Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  

Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Almost Recommended
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donor Bar
PatronusCharm Banner

Old 04-16-2015, 04:49 AM   #1
PrometheusII
Second Year

Avatar by Von - T - HP/Avatar(Movie)

Title: Avatar
Author: Von
Rating: T
Genre: Spiritual/Sci-Fi
Chapters: 13
Words: 68,896
Updated: Jan 28, 2015
Published: Aug 23, 2013
Library Category: ?
Pairing: -
Summary: Harry defeated Voldemort with the power he knew not, a power far more valuable than his freedom. Sealed away until next he was needed, the Wizarding Saviour slept through the fall of his race, of magic and almost the world. Now he has been woken, the last avatar of a dead species and a being whose purpose is so old that only the bones of the Earth remember. (Not set during movie)
Link: Link

As the summary says, Harry wakes up in the future of the "Avatar" movie... but do not worry, this story takes place on EARTH - not Pandora. At least, not yet. Some details about magic (being a certain kind of "energy"... blabla..) are a bit fuzzy, but what else can you expect when it has to fit into the Avatar universe. Some parts are very very well done. Ethical dilemmas are taken seriously! Not just "kill the bad guys" or else "killing is evil". Also, Harry's character is portrayed very nicely. First, he seems to be a bit weak (especially compared to DLP standards) - but his struggles, even some angsty parts make sense! They are not there to give pleasure in some weird angst/hurt/comfort-fetish way, but they are there since it is absolutely realistic to freak out a bit if you are transported into such a unknown future, without most everything you know etc. But instead of angsting about, Harry tries to create his own life there - giving sense to it etc. Very convincing, very nice! Also, other characters are "real", not just plot-devices. They have motivations of their own. Very solid writing.

4/5, because I hate esoteric interpretations of "energy", otherwise it would even rate 4.5 or 5 in my opinion.
PrometheusII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:17 AM   #2
Republic
Chief Warlock
The Snow Queen

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Several chapters in, and this is not badly written but there's nothing interesting or even likable about it.

Don't think I'll be continuing. 2/5 for decent writing.
Step 3) Declare yourself best in the fandom.
Step 4) Bask.
My life, for Aiur... ... For the Alliance
Steam Profile.

Permanently tilted
Republic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:45 AM   #3
Radmar
Disappeared

Quote:
Originally Posted by author, first chapter
I want to try my hand at a HP/Avatar crossover where Harry doesn't run off to Pandora and grow a tail. Although he probably will go there eventually, the focus of the story is his existence on [...] Earth.
In other words, the story has nothing to do with Avatar; it just shows Harry Potter living in some original sci-fi world.

I didn't get very far into it, but i didn't like what I saw. 2/5.
Radmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
Fardeki
Headmaster

Thanks for the rec, interesting but nothing special. The writing is decent although the story is going no where at the moment that touches Pandora, but it brings up some interesting concepts.

3/5, not library worthy but I'll be following it for now.

I'm not sure where this is in the time-line for Avatar, but I was kind of hoping it was before the movie. So that way the reason behind humanity invading Pandora could be because they want the minerals for Harry to restore earth.

Harry's reaction to the fact he was basically the cause of an attempted genocide could be interesting.
Fardeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:09 AM   #5
NuScorpii
Professor

I'd read this a while back, and I liked it. The writing is good and the plot has potential to be very good.

3/5 with a potential to be 4/5.
NuScorpii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, alternate universe, author: von, avatar, harry potter, sci-fi, spiritual