1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Honks

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lucullus, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

So I was reading 'A Saving People Thing' and while it was far from great, it sparked in me an interest in a pairing I hadn't ever thought much of.

I remembered reading comments in an older thread on how most Honks fics were rubbish or simply cliched clones with little to no originality whatsoever.

So I'd like to know if there has been any increase in the standards of Honks fics in the recent months, or should I not bother trawling through FFN at all?

Oh, any reccs on quality H/T fics would be appreciated too.

2. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    Look up LordWar or something on FFn, He has a awesome Honks fic. Been complete for about a year and a half now Iirc. As much as I hate how they accept Ginny, Pureblood99 has a decent Slytherin!Harry Honks fic. Ficwad seems to have more Decent Honks then FFn so might wanna look there.

3. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Lorddwar's "Harry Potter and the Summer of Change" is the fic Knoxy is referring to. It is a good fic, but even though it is complete, it feels incomplete. The last chapter left WAY too many things hanging to make it a standalone, but the author hasn't made any hints as to a sequel.

Iirc, there seemed to be another one or two (incomplete...-.-) fics on FF.Net that were good, but other than that I suggest FFA or Ficwad (as much as I HATE their site, bloody complicated to use). Maybe a search for "honks"+"harry potter fan fiction" on Google might turn up something...>.>

4. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

Mind giving me the title for the second fic you recommended, knox? A search for Pureblood99 on FFN or Ficwad turned up nothing.

5. The Sour Kraut

The Sour Kraut Seventh Year

Congratulations of getting addicted by Harry/Tonks stories.

"A summer of Change" by Lord Dwar. It's also on FFA.
    It' a decent fic, but I always had a problem with Harry's temper because it comes of as childish. Nevertheless a good read.

Then there is the R-Series by Regulus, of course. It's pretty good until the beginning of book five. Can be a bit fluffy and cheesy, but I have to admit that there are times when I like that.

You can also give Scion Of Gryffindor by Crys a go (On FFA as well). Read it ages ago and only remember that there were many clichès and that there were parts when I read it only because of the pairing.

But at least it is better than a saving people thing, which is shit by the way.

Flying Without A Broom by Ruskbyte is pretty nice IIRC, but sadly it will never be finished.

I also remember a story that was called Honks. I also remember that it was very bad.

That's all I can think of from the top of my head.
    They're a few, but quality in Honks stories is still lacking big time.

If you find something worthwhile, give us a link, will you?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Scion of Gryffindor was the first and probably the only honks i'll ever read.

While I like Honks, there just aren't enough good ones out there to make it worthwhile. Same with H/F apart from WoT.

Oh, I read the R-series, which is still updating, but haven't really gone anywhere near it lately.

7. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Oh, Jesus Christ, I remember that one. Made me want to gouge my eyes out.

8. LuckyFelix

LuckyFelix Seventh Year

Some good HONKS is always great, too bad that these days they all seem to be almost exact clones of each other. I had some hope for 'Harry Potter and the Blackhearted Auror', I think that was the name, but after a good update rate initially it's all gone quiet. :( Sad.

I recently had an idea, posted here, for a fic where Tonks is assigned to morph into a girl Harry's age and attend Hogwarts as added protection during fourth year. It's something I've never seen done with Honks before and could be good, if done right. I however really don't have the time.

And btw, what is FFA?

9. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

I wouldn't be one to recommend reading this guys fics but its 'Pureb99' not 'Pureblood99'

His FF.NAzi Account

10. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

Pureb99? Oh lawd, I'm not going anywhere near his fics with a twenty-foot pole.

While I've never seen it used in a Honks fic (exceot for a Multi-pairing one), that idea is really far from original.

11. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Regarding "Dark Lord Potter" (that's the title of the fic in question), I actually don't mind it that much. In the beginning, the spelling is really bad, but he got a beta later on, and the first chapters are being edited, or so he says.

The plot starts off meh-ish as well, but I like it later on -- the atmosphere is constantly tense, it kept me on edge of my seat. Even though it is a re-Canon story, he made many changes that make sense, in regards to that Harry is a Slytherin, and the dynamics between Dumbledore, Harry, Tonks and her mother keep it interesting. Of course, it has that cliché Ron-hates-Harry-because-he's-an-evil-Slytherin thing, but if can look past that ... of all pureb99's stories, I'd say this is the best one.

Now, new(er) stories featuring Honks:

One of the better versions of "Tonks is Harry's guard and shit happens due to this": Harry Potter and The Awakening Powers

Completely AU, but not uninteresting: A Shadowed Soul

Here, Harry has become an assassin, and we see him killing Death Eaters. Dumbledore doesn't know who he is, but isn't thrilled regardless, because it's kill!!1! OMG. Downsides may include cliché England-is-ass-backwards/bigoted/narrow-minded compared with the US/rest of the world.

What we have at DLP already: Harry Potter and the Black-Hearted Auror and Harry Potter and the Key to Summer

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  12. The Sour Kraut

The Sour Kraut Seventh Year

www.fanficauthors.net

Some stories I've never seen in Sesc's post, so I'm actually having hope of at least one nice read tonight.

13. fanficlover

fanficlover Fourth Year

I'd really like it if someone took up a semi DH compliant version of Honks.

I have an extremely basic outline.

Lupin dies, but Tonks does not. The reasons could be a couple- Lupin stunned her in order to stop her from coming, or her mother did that. Even if she did come, she didn't get killed by Bellatrix.

Harry sees that he needs to die, and gets cold feet and decides to run away ( mentally confused Harry! for the time being). Either Tonks decides to follow him, or he pays a visit a couple of years later to the Tonks household to see Teddy.

A few years down the line, we could see a mature Harry take on the wizarding world.

14. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

Harry Potter And The Summer Of Change - is the only good it gets sappy if you read it before but still good to read.

The Chimera: More Snake than Lion - Harry/Tonks/Cho hasn't been updated in like a year but it's still good 87k words.

Harrys Relief - I read it back when I first got into Harry/Tonks(After summer of change) I liked it back then.

Harry Potter and the Rise of Darkness - This 1 sucked major but you might like it.

1 of the newer stories - A Saving People Thing - Updated regularly. I didn't like the first few chapters but then it gets way better after the first 3-4 imo

15. Admonkeystrator

Admonkeystrator Seventh Year

16. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  17. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Another that I didn't see mentioned is respitechristopher's Summer of '96. It's not the kind of fic that would appeal to most DLP types, but some may find it worthwhile. It's competent writing, if a tad sappy in places. I like respitechristopher's stuff for a change of pace from what I normally read. (He's a surprisingly decent guy too, for a USC alum anyway).

Joe's Wastelands is another that has Harry/Tonks moments; it's worth a mention just for completeness. (I'm sure everyone here has read it).

Lorddwar's fic ruined the ship in a manner similar to, but not quite as bad as, how nonjon wrecked the concept of a HP/Firefly crossover. (Most authors don' t have a prayer of matching the original, so why bother trying?). So many Harry/Tonks stories that followed try to match the "coolness" aspects of SOC and fall far short, instead marring his ideas with twenty-odd teenage lemony whack-off pretenders.

I couldn't get through Crys's piece since several aspects struck me as tedious. I quit the R series around the start of the 5th story; it seemed like the whole story revolved around whether Harry could get a good night's sleep. It had its moments (the Parseltongue dinner party had me laughing out loud), but for the most part, it just got tired.

18. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Someones link some Honks smut for die lulz.

I've never read a good one.

19. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HSHPFF/files/

It's under the NC-17 part, called Counting the Days. It's by Heather Sinclair and better then all the other Honks smut I've read. You do have to join the Yahoo group however, otherwise I probably would have recommended it for the library.

20. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

A Shadowed Soul's acronym is very fitting. It sucks ass.

That about sums it up. You can tell it's only common sense keeping the author from making it a slash fest, with the vampire homoerotically and greedily draining Harry of his fluids in the torture/interrogation scene.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4024966/1/Harry_Potter_Internal_Magic_v2

This one looks well-received, but the author went the route of the ultimate review whore, stripping everything written down and posting tiny bits every few months.

Anyone have what was written before it was taken down?