Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Support > Tech Support
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 06-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
Hero of Stupidity
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Watch for me

The next semester I will be working a lot in the workshop, so I won't have the opportunity to use my mobile and answer calls or I just won't hear it because the noises.

So I'm looking for a watch or bracelet or something like that, that has Bluetooth in it, and has a caller ID option and it shows time.Some protection against things that could happen in a workshop(water,dust,etc.).Of course the goal is a reasonable price and good looks.

I eagerly await your input.

Hero of Stupidity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Zombie
The Boy Who Cried Coyote

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Why didn't you post this in real life? This is for DLP realted support problems.

D: Every post in support makes Raven sad.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
yak
God of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero of Stupidity View Post
The next semester I will be working a lot in the workshop, so I won't have the opportunity to use my mobile
Here's how people handle it in industry, at least in Australia...

Forget your fucking phone. The bloody world isn't going to end because the kids are arguing and the wife wants you to talk to them, or to remind you to pickup milk on the way home, or some other bullshit that you can't do anything about while you're at work anyway and can just fucking wait a few hours. There's nothing worse than a co-worker who's yammering or typing on the phone, ignoring their workplace, and not doing their fucking job while everyone else is nose-to-the-grindstone.

If you're working in a metal workshop, then you're misjudging a few things. One. It is very loud, shrieks of metal and grinders and oxy torches blowing through steel plate. You have to step outside the workshop to take a call. Two. You have to continuously remove your filthy work gloves just to take your phone out of your pocket... you can't send an sms with gloves on. Three. The metal dust in the air is going to fuck your phone's speaker and microphone up. Both of them contain magnets, and even if you leave your phone in your pocket or a protective case, that metal dust will find a way in there and ruin your phone. Scratched screens from metal and ordinary dust are a big problem too.

tl;dr: If you insist on carrying a phone into a workshop, prepare to replace it in 6-12mo. You tit.
yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 06-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Hero of Stupidity
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by yak View Post
Here's how people handle it in industry, at least in Australia.
I perfectly agree with everything you said. But, I wont take my mobile in the workshop, only the watch/bracelet to see if somebody calls me and is it important, if it is, then I can step out and take it. And I'm a designer not a metalworker, so there are no bulky gloves and things like that.

It's just a question of practicality for me, not having to get my phone every time it rings IF i even hear it.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
JenosIdanian
Order Member

DLP Supporter Donor Star
HoS... sounds like you want a Bond-level spacegadget, and since you'll be in a workshop you ought to:
1. Design it yourself, ala Kvothe
2. Have the people there make it
3. ???
4. PROFIT!!!

Seriously though... do things that small with said functionalities even exist for less money than it takes to buy a decent sized piece of land in the middle of nowhere?

Quote:
Gipsy Danger died for your sins you ungrateful motherfuckers.
~LordRaine
JenosIdanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
Hero of Stupidity
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
The problem is that my old watch broke, and I wanted to replace it. So I thought why not bluetooth watch.

But dude you gave me an excellent idea for term project. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
JenosIdanian
Order Member

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Haha, make it like an old school Mr. Game and Watch, with a million buttons and the ability to input nuclear launch codes.

Quote:
~LordRaine
Old 06-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
Mage
Dark Lord

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via Skype™ to Mage
I really can't give any actual advice on this since I don't have a watch like that. I quick Google search turned up this though so the product you want does exist. I'd try browsing around Amazon a bit to see what you find. Also the second review on this watch sounds pretty close to be someone that is in your shoes, I would read that one.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
JenosIdanian
Order Member

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Holy shit, this thing is a mix of , , and . I've got to have one!

Quote:
~LordRaine
Old 06-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #10
Rym
Minister of Magic

Or you could just get this ridiculousness right here:

http://www.amazon.com/Emporiom-Speci...=pd_sbs_misc_6

Just Write.
Rym is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 06-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson-...ef=pd_cp_cps_3 Pretty much what you want.

Bluetooth devices don't have an amazing range though, so it'll probably need to be in your pocket. Really, you shouldn't have anything distracting you while you work. It's the worst idea. I do metalwork for a hobby and shit can get serious quickly, a small distraction could mean the difference between taking your eyes off your work for a second and losing your fingers and keeping them.
Lord Ravenclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 06-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
Portus
God of Magic

Well, while the one Raven linked sounds pretty cool, I thought I'd chime in as well.

If you're working in a woodshop (*someone* on DLP is a woodworker, but I can't recall exactly who), then the sawdust is less of a problem than the bits of metal you'd encounter in a metalworking shop. Still not good for the electronics (and certainly not good for your lungs), but ASAIK, not nearly as bad as the bits of metal.

In all the small- to medium-sized woodworking shops I've been in, there's a wall-mounted phone in which a strobe light comes on when there's a call. As has been pointed out, workshops can be very noisy, and even if you could make the ringing loud enough, it's just dangerous to potentially startle someone feeding a warped length of lumber into a bandsaw or tablesaw.

Two things I dream of having when (not *if*, dammit) I'm able to expand and build my "forever" shop, are an industrial-strength dust collector (I fucking HATE all the dust that gets ejected from my tools) and one of these. <-- Coolest use of technology I've seen in a long time, since I like being able to count to ten without resorting to toes.

Geminio - Story Showcase - For Review - FF.net - PC

Portus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #13
Teresoul
Sixth Year

... did anyone think of a pager? It might be ancient technology, but sounds like you could use one....

The conscience doesn't forgive when you're the creator of your own doom.

Last edited by Teresoul; 06-26-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Teresoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluetooth, caller id, watch