Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > General Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 03-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
Lyndon Eye
Dark Lord

What Makes a Good Sidekick?

Many of our favorite heroes have sidekicks.

Batman had Robin.

Tom Sawyer had Huckleberry Finn.

Sherlock Holmes had Watson.

And of course, Harry Potter had Ron, and to a lesser (or greater, depending on your definition) extent, Hermione.

Just some food for thought:

-What makes a good sidekick?

-What role is the sidekick supposed to fulfill?

-Why do the villains never have sidekicks and only henchmen/servants?

-And (most relevant to DLP): Can Ron Weasley be considered a good sidekick? Can Hermione Granger?

-Oscar Wilde
Lyndon Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Link
Unspeakable

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I'd say that a good sidekick is someone who is not a redhead.

Nah, Ron Weasley is a good sidekick, I think, despite the fact I dislike him. He's stupid, jaleous, backstabbing kind of friend, but can be useful once in a while. Like... helping Harry mastering the Cruciatus Curse.
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
afrojack

Send a message via AIM to afrojack
The role of the sidekick is to show the great enduring friendship of the hero as opposed to the utilitarian, solitary emotional disposition of the villain. The villain is alone because he has no love, and the point of sidekicks is to demonstrate the hero's. Also, perhaps to show power in unity, because the only way to beat a Powerful Dark Lord is to team up. Unfair bastards, lol.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
Narion
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndon Eye View Post
-What makes a good sidekick?
Loyalty and competence, mainly. Loyalty is an obvious necessity in a follower of any importance, and competence is necessary for a follower to be important.

Quote:
-What role is the sidekick supposed to fulfill?
Several. A sidekick can be a useful foil for ideas, or source of otherwise unusual information. There's also the potential uses in combat, and in sensitive duties that the central character is too busy to handle.

Quote:
-Why do the villains never have sidekicks and only henchmen/servants?
Largely because villains don't establish a stable power structure. They're always looking to advance, and they'll do whatever it takes to do so. A sidekick requires trust, and it's not possible to trust someone who'll stab you in the back at the first opportunity. That said, there are villains who do have people that they trust to such an extent, but they still keep the relationship distant, so it lacks the personal quality that hero-sidekick relationships have.

A lot of the issue here is that a stable relationship almost always involves a sharing of power in some sense or another, and most villains are absolute dictators.

Quote:
-And (most relevant to DLP): Can Ron Weasley be considered a good sidekick? Can Hermione Granger?
Neither can. Ron is disloyal and incompetent, requires an excessive investment of time for a return that is modest at best and poor in average circumstances, and will abandon Harry without a second thought. Hermione is too focused on herself to be a suitable sidekick, and wants Harry to be dependent on her, which could be a fatal fault, with impacts potentially extending to affect the entire wizarding world. Neither even qualifies as a good friend, much less a good sidekick.

Narion
People are not always entitled to their opinions, or put another way, not all opinions are equally valid. The difference between democracy and mob idiocy is determined by the quality of the participants. Sometimes the only way to have a productive discourse is to ignore or even silence people who don't deserve to be heard, because they aren't knowledgeable enough about the topic at hand to contribute anything meaningful.
Narion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
Banner
Dark Lady

A REALLY good sidekick isn't really a sidekick at all -
1) He's intelligent, with a contrasting viewpoint and a type of education that makes him a good sounding board for ideas
2) His morals are functionally close to those of the hero (not necessarily identical)
3) Neither a whiner, or unreasonably optimistic.
4) Has his own useful skill set, complementary to those of the hero
5) Self-starting, and well-capable of independant action.
6) NOT a bootlicker, yes-man, or trained seal.
7) He's loyal, either to the hero or to the hero's cause.

He enhances and complements the hero's strengths, covers the hero's failings.

Tehan : These men are known as Mythbusters.

Last edited by Banner; 03-30-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
Amerision
God of Magic
Galactic Sheep Emperor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
The most important trait a sidekick should exhibit is predictability. Communication is not always possible - especially when you need it most.

Because of this, knowing that you can rely on the sidekick to decide things a certain way makes cooperation much easier.

I dream of gardens in the desert sand
I dream of love as time runs through my hand
I dream of fire
Those dreams are tied to a horse that will never tire
And in the flames
Her shadows play in the shape of a man's desire

Amerision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
Seratin
Bloodwreath
Fir Bholg

If the main hero ever loses a fight (how many times does that happen in batman?) he can go drinking and take out his woes on said unsuspecting sidekick.

I lol'd at the thought of a drunk batman slurring his words and brandishing a whiskey bottle at Robin while calling for Batgirl to make herself useful and get the bed warmed up.
(07:00:01) ::: (§) Nickname: T3t changed his nickname to SeratinsBitch
Seratin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
White Rabbit
Hippity Hoppity

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Speaking of Batman, the main reason his relationship with the Robins was because of the hot pants. Not because of the whole gay aspect, but because of the superiority he felt from demeaning Robin. And since Batman makes Robin feel inferior, he automatically puts himself in a postion of power in Robin's mind. Thus having a loyal sidekick, who's open to becoming like Batman, but always holding him up to mythical proportions.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:09 PM   #9
Banner
Dark Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryer Rabbit View Post
Speaking of Batman, the main reason his relationship with the Robins was because of the hot pants. Not because of the whole gay aspect, but because of the superiority he felt from demeaning Robin. And since Batman makes Robin feel inferior, he automatically puts himself in a postion of power in Robin's mind. Thus having a loyal sidekick, who's open to becoming like Batman, but always holding him up to mythical proportions.

And then one day, Robin went out alone in the Batmobile, and met a Very Friendly girl, who took him out dancing and drinking, and didn't even insist on paying, unlike all the "liberated" women he had met before. After they gyrated on the dance floor for a while, she led him by the hand back to the parking lot, where she showed him just HOW inconvenient bucket seats can be.
Robin got back to the mansion well after dawn. The next evening, he looked in the mirror and decided to change his image.
Thus, Nightwing was born.

Boy was the Bat PISSED.

Tehan : These men are known as Mythbusters.
Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:41 PM   #10
White Rabbit
Hippity Hoppity

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Lol. Nah Batman kicked his ass to the curb. Little Robin was just getting too old for his tastes. That's the real reason Dick Grayson decided to become Nightwing.

Last edited by White Rabbit; 03-31-2008 at 10:58 PM.
White Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:00 PM   #11
Darius
God of Magic
13/m/box

Location: The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online motherfucker and see what happens
...I don't get how Ron is disloyal besides the one instance in GoF - he was 15.

I'm pretty
I'm cute
I'm popular to boot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox
And How am I fat? I'm 5'11 and 190.
Quote:
4- I don't weigh 400 pounds and I'm not under 4' feet, Despite what Minion and Sree say. I'm 164 and 6'3. Just measured and weighed myself not a day ago.
Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:01 PM   #12
Blaise
God of Magic

Batman had all sorts of sidekicks, really...though I suppose only Robin got to ride shotgun in the Batmobile.

Back on topic: I think that a drive to reach the same goals as the hero, yet a firm knowledge and acceptance of their role as second fiddle, makes for a good sidekick. I
Old 03-31-2008, 11:35 PM   #13
Demons In The Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius View Post
...I don't get how Ron is disloyal besides the one instance in GoF - he was 15.
You didn't read DH? He pulled another bitch move, and he was I believe 17 at the time. Granted, he did return to them eventually, but he proved once again he is a fickle friend that lets his emotions get the best of him, and is capable of deserting his best friends for selfish reasons. Sure he made up later, but a true friend sticks with you through the highs and the lows, not doing what Ron did.

Ron is a bitch plain and simple. A mediocre, jealous, petulant, inferiority complex having, mostly useless bitch at that. He does nothing for Harry but waste his time and distract him from what's important.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:46 PM   #14
Darius
God of Magic
13/m/box

Location: The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online motherfucker and see what happens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demons In The Night View Post
You didn't read DH? He pulled another bitch move, and he was I believe 17 at the time. Granted, he did return to them eventually, but he proved once again he is a fickle friend that lets his emotions get the best of him, and is capable of deserting his best friends for selfish reasons. Sure he made up later, but a true friend sticks with you through the highs and the lows, not doing what Ron did.

Ron is a bitch plain and simple. A mediocre, jealous, petulant, inferiority complex having, mostly useless bitch at that. He does nothing for Harry but waste his time and distract him from what's important.
No I didn't actually. Oops

I'm pretty
I'm cute
I'm popular to boot!

Quote:
And How am I fat? I'm 5'11 and 190.
Quote:
4- I don't weigh 400 pounds and I'm not under 4' feet, Despite what Minion and Sree say. I'm 164 and 6'3. Just measured and weighed myself not a day ago.
Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:32 AM   #15
Lyndon Eye
Dark Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demons In The Night View Post
True, true. But isn't that what makes him a good sidekick?

I think one of the most important functions of the sidekick is to act as a foil for the hero. For instance, Sherlock Holmes' brilliance wouldn't be so amazing if we didn't have Watson's mediocrity to compare it to (hmm... just another thought, perhaps a good sidekick just needs to be average? Like us? That way, it emphasizes the uniqueness of the hero).

Ron, if nothing else, certainly highlights Harry's qualities. As lazy as Harry is, Ron makes him look like a workaholic. As rude as Harry may be at times, Ron makes him look like a saint.

Indeed, I'd argue that if the sidekick ever overshadowed the hero (*cough* Hermione), then the author didn't do a very good job with creating the role.

-Oscar Wilde
Old 04-01-2008, 12:48 AM   #16
Narion
Fifth Year

The difficulty with that argument is that while the internal comparisons are accurate, Harry is the average one, and Ron is just nigh-useless. Sure, when Ron is around, Harry looks better, but Ron only drags Harry down in the end, which is the exact opposite of what a sidekick does. Ron isn't the sidekick, he's the utter failure that exists to show just how comparatively awesome the hero is.

Watson, it should be noted, was likely more talented than most police inspectors, or at least on a fairly similar level to them - it's just that Holmes outshone him so very much, in addition to being the very driving force of his much more limited talents. In addition, he had talents of his own, independent of Holmes. If anything, this just further emphasized Holmes' ability.

Narion
People are not always entitled to their opinions, or put another way, not all opinions are equally valid. The difference between democracy and mob idiocy is determined by the quality of the participants. Sometimes the only way to have a productive discourse is to ignore or even silence people who don't deserve to be heard, because they aren't knowledgeable enough about the topic at hand to contribute anything meaningful.
Narion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:01 AM   #17
Lyndon Eye
Dark Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narion View Post
Ron isn't the sidekick, he's the utter failure that exists to show just how comparatively awesome the hero is.
And my argument is that the primary role of the sidekick is to emphasize the good qualities of the hero. Which would make Ron the perfect sidekick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narion View Post
Watson, it should be noted, was likely more talented than most police inspectors, or at least on a fairly similar level to them - it's just that Holmes outshone him so very much... this just further emphasized Holmes' ability.
Again, Watson's main role is to make us appreciate just how great Holmes is. We, the reader, are on Watson's level and can relate to him. But Holmes, the hero, is miles above that.

The sidekick isn't meant to be useful, I don't think (Ron certainly isn't, in the conventional sense of the word. And Hermione's too useful, which prompts many to dislike her as a character, which is why her character doesn't make a very good sidekick). From a literary standpoint, the primary role of the sidekick is just to provide a contrast to our hero and a comparison that emphasizes said hero's heroicism.

-Oscar Wilde
Old 04-01-2008, 01:22 AM   #18
White Rabbit
Hippity Hoppity

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Ron hinder's instead of helps. Yes, he makes Harry look better than average, but a sidekick's main objective is to help the hero. Sure, the sidekick can goof up a few times, but he needs to be of some use.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:24 AM   #19
Philly Homer
Death Eater
What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

If itís a female sidekick we are talking about, then she better be fucking fantastic in bed, otherwise she is worthless. In fact the only competent female sidekick, which I can recall is Mystique, but she is never completely loyal to one person, so my original point of female sidekick being worthless, unless she is great at giving head, sticks.

As for Ron, I donít think I can elaborate further on this;

Quote:
Old 04-01-2008, 01:40 AM   #20
Viper
Third Year

Quote:
QFT.

The best sidekick, according to me, would be Samwise Gamgee. He's loyal, helpful and everything I look for in a sidekick.

*Completely off topic*
Homer, did Flair lose or win at Wrestlemania?