Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > General Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 09-29-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
Nefar
Seventh Year

Can Hagrid Copy Voldemort's Flying Trick?

Personally, I don't think so, but how else to solve this puzzle?

Let's go all the way back to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, paperback edition, page 63:

Quote:
Harry followed Hagrid out onto the rock. The sky was quite clear now and the sea gleamed in the sunlight. The boat Uncle Vernon had hired was still there, with a lot of water in the bottom after the storm.

"How did you get here?" Harry asked, looking around for another boat.

"Flew," said Hagrid.

"Flew?"

"Yeah - but we'll go back in this. Not s'pposed ter use magic now I've got yeh."

They settled down in the boat, Harry still staring at Hagrid, tring to imagine him flying.
Underline mine.

O.K., so Hagrid flew to the island; how? I'll list the known means of magical transportation:

Dragon
Broomstick
Flying Carriage/Motorbike
Carpet
Floo
Apparation
Portkey
Voldemort's Self-Levitation
Thestral
Hippogriff
Winged-Things-That-Pulled-Beauxbatons-Carriage

Dragon is ridiculous, there was no broomstick, carriage, motorbike, or carpet in view, Floo and Apparation and Portkey are not 'flying,' thestral, hippogriffs, and winged-things seem as if they would be crushed by Hagrid's weight, leaving...

Voldemort's Self-Levitiation. So please tell me what huge, obvious fact I am missing here, because it seems odd that a wizard who only completed three years of magical education should be able to duplicate magic that other wizards were in awe of, with a broken wand.

Maybe his coat pockets are magically enlarged to be able to carry broomsticks. Maybe, but in the quote above, Hagrid says he's not allowed to use magic anymore now that he's reached Harry. This implies that Hagrid is restricted from using his wand, not a magical appliance like a broomstick. If Hagrid was prevented from using magical appliances, using Hogwarts' staircase would be illegal for him. So in the quote above, Hagrid was using his wand/umbrella (probably with Dumbledore's permission), to reach Harry, and he's not allowed to anymore.

Hmm... Using a wand negates all the options on the list except for the instantaneous ways like Apparation, Floo, and Portkey, which doesn't fit with Hagrid 'flying,' and of course, V's Self-Levitation.

So how did Hagrid reach the the Hut on the Rock?
Nefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
ip82
God of Magic

Yet another canon inconsistency.

Remember, in book 1 JKR had yet to think of apparation and floo system. That's why Hagrid brings Harry on a flying motorcycle, he 'flies' up to Vernon's cottage, kids go to Hogwarts in Hogwarts Express and Dumbledore needs a whole day (or two) to fly to London on his broom (!!?).

You can either ignore these facts or use them in conspiracy theories (manipulative!Dumbledore profits much from these mistakes).

Potter's Resistance 1: Breaking Ties -> DLP Thread
Yin and Yang -> DLP Thread

Ficwad Profile || HP Recycle Bin || Crap filter C2
Rule no. 1 - You do not talk about Alpha Fight Club...
ip82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:17 PM   #3
Nefar
Seventh Year

Thank you

Ahh, O.K. So it's just a plot hole. I can live with that.

Also, you are completely right about Dumbledore's day-to-get-to-London trip. I never thought anything was wrong about this. This really does help manipulative Dumbledore ideas.
Nefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
skooly
Squib

Maybe Hagrid pulled a fucking Mary Poppen (spelling?) and flew there with his umbrella.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
Evil Shnitzel
Order Member

Hagrid cannot perform Voldemort-escue charm on himself because he has a giant's blood and therefore immune to the spell.
Maybe Dumbledore side along apparated him, conjured the boat and apparated out? Not likely..
Evil Shnitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:33 PM   #6
Alexeyy
Sixth Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via ICQ to Alexeyy Send a message via Yahoo to Alexeyy Send a message via Skype™ to Alexeyy
Quote:
Maybe Dumbledore side along apparated him, conjured the boat and apparated out? Not likely..
Yeah, and he brewed up the storm to mask his apparation.

Imagine Hagrid being really a refined gentle-giant, and only acting boorish on Dumbledore's orders. Come to think of it: he should be rich as hell, side benefit of living near Forbidden Forest.
Alexeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:08 AM   #7
Lecter
Seventh Year

I dunno, Thestrals might be tougher than they look.
“Say you’re sorry. Say it!” said Potter as he thrust. “Beg for forgiveness,” more brutal thrusts. “Forgiveness for having killed everyone that ever meant anything to me: my parents, my godfather, Dumbledorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre!” was his last strangle words as he came.
Lecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:22 AM   #8
Lorelei of the Sea
Unspeakable

Send a message via AIM to Lorelei of the Sea
I say thestrals. They're strong enough to carry the carriages with the students in them, and since we didn't hear anything about them after Harry and co. landed in the Ministry in OotP, then we can assume that they know to come back to Hogwarts when left alone. As for the wand, maybe Hagrid did us some sort of charm to make himself lighter. But if I remember correctly, didn't he say that he used magic to get the letters to Harry(don't have the books with me)? It could be that he just used it for that and used Thestrals for transportation.

My guess is that he came on thestrals, and maybe used his wand to make himself lighter/impervious to rain. He then released the thestrals to go back to Hogwarts, as you can't ride thestrals/anything else that flys in broad daylight without violating the Statue of Secrecy (we know it was a sunny day).

It was probably just a plot hole, though.

Sig by Cathal

"God is a concept by which we measure pain." ~John Lennon

Lorelei of the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
Philly Homer
Death Eater
What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

If Hagrid can fly then Voldemort's flying ability seems less impressive.

I suspect it's a plot hole, because JKR didn't figure out Floo travel or Apparation yet.

The theory with Hagrid flying a thestral also makes sense.
Philly Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
DarthBill

I didn't know that apparation hadn't been thought up then. If that's the case, then how the heck did Dumbledore appear out of thin air on Private Drive?

Badges: Electric Grass Normal
DarthBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #11
Snarf
God of Magic
Thunder! Thunder! Thundercunts! Hoooo!

DLP Supporter Donor Star
You know their are shrinking spells in canon, correct? If Hagrid can pull small human transfigurations (I.E. Dudley's tail which, while not comparable to Krum's shark head, is pretty damn good) then it seems plausible to me that he could ride a broom over, shrink it down and transfigure something into a boat or even enlarge a shrunken one before going in to get Harry. He's got tons of pockets, as is shown just a few chapters later in PS(SS), and it wouldn't surprise me if he had a shrunken down form of transportation in there somewhere.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #12
vlad

Hagrid can't fly on a broom - in Deathly Hollows he simply couldn't, and apparently there was no way around that. Also, isn't Harry's accidental apparation mentioned in book 1? Maybe she didn't mean for it to be an actual method of transport back then, but apparition certainly existed.
vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:23 AM   #13
Dark Syaoran
Level 5
Mental Out

Quote:
My guess is that he came on thestrals, and maybe used his wand to make himself lighter/impervious to rain. He then released the thestrals to go back to Hogwarts, as you can't ride thestrals/anything else that flys in broad daylight without violating the Statue of Secrecy (we know it was a sunny day).

It was probably just a plot hole, though.
Definitely a plot hole but your idea works.
Quote:
Yet another canon inconsistency.

Remember, in book 1 JKR had yet to think of apparation and floo system. That's why Hagrid brings Harry on a flying motorcycle, he 'flies' up to Vernon's cottage, kids go to Hogwarts in Hogwarts Express and Dumbledore needs a whole day (or two) to fly to London on his broom (!!?).
Quoted for truth, hence plot hole.
Dark Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:36 AM   #14
Mr. Merriman
Seventh Year

I prefer to think that Hagrid simply rode Sirius's flying motorbike, which is exactly how he flew at the beginning the very same book. And a shrinking charm shouldn't be too hard even for Hagrid, who managed to pull off some fairly impressive magical tricks with a broken wand and an unfinishd formal education. Of course, the motorbike could have an invisibility option or something similiar. Or perhaps Hagrid rode a very large thestral. ;P

(A pet theory of mine is that Hagrid has been tutored by Dumbledore since his expulsion, and is actually more magically adept than he lets on.)
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
looms but the horror of the shade.
And yet the menace of the years,
finds, and shall find me unafraid."

-from Invictus, by William Ernest Henley
Mr. Merriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:18 AM   #15
Jon
The Demon Mayor
I am the Truth

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon
Hey, they went back on a boat right? Hagrid flew over- so how did the Dursleys get back?
Old 10-15-2007, 03:00 AM   #16
The-Hyphenated-One
Dark Lord

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Hey look another plot hole!!!

4 8 15 16 23 42

Harry Dresden-Wizard

When an Underscore just won't cut it
The-Hyphenated-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:44 AM   #17
carvell
Professor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Hey, they went back on a boat right? Hagrid flew over- so how did the Dursleys get back?
Who care's?
carvell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:57 PM   #18
LT2000
God of Magic

Send a message via AIM to LT2000
Vernon swam like the walrus he is. Goo goo gajoob.