Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  

Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Almost Recommended
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donor Bar
PatronusCharm Banner

Old 07-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
wordhammer
Chief Warlock

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Attack of the Deranged Mutant... by The M M - K+ - HP / Calvin&Hobbes

Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Dark Lord! - The M M - K+ - Crossover with Calvin and Hobbes
[Thread title field length was insufficient]

Title: Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Dark Lord
Author: The M M
Rating: K+
Genre: Humor/Adventure
Chapters: 19
Words: 124,085
Updated: Jun 1
Published: Feb 21
Summary: Calvin's eleven years old - well, technically, anyways, but his shorts still reach his ankles - and not much has changed. Until the letter from Hogwarts, that is. *dramatic music* *sense of foreboding* *bloodcurdling screams echoing in the distance*

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/10130558/1/Attack-of-the-Deranged-Mutant-Killer-Monster-Dark-Lord

I've only read half of it so far (as that's how much was on AO3 when I found it there) but I think this is exactly what it should be- zany, funny, occasionally insightful and very much walking in the spirit of both sources.

Last edited by Dark Minion; 07-29-2014 at 05:14 PM.
wordhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Averis
Fourth Year
Don of Delivery

I haven't read the entire thing yet, but the first few chapters were pretty entertaining. There are few flubs (a couple jokes kind of fell flat) but the vast majority is easy reading, and the "crack" level is rather low (with the exception of the introductory chapter, which pretty much has Calvin and Hobbes being... well, Calvin and Hobbes).

Once Calvin goes to Diagon for the first time, however, the byplay calms down a bit, and I have a feeling this is a vein it will continue in. I'll wait to rate it until I've gotta 30,000-50,000 words in, but I encourage others to read it as well. wordhammer is correct in that it blends the "nature" of each source work pretty well without losing what you'd expect from each one as a seperate entity.

TL;DR - Read this fic.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
Invictus
Heir

While the writing isn't bad, in the first chapter at least, the character acts are completely random (that's okay only for Calvin and Hobbes), they seem bipolar and specially, have no consistency, in the same dialogue. The author can't write McGonagall right, and in a lesser degree Hermione too. But I'm going to wait to rate it.
Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
9th Doctor
Slug Club Member

On advice seen here I read it. The fix is essentially what I'd hope for in an Calvin and Hobbes crossover. The references to annoying things that DLP dislikes (specifically the trunk) actually make sense to have with Calvin. I won't speak to the writing as I'm not as experienced with the proper mechanics of it, other than to say the story is readable and I din't find myself breaking immersion.

As I read through, there were a few portions that I thought were slightly un-Calvinlike, but reminded myself that he IS eleven, and some growth is to be expected. I didn't have a frame of reference for Calvin at Hogwarts, but now that I read it, each chapter is entertaining, and I can see them in character.

Also, Calvin's christmas list getting shorter because he has access to a wand? Brilliant.
9th Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
melior
Seventh Year

A few parts of this are absolutely brilliant and hilarious. The flying class, for example, is damn near perfect, and a couple other scenes had me laughing out loud. Between those scenes and the novelty of the crossover, it's enough to make me ignore the awful parts.

If you're a Calvin & Hobbes fan, read this fic. If you're not a fan, go read some strips and become a fan, then read this fic.
melior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
Knoq
Temporarily Banhammered

It is deeply amusing, especially McGonagall's trip with him. I'll give it a 4/5. Because I want to recommend this.
Knoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
Spyder
Third Year

This first thing that came into my head was Republic's sig:

Quote:
Republic's guide to Fanfiction success:

Step 1) Find obscure/empty fandom.
Step 2) Write a decent, not-terrible fic.
Step 3) Declare yourself best in the fandom.
Step 4) Bask.
There are some minor spelling issues - 'preform' and 'payed' (in a non-nautical sense) for example - and some lack of real world knowledge (If Calvin had breakfast in America, and was apparated to London, he wouldn't be there in time for a second breakfast but rather a late lunch).

Overall it has its amusing moments... but is quite possibly "best in its fandom".

3/5
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up

Tags
author: the m m, calvin and hobbes, crossover, spaceman spiff