1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations? Best eMule client or mod...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bornagainpenguin, Feb 13, 2006.

1. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Hi everyone..

[sigh] I generally don't like asking for help on computer related stuff because I usually figure I should be able to figure it out on my own--and generally I do. Its just that I'm not familiar with the whole eMule\eDonkey +mods scene and would like to see if I could get some advice from the members of the board. I'd also like it if someone could give me some hints on avoiding leeching which is more or less the reason I'm trying to find another way to download my P2P stuff besides Shareaza my usual which seems to have gone to #### in the last few weeks.

And before anyone asks I do share--over 14gigs at times and certainly no less than 7gigs of stuff. I also try to vary stuff a little bit but what the hell...that said most of what I tend to pass around is teh pr0n and some nice H-games...a little anime at times if I have anything good and a shit load of Tex Avery classics that I keep downloading.. I honestly tend to avoid the music scene to avoid the RIAA as much as possible. All my anime that I share is AFAIK fansubbed a nd not yet available. That kind of thing.

I dunno if the above is affecting anything or not. I just think its really @#%$ up that I can be sharing files all night and day--see that I've been burning the wires with my uploads in shareaza and seen how the eMule clients and mods seem to manage to constantly upload crap from me but I can't seem to manage getting over 50kbs and even that doesn't seem to last more than maybe five minutes then dies. So I figure if I can't beat 'em why not join 'em?

Any advice?

--bornagainpenguin

PS: Bittorrent is not an option due to the way my internet is setup here. I'm patched into a lan run by a friend and he's not about to change anything for nothing. I'm just lucky he's allowing me to mooch off his connection like he is. That said when I can get bittorrent I've always liked it, I'm not anti-bittorrent, it just doesn't work for my situation.

2. david9

david9 Banned

bcdc++:
    Code:
    http://utrum.dyndns.org:8000/
    some hubs have petabytes of shared files, and you can limit your bandwidth if you need too(but it slows your download if you set it too low)

3. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Personally, I use PeerWeb DC++... My cable provider is hosting a hub that works in local network (no speed limits, everyone must share etc...), so it's great.

The biggest problem with hubs in general is searching. It's impossible to extend search to different HUBs. Also, most hubs have some sort of time limit between searches (up to 10 minutes on some). So, you better make sure your search string is correct before clicking OK, otherwise you're in for a long wait...

Generally, on larger hubs, you can find what you need, but all the slots are usually taken, while the members of smaller hubs have free slots and solid download speed but the choice of stuff is more limited...

Of course, that's if you try searching for indie rock, jazz and dream pop bands and independant movies, like I do... :) For mainstream stuff and common software, there's no much problem in finding what you need.

4. david9

david9 Banned

It's not impossible to search multiple hubs, in dc++ and bcdc++ you just leave all the boxes checked and you're all set.

Most search timelimits are around 90sec or so, not that long of a wait. And to only search people with slots, just click the box that says "only users with free slots." Of course if it's something few people have then you're going to be stuck waiting for it either way.

5. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Just keep in mind in this thread that linking to a client is fine, giving out information such as download places, is not. Multiple warnings have been issued in the past for this.

6. bornagainpenguin

Oh no, not looking for hwo to get content...that I can find on my own or I have no business in P2P to begin with. I guess I'll give DC a shot then since everyone seems to like it. And because I can actually share enough to join the larger\better hubs...

--bornagainpenguin (who thanks everyone for their advice and wonders if the anime movie he's havings o much fun downloading will be on one of the hubs?)

7. Midknight

I'm aware of that, I was preempting any numbnuts that would of jumped in here giving out info. It happens every damned time almost when someone mentions Bittorrent, then my inbox gets flooded by everyone trying to tell me some nutjob is posting links to download stuff. Figured I'd post the warning so I can smack down anyone that ignores it again.

8. bornagainpenguin

Makes sense to me.

Besides its not like its hard to find stuff... the hard part seems to be setting up your cleint properly; stuff's everywhere!

--bornagainpenguin

9. Midknight

Aye that's my attitude about it as well, if you can't find it, you probably aren't going to be able to make good use of it in the first place.

I say the same thing in regards to setting up the clients for BT and dealing with the downloaded files.. thats whats kills me is on various sites... you have dumbasses trying to use winrar to unpack a .iso/.bin/etc file, and you can walk them through it using DaemonTools, or tell them to burn it to cd/dvd, and then 2 posts down another idiot asks the same thing, for the same file, on the same page.

Honestly, if I hear one more idiot asking why Nero won't let them burn a cd out of a single .rar file I'll commit murder. I ask the guy, did you unpack it? Huh? there's like 50 .r** files, did you right click on the rar and choose extract here? Nah, I just downloaded the 13 meg .rar file, didn't see a point for all the extra stuff :shock:

Conversations like that hurt my brain, you should pass several IQ tests to be able to pirate anything, it's the stupid fucks that brought it more-mainstream that have ruined the scenes so much

10. bornagainpenguin

Amen on that! I mean if you're having a problem to the point where you want to post about it on the torrent site have the courtesy to at least glance over the other posts there, one of them might be an explaination! Personally I think it ought be mandatory that a person asking questions like that be told to RTFA the first time and then banned the second. Gah!

--bornagainpenguin (who thinks that at this rate we're better off going back to FTPs)

11. Midknight

oh dear god now, don't mentions ftps, that was utter hell. Scanning and tagging left all sorts of empty folders, and you'd wind up finding some off the wall crap, that wasn't what it was supposed to be.

I've never trusted the hubs in DC, they sucked when I was using them years ago, and at the time I couldn't keep up a ratio to get into alot of thebetter ones, the ones I could get into I got stuff that wasn't what I wanted. Was almost as bad as IRC.

12. david9

david9 Banned

FTPs are good if it's a distro from a good group, I usually get all my TV episodes that way, much faster and more dependable than Usenet.

Same with DC++, there are some great private hubs that have TONS of shit, or you can just check the hublist and connect to the ones with the most users, then you're pretty much guaranteed to find what you're looking for.

13. bornagainpenguin

LOL.. wow you must have had some really bad experiences! I haven't honestly done too much with ftps mostly just Linux and a few operating system related ones and they worked pretty well for the most part. Never had too many issues with something not being what it was purported to be in that situation. Then again, who honestly expects to find a real honest to Bill Gates copy of MS-Dos version 1.000-- not 1.01 or 1.02? For that matter who really needs a copy for anything besides abnormal curiousity? Hell the silly thing has to run on floppies --and you have to fiddle with the floppies when you unimage them to make the floppies believe they're on 400kb media! Rather useless unless the only reason you want a copy is for the L33TN3SS factor, in which case excuse me while I gag myself with a spoon... :puke:

I never got into IRC because it seemed waaaay too social when I was looking for anime and as I was mostly going to internet cafes and paying by the hour (or rarely but for awhile worth it by the day! :D I got tons o stuff those days! :) ) Alkso why didn't you trust the hubs? Too much leeching? I ask because that's what I'm trying to get away from now. Also was the IRC really all that bad, I was thinking about giving it a shot now that I have my own connection...

--bornagainpenguin

14. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

I think DC++ is great if you have the right hub. And don't use hubs with more than 2000 users. They are slow and low bandwidth.

I usually check DC first, if I can't find it there I try torrent.

15. Midknight

IRC wasn't so bad, but virus infested. It's great to find PSX games, and old ROM's, but for movies and stuff the wait took forever, as they would often been massive amounts of folks in the decent rooms, queing up to get a huge file one at a time, and always some dialup idiot would ruin it for everyone by taking a week to d/l something, heh

16. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    Question, what is an eMule client?

17. Midknight

18. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    Ah, okay. I get it now.