Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > FanFiction Extras > The Dresden Files
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 09-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
Chengar Qordath

Sunrise, Sunset, and the Arctic Circle

So, we know from canon that sunrise and sunset have all kinds of magical significance, like wiping out unprotected spirits and dispelling a lot of magical energy because the world resets/starts a new day. So, what happens in places above the arctic circle/below the antarctic circle, where you can go for extended periods of time without any sunrise/sunset?

Is there no "new day" effect of sunrise, allowing spells that would normally disperse at sunrise to last for weeks or even months? Or does something else take the place of sunrise when it comes to the symbolic start of a new day in those areas?
Cutting Loose (Naruto): @FFN
Chengar Qordath is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 09-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
Agayek

I would imagine it behaves as if everything there is in a month-long day.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
Schrodinger

Thing is, the sun still rises and falls, just doesn't drop below the horizon: (summer-wise) so I doubt it would effect it that much. As for arctic night... dunno.
Schrodinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:45 AM   #4
Custer

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via AIM to Custer Send a message via MSN to Custer
I'd point out that Mab is the Queen of Air and Darkness for a reason.
[5:23pm] JBlaise: Looks like this douche game....
[5:23pm] JBlaise: *puts on shades*
[5:23pm] JBlaise: is in the bag.
[5:23pm] Aekiel: ...
[5:23pm] Zeph: YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aekiel View Post
Justin Bieber is my new hero.
Custer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
Chengar Qordath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger View Post
Thing is, the sun still rises and falls, just doesn't drop below the horizon: (summer-wise) so I doubt it would effect it that much. As for arctic night... dunno.
True, but as I remember things, it's the rising above/dropping below the horizon that is the really significant symbolic moment of sunrise/sunset.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
Agayek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chengar Qordath View Post
True, but as I remember things, it's the rising above/dropping below the horizon that is the really significant symbolic moment of sunrise/sunset.
Sunset doesn't matter. What has the affect is the symbolic nature of dawn. It represents a new beginning, and as such it wipes the metaphysical slate clean.

It's likely that the renewing effect simply doesn't happen until dawn occurs, regardless of how many hours it takes.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
Chengar Qordath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agayek View Post
Sunset doesn't matter. What has the affect is the symbolic nature of dawn. It represents a new beginning, and as such it wipes the metaphysical slate clean.

It's likely that the renewing effect simply doesn't happen until dawn occurs, regardless of how many hours it takes.
If the renewing effects of dawn just don't happen, it could lead to some very interesting implications for wizards and other magical beings living in those areas. What happens when the metaphysical slate doesn't get wiped clean for weeks or months at a time? I'm inclined to think that the slate not getting wiped clean for such a long time would have some pretty big effects.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
Agayek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chengar Qordath View Post
If the renewing effects of dawn just don't happen, it could lead to some very interesting implications for wizards and other magical beings living in those areas. What happens when the metaphysical slate doesn't get wiped clean for weeks or months at a time? I'm inclined to think that the slate not getting wiped clean for such a long time would have some pretty big effects.
Possibly, but those effects can't leave the arctic circle, and there's all of a dozen people living there, on both poles. I don't see it as a terribly huge problem, to be perfectly honest.

Beasties and other mobile things from the Nevernever can hang around for months at a time, but if they ever leave the circle, they have all of 20 hours at most before they're gone.

It may make a good place to do stupidly long casts or otherwise work with long-term delicate magic, but unless it's something on the scale of the Red Court's exploding-parents-o-rama curse, it won't have the reach to affect anyone, and if it's on that scale it would be sensed by someone, if only because large amounts of magic being thrown around a desolate plain.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
Chengar Qordath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agayek View Post
Possibly, but those effects can't leave the arctic circle, and there's all of a dozen people living there, on both poles. I don't see it as a terribly huge problem, to be perfectly honest.

Beasties and other mobile things from the Nevernever can hang around for months at a time, but if they ever leave the circle, they have all of 20 hours at most before they're gone.

It may make a good place to do stupidly long casts or otherwise work with long-term delicate magic, but unless it's something on the scale of the Red Court's exploding-parents-o-rama curse, it won't have the reach to affect anyone, and if it's on that scale it would be sensed by someone, if only because large amounts of magic being thrown around a desolate plain.
You're exaggerating how uninhabited the territory north of the arctic circle is by a bit, but you're right that for the most part the effects of no sunset are likely to be interesting, but not hugely important in the broader scheme of things. It could make for some interestingness though, if anyone wanted to do a story about Harry/someone else running around in the far north.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
Red Aviary
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
There was mention of a wizard living in the Arctic Circle in Summer Knight, I think. If there really isn't a "cleansing effect" to get in the way, I could see why one might want to live up there, especially if they're doing magical research.
We can tell other people about... having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future.
Red Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #11
redshell
Headmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Aviary View Post
There was mention of a wizard living in the Arctic Circle in Summer Knight, I think. If there really isn't a "cleansing effect" to get in the way, I could see why one might want to live up there, especially if they're doing magical research.

This is why Klaus The Toymaker is obviously the most powerful wizard in the Dresden Universe.
redshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #12
DarthBill

I was going to make a funny comment and link this video, but then someone pointed out that sunset doesn't matter, so have the video anyway.

Badges: Electric Grass Normal
DarthBill is offline   Reply With Quote