Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > FanFiction Extras > FanFic Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

View Poll Results: Does Voldemort torture his Death Eaters for no real reason?
Yes 0 0%
No 3 50.00%
"CRUCIO!!" for questioning the Dark Lord's methods 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 02:50 AM   #1
Lord Supremo
First Year

Send a message via AIM to Lord Supremo
Voldemort in fanfiction

There may be another thread where this comment belongs, but I had to get this off my chest. I HATE it when idiot fanfic writers write Voldemort like black-phoenix-warrior (That's right, I called you out bitch) does in "The Father"

Quote:
Voldemort laughed. Foolish muggles he thought they don’t realise that I am the beginning of the end and that I am God and my storms will wipe out every mudblood and muggle loving fool there is.
Quote:
“Oh and Lucius. CRUCIO!”
Am I nuts or is that just stupid? Voldemort is most certainly a badass megalomaniac, who will not hesitate to curse an enemy, but somehow I highly doubt that he thinks himself to be God. The idea is that eventually he will become immortal, but after the fight with Dumbledore in OotP, there's no way in hell he thinks he's God.

Also, no one would ever join or stay with the Death Eaters if he's constantly crucio-ing them for no good reason. They are largely a group of proud, aristocratic Slytherins, meaning they're not going to take that lying down. Since he has them stand in a circle around him for their meetings (GoF), it would not be difficult to have the lot of them shoot AKs at the fucker. At least one would make contact, and prophecy or no prophecy, Riddle would be dead.

I think that in the Wizarding World, the prophecies are self-fulfilling. People hear prophecies, they believe them, and their subsequent actions, based on the prophecy, result in that same prophecy coming true. If it were to be put to the test however, the prophecies would not hold up. I think Dan Granger put it best when, in one fic, he asked Dumbledore if he were to shoot Harry in the head, would the bullet just bounce off? The answer, of course, is no.

OK so that was a bit of a sidetrack from my original gripe about an overly narcissistic/punitive Voldemort, so coming back to that, I think such a character is completely unrealistic.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:13 AM   #2
Dark Syaoran
Level 5
Mental Out

Quote:
I think that in the Wizarding World, the prophecies are self-fulfilling. People hear prophecies, they believe them, and their subsequent actions, based on the prophecy, result in that same prophecy coming true. If it were to be put to the test however, the prophecies would not hold up. I think Dan Granger put it best when, in one fic, he asked Dumbledore if he were to shoot Harry in the head, would the bullet just bounce off? The answer, of course, is no.
If you have read Half-Blood Prince, it pretty much tells you that its self fulfilling. Dumbledore explained it to Harry.

If Snape hadnt heard apart of the prophecy and told the Dark Lord, would Harry have been attacked when he young and become the Boy-Who-Lived? No. Therefore, he hasnt been marked as an equal, ect, ect. It's all because Voldemort learnt of the thing that its coming to pass.

He only attacked them because he believed the prophecy to be a recording of his downfall since he didnt know the whole thing. He probably would have attacked the Potter's sometime but it would not of had the came outcome... he probably wouldnt even go himself, he'd send his followers.

Quote:
Also, no one would ever join or stay with the Death Eaters if he's constantly crucio-ing them for no good reason. They are largely a group of proud, aristocratic Slytherins, meaning they're not going to take that lying down. Since he has them stand in a circle around him for their meetings (GoF), it would not be difficult to have the lot of them shoot AKs at the fucker. At least one would make contact, and prophecy or no prophecy, Riddle would be dead.
He wouldnt use the Cruciatus for no reason but he will if he's angry. He used it on Avrey in GoF after his re-birth. He wasnt happy that most of them had abandon him at the first signs of his defeat.

He isnt all psycho like most author's make him out to be though, throwing the torture curse at his followers because he's bored.

As for his Death Eater's firing AK's at him. I've wondered why some of them havent done so before... surely some have objected to some of the shit they do. Anyway, it wouldnt be the smartest thing to do in the long run. All it takes is someone like Wormtail to bring him back using one of the Horcruxes and the Death Eater's that betrayed him would be fucked.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:31 AM   #3
Mrriddler
Death Eater

Location: Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in between...hmm guess I'm not making much sense.
I voted the 3rd choice, because I do think Voldemort believes himself to be always better/smarter/more intelligent than his followers at ALL things, ergo, questioning him=crucio in the ass for follower.

As for Voldemort thinking himself to be a god... maybe the guy's christian rip-off's a bit bad but then if you are someone who believes nothing can/should/will stop you from doing anything, what are you in your own twisted mind if not a god?

The problem you are alluding seems to be most author not thinking dark enough or the likes. Take the same instance of Voldemort 'supposedly' crucio one of his follower seemingly at random irrationally, preferably a big fish like Malfoy. If the author described say that Malfoy done certain certain things for the LV, but got crucioed because LV didn't want anyone of his followers being too powerful/having too high of a standing, then that makes a twisted kind of sense. Most people don't do that so LV seems stupid.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:17 PM   #4
Midknight
Administrator
Middy is SPAI!

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Re: Voldemort in fanfiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Supremo
There may be another thread where this comment belongs, but I had to get this off my chest.
A) HP Fanfic cliche rant thread v3 : http://darklordpotter.net/forums/vie...=877&start=180 The thread is named rant, for a specific reason, it's the only place we want long winded, sense making rants to be at.

B)Even if that thread didn't exist, this would belong in Fanfic discussion.

Google Maps placemark list. If you want to come to a meetup, please place a nearby city on this so we can try to figure out carpooling, or future locations please!!
Travel Fund Donations! 1 time Donate , or monthly, Subscribe

Subscription options
Closed Thread