Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  

Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Almost Recommended
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donor Bar
PatronusCharm Banner

Old 06-04-2006, 09:56 PM   #1
ip82
Prisoner

A sky, far, far away by remind me to breathe - K+

Title: A sky, far, far away
Author: remind me to breathe
Rating: K+
Genre: Action/Adventure/Drama
Pairings: None (but the author is Snarry fan)
Summary: AU. What if a Muggleborn, a Weasley, and the BoyWhoLived were sorted into Slytherin? Six hours, three desperate children, and a revolution was born.
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2897790/1/

New 1st year AU, Slytherin!Trio.

The "golden trio" meets on the train and makes a pact, deciding to break the mould society is imposing on them. All three intentionally get sorted into Slytherin and start up their master plan to take over and reform the wizarding world.

I know, the beginning isn't exactly stellar (too farfetched, they become the best friends way too quickly), but there are some great original ideas after that. Upside is that the kids are truly Slytherin, meaning they have a plan and are acting upon it, instead of waithing for things to happen to them.

Downside is that the author is declared H/Snape fan. No romance is hinted so far (and definitely no emo bullshit or redeemed Draco), but this little fact is still undeniable, like dark storm clouds hanging over this fic's bright future (egh!).

Anyway, it's a nice story for now. Try it.

Potter's Resistance 1: Breaking Ties -> DLP Thread
Yin and Yang -> DLP Thread

Ficwad Profile || HP Recycle Bin || Crap filter C2
Rule no. 1 - You do not talk about Alpha Fight Club...
ip82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:11 PM   #2
Amerision
Heir
Galactic Sheep Emperor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
It's K+. I think slash always requires at least a 'T'.

It looks like it has some potential...no more than neccesary focus on Snape either, but there are some small things mentioned above that annoy me.

I dream of gardens in the desert sand
I dream of love as time runs through my hand
I dream of fire
Those dreams are tied to a horse that will never tire
And in the flames
Her shadows play in the shape of a man's desire

Amerision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:23 PM   #3
TheIllusiveOne
Raptured to Hell

I love it so far. This story is absolutely genius. It's one of the few stories that really makes me like Ron and Hermione. And Harry liking Potions, Runes and Parselmagic is a plus too.
TheIllusiveOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:41 PM   #4
ip82
Prisoner

Yeah, I actually liked this Ron and Hermione, they didn't anoy me like standard brats from the canon.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:07 AM   #5
Athenia
Groundskeeper

I really enjoyed this. I though the writing was fairly dynamic and the plot one of the most original out there. (It always bothered me that Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle were slytherins because none of them seemed to really fit the qualities) This Harry, Hermione and Ron are perfect for Slytherin.

The only things that bothered me (apart from them becoming friends instantly simply because they all want to break the mold) is 1)No slytherin before them figuring out the rooms and 2)how quickly they are progressing into figuring things out and suddenly making plans.
Athenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:45 AM   #6
Randeemy
Headmaster

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I like it for now. It is quite cryptic, has potential to be an epic. Hopefully this doesnt end up abandoned

When everything seems hopeless, that's when you need to bring it. That's when you need to bring the crunch!!!
-
The Power of mint and Berries yet with a satisfying tasty crunch!
Randeemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:52 PM   #7
Fuegodefuerza
Minister for Magic

I concur. This is a very good fic. The author's writing style is very well done, the tone and mood is exceptional and there were little to no spelling or grammar mistakes. Ditto on liking Ron and Hermione. Somehow, this author managed to not make Ron a complete retard and Hermione an overly-bossy know-it-all.

The only problems are that they are acting way too advanced for 11-year-olds and that this is a 7 year AU fic, which means that it will most likely end up abandoned.
Fuegodefuerza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:32 AM   #8
Lady Rebecca
Professor

Location: American by birth, Southern by the grace of god (And I'm not even christian!)
The autheress has written seven chapters of the story in German, and I hope she keeps it up.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:56 AM   #9
Rain
High Inquisitor

I like it, and it's rare to find a Trio-fic that's worth reading. It's well written, and interesting. New ideas, and a believable Slytherin placement. Those are reasons for checking it out right there.

Thanks for the link.

Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:43 AM   #10
arkeus
Seventh Year

I like it too, but i am a bit wary of the cool snape that she portrays. it seems like it's going to be snarry :/
And that james potter wass a real bastard Y_y
but maybe that's just my impression.
arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:13 PM   #11
Fuegodefuerza
Minister for Magic

I'm hoping that, if it does become slash ( ) that it won't occur for another 5 or so years, leaving plenty of space for good story. I would recommend it very strongly, though.
Fuegodefuerza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 06:55 PM   #12
TheIllusiveOne
Raptured to Hell

Last chapter was garbage.

Quote:
"Did you see? I hurt him! I didn't want to...it was...hard to resist. I could do anything. I could hurt him, I could force him to do things against his will, I could ruin him financially..." Harry ranted while he savagely cut up potions ingredients.

"With power comes responsibility, Harry," Hermione said softly.

"Oh spare me your wisdom!” Harry looked down at his trembling hands. “Sorry…it’s…I don't want to bear this responsibility. The problem is that the twins were right; I could turn to the dark side. Promise me, Ron, Hermione, if you see me going down that path, promise to stop me, before it's too late," he whispered.
Oh god, Bitchy!Harry crying about punching Malfoy for calling his mother a mudblood.
TheIllusiveOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 06:59 PM   #13
Scarty
Denarii Host

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via ICQ to Scarty Send a message via MSN to Scarty Send a message via Yahoo to Scarty
I like the story, its well done in my opinion, maybe not the best but good enough to have a good read, and the best, its available in German

Thats a plus point from me xD

Scarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:05 PM   #14
ip82
Prisoner

I didn't mind that guilt trip that much, since it was just that one paragraph you quoted. I've dealt with much worse cases, like where the whole point of the story is one big guilt trip, with the author's alter-ego (male or female) offering emotional support and love...

That ending, however, was brilliant. Very quote-worthy. The translator is obviously very skilled, if someone needs English-to-German translation, you might wanna ask her for help...

Anyway, I like how there's more and more stuff going on. Lots of plot always masks up any anoying character development or interaction that might happen.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:05 PM   #15
Amerision
Heir
Galactic Sheep Emperor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
"Did you see? I hurt him! I didn't want to...it was...hard to resist. I could do anything. I could hurt him, I could force him to do things against his will, I could ruin him financially..." Harry ranted while he savagely cut up potions ingredients.

"With power comes responsibility, Harry," Hermione said softly.

"Oh spare me your wisdom!” Harry looked down at his trembling hands. “Sorry…it’s…I don't want to bear this responsibility. The problem is that the twins were right; I could turn to the dark side. Promise me, Ron, Hermione, if you see me going down that path, promise to stop me, before it's too late," he whispered.
  • Angstfest
  • DarkMagicIsEvil! LightisRight! GoodyGoody, Love is Forever!
  • Pussy/Crybaby on the inside, Slytherin Badass on outside - set up for fangirl slash
  • Trembling/Whispering/Softly - Soft, romantic, Brokeback Mountain, comfort wanting Harry
  • "I could hurt him, I could force him to do things against his will, I could ruin him financially..." And that's bad...how?
In conclusion, I am dumping this fic. This is obviously a Snarry, as Snape is cool and mysterious , and Harry needs constant cuddling and comfort lest his pussy nature ruin his cold, badass Slytherin image. And the fact that he is afraid of hurting people.

VERDICT: REJECTED

I dream of gardens in the desert sand
I dream of love as time runs through my hand
I dream of fire
Those dreams are tied to a horse that will never tire
And in the flames
Her shadows play in the shape of a man's desire

Amerision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:44 PM   #16
Rain
High Inquisitor

Hm.. I'll keep reading. Despite the author's interests, I really don't get the feeling it will be a HP/SS slash fic. Or maybe it's just denial... *shrugs* In anycase, the recent chapter wasn't that bad, entertaining even.

It being a bit more "light-sided" isn't really horrible. At least they aren't completely "goodygoody".. meh.

Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:49 PM   #17
Athenia
Groundskeeper

Well, to be fair, it does look like he might turn around at the end of the chapter:
Quote:
"This is crap," he said aloud into the air to no one in particular. "The hero of the story comes home beaten and bloody, nevertheless, he decides against revenge.”
Why doesn't fate recognize that losing is neither romantic nor life changing nor poetically inspiring? Why doesn't fate realize that losing just sucks?
Athenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:07 PM   #18
Olfrik
Seventh Year

Send a message via AIM to Olfrik
I like it so far. And the guilt trip was made up by the last lines. Its character development. I dont think he will need much coddling after that last realization.
For the Snape factor however, I think it goes into the tutor path. (something about a talk at the end of the year) As I have seen, the author can make good stuff from the canon characters. So I will see. So far I like the characters and the story gives much more than other canon rewrites.
Olfrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:30 AM   #19
arkeus
Seventh Year

Same here, i like the principe of not dumping ron and hermione just becasue you want a badass!harry. After allwhat's the point of living if you are bored to death and have no friend?
arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:07 PM   #20
carvell
Professor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
it's good for now the chapter's are a bit short i left a review and the author sent an e-mail saying the pairings wont be h/hr and ginny may not end up with the other gryffindor's apart from that she didnt want to say much else
carvell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abandoned, author:remind me to breat