Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  

Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Almost Recommended
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donor Bar
PatronusCharm Banner

Old 06-12-2006, 12:09 PM   #1
ip82
Prisoner

Coven of The Rose by C. Rose - M

Title: Coven of The Rose
Author: C. Rose
Rating: M
Genre: Humor
Pairings: None
Summary: Harry's escaped from Azkaban and wants Revenge! Now this isn't your normal everyday kind of revenge, Harry is a second generation Marauder with a bone to pick with just about everyone that thinks they can just discard him like a worn out shoe.
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2974749/1/

This is the kind of "betrayed by all, sent to Azkaban" story I could grow to like. Harry is not ranting, angsting or killing his betrayers - he's pranking them. First two chapters are a bit weak and unrealistic (especially the way he conveniently stumble upon the treasure trove of knowledge), but the things really heat up in the next two, when the prank war starts.

All in all, the story is A-OK, offers a good laugh now and then, but not hilarious in any way. Good read.

Excript:

Quote:
Glancing around, he sensed something coming and turned just to see the darkness fold in on itself and a man in dark gray robes suddenly stood in front of him. He had long dark grey hair, wrinkled face, and using a staff to walk. Harry noted the horned skull on top of the staff and it reminded him of the last time he saw Mrs. Weasley.

"Hello boy."

"Yo."

"You, of course, know who I am?"

"Not a fucken clue."

The old man bonked him over the head with the staff. "I am…"

"Gandolf the Grey?"

"No."

"Merlin?"

"No."

Harry frowned. "I'm running out of names of old geezers here."

Bonk!

"Ow!"

"I'm, Agrippa!"

Harry stared at him blankly. "Yeah right."

The old man grumbled and coughed. "Nicolas Flamel, or his astral projection anyway."

Potter's Resistance 1: Breaking Ties -> DLP Thread
Yin and Yang -> DLP Thread

Ficwad Profile || HP Recycle Bin || Crap filter C2
Rule no. 1 - You do not talk about Alpha Fight Club...
ip82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
Element
Seventh Year

Send a message via AIM to Element
Mmm, its a fun read when there's nothing better and you don't want anything that taxes the mind. Not extremely funny by any means, and most of the humour is juvenile and strained. Mistakes like Mrs. Skitter for Ms. Skeeter and Alistair for Alastor also bring it down. Overall, pretty fun, and its a simple nice read.
Element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:12 PM   #3
TheIllusiveOne
Raptured to Hell

Excellent so far, but I can just see this turning out to be some fluffy, bullshit fic, with Harry forgiving everyone.

*Wants to see Hermione and the Weasley's get pranked, but thinks the author will have Harry forgive them for "not liking" the plan.
TheIllusiveOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:47 PM   #4
ip82
Prisoner

Yeah, I'm pissed how Hermione is already on the road to redemption. And that road is - feel sorry. That's it. Feel sorry and Harry shall forgive you... Bitch!Harry sucks ass.

Potter's Resistance 1: Breaking Ties -> DLP Thread
Yin and Yang -> DLP Thread

Ficwad Profile || HP Recycle Bin || Crap filter C2
Rule no. 1 - You do not talk about Alpha Fight Club...
ip82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:45 AM   #5
Mr. Merriman
Seventh Year

I don't care about the atrocious spelling or the lackluster writing style in which the author deems it fit to insert him/herself into the narration.

I don't care about the complete idiocy and lack of thought behind Dumbledore's plan . . . especially when it is established that Voldemort is back, and thus Harry's story was true and yet . . he's still in Azkaban for the murder of Cedric.

I don't care about obese!Remus, prat!Ron, redeemable!Hermione, or whinybitch!Molly.

But, I do absolutely fucking love it when Harry puts Fudge over his knee and gives him a spanking and a good scolding.
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
looms but the horror of the shade.
And yet the menace of the years,
finds, and shall find me unafraid."

-from Invictus, by William Ernest Henley
Mr. Merriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:02 AM   #6
Niffler Lord
Headmaster

Send a message via AIM to Niffler Lord Send a message via MSN to Niffler Lord Send a message via Yahoo to Niffler Lord
LOL thats hilarious... Well he needs to forgive for fic closure... but that doesn't mean he can't stop pranking. I really hope Harry keeps up the pranks.

Edit: Fudge getting spanked was funny. But I liked the Babbon Vernon more... BWAHAHAHAHA

“If I was having one on I’d tell you I have Lily’s memories and now I’m gender confused.”

The Lie I've Lived by Jbern

Niffler Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:03 PM   #7
Stalicon
High Inquisitor

*Sweatdrops anime style* heh heh, Yeeeaaah, why do I hang out here again? People have less of a life than I do.
Stalicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:02 PM   #8
Mr. Merriman
Seventh Year

Because despite having no lives . . . we're still cooler than most of the people you know.
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
looms but the horror of the shade.
And yet the menace of the years,
finds, and shall find me unafraid."

-from Invictus, by William Ernest Henley
Mr. Merriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:00 PM   #9
Lord Apophis
Professor

Amusing, very amusing. Just what I needed after spending the entire day painting my family house...
Lord Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:23 AM   #10
Niffler Lord
Headmaster

Send a message via AIM to Niffler Lord Send a message via MSN to Niffler Lord Send a message via Yahoo to Niffler Lord
Oh dear lord... I should not have read this at work. It took all I had to not burst out laughing at the new chapter.

“If I was having one on I’d tell you I have Lily’s memories and now I’m gender confused.”

The Lie I've Lived by Jbern

Niffler Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:40 AM   #11
MrINBN
Unspeakable

Send a message via Yahoo to MrINBN
Amusing, but I liked So Sue Me better.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:46 AM   #12
thapagan
High Inquisitor

Updated, with 500% more potty jokes (by weight).
Yes there are funnier fics, but this one has a certain
light-hearted charm.
I will get my revenge by driving the whole world crazy?
thapagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:02 PM   #13
Belgarion213
Slug Club Member

Danm you! When you said it was updated I found that the update you were speaking about happened on the twenty seventh last month
Belgarion213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:36 AM   #14
darklordmike
Auror

This was alright; another one of those fics that tries to emulate the absurdist humor of 'Make A Wish.'

Harry is framed and sent to Azkaban as part of Dumbledore's master plan. After two years he gets a power-up from the astral projection of a powerful wizard and finally escapes. He locates a safehouse which conveniently has all the resources and spellbooks that he could ever need.

From there he gets his revenge on the wizarding world, which consists of pranking everyone who screwed him over. Rita Skeeter, the Dursleys, Fudge, Dumbledore, etc., each get a unique, humiliating, and sometimes funny comeuppance.

The humor is okay, for the most part, but not great. It consists mostly of bizarre things happening around Harry. Here's a sample:

Quote:
The apothecary had two phoenix feathers in stock and after examining them; Harry could tell that they were genuine. A few minutes after that Harry exited the shop six hundred galleons richer, leaving a grinning old man in his wake. With a clap of thunder, Harry vanished, and a gargoyle fell off a nearby roof and shattered as it hit the ground.

It nearly killed and old woman, who went home, gave her husband a kiss. It was such a life changing experience that she left her husband of eighty-five years and ran off to Russia to join a witch’s commune. Where she spent the next forty years stoned out of her mind, on weed, and singing prayers to the dancing pixies that liked to play with her hair.
I can't see that being everyone's cup of tea. It's an okay read when you want something that's silly and doesn't take itself too seriously.

3/5
Old 03-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #15
AcheronBlake
Squib

I just have to say that I am leery of this story right off the bat. I hate the Azkaban!Harry who gets released/escapes and forgives everybody just becuase they feel bad. That sad, I can not deny the hilarity of this story. I was rolling on the floor with laughter. Really disturbed my friends.
AcheronBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:29 AM   #16
The Wrath of Letheus
First Year

As a newb I don't know if I get a chance to review this story but I don't give a shit=) I liked it...Could have followed the story line better. I found a few parts where it contradicted itself. All in all I was roflmao!
The Wrath of Letheus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author:c. rose, complete