Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > The Alternates
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 07-24-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
Dante
Slug Club Member

Auburn Fire by esama - K+

Title: Auburn Fire
Author: esama
Rating: K+
Genre: Drama/Adventure
DLP Category: Time Travel
Pairing: None for now
Chapters: 7
Words: 37,268
Updated: October 25, 2007
Published: July 8, 2007

Summary: In year 1665, Alchemist Nicolas Flamel rescues a young man who is suffering from the effects of the Great Plague of London. Timetravel story.
Link: fanfiction.net/s/3642903/1/Auburn_fire
Link (zip archive of Esama's works): https://dl.dropbox.com/u/92776639/Esama.ZIP

I do not really know if this one qualifies for the Library, but it is quite original. As far as I saw, there were no glaring spelling mistakes, grammar seemed alright too. Of course, I am not English, so I could be mistaken.

Checked by Minion, July 26, 2013
Bulwersator provided a link for an Esama-archiv containing the story.
If you know where to find another copy of the story, please inform the library staff.
Principle #1: All writers hate to write.
Principle #2: To write is to play God.
Principle #4: Writing is schizophrenic.

- Richard Walter

Last edited by Dark Minion; 07-26-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
The-Hyphenated-One
Minister for Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I really like this fic so far. There aren't many Flamel as a teacher fics that I like, but this one just seems different. The plague was a good touch too. Originality is one of the most important things in fanfiction, now that it has been around so long, and this fic has it.

It's worth a read, so far I'll give it a 4/5 for good grammar, writing style, and originality.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Harry Dresden-Wizard

When an Underscore just won't cut it
The-Hyphenated-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
Richard
Supreme Mugwump

Not a bad story. A few errors here an there, but a good read otherwise. 4/5 for me. I like the fact that he lost his memories, and went back to the 1600's (400 years after the Scottish/English battle. Just think of the movie "Braveheart" with Mel Gibson in it). Anyway...good story. I also like the fact that he's not his old self, he at least has some backbone.

Richard.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:13 PM   #4
Myst
Headmaster

Why isn't this listed as a Full Metal Alchemist crossover? I remember reading this and finding FMA's "Law of Equivalent Exchange" in this fic.

This is mostly why I didn't really care for the fic as the author decided to take all of his influences of an alchemist there instead of creating his own.

3/5

My Harry Potter Fic:

To Win a War

PC | FF.net
Myst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:19 PM   #5
KenderCleric
Auror
Lord of Plot Bunnies

Send a message via AIM to KenderCleric Send a message via MSN to KenderCleric
It's an interesting story so far. At first it looked like a FMA crossover, but near the end of the last posted chapter it seemed to be pulling away. I'll keep an eye on it just to see where they go with it.

3/5
KenderCleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:52 AM   #6
Klael
Headmaster

DLP Supporter Donor Star
It was alright--english is OBVIOUSLY not the author's first language, as the errors are of a different sort from people who just don't understand grammar--until 'Evan' spoke to 'Harry'. Total crap there. Harry saying about how he was a mentally screwed up, borderline bipolar sociopath. What a joke. LAAAAAAME. 2/5

Klael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:08 AM   #7
Antivash
Until we meet again...
...Stay gold. Bang.

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via AIM to Antivash
This.... is hugely interesting in the theories it puts forth, but like someone said, the Law of yadda was from FMA, and a lot of the other "principles" of Alchemy I recognize from other sources.

interesting.

Find out how to use a steam sig like this here!
PS: If you PM and ask how to do it, I will ban you. Srsly.
Antivash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:31 AM   #8
Taure
Death Eater
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 13,152
Its quite good, I especially liked the bit where Harry took control of the body, and as I'm not an anime person I don't recognise any of the alchemy stuff. As always though, I do have some quibbles:

1. I don't like the way he's handled the Harry-Evan split.

2. Transmutation. It's just Transfiguration, but much harder work and takes far longer. The point is...?

3. The whole "it's only worth doing if you use your hands" crap. It really is a sucky argument. Evan has decided that transmutation is bad because it is far more efficient than handcrafting things. Hating something because it is efficient=stupid. Also, the whole "wizards don't actually create anything" argument sucked too. Lets take a look at the examples given:

Quote:
"Floo network, though fireplaces were muggle invention," Nicolas frowned. "Brooms were also created by muggles, we just made them fly…
So, the Floo network isn't really an invention because fire already existed; flying brooms aren't really an invention because brooms already existed. So, going by that logic, this statement is completely wrong:

Quote:
"Muggles invented telescopes and sextants too," Evan murmured thoughtfully. "Watches as well if memory serves."
All those inventions use raw materials taken from nature. Just because you use materials to make your invention, doesn't mean that it isn't an invention. So, just as a Muggle takes metal and glass and works it into a telescope, so too a wizard takes a broom and works it into a flying broom.

4. This is more a summary of the previous points than a new thing, but it is my greatest quibble, and that is the authors utter aversion to magic. If I'm reading Harry Potter, I want a story about magic, not a story about how its best not to use it.

HPATTGH: 1/35 Complete
Taure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
nonjon
Alumni

I read a bit of this before losing interest. I guess he's got a split personality of himself inside himself now, but I didn't get that far before I started to skim. Some interesting takes on defining alchemy in JKR's world, but the story, the plot, and the events (from what I can tell) have absolutely nothing to do with anything we know from canon. None of the characters we know are used, just their names for ancestors. And I can't see much of what Evangelos (when I saw that name in the Prologue I almost stopped reading right then) does having significant impact on the wizarding world of "present" time (1981-2000ish). Without any characters, without any effect or reason, I just can't care that much. Flamel's not particularly likable or endearing and this different take on Harry/Evangelos isn't one I feel like rooting for.

The idea of balance and causing plagues makes for an interesting thought, but not necessarily an interesting story (yet). And the way Flamel is just a meek little bitch to the "Wizard's Council" left me wondering why I was even reading the story.

This is very different from most fics. Many original ideas and unique takes. And yet it all comes together uninteresting to me. 3/5 feels too high and 2/5 feels too low, but since I've not even read half of what's posted, I'll refrain from voting. It could become fascinating soon but so far... meh. No thanks.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:41 AM   #10
KenderCleric
Auror
Lord of Plot Bunnies

Send a message via AIM to KenderCleric Send a message via MSN to KenderCleric
After reading the new chapter I'm starting to wonder just where the hell the author is going with this story. Harry's refusal to take back his mind and body because "Evan is better than him" is sad; especially when Evan is a bitch apparently. The fact that, like a few others have said, Evan is pretty much refusing to do magic is just "WTF" worthy. All in all, I'm loosing faith in what seemed to be an interesting idea for a fic.

I'll still give it another chapter to see if the author gets to a damn point soon, but I'm not holding my breath.
KenderCleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #11
The-Hyphenated-One
Minister for Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Ya, I hate the fact that Evan is refusing to do magic. When we read stories about Harry Potter that is wahat we want to see right? This seems like one big angst fest with Harry feeling sorry for himself.

I would never be able to let someone else have control of my body when I could have that power.

The story does have some really interesting concepts though. the bit about the reactiong to the use of the philosophers stone was very well thought out. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction sort of thing.

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait to see where this goes.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Harry Dresden-Wizard

When an Underscore just won't cut it
The-Hyphenated-One is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abandoned, author: esama, time travel, timetravel