1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Empire: Total War

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Jangel, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Jangel

Jangel Earl of Someshit

Anyone have it? I'm at ~85% download via Steam atm, and reviews show it as being excellent.

2. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

I've played a little bit of it, and I really do not like that they've done their best to make it seem like I'm Civ 4. That just bugs the hell out of me right now.

3. Nocdia

Nocdia Sixth Year

I played the Demo, impressive naval combat, but it did not really give me much to rate the game on(Tutorials and 2 battles no campaign). Well if its anything like the previous total war games it is pretty much a sure buy.

4. Evran

Evran Dark Lord Grimwulf DLP Supporter

Seems good to me, but my PC sucks, I can JUST run medieval II total war with all settings turned all the way down. :(

5. Feoffic

After playing with it a bit more, I can honestly say I am very disappointed with this release solely due to how inept the enemy AI is. Many cool things were added, but the stupid AI ruins the game.

6. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

That's always been the faltering point of the TW series, hasn't it? I mean, the AI in Medieval 2 seiges just stood there if you sallied forth and they didn't have a means of destroying your walls. There are quite a few other examples, too.

Difficulty up high? Even with the aforementioned issue, the AI can still be very challenging (for me, at least) on very hard/very hard.

7. Feoffic

While the AI can be challenging on hard and very hard difficulties, it is not because it becomes smarter but because its given power boosts so that it can take more of a beating.

ETW's AI is like a retard with 'tard strength; the higher the difficulty, the stronger he is but his intelligence remains the same.

8. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Ive noticed this. You would have though that instead of overpowering the AI, they should increase the AI intelligence. Afterall it is a game of strategy. You should be rewarded for good strategy and outsmarting the AI on higher difficulties rather than being punished by overpowered units.

9. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

Apparently you have no goddamn clue how hard it is to make even a functioning AI in games, let alone one that's "as smart as the player."

10. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Before long, there'll be mods that seriously ramp up the AI's intelligence. That's the way it's worked since the first Medieval. Pity the DarthMod guy's retired, though.

11. Jangel

Jangel Earl of Someshit

I'd say the eventual inclusion of multiplayer campaigning makes up for the poor AI.

12. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

I have a clue. And yet... on a game that has gone through numerous iterations like the Total War series has, giving them years to build up on the capabilities of the core AI engine, having an obviously weak AI in not very justifiable.

13. Feoffic

I think this might make you happy.

14. Nocdia

Nocdia Sixth Year