Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  

Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Recycling Bin
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

PatronusCharm Banner

Old 12-29-2006, 04:45 AM   #1
Rob
Fixed

Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Yahoo to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
The Diggory Papers by Machiavelli Jr. - T - CD/CC, CD/FD

Title: The Diggory Papers
Author: Machiavelli Jr.
Rating: T
Genre: General/Comedy
DLP Category: General
Pairing: Cedric Diggory/Cho Chang; Cedric Diggory/Fleur Delacour
Chapters: 15
Words: 54,578
Updated: July 29, 2008
Published: March 16, 2006

Rob's Warning: This is not Harry Centric! Read at your own risk!
Summary: Cedric Diggory tells the story of his last year at Hogwarts, the Triwizard Tournament and Wormtail's manifest incompetence. Because Cedric Diggory did not die in Little Hangleton. Nor was he anyone's hero. Coward, lecher and cheat, but never hero.

Cedric is just too perfect, in canon and in the very occasional Cedric fic. So what if he survived GoF by being a complete coward and all-round bastard? You might get something like this. NOT repeat NOT AU; everything in it is consistent with canon.
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2846963/1/

It's a real pity that no one has done for Harry quite what Machiavelli Jr. has done for Cedric. This reads as such a clever fic that it's easy to forget that it isn't Harry centric. If you can put aside prejudices and actually sit down with this fic, it's a great read. It is very reminiscent of Draco664's Apprentice/Journeyman Potter fics in terms of atmosphere; the entire thing is filled with dark humour and shows Cedric to be a complete and total bastard, but a hero that would fit in quite well with the tastes of many here. My only objection is that one of the future Weasley children acts as editor, but the footnotes are still very interesting and amusing.

5/5, for sure, and makes me want to go read CD/FD smut.

Checked by Minion, July 28, 2013

Last edited by Dark Minion; 07-28-2013 at 03:57 AM.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:16 AM   #2
huntedorange
Seventh Year

Send a message via MSN to huntedorange
I usually dont like non-harry centric storys but this was pretty good. very well written and it gave me something to do while i was bored. 3/5

Servant of Mordecai
huntedorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
Klael
Unspeakable

DLP Supporter Donor Star
In canon, Cedric dies. He doesn't die; thus, AU. Duh.

Whatever. 3/5, nothing special.

Klael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
Rob
Fixed

Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Yahoo to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSov View Post
In canon, Cedric dies. He doesn't die; thus, AU. Duh.

Whatever. 3/5, nothing special.
In canon, Cedric appears to die, and that is what the author means when he says that it is not AU, because although we have no reason to disbelieve JKR when she says he dies, the author explains how he managed to escape death in a totally plausible way that does not contradict the canon.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
Swimdraconian
Denarii Host

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Different, but good. I likes - 5/5
Old 01-06-2007, 12:20 PM   #6
Machiavelli Jr
Muggle

Thanks for the kind reviews guys - unexpected but always welcome. I always try to answer reviewers so, in order of points raised:

i) I chose Cedric because my chosen conceit wouldn't work with anyone else. Draco is too obvious, Moody is too absent, Lupin is too much like hard work, Hermione would be so smug I'd kill her off, all Weasleys are too open, Dumbledore is too cliche and Sirius is too dead. I'd love someone to try the same thing with Lupin and I think it can be done, especially after HBP. Harry has a severe problem, namely that I don't think he's got a scummy bone in his body (dark yes, lowlife no). Oh, and canon is from his POV so unless he's schizophrenic *stamps on bunny*...
ii) There will be no smut, because I can't write it to save my life. Ch.9 is the nearest you'll get. And yes, I meant it about the details of Cedric's bath being cut from the final version of ch.11. I wrote it, it's painful, it would get me flamed a/o banned. It will stay cut, against the day when I need to torture someone with really bad smut.
iii) It's a Weasley editing because I have at least two plans for sequels and both involve Hermione and her daughter. Unfortunately for me (and maybe her) I *ducks* quite like Ron, hence Weasley. The name 'Miranda Charity' should tell an observant reader something. Like I don't like Ron all that much.
iv) Rob said it for me - Cedric's survival doesn't make the fic *quite* AU. I only had to handwave a very little bit to make Harry and Dumbles see dead!Cedric in canon.
Machiavelli Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:06 AM   #7
reedy70002

I like it
I find it amusing that the editor verifies and expains Cedrics Jokes in a dry humorles manner
I also thought it funny when the editor was outraged at Diggory's comments regarding Hermione
Old 01-08-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
snufkin
Squib

Machiavelli Jr, just out of curiosity, how do you keep all you facts straight? Because not only are you putting in almost every freakin' detail or sentences from canon, you're also adding in Cedric's coward ways.

I like the originality of the story and the flow is good. I'm still waiting for a lot of hints you left around to be revealed. I hope you get to it, fast. I think I left you a review a while back about that.

5/5
snufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
Alexx
Seventh Year

This is an excellent story. Cedric's character is turned inside out. Its well written. The story is hilarious. Cedric is a very amusing narrator. Overrall the fic is original and wonderfully entertaining.

4/5
Alexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
CrackedMind
Death Eater

Alexx, the last post was five years ago. There was honestly no need to make a comment as bland as the one you did.
Freedom is a word long forgotten, an idea with no following in the world. Deep within the wilds of an undignified wasteland is a boy who dreamed of something bigger. A boy who dreamed of Revolution. AU
Acton's Heir
http://forums.darklordpotter.net/sho...118#post609118
CrackedMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 07-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
Alexx
Seventh Year

This thread had only a few reviews and I bumped it because I think it deserves a reconsideration for a spot in the Library.
Alexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
CrackedMind
Death Eater

While noble in concept, it's kind of frowned upon in reality. If it didn't pass muster the first time around in 2006-7, there's little hope it will now.
Freedom is a word long forgotten, an idea with no following in the world. Deep within the wilds of an undignified wasteland is a boy who dreamed of something bigger. A boy who dreamed of Revolution. AU
Acton's Heir
Old 07-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #13
Zircon

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Meh, I'm not a fan of Alexx but it's not a true necro, it'd just be nice if there was more substance after this long in his review.

Alexx: try going into detail on each of your comments, talking about where in the story you really felt that way. Not necessarily for this story, just as you go through old Library threads keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandrel View Post
I don't think we'll see a Hulk movie for a very long time.
Zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
Rubicon
Professor

I don't mind, personally, since I'd never heard of this fic and it looks like it might(?) be worth reading.

The only time I really care about library necros is when the bump makes me think a story updated and I have to experience a 10-second burst of elation followed by disappointment and rage.

Last edited by Rubicon; 07-23-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: that's what she said
Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #15
The Wizard
The Oxen of Oz

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to The Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedMind View Post
Alexx, the last post was five years ago. There was honestly no need to make a comment as bland as the one you did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedMind View Post
While noble in concept, it's kind of frowned upon in reality. If it didn't pass muster the first time around in 2006-7, there's little hope it will now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A forum notification you can't fucking turn off so no fucking excuses
When browsing for stories, please keep in mind the Neglected Stories List. These stories need ratings and reviews! That means you, All-Powerful-Oz.
Library threads are immune to necro-post violations so long as a review or other good reason are given (out-dated link, new chapter etc.).

You're not a mod so please don't act like one.
The Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 07-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #16
CrackedMind
Death Eater

Sorry Oz. I was just irritated at seeing posts in two old fic threads, and what I thought wasn't really a constructive review. Didn't intend for it to come off as me trying to be the DLP police.
Acton's Heir

Tags
author:machiavelli jr., cedric/cho, cedric/fleur, complete