Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  

Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Almost Recommended
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donor Bar
PatronusCharm Banner

Old 07-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Bittersweet Freedom
Second Year

Acts Infernal by samvimes - K?

Title: Acts Infernal
Author: samvimes
Rating: PG
Genre: Action, Angst
DLP Category: AU
Pairing: None
Summary: An old man in Diagon Alley has a story to tell, if the price is right: about the gates of Hades, a silver boy and a sable boy, a cast-off angel, and a knife that can sever your soul.

Link

4/5 Keep in mind it's an AU. A lot of what threw me off were the small inane didn't-have-to-be-there changes. Like Draco smoking. Or Remus as a bartender. Seriously could chosen a different job. Also, Draco's appearance was also pretty random.

Excellent premise, rest of ch. 1 bit boring. Story really starts rolling in Ch.2.

Last edited by Bittersweet Freedom; 07-27-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Bittersweet Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
Rym
Auror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittersweet Freedom View Post
Title: Acts Infernal

I just finished this, so this review will probably be longer and more accurate than my other ones. Here goes:
General Advice: Keep in mind this is AU. Also, a fic for the mythology lovers; there were also many references to other things like Freud and Dante and many others. Much of it went over many head, but it was still enjoyable.
Chapter 1: Loved the premise. Rest of chapter one was kind of boring though the map shop scene was interesting.
Chapter 2: Story starts to pick up. Draco's appearance was rather random. My first reaction was: "Oh god, not a Draco and Harry Bonding fic!". Luckily it isn't. The banter between
That's quite a cliffhanger, buddy.

Just Write.
Rym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
Bittersweet Freedom
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymrock View Post
That's quite a cliffhanger, buddy.
Sorry. Accidently clicked Enter. Fixed now.
Bittersweet Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:36 AM   #4
Tenages
Unspeakable

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Again beautiful writing marred by stupidity. I got midway through the second chapter, to the point were Harry blithely decides to let Draco, who just admitted to being a Death Eater on a mission from Voldemort, come with him. Not only does Harry not do shit, but neither does Lupin or Dumbledore.

There were numerous other little things that irked me, but that was huge. Really good writing, but the author decided to force a stupid plot device on us that doesn't make sense because it's what she wanted to write.

The author also pushed a bunch of different mythologies together and frankly it didn't work well. It didn't seem like an organic meshing, no real synthesis of them took place. It was "oh here's a name from this mythology." "Oh here's a name from that mythology"

Also the conversation between Lucious and Draco had me rolling on the floor laughing, which I'm assuming was absolutely not the intent of the author. I don't care how AU the story was it was ridiculous. "Fed dark magic with your mother's milk" GTFO.

Beautiful writing does not make up for poor plotting, forced plot devices and a poorly meshed world.

2-2.5/5
Tenages is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up

Tags
author:samvimes