Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  

Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Recycling Bin
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donor Bar
PatronusCharm Banner

Old 12-13-2006, 03:44 AM   #1
Rob
Fixed

Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Yahoo to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
The Sound of Sorcery by Somnambulus Deo - M - H/G

Title: The Sound of Sorcery
Author: Somnambulus Deo
Rating: M
Genre: Drama/Humour
DLP Category: General
Pairing: H/G
Summary: AU, diverges after OotP. A Sixth Year story. As Voldemort's dark grip stretches forth to encircle all, Harry and the Order must find a way to counter him. But, as old forces fail, new powers must rise...
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2239836/1/

Well, let's see how many negative reps I'll get for this. Despite it being H/G, it's bearable; the fic itself is downright original, interesting, and riveting. I'm not even ashamed to say that it's my favorite ever. The OC professor is no Mary Sue, and he's got a backstory that makes you wonder about him. Harry is no slouch, either, but it's gradual, and has a POA sort of feel to it in terms of Harry's power slowly gaining ground.

The author is endlessly witty, too, and updates well. It sits at ~275K words.

Enjoy, ye fiends.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:46 AM   #2
Jon
The Demon Mayor
I am the Truth

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon
First Chapter; I liked the 'religious opinion' shown in the first section. We are rarely shown other sector's opinion's on magic besides the 'Wonderful' or 'Unnatural' from eitehr extreme point, by using a common minister of a Church the author has managed to get away from either of the stereotypical views.

I'm not in favour much of the second half because of Petunia's reaction- But it has a canon aspect to it, undoubtedly. The reason given for Petunia's attitude is interesting, possible considering everything, although I dislike the idea that MWPP saved her. Harry comforting his aunt is annoying also, but it is understandable considering a certain death.

I can see what Illusive was annoyed about, i don't exactly agree with ginny having even the barest idea's of how to manipulate spells.

it's absolutely reasonable for Harry to forgive Petunia considering she actually gave a abcks tory to her actions.

Don't think it's reasonable? Retards go and read PoA he showed mercy to Pettigrew for much less, and that aspect of his personality hasn't changed much.

Also; Lulz at Tonks losing to G&F at Gambling.

Last edited by Jon; 12-14-2006 at 01:47 AM.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:22 AM   #3
Merrill II
MD

DLP Supporter Donor Star
This story is so beautiful.

5/5

2|2|0|6|3
Merrill II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:12 AM   #4
Nexus
Order Member

Sound of Music!HP?

I'll edit once I read. I have nothing against well written H/G.

Edit: Huge fic. Novel length even. I might have to repost by the time I am done.

Edit Edit: Lovely sense of humor, Ginngis Ghan indeed.

.:.:. Where the Light is cruel and callous, Where it takes freedom and pride, There surge we Blackened Denarii with our Wings from Hell and our Dark Embrace. .:.:.

Humanity is infinite...........Stupidity is infinite...........Go figure.

Last edited by Nexus; 12-13-2006 at 06:02 AM.
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:16 AM   #5
TheIllusiveOne
Aborted

Quote:
Tonks, having tripped over several items of furniture en route, was regarding the painting critically.
"That's damned advanced magic, you two." She raised her eyebrows. "The enchantments on those things are- well, put it this way, Tom Riddle was a friend of the Blacks back when he was young, and they say he did a bit of enchantment work for the family to make ends meet." Harry drew back from the painting, as if stung, but Tonks continued. "You must have found a clever way of getting round the protection spells, Hermione."
Hermione shook her head.
"I just checked the spell for mistakes. Most of it's Ginny's invention."
Oh yes, fourth year Ginny Weasley breaks enchantments cast by Voldemort that even Dumbledore can't. SMH

Quote:
"He killed my mother, Aunt!" Harry shouted it at her. "Your sister! Did she tell you what Voldemort was like, to make you so scared of him coming back? I know you hated her, for being unnatural, for being a freak, but..." he got no further. The blow knocked him sideways, almost out of the settee and on to the floor, one hand rubbing his stinging cheek, feeling the five bleeding welts there. Petunia stood up, eyes flashing, a drop of blood on each of five immaculately manicured fingernails.

"HOW DARE YOU? I loved my sister!" She was trembling with anger, and fresh tears were rising in her eyes. "I loved her... loved my little Lily from the moment she was born till the day she died. My beautiful baby sister. So clever, so innocent, so talented. Then, yes, when her real talent surfaced, I disapproved, I was scared- yes, I was scared! Scared because I could see even then how terrible someone like that would be if they wanted to use their power to hurt people. Scared that the world she was opening up, taking us all into, was a world with people like- people like..."
Fics like this always suck, for the simple fact that Petunia, no matter what reason, deserves no sympathy from Harry. Verbal abuse and ten years in a cupboard is not something you can over look. I have no problem with him defending her from Vernon, but all this crappy dialogue with her telling him how much she loved her sister changes nothing. She's not a good person, and she treated Harry like shit. There is no excuse for that.

Quote:
"You shouldn't, Ginny," he told her. "We're a part of their world, just as they're part of ours. It's all this thinking about Wizards and Muggles as 'Them And Us' that gives Voldemort half his power."

"And the other half comes because we daren't say his name," Ginny reflected thoughtfully, in response to her own involuntary shudder at the sound of the name spoken aloud.
Err... No, the reason he has so much power is because he and his death eaters have killed large amounts of wizards and witches, and quite of few of them were powerful and talented.

Quote:
“He broke into my mind!” Harry blurted. His cheeks were flaming red with guilt and embarrassment. What had made him go so far, in front of so many other people. He risked a glance around the room. Even Fred and George seemed… distant, perturbed by the ecstatic hatred he’d shown the Slytherin teacher. Arthur and Molly looked horrified. Only Remus Lupin appeared to be grinning. “He just treated my mind like… like an old bag he could rummage in and…”
I was so happy when I saw Harry finally put Snape in his place, then this stupid crap comes in.

Quote:
No, he answered silently, shaking his head, you’re right, I don’t want to be like that. I’d rather people hate me than fear me.
Because you're a pussy.

Quote:
Harry leant back against the cool plaster wall at the bottom of the back stairs and closed his eyes. He couldn’t think of a worse way to have begun his association with the Order. What on Earth had possessed him to go for Snape like that? Voldemort? It was a theory he’d formed, from time to time, since these odd little moments of out-of-character behaviour had started cropping up more and more. A blood-chilling theory. He didn’t believe that the Dark Lord was consciously controlling his mind- no, if he were, then the consequences would have been far worse before now, if Harry had so drastically overestimated his progress in Occlumency to that extent, that Voldemort could still possess him without his even realising it… then between them they would have laid the entire wizarding world waste by now. Yet.. If the link existed between them, as he knew it must, then perhaps more than memories and visions could move along it. The thought that Voldemort’s attitudes, his ideas, his… hatred of life could somehow seep into Harry’s mind revolted him, and that revulsion seemed to reawaken his heart.
Great, everytime Harry gains some balls he blames it on Voldemort.

And other crappy points, such as Harry giving Ron the quidditch captain position, something that always annoys me, as it's a shitty ploy by the author to appease Ron and put him in the spot light, fluffy crappy dialogue in places that simply don't fit, and some other stuff.

Not a bad fic by any means, despite my bashing of it, and it does a good job of staying pretty close to canon (HBP), however its biggest fault is that it does a good job of staying close to canon, and HBP sucked.

3/5, because it's slightly better then HBP.

Last edited by TheIllusiveOne; 12-13-2006 at 07:21 AM.
TheIllusiveOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:29 PM   #6
Ragon
God of Magic

Tried it a while ago and didnt care for it too much but Ill give it another shot. And once again I hate to agree with Illusive that Harry shouldnt have any pity what so ever for his aunt.

GOD THIS IS TWICE I HAVE HAD TO AGREE WITH ILLUSIVE WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TOO.
"He never raised his voice. That was the worst thing... the fury of the Time Lord... and then we discovered why. Why this Doctor, who had fought with gods and demons, why he had run away from us and hidden. He was being kind"
Ragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:19 PM   #7
Nexus
Order Member

ZOMZ The world is coming to an end... Dranco had to agree with Illusive twice in the same century. Run for your lives!!!

Sorry, couldnt resist

.:.:. Where the Light is cruel and callous, Where it takes freedom and pride, There surge we Blackened Denarii with our Wings from Hell and our Dark Embrace. .:.:.

Humanity is infinite...........Stupidity is infinite...........Go figure.
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:16 PM   #8
Ragon
God of Magic

The world is coming to an end but not today. I MUST REDEEM MYSELF. SO it cant end
"He never raised his voice. That was the worst thing... the fury of the Time Lord... and then we discovered why. Why this Doctor, who had fought with gods and demons, why he had run away from us and hidden. He was being kind"
Ragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:04 PM   #9
Rainstorm
Second Year

Parts of this story I really enjoyed, the writing is solid and the plot is fairly interesting. The OC is very interesting and there is quite a bit of interesting character development, that said, Harry pisses me off to no end. He is quite powerful and yet seems to have little character of his own and often follows the lead of Ginny without thinking for himself.

If you can get around some of the clichés then it is an enjoyable read with some good humour and action but nothing mindblowingly wonderful.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:19 PM   #10
Oujou Akaash
Unspeakable

This fic is so old its not even funny. I absolutly hate this fic. what TheIllusiveOne said about harry and the like is true and to me harry is nothing more than a little shit and the only skills he got is that he complains too much. He does the talk to talk but no walking.

Fine, he puts snape in place in the fic, u guys really think snape in canon would just stand there quietly and take the brunt of the force like a frozen statue. no, the guy would act and blast him out of his classroom and wouldn't take shit from harry.

Despite that the story is well written and even though its old i still respect the author for writing this fic no matter how much i hate this fic and harry especially.
Oujou Akaash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:22 PM   #11
doc_gerbil
Fifth Year

i liked it. it sorta doesnt really belong on a site called dark lord potter, but it was good none the less. harry was realistic, and smart enough. i didnt like the orgy!trio thing the story had going on but ginny was realistic and i could sorta tolerate her presence. 3/5. and yeah i read this a looooooong time ago.

"Hey Hey Hey Hey, smoke weed everyday."

David Chappelle.
doc_gerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:40 AM   #12
Kung_lou
Fifth Year

Send a message via Skype™ to Kung_lou
Sure it was loooong. Took me a couple of goes to finish it, but I enjoyed it.

Didn't feel like I had wasted my time having finished it, solid story, deep characters and bar a couple of experiments with some alternate styles it flowed well.

Saying that, maybe its just me having read too many fics were ginny is bashed or maginalised but ginny feels way overpowered and it takes forever for Harry to start comming into his own even after the great beginning in the church and his demand to be included. Its almost like once he reaches Hogwarts he stops being proactive.

Something perhaps a little different from DLP's usual fair

3/5
Kung_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:13 PM   #13
magyareagle
Second Year

While I can't stand Harry/Ginny. The OC in this fic was definately interesting. Good fic, and I guess sorta belongs here. The fact that it has mantained a fairly high rating here, means that from the Harry/Ginny fics, it is of exceptionally high quality. I'm halfway about whether it should stay at this website. Half of me says yes, because it fits in with the subject matter, the other half says keep it away.
3/5
Old 12-16-2006, 06:24 PM   #14
TheIllusiveOne
Aborted

Why the fuck is this crap in the Library? It got 3 stars...

Edit: What the fuck? There are 9 fics in the trash bin that recieved 4 stars, and 1 that recieved 5 stars. This crap gets 3 stars and it's in the library??

Last edited by TheIllusiveOne; 12-16-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:29 PM   #15
Jon
The Demon Mayor
I am the Truth

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Illusive; 1-2 stars are trashed 3-5 are put in the library.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:34 PM   #16
TheIllusiveOne
Aborted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surarrin View Post
Illusive; 1-2 stars are trashed 3-5 are put in the library.
Err.. No. There are more fics in the Trash Bin with 3 stars then there are with 1 or 2. In addition to that, 9 fics are in the library that have 4 stars, and 1 fic has 5.

There are 67 fics in the Trash Bin with 3 stars and 17 fics with 1 or 2 stars.

Last edited by TheIllusiveOne; 12-16-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:43 PM   #17
Jon
The Demon Mayor
I am the Truth

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Which have since been rated since being sent there, stories in the Trash Bin can be reviewed if they have received sufficient positive attenttion.

And just so you know, this story has 3.43 stars, and guess what? There are stories in the Library with not even three stars. The offical, as I remember, structure for placing stories is 1-2 stars go Trash bin, and 3-5 go to the Library.

1 Shitty
2 Below Average
3 Average
4 Above Average
5 Suberb

Is basically what the stars amount to.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:49 PM   #18
TheIllusiveOne
Aborted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surarrin View Post
Which have since been rated since being sent there, stories in the Trash Bin can be reviewed if they have received sufficient positive attenttion.

And just so you know, this story has 3.43 stars, and guess what? There are stories in the Library with not even three stars. The offical, as I remember, structure for placing stories is 1-2 stars go Trash bin, and 3-5 go to the Library.

1 Shitty
2 Below Average
3 Average
4 Above Average
5 Suberb

Is basically what the stars amount to.
Which means what? The fact is there are 77 fics in the Trash Bin that (According to you) belong in the Library, leaving only 17 fics in the Trash Bin that actually belong there. Many of the Trash Bin fics have had the same ratings for MONTHS. That makes no sense whatsoever..
Old 12-16-2006, 06:53 PM   #19
Jon
The Demon Mayor
I am the Truth

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I'm just telling you how it is, i'm not justifying their placement.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:10 PM   #20
The Dark Monarch
Danced the Hempen Jig

This story shouldn't be in here. Its a crappy fic with dialouge that doesn't flow for me.
The Dark Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abandoned, author:somnambulus deo, harry/ginny