Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > The Alternates
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 04-15-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
Memory King
Order Member

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Awaken Sleeper by Water Mage - T - Dresden Files

Title: Awaken Sleeper
Author: Water Mage
Rating: T
Genre: Supernatural/Adventure
DLP Category: The Alternates
Pairing: None yet
Chapters: 25
Words: 178,854
Updated: January 21, 2013
Published: April 7, 2008

Summary: For years Harrison Potter has been in a mental institution living dreams of magic, wizards, and dark lords. Eventually the dreamer has to awaken. His reality has to be accepted as fantasy. Although some things stay the same... Dresden Files xover.
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4183715/1/Awaken_Sleeper

Just noticed that this isn't in the Library yet, decided to rectify that now.

5/5

Checked by Minion, January 28, 2013

("Solstice, Potter, it's the winter solstice we're celebrating, did you think we cared for Santa Bloody Claus? You're such a Mudblood sometimes…")"

On the Way to Greatness

Last edited by Dark Minion; 01-28-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Memory King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
D.S.
First Year

It is in the library technically. It's under Work by Author. I've been following the story, though. Personally, I think it's great.
I agree, 5/5 thus far.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
LogrusMage
Supreme Mugwump

Send a message via AIM to LogrusMage
I like it, but it is a bit early to tell. I'll wait on the plot before grading it.

Thanks to Sir_Xiph0 for the Sig
LogrusMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
Korisovra
Headmaster

Send a message via AIM to Korisovra Send a message via MSN to Korisovra Send a message via Yahoo to Korisovra
Not really my cup of tea, but interesting none-the-less. I'll give it a 4/5

"I don't like poodles," muttered Batman, looking rather like a child being scolded.

Korisovra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:12 PM   #5
Pieman
Seventh Year

4.5/5. It is a great story, nearly perfect, but I think the reintroduction of magic was a bit quick. Its probably just a personal thing.
Pieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:00 AM   #6
Averis
Fourth Year
Don of Delivery

High Score: 3,065
I think from time to time the story comes on a little heavy, and Harry makes some thick comments during dialogue--questioning his four year old brother on his drug-use, for example--but the plot is interesting, and has potential, as most Dresden crossovers do. I don't think the reintroduction of magic was too quick--in fact, I think quite the opposite. The scene (which I wont spoil for anyone who hasn't read the story) reinforces Aiden's spookiness while giving Harry back his magic use in a believeable way. Although, I will concede that the origins of the wand are a bit sketchy.

Overall, this is a good, quick read with nearly infinite potential. I'm doubtful that the story can be as good as others of its like (Shezza and nuhuh come to mind) but it's definitely worth the time I put into it. I'd say 4/5 leaning towards a higher rating.
Averis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
Novamute
Third Year

This story is definately worth reading. I count myself among those who think that the magic was introduced a little to quickly. Other than that though, I really like the way that this story is taking shape. I will be keeping an eye on this one 4/5.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:31 AM   #8
Ancalion
First Year

Send a message via AIM to Ancalion Send a message via MSN to Ancalion
3/5 for me.

Good writing, but it got boring quickly. I read three chapters and couldn't bother going on.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
The Paper Blade
Squib

Any mental institution fics that I'd seen before this belong in the "Fanfiction's Worst Summaries" thread, but I thought I'd give this a try. Dare I say it, this is quite original.

Not fond of the OC, though. I'll wait until the plot dives further into the Dresdenverse before I grade it.
The Paper Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:02 AM   #10
Demons In The Night
Chief Warlock

Very good so far. I like Water Mage's style.

I can't wait until Harry meets Dresden (or someone else in DF) and gets more immersed and entangled in the world of DF.

4.5/5
Old 04-26-2008, 09:12 AM   #11
Oz
Migos Enthusiast

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to Oz
Been following this from the start, and it's definitely a good read. Well-written and well characterised. The fairy-hair wand was a bit hogey, but not too bad.

4/5

<chatter> prophet muhammad peace be upon him was sent to destroy the musical instruments
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #12
Philly Homer
High Inquisitor
What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

I really like this story, I have been following this from it's start, and I have been impressed. It has a great original character in Aiden, and it has a lot of potential if I go by Water Mage's sig.

Quote:
Harry stared at the Gatekeeper's departing back and turned to Dresden. "So, what does one wear to war?"

Dresden shrugged with a smile that didnt reach his eyes. "I'm thinking black."

Awaken Sleeper, Chapter 26 (Coming Soon)

I give it a 4/5, taking a point off for the fairy hair wand, and Harry's somewhat lack of intelligence, in a few cases.

Last edited by Philly Homer; 04-26-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Philly Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:52 AM   #13
Nuhuh
Dastardly Shadow Admin

Send a message via MSN to Nuhuh
I really have no idea why the wand thing is a sticking point for so many people.

Beyond being a thrown together alternative, I don't see that as a blunder of writing. I think the idea was that it is something to approximate what Ollivander could have made but not quite it.

Unless I read it wrong, in which case, I agree with the criticisms.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:47 AM   #14
Water Mage
Groundskeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuhuh View Post
I really have no idea why the wand thing is a sticking point for so many people.

Beyond being a thrown together alternative, I don't see that as a blunder of writing. I think the idea was that it is something to approximate what Ollivander could have made but not quite it.

Unless I read it wrong, in which case, I agree with the criticisms.
Your spot on actually. The faerie wand is only a makeshift wand made in a moment of desperation. Basically if Ollivander went all MacGuyver. Compared to some "wands" in canon i.e. the elder wand and Hagrid's umbrella I figured it was plausible.

Water Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:40 AM   #15
Palver
High Inquisitor

Here is some food for thought about wands from DH:

Quote:
“A person can still use a wand that hasn’t chosen them, though?” asked Harry.
“Oh yes, if you are any wizard at all you will be able to channel your magic through almost any instrument. The best results, however, must always come where there is the strongest affinity between wizard and wand. These connections are complex. An initial attraction, and then a mutual quest for experience, the wand learning from the wizard, the wizard from the wand.”

Last edited by Palver; 04-27-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Palver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #16
pontfirebird73
Third Year

Is this posted somewhere else besides Fff dot net? there are only 5 chapters and watermages sig says chapter 26 is coming soon.
pontfirebird73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #17
Taure
Death Eater
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 13,152
I think in this case "Coming Soon" actually means "Coming Eventually".

HPATTGH: 1/35 Complete
Taure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:37 AM   #18
Dark Syaoran
Persona 4
Lovers Arcana

I'm going to be blunt.

It's boring, to me anyway. I just can't get interested in the chapters produced. However, I am interested in the potential of the story. I guess the reason why I feel it's boring is because nothing has happened apart from a whole lot of talking and family bonding, among other normal, mundane things.

It just feels too normal, I guess, even though I understand it's needed at the start. Can't just go in, guns cocked and ready to fire straight away.

Build up is needed. Back-story. Character development.

You're doing it.

But yeah. I just found it boring. I see it going some pretty interesting places, though.

Creepy little-brother was amusing enough. Didn't like Lily and James that much, but I hardly ever do. I like it when they stay off-screen.

Didn't have any issues with the wand, but I did have issues with some of the dialogue. Especially when Harry said that Lord of the Rings-esque line to that Faery.

"He is my kin, my charge. Blah, blah..."

I hope it picks up soon. I guess I'm impatient.
Dark Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:41 AM   #19
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
5/5. This seems to have a very good development so far. I'm looking forward to more.
Darth_Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #20
Magus
Groundskeeper

Hmmm... Seems good, but it will take someone from the Dresden verse actually showing up and having a significant impact on Harry's life for me to shake this odd feeling that its just like another AU fic...

However the idea overall is extremely promising, I've seen something similar in an excellent BTVS/SG1 crossover called "Far Beyond Normal,"
which had a similar theme of the protagonist waking up in the body of a double from another universe who had had a breakdown.

Looking forward to Harry meeting some Dresden characters and showing his general badassness (which he should have a lot of, being an Auror) off to them.

A lot of people think right-wingers aren't capable of being amusing at all. Not true. Mussolini looked hilarious swinging from that lamppost.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author: water mage, dresden files, harry potter, harry/aurora, hp/dresden files