Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > The Alternates
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 10-05-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
AbyssalDaemon
First Year

Adrift in A World by Miss Whiskers - T

Title: Adrift in A World
Author: Miss Whiskers
Genre: Action/Adventure/Humor.
Rating: T.
Chapters: 23
Words: 164,935
Updated: February 18, 2014 (sic)
Published: June 12, 2006

Pairings: None so far.
Suggested category: Time Travel.
Summary: Harry Potter is thrown into an alternate universe due to archaic rules of magic. Hiding under the alias of Chris Collins, he tries to find a place among the suspicion of those he knew and some he never did, as Voldemort's power grows.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2987160/1/

While it does have a few annoying parts here and there the story itself tends to stay clear of the worse clichés and the author has managed to make a amusing sarcastic!Harry whose capable of standing up for himself, doesn't get weepy eyed when seeing people who kicked the bucket, isn't gay or falling in love with someone despite only knowing them for a few days.

Checked by Minion, February 20, 2014

Last edited by Dark Minion; 02-20-2014 at 03:03 PM.
AbyssalDaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:36 PM   #2
ip82
Prisoner

Yeah, Harry is cool enough, I guess. The problem with this story is that it lacks any kind of plot whatsoever; All Harry ever does is lurk around the castle and goes through mildly humouristic situations.

All in all, rather unremarkable story IMO.
3/5

Potter's Resistance 1: Breaking Ties -> DLP Thread
Yin and Yang -> DLP Thread

Ficwad Profile || HP Recycle Bin || Crap filter C2
Rule no. 1 - You do not talk about Alpha Fight Club...
ip82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
AbyssalDaemon
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ip82 View Post
Yeah, Harry is cool enough, I guess. The problem with this story is that it lacks any kind of plot whatsoever; All Harry ever does is lurk around the castle and goes through mildly humouristic situations.

All in all, rather unremarkable story IMO.
3/5
True, although it looks as through the plot finally picking up pace and going somewhere in the current chapter.
AbyssalDaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
KeshinNoAkui
Seventh Year

Send a message via AIM to KeshinNoAkui Send a message via MSN to KeshinNoAkui
I rather enjoyed it when I read it a few months ago. But I agree that it has no real plot, whatsoever, but it's still enjoyable if only to kill time.

3/5

Christmas Is The Best With You
KeshinNoAkui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
nonjon
Alumni

A guilty pleasure of sorts. Enjoyable to read though I'd be hesitant to call it "good." Harry's a bit annoying, and of course all of the usual 'angsty' and 'unforgiving' Marauders who secretly don't know who the mysterious Chris Collins really is, are pretty annoying. Somewhat typical and cliched sort of plot, but considering the number of these sorts of fics started and abandoned, they're still fun to read.

3/5 sounds about right.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:47 AM   #6
Deadman
First Year

Send a message via AIM to Deadman
I haven't read it yet, but am going to.

I had to say this before I read it though: it gets a gold star bonus for not having Harry's alias be anything related to James or Evans. I swear to God that annoys the crap out of me after a while.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:33 AM   #7
Mercenary
Dark Lord
Snake Eater

Ooh I had this on my favorites and alert list for a while. Its a good read once in a while. I have not read many of these types of fics so it was a new experience for me.
4/5
Old 10-07-2006, 06:00 AM   #8
Xiph0
Administrator
First Tovarisch

-crosses his fingers and clicks the link-

Review for Chapter 1:

Quote:
When those two had died, it seemed like the spirit of the Weasley family had broken...

Quote:
...but the last Harry saw, they were still fighting.

Quote:
His emotionless mask slipped and he slammed his fist onto the table in frustration. “There is nothing I can do!”
Ah fail. Can't really see Snape doing that at all.

Quote:
Severus felt a small amount of pride for the student that he used to hate so much.
..Nor that.

Quote:
They fell into a somewhat easy camaraderie after that

Quote:
“Desist in your attempts at insults,” Voldemort said in a ringing voice before speaking in a quiet voice so only Harry could hear. “Your information is not so valuable that I won’t kill you slowly and mercilessly.”
-
Quote:
“It took you long enough to think of Veritaserum, Tom,” Harry said, relishing the look of hatred on Voldemort’s face. “Here I thought you were smart, but then again, if you can be stopped for thirteen years by a one year old . . .”

Quote:
The Death Eaters looked in shock at the chains that just hold Harry Potter, their greatest enemy, and chaos erupted.

Eh, that was pretty alright. Definetly not the best, though.

3/5 works.
Xiph0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:59 AM   #9
bornagainpenguin
Unspeakable
DLP Archivist

What can I say? I liked it. 5/5 so long as the author continues working towards a plot like they have been.

--bornagainpenguin

Join the Marriage Strike!
Forum|Essay|Backlash!|Truth
The truth about Single in the Suburbs

Men, educate yourself NOW or pay the price!

Have a Virgin Mobile USA smartphone?
Check these guys out!
bornagainpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:20 AM   #10
World
Oberstgruppenführer

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I liked it. Especially the fact that Harry keeps his real identity quiet, instead of divulging everything, resulting in a retelling of canon to which his newfound family shall gasp in awe at.

Quite funny at times, a nice sarcastic Harry. Only the plot is moving forwards a little slow, but that's not too bad.

4,5/5
Old 10-11-2006, 01:57 PM   #11
Mordecai
Groundskeeper
Drunken Scotsman

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 3,485
Enjoying it so far, 4/5
Old 10-13-2006, 08:25 AM   #12
DarthBill
Dark Lord

The thing I liked about this was that he didn't tell anyone that he was Lily and James's son, avoiding the angsty reunion. Now it looks like Lily is going to figure it out.

Badges: Electric Grass Normal
DarthBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:05 PM   #13
Rain
High Inquisitor

I found it to be fairly entertaining.

Quote:
He was about to propose to her, she was sure, before she had been kidnapped by the loathsome Death Eaters, and carted away into this mangy cell. Tears filled her eyes as she hoped he wouldn't become broken again, because she now knew that she wouldn't escape. No one escaped. They just stayed down here until they died or another jail cell was needed for a new prisoner.

She wiped her eyes and called her love by his pet name, that she alone called him. 'I'm so sorry, Snuffles.'
^ My only issue. It's towards the end of chapter 8, and to me, it seemed as if it came out of nowhere. A bit odd. Other than a few grammar/spelling errors (the lack of scene breaks from time to time) and a few cliche scenes it was pretty good.

I gave it a 4/5. *shrug*

Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:08 AM   #14
Miss Whiskers

(avidly taking notes)

I know, I know, my grammar is really bad. I'm working on it now that school is out...

But I have a plot!

And the scene at the end of Chapter Eight IS random, but I'm trying to spread out the scenes so I can come back to it later.

Not the best plan, but it's better than suddenly springing it out of nowhere.

Thanks for the critiques! (finishing notes)
Old 06-05-2007, 11:41 AM   #15
nonjon
Alumni

Welcome Miss Whiskers. It's always fun to see authors around here open to criticism (and thick-skinned enough to ignore the many flames).

I'll admit, many times your fic does feel like a guilty pleasure for me but it's definitely improved on the spelling/grammar front. We've been getting a bit more angsty the past few chapters (which to me is rarely a good thing) but it starting to feel more like you've got a direction for this fic now, rather than simply making it up as you go.

Probably would give it 4/5 now considering it's still one of the fics I eagerly look forward too and we're 120,000+ words into it. It's also a fic where you barely have to read the last chapter before jumping into new ones.

I think its that early chapters never had any hints or plans of what might be in the next chapter. Now we actually have bits hanging out there (like Pettigrew's thoughts/response to the scar revelation thing).

Also, if you're considering a yahoogroup, it never hurts to make one. It's just extra work for you. I started one for my stuff way back when because a bunch of fics were getting deleted from ff.net and there wasn't anywhere other than fanfiction.net that I posted to. I'd be happy to answer any questions about my experiences setting up a yahoogroup, if you need help.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #16
Miss Whiskers

A guilty pleasure? I'll take that...

Oops. The first couple chapters are probably like that because I DIDN'T have a direction... And I'm not a fond fan of angst, but I think it has to be there, little bit, at least, because there is a facing of demons.

YAY! I bumped up a point! -does embarrassing victory dance-

Actualy, about opening a Yahoo Group.... I have Open Office, but the files (.odt) won't save on Yahoo. What kind of file should I make the chapters?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:21 AM   #17
Marie M
Raptured to Hell

I had great fun reading it, so I guess my rating will be 4/5 for now.
Hope you'll update soon and welcome Miss Whiskers
Marie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:57 AM   #18
Hadoren
High Inquisitor

What's great about this fic is its humour. It stays constant and on the mark throughout all the story. It's lighthearted and hilarious oftimes. This is why it's one of the fics that I'm following right now.

Unfortunately, there are some things that are weakening its brilliance.

The plot has already been mentioned.

What frustrates me is Harry's personality. It seems that he doesn't have any self-control. All it takes are a few memories or a familiar face or an old enemy's accusations to make him lose his cool. Pure Gryffindor.

But that would be alright - it doesn't go specifically against Harry's characterization - if Harry didn't lose his cool or get beat up in every single chapter. That's annoying, and it gets very tiring as the story continues. Chapters 9-13 are about how he got poisoned by this ghost thing. Chapter 14 has him collapse from starvation, while chapter 15 has him stay in the hospital recovering. Only a few hundred words later, in the very same chapter, Harry has an emotional breakdown in front of Moody. Then chapter 16 has him have another emotional breakdown in front of Pettigrew only a few hours later. The next chapter has Harry have his 3rd emotional breakdown in a week. For god's sake, give the guy a break.

Still a 4/5 for now.
betweeen the Mountains and the Sea

His sword was long, his lance was keen,
his shining helm afar was seen;
the countless stars of heaven's field
were mirrored in his silver shield.
Hadoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:55 PM   #19
Jamven
Headmaster

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Whiskers View Post
A guilty pleasure? I'll take that...

Oops. The first couple chapters are probably like that because I DIDN'T have a direction... And I'm not a fond fan of angst, but I think it has to be there, little bit, at least, because there is a facing of demons.

YAY! I bumped up a point! -does embarrassing victory dance-

Actualy, about opening a Yahoo Group.... I have Open Office, but the files (.odt) won't save on Yahoo. What kind of file should I make the chapters?
I thought that you could save .doc in Open Office? If not, try .txt . Though it has been a while since I have had to use that program, my college gave use all free Word 2003. Got it saved on mutiple disks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belerdorhan View Post
What's great about this fic is its humour. It stays constant and on the mark throughout all the story. It's lighthearted and hilarious oftimes. This is why it's one of the fics that I'm following right now.

Unfortunately, there are some things that are weakening its brilliance.

The plot has already been mentioned.

What frustrates me is Harry's personality. It seems that he doesn't have any self-control. All it takes are a few memories or a familiar face or an old enemy's accusations to make him lose his cool. Pure Gryffindor.

But that would be alright - it doesn't go specifically against Harry's characterization - if Harry didn't lose his cool or get beat up in every single chapter. That's annoying, and it gets very tiring as the story continues. Chapters 9-13 are about how he got poisoned by this ghost thing. Chapter 14 has him collapse from starvation, while chapter 15 has him stay in the hospital recovering. Only a few hundred words later, in the very same chapter, Harry has an emotional breakdown in front of Moody. Then chapter 16 has him have another emotional breakdown in front of Pettigrew only a few hours later. The next chapter has Harry have his 3rd emotional breakdown in a week. For god's sake, give the guy a break.

Still a 4/5 for now.
I agree, with all of this let the poor boy have a easy week. Maybe have him find out that the House Elves will serve "beverages" if asked really nicely... or not.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jamven_dlp

Quote:
"It's a children's book, you old bastard," he spoke as though Kingsley could still hear him. "Happy endings don't include affairs, divorces, and unplanned pregnancies."

Last edited by Jamven; 06-28-2007 at 11:00 PM.
Jamven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:26 PM   #20
Narf
Administrator
The Sugardaddy of Oz

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Fawkes twittered in amusement, and Dumbledore sent a betrayed look at the bird.

“Remember, Fawkes,” Dumbledore said authoritatively, and the phoenix looked at him beadily. “You're on the Order's side. Truth, justice, and the side of the Light.”

Fawkes turned to look at Harry.

“I know how to cook salmon .”

And the phoenix flew to Harry's shoulder, who cackled, swept his cloak around him evilly, and vanished in a blaze of fire with Fawkes.
That cracked me the fuck up. This story gets a 5/5 for me.

I'm the mother flippin' Rhymenocerous
My beats are fly and the birds are on my back
And I'm horny
I'm horny
If you choose to proceed you will indeed concede
Cos I hit you with my flow
The Wild Rhino Stampede.
Narf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author:miss whiskers, time travel