Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > General Fics
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 12-12-2005, 02:11 PM   #1
nonjon
Alumni

A Favor for a Friend by Nonjon - M

Title: A Favor for a Friend
Author: Nonjon
Rating: M
Genre: Drama/Action/Adventure
Pairing: Not Applicable (but HP/LL I suppose)
Words: 4,705
Published: December 12, 2005

Summary: A little snapshot of a day in a potential post-HBP, post-Voldemort world. [A small exercise in writing for reasons other than making this author laugh.]
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2699455/1/

I figured I should link to this attempt at an action drabble that I ended up creating a complete backstory for and neglected the action on. It was trolling these forums and reading a lot of what you folks here enjoy that crafted a great many of this story's points. I can't make an all-out evil Harry, but this one's a bit darker than most.

If anyone wants to expand on the idea please by all means. I just have too much to do already and not enough discipline to write a long chaptered story like this one. It's just a little 4500 word one-shot.

Checked by Minion, July 28, 2013

Last edited by Dark Minion; 07-28-2013 at 08:37 AM.
nonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:28 PM   #2
ip82
Prisoner

Great story! You obviously have a thing for Harry with "I don't give a shit about anything" attitude (ex: Freedom of Apathy), but it works great in this story. Unfortunately, I don't see a way you could expand on this one, although I do have an outline of similar universe, only AU (where Harry goes to the first year again).

Anyway, even though darkish thrillers are not your thing, you did great with this one.

Potter's Resistance 1: Breaking Ties -> DLP Thread
Yin and Yang -> DLP Thread

Ficwad Profile || HP Recycle Bin || Crap filter C2
Rule no. 1 - You do not talk about Alpha Fight Club...
ip82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 03:59 PM   #3
LT2000
Alchemist

Send a message via AIM to LT2000
Fun little drabble. I can't say that I agree with Cho Chang being Lucius's undersecretary and getting lumped together with all the Harry-hating pricks like Cormac McLaggan and Zach Smith, but that's a minor issue and our differences in opinion regarding that particular Ravenclaw are rather broad. I do hope that she was not included in the two mystery students that helped Voldemort slaughter the Gryffindors. That would be wholly unrealistic, as she would never become a Death Eater. I did enjoy Lucius, though. I like seeing him portrayed as something more than a rabidly racist, murderous, hateful Death Eater. I do agree that a man with his distinction would be following Voldemort for more than just being able to kill Muggleborns. He obviously agrees with the man's philosophy and genuinely wants what he perceives to be a better wizarding world, even though the methods are extreme.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:17 PM   #4
nonjon
Alumni

You know I actually and intentionally chose her for that bit, as I wanted the first name to be one that would *not* seem to be inherently evil!Death Eater-ish. If you start reading it with an especially closed-mind then when the Minister gets called Malfoy, theoretically, it would be a shocking surprise. But the clues and nuances about just who was in power were pretty obvious otherwise for anyone even remotely unassuming.

But Cho was the perfect immediately recognizable non-Gryffindor HP character. McClaggan was a name I thought I'd just made up, though that character may or may not have been Walden Macnair before. Never really mattered. Commander Smith was intended to be Zach Smith, but again didn't really matter. I was hoping to stick with known names that *could* lean towards evil!rule-the-world Death Eating, or just simply the less "Gryffindorish" characters. Most of the Hufflepuffs, Susan Bones, Hannah Abbott, Ernie McMillan, Justin Finch Fletchley (that name sounds and looks wrong but you know who I mean) all seemed the type to join up with the Order of Phoenix and would've fallen as one of the fringe cult vigilante groups or something similar, labeling these folks as evil who can only be fought. This world was about a reasonable rational Death Eater POV, but without the Dark Lord driving them. And I couldn't change Harry drastically enough to fit in with that world. It would have been completely different if Harry were a part of it, and without Harry, I think this is a pretty realistic possibility considering HBP took out the other 'light' influence.

But this time it was about Cho being intelligent, capable, and adaptable to the situation or new political climate. Under-secretary just 6 years out of school. Never intended to make her seem evil or do my usual Cho!bash at all, she was just the ideal intelligent and most common/recognizable non-Gryff I thought of.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:30 PM   #5
MadEyes
Seventh Year

Send a message via AIM to MadEyes
I loved this. It was short, entertaining, well written and eye catching; A good morsel of fiction to lift your spirits and make you know that not everything out there completely blows.

Oh, and I do believe that it’s Justin Finch-Fletchley, but I’m not completely sure.

As for Chang, well, I understood that the use of her name right away was a ploy to distract the common reader from the sliminess controlling the government. Alas, it didn’t work on me, but it was none the less, very clever.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:43 PM   #6
ip82
Prisoner

Your idea to bring down the Ministry was great too.

Actually, you've inspired me to break through my block on pre-planning the next chapter of PR. I've just outlined the whole part dealing with the ministry, Fudge and that Pederson-guy. And I've had a lot of problems on this one, trying to work around some loose ends from before AND still plot an exciting part about Harry manipulating the ministry.

Old 12-12-2005, 04:44 PM   #7
MadEyes
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ip82
Your idea to bring down the Ministry was great too.

Actually, you've inspired me to break through my block on pre-planning the next chapter of PR. I've just outlined the whole part dealing with the ministry, Fudge and that Pederson-guy. And I've had a lot of problems on this one, trying to work around some loose ends from before AND still plot an exciting part about Harry manipulating the ministry.
Sweet! does that mean that you'll be updating soon?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:48 PM   #8
ip82
Prisoner

Chapter 6 is with my beta, should be done tonight or tomorrow. I was refering here to chapter 7.

Old 12-12-2005, 04:53 PM   #9
MadEyes
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ip82
Chapter 6 is with my beta, should be done tonight or tomorrow. I was refering here to chapter 7.
*Pulls out his carving knife*

So who’s your Beta? They’re taking an awful long time to finish with that chapter. I say, a little encouragement would not be amiss.

*Starts sharpening his knife*

In any case, I wish you luck with your ministry take over. Politics are not my thing, but I do enjoy reading what other people write about it in their fics. Anyways, good luck with Chapter 7, though Ill say that I’m more interested in the one I haven’t read at the moment.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:08 PM   #10
ip82
Prisoner

No, I'm not doing politics. Just Harry manipulating Fudge and Pederson to gain access to the archives and find the file that Dumbledore had hidden there (leverage).

I don't think I'll make Harry dabble with politics more than necessary. I like his character too much to turn him into one of those bastards...

Old 12-12-2005, 07:33 PM   #11
Midknight
Alumni
Middy is SPAI!

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Damned good story.
Midknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:54 PM   #12
Dark Syaoran
Persona 4
Lovers Arcana

I seriously doubt that you can write a bad story. :P
Dark Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:15 PM   #13
nonjon
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Syaoran
I seriously doubt that you can write a bad story. :P
Now that's a challenge if I ever heard one. Maybe I need super!Ginny to save crying-wussy!Harry because she's the only one who can get through to him!

Actually... I feel dirty just typing that. Maybe a smut-filled follow-up to "You Shall Not Harm Harry Potter!"

Harry had a firm grip on his naughty elf. He had to stop him punishing himself and start him punishing Harry.

"Insolent elf! I never gave you permission to spit!"

Dobby's turgid green member throbbed in anticipation.

Err... maybe not.

Actually I'VE GOT IT!
Potions Accident + Ginny = HP/GW hardcore graphic slash!
Old 12-12-2005, 10:57 PM   #14
nonjon
Alumni

And, just for the record, I intentionally left out any mention of Ginny in this one-shot to illustrate how useless and unworthy of note she was.

But she *was* stalking Harry and wearing his underwear and glasses when tower go boom. She was unidentifiable bits. Just, you know, for the record.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:21 AM   #15
ip82
Prisoner

Quote:
Actually... I feel dirty just typing that. Maybe a smut-filled follow-up to "You Shall Not Harm Harry Potter!"

Harry had a firm grip on his naughty elf. He had to stop him punishing himself and start him punishing Harry.

Aaaaah! Stop it! Stop it! I'll admit! I'll admit everything!...

Seriously, that part was disturbing enough without you going all graphical on us poor readers.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:17 AM   #16
Dark Syaoran
Persona 4
Lovers Arcana

You know, nonjon... if you wrote one of the suggestions I'd still probably read and like them. Because I bet they'd be so fucking funny that I wont even care if its Harry/Ginny/Dobby the House-Elf. Your... stories just crack me up.

Even this threads story made me laugh a few times. Heh.
Dark Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #17
Iztiak
Heir

I really enjoyed this story, very good for a oneshot.
Many authors seem to spend 20 minutes writing their oneshots, and don't even use spellcheck. I'm glad there are some good authors that write oneshots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonjon View Post

The sad thing is, if you actually posted a fic like this on FF.nazi, it'd probably get 1000+ reviews....... :s
Old 10-07-2007, 10:41 AM   #18
Lucullus
High Inquisitor

May God have mercy on the poor soul above, because the DLP most certainly won't.

*runs away to escape from the inevitable fallout*

FFN Profile
Lucullus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:59 PM   #19
Veri
Groundskeeper

Send a message via AIM to Veri
Ha.

I was just reading another of your stories when i came upon this gem:

Quote:
“Something like that,” Harry reluctantly admitted. “I mean I know I can’t ever view him from a non-biased perspective. To me he’s disgusting, petty, painful to look at, his voice sounds worse than nails on a chalkboard, his attitude is so horribly selfish, childish, cruel, and unfeeling, that I naturally assume everyone else finds him unworthy of oxygen. And it’s not our job to deny him that oxygen, but if a car swerved to avoid him in the street, it wouldn’t be for his sake, but to avoid dirtying the tires, you know? I wouldn’t particularly take pleasure in his pain or seeing him break down if he were forced to look in the mirror for once both in the metaphorical and literal sense. But in an ideal world ‘Severus’ would only ever be a word used to describe the bacteria you have to rinse off the clamps down in laundry for the eco-friendly reusable colostomy bags. Where Jorge on his second day of the job would walk up to his supervisor and point to his hand, ‘I got this rash growing.’ To which, the supervisor would take one look at all the oozing puss and spores and say, ‘Woo! Careful there. You got a bad case of Severus. Come on, I got some Snape Oil Ointment in the trailer.’ And then Jorge would-”
Things like that are why i love your stories.
Veri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #20
Drake
Seventh Year

Send a message via AIM to Drake
I usually don't enjoy one-shots, but this one was great. Most don't tie up the story enough, and leave me wanting more. This one was short, sweet, and to the point, as a one-shot should be. I also liked the Death-Eater controlled Ministry. Antagonists winning always a pro for me.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author:nonjon, oneshot