Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > General Fics
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 01-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
Banner
Dark Lady

Always Smiling by Lady Salazar - T

Title: Always Smiling
Author: Lady Salazar
Rating: Teen (at least)
DLP Category: Independent, borderline horror
Pairing: None (friendship Hr, mentor GW)
Words: 23,255
Published: June 22, 2007

Summary: Running only made it worse, and crying only made them enjoy it more. So Harry smiled instead, and waited for the day when he wouldn't have to, when it'd be them running and crying in his place.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3610971/1/Always_Smiling

I'm hesitant to post a one-shot, but I found this story both intelligent and intense. Harry is savvy, disciplined and tough (does this make him OOC?) Let's say that this is the Harry that we could see First-Year Harry could have been, if he focused on survival. Ordinarily, a Harry that's studying sword would be a major turn-off, but he's spending *years* at his mastery, and he's using it WITH his magic.

I *love* the ending.

Checked by Minion, March 24, 2013

Tehan : These men are known as Mythbusters.

Last edited by Dark Minion; 03-24-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Memory King
Order Member

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I read this a while ago, the author is actually one of my favourites. Writing certainly didn't disappoint, and the story is rather long considering it's chapter count. The retelling of the books was handled pretty well IMHO, and Harry's character was fantastic! The ending was very bloody, which was a big plus. The mentorship didn't bother me in the slightest.

4.8/5

("Solstice, Potter, it's the winter solstice we're celebrating, did you think we cared for Santa Bloody Claus? You're such a Mudblood sometimes…")"

On the Way to Greatness
Memory King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Bukay
Professor

I think I've alread seen this fic somewhere on this forum, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I like the way Harry is portrayed. The only downside (for me) is this strong anime/manga/whatever thing.... except for that, a good read

4/5
Bukay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
ip82
Prisoner

I think this was already posted before, probably alongside her other great oneshot "Unholy". Either way, an excellent short story. Too bad the author never really attempted to write an actual novel-length fic.

Potter's Resistance 1: Breaking Ties -> DLP Thread
Yin and Yang -> DLP Thread

Ficwad Profile || HP Recycle Bin || Crap filter C2
Rule no. 1 - You do not talk about Alpha Fight Club...
ip82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
Banner
Dark Lady

It's already posted?
Damn. I'm sorry about that. I *did* look around on the site, and I didn't see it anywhere. I apologize. (I have GOT to figure out the search function here. I just can't seem to make it work right.)

Tehan : These men are known as Mythbusters.
Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
slasheh
Seventh Year

i actually prefer it, when authors stick to their limits. Not everyone can write a novel, but a decent one-shot is also nice
slasheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:01 AM   #7
Cruentus
Chief Warlock

DLP Supporter Donor Star
She said that this had elements of Ruroni Kenshin in it, but I saw Harry as closer to Ichimaru Gin from Bleach then anything else, but then again nobody really knows what Gin is thinking so I could be wrong.

5/5 for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR7uaIFVFiM

In which an angry British man plays a dating sim...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVa0Crj1oD8
Cruentus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:44 AM   #8
Testament
Seventh Year

I too found Harry's attitude something like Gin's from Bleach, especially the way he smiles. That being said I really enjoyed this story. It was extremely well written, apart from the occasional spelling/grammar mistake here and there, and the characterizations were pretty good too.

My only complaint would be that the kata styles were somewhat confusing and may have been able to be explained better, but I can nod my head and pretend to know what Harry was doing.

5/5

Testament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:34 AM   #9
Vtigo
Second Year

I would have to agree that some more detail's in a few areas would be nice, but then again it's also a one shot so it's not really needed.

4/5

Last edited by Vtigo; 01-14-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Vtigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #10
Drake
Seventh Year

Send a message via AIM to Drake
I enjoyed reading the story, but the one thing I found rather annoying was Harry and Ginny's discovery of the wonders the library held. I am glad that Harry took several years to get anywhere in his training, but I felt that there was a severe lack of magic in this story. I think the best part of the story however was Harry's hidden ruthlessness, and determination to devour the weak. I'd rate this story 4/5.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:01 AM   #11
Niffler Lord
Headmaster

Send a message via AIM to Niffler Lord Send a message via MSN to Niffler Lord Send a message via Yahoo to Niffler Lord
I kindda found it ordinary actually. While it wasn't bad per say it just seemed to be lacking a certain omph and didn't have anything to really grab my attention.

3/5

“If I was having one on I’d tell you I have Lily’s memories and now I’m gender confused.”

The Lie I've Lived by Jbern

Niffler Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:11 PM   #12
Garret P.I.
Backtraced

I'm with Niffler... ordinary.

Two things that made me roll my eyes was the lack of a mentor teaching him anything... and the idea that he somehow practiced while at the dursleys. Excuse me... where precisely would he do this? In the back yard... where the neighbors might see and make snide remarks about. The Dursleys would have none of that sort of "foolishness". After all, "perfectly normal people don't go about swinging wooden swords in their back yard... and they especially don't go in for any sort of oriental nonsense either. " is what they'd probably say about it.

You simply cannot learn swordsmanship to any degree of mastery on your own (from a book)... and especially not without an opponent to practice against.
Garret P.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #13
Kate
Fourth Year
Elite Member

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
She said that this had elements of Ruroni Kenshin in it, but I saw Harry as closer to Ichimaru Gin from Bleach then anything else, but then again nobody really knows what Gin is thinking so I could be wrong.
I don't think it was Harry's' attitude she referred to as mush as the different kind of swords and sword styles (reversed blade sword and so on).

As for the story, it has been discussed on this forum before, but the thread must have been deleted.

In any case, I almost never enjoy Harry Potter fics that involve Japanese swords (Probably because those kind of stories often focus more on swords than magic, and coincidentally involve a long shopping trip and several random clichés).

Although this wasn't half as bad as other 'sword'-fics I found myself bored and skimmed through most of it. As Niffler said, it is in seriously need of some omph.

Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #14
Paravon
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret P.I. View Post
The idea that he somehow practiced while at the dursleys. Excuse me... where precisely would he do this?
He wasn't practicing with a sword, he was practicing the focusing of his senses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret P.I. View Post
You simply cannot learn swordsmanship to any degree of mastery on your own (from a book)... and especially not without an opponent to practice against.
The same can be said of learning complicated magic from any book, but we accept that in fics. Besides, it's a magic book.

Paravon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #15
Calis Clayr
Seventh Year

Ah, gotta love Sojiro...

Anyway, a nice one-shot. He doesn't become super!Harry as soon as het gets a sword, the training isn't rushed, and he's aware he won't be a master for many years.
The only thing I didn't think was realistic is the fact he actually carries a katana around (and a wakizashi, later) and nobody notices it (or I missed that part in the fic). Even with bulky robes, it would be noticable...
... and it's too bad we don't get to read how he kicks Voldie's ass with a sword
Calis Clayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:54 AM   #16
007_rock
DA Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 007_rock
I liked this story except for all those Japanese words........ Reuniting the golden Trio plus Gin-Gin was a bit much though..... She could've continued the story in my opinion, especially with such meticulous build up......
4/5

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle - Inspire
007_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #17
Tsukiyomi-chan
Squib

4/5

Harry really reminded me of Gin from Bleach, which is fine by me cause Gin is awesome. Its a pretty good story that should definitely be continued. I liked the use of the Japanese, in my opinion it just makes the story better instead of translating all the names. I mean, you don't see anyone translating the spells from HP into english, so why translate the Japanese.

If continued, I think Ginny would make a good Soifon. Their tempers are certainly similar.

Definitely worth a read.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #18
Andro
Master of Death

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Those swords wouldn't happen to be katanas, would they? It's funny, because it's the first thing that comes to mind when I read "Japanese" and "sword" in the same sentence. Excluding seppuku.
Andro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #19
Stalicon
High Inquisitor

Quote:
The sakabatō (逆刃刀, lit. reverse-blade sword) is the main weapon of the character Himura Kenshin. It was created by Nobuhiro Watsuki as an original weapon that represents Kenshin's unwillingness to kill.

On a normal katana, the outwardly curved side of the sword is sharp, while the inwardly curved side of the sword (棟, mune) is blunt. In contrast, the sakabatō has the cutting edge on the inwardly curved side of the sword. The sakabatō is able to break other katana while fencing because the outward side is blunt, so the edge is more bold and it could damage the sharp edge sword.
^ That answer your question? Personally, I liked this a lot. I too, was often reminded of Gin, though equally of Kenshin.

This passes the sword phobia because it's developed well, in my opinion. Said phobia only kicks up when Harry disappears for 1 hour - 9000years and saves the day with his 1337 samurai-ninja techniques.

4/5
Stalicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:59 AM   #20
Mercenary
Dark Lord
Snake Eater

Damn. It really does remind me of Gin. A more detached person from the world. It's an interesting take on Harry.
I wouldnt say its the best thing I've ever read but as a guilty pleasure read, it's one of the best.
5/5

Tags
author:lady salazar, independent, oneshot