredly be entertained.

("Solstice, Potter, it's the winter solstice we're celebrating, did you think we cared for Santa Bloody Claus? You're such a Mudblood sometimes…")"

On the Way to Greatness

Last edited by Memory King; 12-06-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Memory King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #9
deathinapinkboa
Dark Lord

Send a message via AIM to deathinapinkboa Send a message via MSN to deathinapinkboa Send a message via Skype™ to deathinapinkboa
It is an entertaining little read. I feel that it is just a little to good to be put in the bin, though it could be a lot better. I like what happens with Petunia.

4/5
Waht may seem lkie a cuasal drisgerad for sepllnig and gammrar is atcalluy my dyxsleia shniing thougrh.
deathinapinkboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #10
The Wizard
The Oxen of Oz

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to The Wizard
Been following this one a while. Definitely a 4/5 from me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesc View Post
And I don't like Harry/Luna, either.
Dirty blasphemer.
The Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #11
Blaise
God of Magic

Definitely a good story; almost how I'd expect the series to progress if Harry had been Sorted into Slytherin, and he did pay a bit more attention to his studies and surroundings. Dudley being a wizard wasn't all that bothersome - I think it just sped up the process of diminishing his douchebaggery that we got a hint of in DH.

The ability to learn parseltongue is canon (lame as it may seem),as is the idea of millenia-old magic being trumped or expanded on (Horcruxes, Moody's Eye and the Invisibility Cloak, etc.), so Anthony finding a way to learn wasn't as bothersome either. Characterization is humorous and true-to-canon, managing to highlight each of their weaknesses without becoming a bash-fic. I couldn't stop reading it once I started.

The poll and the pandering authors notes piss me off, but those are pet peeves, and haven't yet diminished the overall quality of the story. 4/5

Last edited by Blaise; 12-06-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Blaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #12
tywyll fiach
Squib

Send a message via AIM to tywyll fiach Send a message via MSN to tywyll fiach
3/5 It's good, but it's nothing really great. It just seems to lack that kind of touch of brilliance. However, the rating may drop substantially if it turns out to be slash.

Grammatically, I didn't catch anything really glaring.
tywyll fiach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #13
kmfrank
Unspeakable

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via ICQ to kmfrank Send a message via AIM to kmfrank
Just spent a few hours perusing this, and it was pretty good. Nothing terribly creative or new, but still good just the same.

I also enjoyed what he did with Petunia. And Dudley is definitely staying in the background, mostly serving just to make sure that Harry doesn't hate his life at Privet Drive quite as much.

4/5
Bioplague's #57 fanfiction author
Zombie's #43 favorite author
Oz's #17 author

Active stories of mine (don't expect updates even if its on this list, though...):

Escape to Darkness, Harry Potter and the Unlocked Knowledge
kmfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:05 PM   #14
Xiph0
Immortal
The Vanguard

I actually forgot learning parseltongue was canon. XD

Play CN, for the glory of DLP~
Xiph0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:09 PM   #15
kmfrank
Unspeakable

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via ICQ to kmfrank Send a message via AIM to kmfrank
Yeah, I think Dumbledore was reputed to know it (why he couldn't hear the basilisk in CoS, who f'in knows), and Ron "fakes" it (one of the most, "Are you shitting me?" moments of canon) once or something.
Bioplague's #57 fanfiction author
Zombie's #43 favorite author
Oz's #17 author

Active stories of mine (don't expect updates even if its on this list, though...):

Escape to Darkness, Harry Potter and the Unlocked Knowledge
kmfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #16
The Wizard
The Oxen of Oz

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to The Wizard
Ron faked it at the end of Deathly Hallows to recover a Horcrux (not sure which one) from the Chamber of Secrets whilst Harry was otherwise occupied.
The Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 02:17 PM   #17
ZeroTheDestroyer
Minister of Magic

JKR was pulling shit out of her ass in DH, making Ron use parseltongue was just pure bullshit and does not flow with the story at all.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #18
Blaise
God of Magic

No, it's really not bullshit.

If a humanoid can speak it, it can be learned - heredity only designates whether or not there's a learning curve. Troll, mermish, giant, Gobbledegook, and the bunch of other languages it was implied that Crouch,Sr., could speak, he wasn't born knowing. Languages, like many of the other things we nitpick about, weren't that essential to the plot of the story, but there was nothing saying that it couldn't be learned.

Can I speak French? No. But I can say hello, call someone a bitch, and invite women to sleep with me - the essentials, really. The point is, there's no reason to think that Ron couldn't mimick the word "open". While he won't be hissing erotic poetry into the ear of She-With-Vagina-Hair, I think we can all get over Ron learning how to say one fucking word.

Last edited by Blaise; 12-06-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Blaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #19
Red Aviary
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
But snakes don't have lips or tongues like us. Merpeople, trolls and goblins do. That's my issue with it. I don't mind anyone being able to understand it, but only the Slytherins and Harry should be able to speak it.
We can tell other people about... having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future.
Red Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #20
Innomine
Denarii Host

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via AIM to Innomine Send a message via MSN to Innomine
Well, i'm half way through.

Either the first quarter was more funny than the second, or I find it far more funny while stoned.

Interesting to read a story where the Dursleys aren't too bad. First one i've actually read in that regard. Slytherin!Harry is cool.

I fucking hate authors that do Polls for ships though, i'd never do something like that, write the story how you want to, fuck reader involvement. ><

Edit: May I was wrong.

Quote:
“So I told him that you and I get along pretty well, and he looked happy. He offered me a lemon drop and told me that blood should stick together. Then he mentioned his brother and something about goats…”

They all contemplated this for a moment.

“…did he say anything else?” Blaise asked finally.
LOL

THEY FIGHT MEMORY-EATING MOON VAMPIRES. IN FAIRYLAND. ON THE MOON.

Last edited by Innomine; 12-06-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Innomine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author:evansentranced, slytherin