PDA

View Full Version : Wish List [With TC Spoilers]

Water Mage
04-13-2009, 06:53 PM
There's so much I want to happen for this series. I know Butcher will give as good as he's always given, but I would still like to see certain elements happen and freaking happen soon. Next year can't come quick enough. I figured in this thread everyone could maybe post what they would like to happen, or just speculate on what's coming/happened.

-I want the Senior Council to see Dresden wield soulfire
-The return of Chauncey
-The gate(s) that need keeping
-MORE Senior Council action
-Maybe Harry giving out a sword or two... Sonja has to be way tired.
-Way, way, way less of Harry getting his ass kicked for half of every book
-Need more insane(wounded)!Mab
-I miss Harry being in his office. He's still a detective right?
-Ramirez and Elaine hookup. Awkward, yes. Funny, yes.
-Little Ivy post Demonreach
-Magaret's shady ass past needs some explaining like yesterday. Demonreach is in that same category.
-Did the headaches have to really be mentioned for a second like they were life or death and then poof, gone. Bring the Lash.
-I really want Harry to leave Chicago for a book. Do some work Warden/Detective work elsewhere.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what comes to mind now.

Montclair
04-13-2009, 07:34 PM
-Ramirez and Elaine hookup. Awkward, yes. Funny, yes.

Ramirez is a Warden. Elaine staying out of Council radar, I don't think it'll happen. With the new Grey Council, I see the possibility of her hooking up with Harry.

- I want Lara/Harry in the next book, with a possibility of a cat fight or threesome with Susan.
- I want more scenes with Bob.
- A scene with Maeve or more info about Titania.
- Big brother Gruff allied with Harry in a battle against BC.
- Lash/Soulfire action or Lash/Demonreach interaction.
- Harry/Molly and more on Michael.
- Harry learning shape shifting and his possible apprentice with Injune Joe.
- More info on BC and Cowl.
- More info on Outsiders.
- Background info about Mac.
- Murphy leaving SI and taking up a sword or as an independent PI.

That's all for now.

Ragon
04-13-2009, 08:02 PM
- More Bob.
- Harry/Elaine
- More of the Senior Council cutting loose like Injun Joe did in TC
- The return of the Queen Mothers.
- The return of Mac
- More from Ramirez

Taure
04-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Hmm...let's see...

Molly:

Though I'm a Molly fanboy I'm not sure if I want Harry/Molly or not... Proven Guilty would have been the time for it, now it might feel odd. But certainly I want to see more of Molly, both physically and magically <_<

Harry and magic:

I would like to see Harry further refine his control over normal magic. Sure, him getting new powers like Soulfire is cool, but I'd like to see his general proficiency at evocation rise. I mean, his apprentice is better at veils than he is.

Along with this might be a few new spells/refinements of the spells he has at the moment (e.g. make his fire-based spells more efficient, like Luccio's are). I'd also like to see a few more frivolous spells, like the broom animation spell we saw in Storm Front.

I'd also like to see more of the various stuff that Harry has picked up over time. He's in possession of some pretty rare knowledge, such as his knowledge of necromancy. And yet as far as we see, he might as well not know this stuff.

Cowl:

I'd like to see him return.

Toot-Toot:

I find his growth interesting. Just how powerful will he be by the end of the series? He's doubled in size (which presumably means power) over the last few years, IIRC.

Other stuff:

I too would like to see Harry in his office again.

I'd like to see the war with the Red Court start moving towards, if not resolution, a turning point.

I'd like to see the return of Lash. We all know it's coming, in one form or another. She probably knows a good amount about how to wield Soulfire. (Hmm...maybe Soulfire will be the key to bringing her back...)

I'd like to learn more about the non-faerie parts of the Nevernever.

More Merlin/Harry interaction. A very interesting dynamic, especially after TC. Assuming he isn't BC, I can see some kind of reconciliation (political, personal...) occuring between the two.

More about the upper reaches of wizarding power, including the Black side of things.

Ironically, I'm not all that interested (relatively speaking) in the resolution of the major plot arcs. I'm weird like that: I prefer the little details to the major plots.

ParseltonguePhoenix
04-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Demonreach. What's on the Nevernever side of the lighthouse (assuming of course that Nicodemus wasn't bullshitting Harry) ? What's the island's history with Rashid the Gatekeeper? Since the island is the source of the leyline...what's the wellspring of its power? What's the mantle Eb was referring to (again, assuming it's relevant to the island) ?

Molly. Because I want to see how far over the line (the 4th Law) she steps, and how hard the Council tries to come down on her for it. And on Harry, for that matter. And I want to see how much harder Harry's training of her gets.

Ivy. I wonder how she's going to feel about Harry performing the first step of a bonding with the island she was tortured on, and by all appearances, the island powered the circle holding her all on its own. Unless of course a Denarian was skilled enough to tap into the leyline and use the power.

Billy and Georgia. They've gone all in, so to speak. I wonder what sort of consequences that will cause for them, and what sort of changes it might cause in their personalities and everyday lives.

Butters/Andi. That is all.

More Senior Council Action. Injun Joe obviously has a lot to teach Harry, and I'm hoping that isn't cut short. I want to see what Eb can teach Harry about advanced magic, and not just about life (as it seems happened during Dresden's two years in the Ozarks). Shortly, I just want to see how Really Bad Ass the SC members really are in their respective fields of expertise.

Carlos. Not only is he cool as shit, but his entropy/water magic was seriously cool in the Deeps during WN.

Maggie. Dresden's life obviously has begun to parallel his mother's, and I want to see just what that means for him. And learn more about the special circumstances surrounding his birth that give him enormous potential to hold power over the Outsiders.

And of course...Lash. I want to see what Soulfire + photocopy of a Fallen Angel given free will might equal up to. Either way, there are LOADS of things I want to see more of. Here's hoping, eh?

Antivash
04-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Damn it, you fags! NONE OF THIS SHIT IS AS IMPORTANT AS THE MOST IMPORTANT SHIT THAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED IN TC!

Demonreach v. Skinwalker.

Fuck I wanted to see that so badly. DX

Might write it later... or Watermage...you should!

Seratin
04-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Harry/Molly. I want it but it's never going to happen. Both Elaine and Susan are far more likely candidates and Butcher doesn't seem to be encouraging it at all.

Remember when Harry nearly burned Molly's face off because she was being a twerp?I want more of the little sun of death.

Magical teleportation potion from Storm Front. That would be extremely useful from time to time.

More of the younger wardens respecting Harry. "He saw me do soething scary once" was quite epic.

Lash, I see no reason why her return would negate the Soulfire.

Sword wielding Butters. Seems very unlikely but it would be awesome.

Moreof Harry kicking ass in general. After ten years of this crap he's bound to be able to kick ass in a regular fight and not have to wait for Murphy to wade in with the but of her gun.

Oh... plot stuff too I suppose.

Sol
04-13-2009, 10:04 PM
-Black Council:
What they intend with their Denarii.
What they intend period? (Apocalypse?)

-Gard and Monoc and that Thor fellow:
(if that means more visits to Marcone's T&A packed 'gym' then I'll have to find someway to live with it.)

-Where the heck is Oberon?
-Molly (clothing optional)
-Red Court resolution.
-More info on the Jade Court.
-What happened to Dresden being financially strapped?
-Lara (See Molly)
-Black Court resolution

-Dresden:
Wider use of spell repertoire (including Eb's Force choke of win)
More interaction with Bob
Return of Lash
Titania resolution
'Za Lord!
Reactions to Murphy and Michael et all aging.

-Would also like to see more signatories of the accords.
-Lucifer's involvement.
-Moar Uriel

Midknight
04-13-2009, 11:40 PM
I'd also like to see more of the various stuff that Harry has picked up over time. He's in possession of some pretty rare knowledge, such as his knowledge of necromancy. And yet as far as we see, he might as well not know this stuff.

YES. I just got done rereading Grave Peril. He knows Kemmler's secrets... or he did until Lash got wiped out with her uber memory, but hasn't used anything. He should of used it right off the bat to take out Mavra. Not to mention, SHE has the book.

Molly. Because I want to see how far over the line (the 4th Law) she steps, and how hard the Council tries to come down on her for it. And on Harry, for that matter. And I want to see how much harder Harry's training of her gets.

Molly's basically retarded growth wise. Yay she can veil. Now fucking do something with her.

Carlos. Not only is he cool as shit, but his entropy/water magic was seriously cool in the Deeps during WN.

No shit. I'd love to see him get a comic line around, if not his own book. I'd settle for a huge role though.

Maggie. Dresden's life obviously has begun to parallel his mother's, and I want to see just what that means for him. And learn more about the special circumstances surrounding his birth that give him enormous potential to hold power over the Outsiders.

This is way, way overdue.

Demonreach v. Skinwalker

Yeah I was waiting for it =(

What happened to Dresden being financially strapped?

Warden paycheck I assumed.

Innomine
04-13-2009, 11:53 PM
Honestly? The thing I want most is the return of Lash.

The whole denarian concept was the reason I started reading in the first place, after Shezza's work.

Harry wielding the very fires of creation and devastation would be fun as hell too.

Water Mage
04-14-2009, 03:44 AM

Damn you. Don't you tempt me.

Some of these are points I actually forgot about during the span of the series. I even forgot Dresden can make potions till I reread Storm Front!

Wider use of spell repertoire (including Eb's Force choke of win)

I had the same thought. Ebenezar totally went Vader on Lara.

Butters/Andi. That is all.

I can see it. A little comfort sex after some D&D or whatever RPG they play.

Jon
04-14-2009, 03:55 AM
<_<

I ship Dresden/Aurora

Ryuugi Shi
04-14-2009, 04:25 AM
<_<

I ship Dresden/Aurora

I have no idea where this came from, but I wouldn't mind such a pairing, either.

Jon
04-14-2009, 04:34 AM
I have no idea where this came from, but I wouldn't mind such a pairing, either.

I am listening to Summer Knight on Audio book.

And it occured to me how very little the situation would need to be changed for Aurora to get Dresden to rest.

Aurora said, "Please, let me help you. We'll make it a bargain, Mr. Dresden. Desist. Relax your efforts to help Winter. Stay here for a time and let me grant you a measure of peace."

Real tears formed, making my vision blur. I mopped at my face with my hands, struggling to think clearly. If I took the deal, it would probably mean my ass. Backing off from Mab's offer would mean that I didn't get a good outcome for the White Council, which meant that they would buy peace with the Red Court of Vampires for the low, low price of one Harry Dresden, slightly damaged.

"Forget it," I said, my voice weak. "I've got a job to do."

Aurora closed her eyes for a moment and nodded. "At least you are true to your word, Mister Dresden. Your honor is admirable. Even if it is misguided."If only Dresden had explained his motivations. Aurora would have gotten another shot at tempting him. :awesome

Bukay
04-14-2009, 07:15 PM
-I want the Senior Council to see Dresden wield soulfire
-The return of Chauncey
-Maybe Harry giving out a sword or two... Sonja has to be way tired.
-Little Ivy post Demonreach
-Did the headaches have to really be mentioned for a second like they were life or death and then poof, gone. Bring the Lash.

Except for those above, I'd like to see:

-who is going to be the next stalking pain-in-the-ass council assigned warden to keep an eye on Molly.Dresden
-Harry finally refining his evocations
Molly learning evocations, perhaps some lightning based spalls?
-more earth-element-wielding Harry, I mean, the trick with gravity from "it's my birthday too" was epic, albeit bad for buildings
-Harry making his own tower of wizardry at his isle?
-to finally learn what else has Dresden's mother plotted... in the end we know that he was born on such a day that he can hurt outsiders, his godmother seems to be controlled by sth (as we saw a glimpse of her true self before going all crazy)
-more Denarians

oh, and screw the council seeing Harry use soulfire, I want to see Harry using BOTH hellfire and soulfire simultaneously.

Jon
04-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Except for those above, I'd like to see:
oh, and screw the council seeing Harry use soulfire, I want to see Harry using BOTH hellfire and soulfire simultaneously.

Get the fuck out of my DLP. :awesome

Taure
04-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Harry regaining the ability to use Hellfire yet retaining Soulfire would be odd, given that he received Soulfire as a reward for resisting Lash until she went away.

Which raises an interesting question: if Lash returns, will her return means the the gift of Soulfire is taken away, given that the reason for him receiving it is no longer valid? Or will he just not be able to use hellfire any more? Or maybe he will be able to wield both O.o

The fact that he received Soulfire at all seems to imply that heaven (which generally knows more than Harry) thinks Lash is gone for good.

Samuel Black
04-14-2009, 09:32 PM
It could also be a reward from heaven in the sense that Lash redeemed herself. She took a psychic bullet for Harry, risking her 'life' or whatever you'd call it, when she could have sat back in the hope that Dresden would give in.

kmfrank
04-14-2009, 10:34 PM
I've had that same thought, Sam.

If Lash comes back, could it be perhaps not in Harry's head, but as a redeemed angel?

Even though, of course, such things aren't possible according to the canon of the church, since an angel's nature can't change and admitting one back into heaven would break down the fabric of reality as God's word would no longer be infallible (See the movie Dogma).

Samuel Black
04-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Dogma is fucking awesome, loved that movie. Anyways...

Here's how I see it. An angel's nature can't change. True. But, Lash isn't an angel. She's merely a copy of Lasciel. Lash may have the same nature, mannerisms, etc, etc, as Lasciel did, but she is a separate entity from the actual angel.

I think Dresden said it best when he was talking to Lash. Something along the lines of 'You're not Lasciel. I couldn't begin to try to change her. But you were imprinted on my mind, which makes you every bit as able to change as I am.'

Although, the idea of Lash coming back as some sort of redeemed angel is pretty cool. Be interesting to see.

Taure
04-15-2009, 06:56 AM
I don't see how Lash could come back as a redeemed angel because, as you say, Lash isn't Lasciel. Lash isn't an angel. Lash is a piece of Harry's brain.

Philly Homer
04-15-2009, 08:50 PM
I just want to see more Denarians. Whenever, the Denarians have made an appearance, it has made for a terrific book. Besides, who doesn't more Nicodemus? My hope is that the Denarians cause the apocalypse which Butcher has stated will be coming.

I would love it if Harry took up Lasciel's coin, but I know it will never happen.

I don't like the White Court, they don't interest me that unless there is some Harry/Lara in the future, which was hinted in Turn Coat.

I want Harry not to get beat up so much, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Less of Murphy, as in I want her to die, though she was less annoying than usual in Turn Coat.

Some faces to the Black Council. Peabody wasn't a major player, I want someone major to be revealed, and I want the person to cause mass destruction.

Harry on the run from the White Council would be nice to see. I want to see how many resources Harry can come up with, and what he is willing to do when it comes to proving his innocence.

More of the White Council and Senior Council. I immensely enjoyed Harry's visit to White Council HQ, and I want to see more of their inner workings and history.

One of the best part of Turn Coat was the interaction between Harry and the Merlin. I want more of that in the following books.

Last, I want Harry to be more corrupted. He is far too heroic, even though he has become more gray as of late, he is still far too self sacrificing.

Chengar Qordath
04-16-2009, 01:52 AM
I don't see how Lash could come back as a redeemed angel because, as you say, Lash isn't Lasciel. Lash isn't an angel. Lash is a piece of Harry's brain.
True. That does make me consider the following possiblity:

1. Lash was "killed" by Harry suffering brain damage.
2. Wizards can gradually heal just about any injury.
3. Harry's headaches in Turn Coat seemed like a major hint at a future plot point.

So, perhaps once Harry's brain is mostly/fully repaired we have the return of Lash? That would be all kinds of interesting.

As for other wishlist points, I agree with some of the other people that some more variety out of Harry in terms of magic would be nice; his combat magic repetoire should have more options than "set it on fire" and "smash it with a force blast." Things like potions and the "Pocket full of sunshine" also haven't really been used lately.

Ryuugi Shi
04-16-2009, 02:14 AM
True. That does make me consider the following possiblity:

1. Lash was "killed" by Harry suffering brain damage.
2. Wizards can gradually heal just about any injury.
3. Harry's headaches in Turn Coat seemed like a major hint at a future plot point.

So, perhaps once Harry's brain is mostly/fully repaired we have the return of Lash? That would be all kinds of interesting.

As for other wishlist points, I agree with some of the other people that some more variety out of Harry in terms of magic would be nice; his combat magic repetoire should have more options than "set it on fire" and "smash it with a force blast." Things like potions and the "Pocket full of sunshine" also haven't really been used lately.

I'm, like, 90 percent sure the brain doesn't work like that. Even if brain damage heals.

Chengar Qordath
04-16-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm, like, 90 percent sure the brain doesn't work like that. Even if brain damage heals.
In normal circumstances I'm pretty sure you're right, but we are dealing with magic and semi-divine beings here.

kmfrank
04-16-2009, 10:12 AM

According to the new X-Men: Origins - Wolverine, you are correct, sir.

Anlun
04-18-2009, 12:48 AM
Things I would like to see:

-More Ramirez
-Harry learning some magic. When we started the series he seemed really academic, and when Molly came around he mentions how he learns more by having an apprentice. Where the fuck did the learning go? All we see is the same shit, fire and kinetic energy.
-Chauncy or some other demon.
-WTF was so special about that damn dagger Leaninsidhe had
-More supporting character interactions. Butcher originally created a very rich world, intermixed with a wide array of characters, but lately he has really limited himself to the White/Red Court, the White Council, and the Denarians. What happened to the Black Court, Loup-Garous, Fellowship of St.Giles, Demons, Dragons, Drakes, Valkyries (Ms.Gard), Outsiders, and all the other countless people who we have never heard from again. I would like to see some broader third party involvement in future books.

- Most people will disagree but I'm getting a little weary of every female character being either ridiculously hot, slutty, or scantily clad. I love it when it happens occasionally but it's come up so often that it's become to dull.

-Harry not getting his ass kicked for once. It's starting to get to cliche to have him get his ass handed to him in every book before he does something worthwhile.

Innomine
04-18-2009, 06:40 AM
Hmm, just going over the other major points most people made.

I don't care if Harry gets his ass kicked, meh, its gonna happen, not a question of if, at this stage.

I'm with Anlun on every female character being far too hot. Lara pisses me off, though most will disagree with me there.

Harry learning more magic, definitely. Though seeing him start to use Soulfire was definitely a nice touch.

WTB LASH OMG. Had to be said.

I'd definitely like to see Harry doing bad things in the name of good. Seeing him finally make the realization that you can't win by just being good all the time. He is definitely part of the way there, think Dead Beat, but yeah. Just more of it.

Anlun
04-18-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm with Anlun on every female character being far too hot. Lara pisses me off, though most will disagree with me there.

It's not so much being hot, they can be hot, but in every book every time there's a hot chick, she's either barely dressed, in some situation where she''d be undressed, or it's a cold day and she's wearing a white tee and no bra. I don't know what city Butcher imagines Chicago to be but when I visited, hot chicks were in the minority. The vast amount were fat, and heavily bundled because of the cold.

It's not so much being hot, they can be hot, but in every book every time there's a hot chick, she's either barely dressed, in some situation where she''d be undressed, or it's a cold day and she's wearing a white tee and no bra. I don't know what city Butcher imagines Chicago to be, but when I visited hot chicks were in the minority. The vast amount were fat, and heavily bundled because of the cold. I would just like some semblance of realism in this instance. It would make it much more poignant when incredibly hot people like Lara show up.

Montclair
04-18-2009, 04:58 PM
This was posted in Jim's Forum. It's the list of Q&A from the Signings.

From Chicago signing:

Will we find out more about Mac?
Yes, but probably not until the final trilogy.

Will we see Ferro again?
Yes. Here is where Jim commented that he is a lazy writer, so if something gets a reasonable amount of screen time in the books, chances are it will show up again later. He wouldn’t put that much effort into something that’s not so important.

How can Harry continually go to Burger King without blowing the equipment?
Unless there’s constant exposure, technology usually fouls up if magic is being actively used or a wizard’s emotions are running high. He generally remains calm when going to BK.

Why Chicago?
Originally, TDF was set in Jim’s hometown of Kansas City. His teacher at the time told him he shouldn’t use KC because he was already treading close to LKH’s territory, and he should pick somewhere else. He looked at a globe in the room, and there were 4 US cities showing. Washington DC – nope, don’t want to write about politics. New York – covered by the Fantastic Four. Los Angeles – covered by Hollywood. Chicago it is!

Will we see Lash or Lasciel again?
Lasciel’s story is not over. And keep in mind what’s said about ‘a woman scorned.’ Also keep in mind that Lasciel is NOT Lash; Lasciel did not reabsorb the entity that Harry actually changed. (Yes, he use those words “that Harry actually changed.”).

How/when did Harry find out Lea is his godmother? Is Lea Thomas’s godmother, too?
Lea was around when Harry was in middle school, although he didn’t know who she was. She was just a lady who sometimes did nice things for him. He found out who she is after he became Justin’s apprentice. Lea is not Thomas’s godmother.

The titles for the trilogy are: Hell’s Bells, Stars and Stones, and Empty Night.

Why did you shoot Michael?
Read The Warrior. Getting shot is Michael's happy ending.

From Lexington signing:

What book would make the best movie?
Zombie T-rex (did you need to ask?)

Will we get any more stories from other points of view?
There will be one from Marcone (in Dark and Stormy Night) and one from Murphy (entitled Hawaii).

Why does Butters always say “I’m not a doctor” – he actually is!
It’s about the way Butters defines a doctor, as someone who works on live people; it has nothing to do with Butters’ education or qualifications.

What are the upper levels of magic?
There are none, if the person has enough juice. If someone was strong enough, they could completely rewrite reality.

What’s the title to the next book?
Changes. Yes, it’s a one word title. He’s changing his pattern because… well, there just might be some changes coming up.

Where did the martial arts info and fight scene info come from?
Some from Jim’s own experiences in martial arts, some from others’ experience, some from watching movies. Jim also relayed that he started martial arts because he was always getting picked on by bullies, for being short and smart, and not knowing when to keep his mouth shut. He also talked about a time when he was about 13 that a bully actually came at him with a knife… and Jim beat him up with a bicycle.

Is Mister a familiar or anything magical?
No, he’s just a freakin’ big cat.

Was the job offer to Murphy a one-time offer?
[sing-sing voice] I’m not gonna tell you! [/sing-song voice]

Are the Carpenters based on someone specific?
No. In this genre, religious characters are almost always hypocritical or judgmental. Wanted a good role model. And of course that role model needed a family to be in danger to make things interesting. The size of the family is based on his sister’s (?) family (6 kids).

Will we ever find out what people see when they Soulgaze Harry?
Kind of. In Changes, someone who has ‘Gazed Harry will tell him about the experience.

Will we ever find out more about the Black Cats, or about Eb’s early years?
He’s considered writing a story in the Dresdenverse about the American-Indian war, when Eb and the Merlin were both young punks.

Is there an actor or character reference for Binder?
Actor from Unleashed. He said Ed Asner, but we think he meant Bob Hoskins.

Will Molly be the one who fixes Carlos’s ‘problem?’
Maybe, if they both live long enough. Plus, she ‘technically’ has the same ‘problem’ so it could be interesting.

Does Thomas have a godmother?
No. Maggie figured he was a baby shark, and would be able to protect himself.

When will Jim get back the film rights?
3 years from the Lexington signing. (April 14, 2012). But the rights were only for the content to the first 5 books. Theoretically, if someone did ask him to do a zombie T-rex movie, he probably could.

Does he like writing the short stories?
Yes. He doesn’t want to clutter up the books with stuff that isn’t central to the plot, wants to keep the novels on track (“I don’t need to describe every detail of Frodo crossing the shire.”). He doesn’t want to dump extraneous information on the reader. But some things are too good for just a ‘drive-by’ mention in the novels.

Will there be any more new material for the graphic novels?
Eventually, yes. There will probably be a short story based on a comment Harry makes in Fool Moon about going on a call because someone ‘saw something in a lake.’

Hat on the covers?
“That damn hat!” It’s just on the covers. They tried to put Harry in a hat in the graphic novels, and Jim screamed.

How does Harry know so much about movies and TV?
He goes to the drive-in. Also, there’s a TV store near Wicker Park, and he sits on a bench across the street from it and watches shows with closed captioning. Yes, Harry is often like a sad Dickens character, standing outside the window looking in. (Jim makes sad big puppy dog eyes)

How big will Toot get?
Depends on how much influence he has in the world. That’s how the sidhe gain their size and power. Mab wasn’t always as big as she is now.

What protections are there against the White Court? [Editorial note, my friend’s daughter and I put her up to this question, but she hasn’t even finished Blood Rites yet, so she left out half the question, not knowing how important it was]
True love – real true love, not just romantic love – protects only against WC vamps feeding through lust/intimacy. (He didn’t name the protections against the other WC vamps, though. A thought – we should have realized love doesn’t protect against the other forms of feeding, since Harry is taken by Vitto’s attack just before Lara gets burned trying to feed on him)

When will we learn more about Maggie?
It will be little bits at a time, like we’re learning now. But eventually we will find out that what we’ve been told so far is only accurate from a certain point of view. It will all have a different meaning once we’ve learned the whole story.

What was Malcolm’s reference to the Jabberwock about?
You could argue that it was a forewarning about Lasciel. You could also argue that it was about He Who Walks Behind. Or it could be some other huge predator coming after Harry. Or you could get Jungian about it, but then you’d have to get Freudian about it, and that just gets messy.

What is Kincaid?
We’ll find out in the future.

Are there any characters that started out as minor characters but grew into something different?
Butters was originally a one-scene character, but he’s fun to write. Same with Vince Garver. Jim found out they could both be really useful.

Will the problem with wizards and technology be resolved, since most kids growing up now are so surrounded by technology?
Nope, it will always be an issue.

What is the Gatekeeper guarding? What’s behind the gates?
[sing-song voice] I’m not gonna tell you! [/sing-song voice] Seriously, he can’t tell because it would break the Laws of Magic just to talk about it.

Will Harry ever get a Warden’s sword?
He can’t, because Luccio can’t make them anymore.

Will Thomas get one of the Swords of the Cross?
[sing-song voice] I’m not gonna tell you! [/sing-song voice] (Jim's enjoying this way too much! )

Why don’t we see Harry making potions any more?
The potions were more like a security blanket for Harry. He wanted to be doing something, but he didn’t really know what he should be doing. So he was making potions in case they might be useful. Now he actually has a clue about what he should be doing most of the time. But Harry is teaching Molly about potions. That’s how she keeps changing her hair color – that was the first potion she learned to make.

Will you ever show Butters’ polka suit again?
I kind of have to, because how can I not show something that awesome again?

Jim’s favorite recurring villain?
Marcone, when he’s being a villain. And Nicodemus, because he is pure evil.

Why did the Denarians in Small Favor seem less powerful than in Death Masks?
If a Fallen has essentially overpowered their human host, then they have limited free will (they can’t use the free will of the human); a Denarian is much more powerful if they use the human as a partner.

Difference between the Fallen and other creatures from Hell?
Fallen are like corporate – they’ve got the backing of an organization.

When will we learn more about the Black Council?
There will be a little more in the next book, but really we’re not going to know it all until the very end.

Jim’s favorite supporting character?
Marcone is really fun to write. So is Nicodemus.

Will Chauncy return and use Harry’s Name?
Chauncy probably won’t come back. He’s small potatoes in Hell – kind of like a file clerk. But information flows up, so what he learned from Harry is very useful.

Are Molly's actions of peeking into Harry's head in SmF (TC spoiler) and into Luccio in TC violations of the 3rd Law? What about Harry and Elaine's communication spell in WN, or (TC spoiler) Merlin's actions at Morgan's trial?

Molly's actions are a violation of the 3rd Law. She is entering someone's head without their consent. Harry and Elaine's communication is consensual sharing of thoughts. (He didn't really answer the last part of the question)

Will Demonreach turn out to be good or evil?

Depends on your definition of those terms. But Harry will regret every having set foot on that island. Of course, Harry regrets just about anything he’s ever done.

Sword on the cover of Turn Coat.

Same thing as the hat. Although maybe he was going to write a scene where Harry had Morgan’s sword. Sometimes he has a scene in mind at one point and then it just makes sense to write it differently.

Thoughts?.

Blackvoice
04-18-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm excited about finally knowing about Harry's soulgaze. I'm also trying to imagine an hyper mini-Mab and failling.

Edit: Hey, I'm not a squib anymore? ):

Taure
04-18-2009, 05:51 PM
What are the upper levels of magic?
There are none, if the person has enough juice. If someone was strong enough, they could completely rewrite reality.

This made me think of the White God.

Will we find out more about Mac?
Yes, but probably not until the final trilogy.

Seems to me that means he's fairly important.

How big will Toot get?
Depends on how much influence he has in the world. That’s how the sidhe gain their size and power. Mab wasn’t always as big as she is now.

Awesome. I want to see Faerie King Toot Toot. Also, someone needs to write a one shot of a young Mab, the size and status of Toot Toot.

What is Kincaid?
We’ll find out in the future.

Half demon, surely?

What is the Gatekeeper guarding? What’s behind the gates?
[sing-song voice] I’m not gonna tell you! [/sing-song voice] Seriously, he can’t tell because it would break the Laws of Magic just to talk about it.

I thought they led to the Outside.

Looking forward to seeing Ferrovax again. Glad it seems that Nicodemus isn't dead.

Anlun
04-18-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm a bit pissed about the Chauncy thing, it was such a good concept, but hopefully we'll get to see higher level demons soon.

The thing with Kinkaid is we don't know what kind of demon he has in him or how much demon is actually in him. He also might not be a scion it was sort of implied but left in the air.

I've been debating reading "The Warrior" but I've just been too lazy to find a copy. Can anyone give me a synopsis of it?

Kalas
04-18-2009, 07:51 PM
There's always Vash's site Anlun, but I'll summarize what I can remember.

The plot focuses on Harry's possession of the two Swords and the KotC's support group that Forthill's a part of.

Micheal's alright. He's been through months of recovery and therapy (lost the vision in one eye) but he can move with the help of his cane. Heavenly protection has also been granted to him and his family against supernatural threats.

The 'villain' of the story is an ex-Army priest who's also a member of the KotC support group. He wants to fight against the evil in the world and believes that Dresden is either a tool or the mastermind of a plot to take the Swords from the churches hands. He tries to kill Dresden to claim the Swords.

Needless to say Dresden survives. The guy then kidnaps Alicia, Micheal's daughter, and ransoms her for the two Swords. They make the trade and Dresden gives chase to reclaim the Swords. Final confrontation was between the priest and Micheal. The Priest wielding Amoracchius was epically destroyed in a duel by Micheal using a baseball bat. Dresden then had to stop Micheal from killing the dude 'for hurting his daughter'.

Dresden, after the confrontation, has a sort of crisis of faith, wondering what good he's really doing etc. Uriel then shows up, tells him he's doing good and how little comments he made through the day or two of the book brightened the lives of several one-shot characters.

Feel free to add anything I missed guys.

Aekiel
04-18-2009, 09:56 PM
He tries to bill God! Seriously. It's one of the funniest lines in the book.

The whole Mean Streets Anthology is awesome.

CheddarTrek
04-22-2009, 04:16 AM
Will Demonreach turn out to be good or evil?

Depends on your definition of those terms. But Harry will regret ever having set foot on that island. Of course, Harry regrets just about anything he’s ever done.
Interesting, and not really what I expected there. I figured Demonreach was some bad mojo that Dresden would end up turning into some great advantage no one expected. In a way, that's what he did with Lash. Also so far it hasn't seemed to be all that malevolent. I mean, sure, it's damned protective and tries to scare off and/or kill people that trespass on it, but ... well, in its mind they should gtfo anyway. Or so I read things. I think the whole concept of DemonReach kicks ass though, whether it turns out to be a bad thing or not.

Eesh, only one book a year? And we don't have a huge fanfiction base like HP does to keep us busy in the meantime. Pity, that.

Water Mage
04-22-2009, 05:03 AM
How big will Toot get?

Depends on how much influence he has in the world. That’s how the sidhe gain their size and power. Mab wasn’t always as big as she is now

I gotta admit I never considered a mini Mab growing in power like Toot. It's kinda shard to imagine her as anything other than the super powerful winter queen. Which makes me really anxious to find out how she got injured in the first place, and who managed to do it.

LittleChicago
10-03-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm probably going to get beaten up for this, but I'd like to see Murphy leave the police force and become Harry's partner. She lost SI, and the most interesting things that happen to her involve Harry... not to mention she's all about trying to make a difference and seems to do that best when working with Harry. Besides, according to Blood Rites, she's something of a 'Ragged Angel'...

As a side note, why the hate-on for Murphy? The only reason I've seen clearly stated here is the same reason everyone seems to like Michael and Harry - she sticks to her guns and won't violate her principles.

lucis
10-03-2009, 02:37 PM
The problem with Murphy is the whole Kincaid thing. And, more recently, turning down the Sword...

In the early series, she was one of my favourite characters. Now... well I don't dislike her, but I don't like her nearly as much.

No clue if I'm representative of the other, though.

Oz
10-03-2009, 02:40 PM
The impression I got (from nuhuh's oneshot Murphy killoff) was that most people hate her "penis-envy". But meh. I happen to think she's a good character who tends to ground Harry a bit.

As to the thread... I can't wait for more Ferrovax.

Ragon
10-03-2009, 04:25 PM
More Gatekeeper and the island

Vesvius
10-03-2009, 08:16 PM
I want more Lara/Harry interaction. Not just the two of them jumping into bed, but a more solid alliance being formed.

Well, them jumping into bed would be nice too.

Scott
10-04-2009, 04:14 AM
-Harry/Molly
-Harry not getting his ass kicked that much through the whole story
-Maggie bashing. Why? I just hate Harry's and I just can't stand to read about her.
-Lash. Need I say more?

-Ramirez and Elaine hookup. Awkward, yes. Funny, yes.Weird pairing bro. I couldn't ship it xD

Hashasheen
10-04-2009, 11:07 AM
I lol'd at Butcher attacking a bully with a bicycle.:awesome

LittleChicago
10-05-2009, 05:57 PM
I'd like to see Harry leave Chicago more... Nothing against the Windy City, but I'd like to hear about his trips out of town that always get alluded to but are never shown. Just because there's lots of supernatural occurances in Chicago, doesn't mean there isn't in Detroit, or Cleveland, or Miami or anywhere else.

CheddarTrek
10-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Aye, I wouldn't mind seeing him leave Chicago every so often. Could add in the potential for some humor/drama when he can't find things or doesn't known local customs/dialects, etc. Plus types of magic he might not be as familiar with, such as the Skinwalker that followed Morgan because of an area of the country he passed through, etc.

I don't want to see more of Lara or Susan. I'm on the fence about whether or not I want to see more of Lash. I do want to see more of Murphy and Bob. I want to see more of Demonreach, Langry, McCoy, and the Gatekeeper. I want to see Toot continue to evolve.

As the OP said, I want to see Harry utlize Soulfire where the Senior Council can see it. Michael too.

Mostly I just want to read the next book, because I trust Butcher to deliver a damned good story.

I really should go read all the short stories. I think I have only read half or two-thirds of them. The next one is apparently going to feature Marcone.

Epic_geek_fail
10-13-2009, 07:13 PM

Agreed. It does add tension, but 50-150 pages in, I would like to see him get a good amount of sleep so he can give an epic battle his all.

Aekiel
10-14-2009, 09:36 AM
I think he got some sleep before a big battle in Grave Peril. He also got laid in that book, as well as got his leather duster, iirc. But yeah, since then he's pretty much always finished the final battle exhausted, tired and generally just running on caffeine and desperation.

Ragon
10-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Part of that is everything happening so fast. The books usually cover the space of a couple days if that. When does he have time to sleep?

Oz
10-14-2009, 03:29 PM
He got the leather duster, sleep, and secksy-tiem in Fool Moon before going off to Marcone's to destroy the Loup Garou and Hexenwulfen, Aekie. You should know this. x:

Aekiel
10-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Damn it! sleep deprivation strikes again! I knew it was an early book, and what was I thinking Grave Peril for? Susan isn't even around for half the bloody book because she was an idiot and wanted to go talk to vampires >_>.

LittleChicago
10-14-2009, 05:34 PM
It would appear SOMEONE needs to get more sleep...

I was just thinking I'd like to see Harry actually spend time in his office and take on clients again. The great hook of the very first book (that would be Storm Front, Aekiel) was that he was an investigator first, a magic-user second. I don't think Harry can quite live off his Warden salary.

Oz
10-14-2009, 05:35 PM
"Life is a river. Time is a journey. The door is a jar."

Off topic, but ^ is one of the funniest moments in the entire series.

Aekiel
10-14-2009, 06:45 PM
It would appear SOMEONE needs to get more sleep...

I was just thinking I'd like to see Harry actually spend time in his office and take on clients again. The great hook of the very first book (that would be Storm Front, Aekiel) was that he was an investigator first, a magic-user second. I don't think Harry can quite live off his Warden salary.

Ha de fucking ha >_>. It was just a momentary lapse in memory, I won't make a mistake like that again.

Secondly, Harry could live off his warden salary, though he wouldn't have cash to spare in order to update Little Chicago or repair it when it melts (again). As I recall he relied pretty heavily on his PI work while he was building it but still had enough left over to not be constantly gasping for cash.

Demons In The Night
10-21-2009, 04:39 PM
harry/molly sex scene.
Harry becoming more powerful/learning more magic/more control over his magic.
ferrovax
soulfire
lash
demonreach
black council
etc

CheddarTrek
10-22-2009, 12:59 PM
harry/molly sex scene.

I just went through clicking on threads to open in new windows and missed that this was a Dresden thread, not a Potter one, and so I spent several moments thinking you were bloody insane wanting to see that.

Demons In The Night
10-22-2009, 03:13 PM
I just went through clicking on threads to open in new windows and missed that this was a Dresden thread, not a Potter one, and so I spent several moments thinking you were bloody insane wanting to see that.

lol. I think there are a few HP/MW smut stories out there...not that I've read them or anything. :awesome

CheddarTrek
10-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Damn it, you fags! NONE OF THIS SHIT IS AS IMPORTANT AS THE MOST IMPORTANT SHIT THAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED IN TC!

So this morning I got up and turned on the TV and lo and behold what do I see and hear within the first 5 seconds? Chuck Norris bitching about a Skinwalker whose ass he is about to go kick.

That's right folks, it's Walker, Texas Ranger v. Skinwalker! Now I haven't watched Walker since I was a kid, though I'll admit in my preteen years that I did enjoy the show, but I haven't given it the time of day since. I just had to stop and watch some of this however.

The entire time I was just thinking about how obviously that's not really a skinwalker, it's one of the fake ones like in the Dresden Files TV show, it's not a true one like the one Harry Dresden was fighting, and blah blah. I was oddly pissed off and amused at the same time. Especially when Walker beat it with, I don't know, the power of love or something. *cough* The indian guy kept repeating over and over that Walker couldn't defeat it with the power of his legs/feet/etc., but by that time I had mostly quit watching.

So yeah, screw Demonreach v. Skinwalker. Let's have Chuck Norris insert himself into the Dresden Files and just take care of things for us, what do you say? *insert irritating Chuck Norris jokes here*

This has been a very sarcastic message, thank you.

Ragon
10-29-2009, 05:49 PM
So this morning I got up and turned on the TV and lo and behold what do I see and hear within the first 5 seconds? Chuck Norris bitching about a Skinwalker whose ass he is about to go kick.

That's right folks, it's Walker, Texas Ranger v. Skinwalker! Now I haven't watched Walker since I was a kid, though I'll admit in my preteen years that I did enjoy the show, but I haven't given it the time of day since. I just had to stop and watch some of this however.

The entire time I was just thinking about how obviously that's not really a skinwalker, it's one of the fake ones like in the Dresden Files TV show, it's not a true one like the one Harry Dresden was fighting, and blah blah. I was oddly pissed off and amused at the same time. Especially when Walker beat it with, I don't know, the power of love or something. *cough* The indian guy kept repeating over and over that Walker couldn't defeat it with the power of his legs/feet/etc., but by that time I had mostly quit watching.

So yeah, screw Demonreach v. Skinwalker. Let's have Chuck Norris insert himself into the Dresden Files and just take care of things for us, what do you say? *insert irritating Chuck Norris jokes here*

This has been a very sarcastic message, thank you.

Hell Chuck could take on the entire Black Council, the Red Court, Mab, Titania, the Denarians, The Erlking, the white court, the black court, the skinwalker, the outsiders, and survive the nuke that Morgan used on a skinwalker all at the same time. Not to mention come out of it without a scratch or wrinkle on his cloths.