1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The West Wing

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Midknight, May 30, 2009.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It'd guarentee him(Obama) loosing the reelection, but I'd love to see him pull a Bartlett from West Wing, and saying... I'm going to stop dragging me feet and do what the fuck needs to be done, fuck it if I don't get reupped in 3 years.

But, I'm actually scared of what'd happen if GOP regained power in 3 years, since the damage they helped cause in the last 8 is going to take 20 to fix =P

West Wing. AWESOME show. Finally got around to watching it.

I can't describe how incredible and funny this show is, while still making you think.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  2. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Yeah, it really is. It's one of the biggest shames that it ever got canceled. As for harsh, I think they're just trying to keep razzing him when the press seemingly doesn't want to.

3. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I'll third the West Wing love. Might be my alltime favorite show. I know it's left-wing skew isn't particularly subtle, but there's a reason it's first four seasons all won the Best Drama Emmy. I'd give seasons 1-4 all A+ ratings. Season 5's almost as good. I'd give it an A and solid Bs to seasons 6 and 7. It didn't really get canceled as much as reached the end of its line.

I know I'm kinda derailing the topic here, but there are so many great moments in the series. Here's a few of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQWxgnFc1fk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TkzLnUNeVo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k30MOebDSww
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojhg1zTOef8

Okay... I got lost jumping from dozens of West Wing clips. Too many great scenes.

4. Midknight

Josh telling the civil rights lawyer he'd pay him his 1.7 TRILLION dollars of reperations money, but his granddad dropped his wallet in a concentration camp was awesome. Check that out if you havent. Josh telling the senator to shove the agenda up his ass, as well as the press room fuckup with the secret plan to fight inflation too.

5. Midknight

Last West Wing moment

"You have an interesting conversational style, you know that?"
    "It's a nervous condition."
    "I used to have a nervous condition."
    "How did yours manifest itself?"
    "I drank a lot of Scotch."
    "I get sick when I drink too much."
    "I get drunk when I drink too much."

Delivered deadpan by Leo was too much, spit my soda out, lol.

6. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

No West Wing lovefest is complete without Ainsley, the spitfire hottie Republican from North Carolina. The first link is to Midknight's quote; the second is the one where she calls Sam "the master."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUwm6WJRPIQ&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbuujHCV4UE

Oh, and she gets nekkid in the movie "Breast Men." Sorry for the continued derail.

7. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Bartlet: Josh, perhaps you could shed some light on this State Department cable: 'Turkmenistan to U.S.: We didn't order these pizzas.'
    Josh: Bet you're thinking there's a really good explanation for that, sir.

/Longtime WW fanboy.

8. Midknight

The more I watch, the more awesome Leo is, and Josh reminds me of Rahm, minus the cursing.

[COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white]Margaret: "Can I - can I just say something for the future?"
    Leo: "Yeah."
    Margaret: "I can sign the President's name. I have his signature down pretty good."
    Leo: "You can sign the President's name?"
    Margaret: "Yeah."
    Leo: "On a document removing him from power and handing it to someone else."
    Margaret: "Yeah!" (On Leo's look of disbelief) "Or... do you think the White House Counsel would say that was a bad idea?"
    Leo: "I think the White House Counsel would say it was a coup d'etat!"
    Margaret: "Well. I'd probably end up doing some time for that."
    Leo: "I would think. And what the hell were you doing practicing the President's signature?"
    Margaret: (leaving rapidly) "It was just for fun!"
    Leo: "We've got separation of powers, checks and balances, and Margaret, vetoing things and sending them back to the Hill!"

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Abbey: "Leo, is there any food in this room that isn't fried?"
    Leo: "Well, if there is, let's get rid of it!"

[COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white]Bartlet: "Forgive me, Dr. Jacobs. Are you a MD?"
    Dr. Jenna Jacobs: "PhD."
    Bartlet: "A PhD?"
    Dr. Jacobs: "Yes, sir."
    Bartlet: "In Psychology?"
    Dr. Jacobs: "No, Sir."
    Bartlet: "Theology?"
    Dr. Jacobs: "No."
    Bartlet: "Social work?"
    Dr. Jacobs: "I have a PhD in English Literature."
    Bartlet: "I'm asking, 'cause on your show, people call in for advice and you go by the name of Dr. Jacobs on your show. And I didn't know if maybe your listeners were confused by that, and assumed you had advanced training in Psychology, Theology, or health care."
    Dr. Jacobs: "I don't believe they are confused, no sir."
    Bartlet: "Good. I like your show. I like how you call homosexuality an abomination."
    Dr. Jacobs: "I don't say homosexuality is an abomination, Mr. President. The Bible does."
    Bartlet: "Yes, it does. Leviticus."
    Dr. Jacobs: "Eighteen twenty-two."

Bartlet: "Chapter and verse. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I had you here. I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, and always clears the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be? While thinking about that, can I ask another? My Chief of Staff, Leo McGarry, insists on working on the Sabbath, Exodus 35:2, clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself or is it okay to call the police? Here's one that's really important, 'cause we've got a lot of sports fans in this town. Touching the skin of a dead pig makes us unclean, Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point? Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother, John, for planting different crops side by side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads? Think about those questions, would you? One last thing, while you may be mistaking this for your monthly meeting of the Ignorant Tightass Club, in this building, when the President stands nobody sits."

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white]Abbey: "You couldn't get off the phone?"
    Bartlet: "Yeah... 'excuse me, Your Eminence, but the First Lady is a little randy, and she says I'm good to go'."
    Abbey: "I am a little randy, Jed."
    Bartlet: "Good, take your clothes off."
    Abbey: "Wh- whatever happened to romance? A couple of cocktails, Mel Torme-"
    Bartlet: "Get 'em off."
    Abbey: "Okay, I'm going to the bathroom. Where I am gonna change into a special little garment I think you might enjoy!"
    Bartlet: "Abbey, you have two minutes, or I swear to God I'm gonna get Mrs. Landingham drunk." [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=white][COLOR=#919d9d][COLOR=white]

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

9. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

My father (and I, for that matter) adore the hell out of The West Wing. C.J. was my highlight of the show, being the type of White House Press Secretary that I want to see IRL. I also second James Lipton's statement that "Two Cathedrals" is the best hour of television ever aired. Bartlett's rant against God is perhaps the single best scene to ever hit airwaves, and the end to that episode is phenomenal. The whole series is just wonderful.

10. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Goddamnit guys. I was over my West Wing obsession for 2 years now, now I have to re-down-- er, buy them again since I lost my copies. I watched the first 4 seasons constantly for about 2-3 weeks when I was in India, and about 1/3 of the 5th season before I started disliking it. I dunno, Sam leaving and the writers seem to have gotten worse in that season. <_<

But yes, nonjon's first link has to be the best speech ever, and one of my favorite moments in the West Wing.

I mean, you can't go wrong with a show that curbstomps the religious right on the first episode.

11. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Hell yes, mknote. That speech sent shivers down my spine. He calls God a "feckless thug" and then stamps out a cigarette on the cathedral floor. Powerful stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FScv89J6rro

EDIT: For my money, West Wing and The Sopranos are the two best dramas ever to hit television. Both declined in quality the last two seasons, but the first 4-5 were just incredible.

12. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

13. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Bartlet: What do we do with him?
    Sam: Make him the Ambassador to Paraguay.
    Bartlet: What do we do with the Ambassador to Paraguay?
    Sam: Make him Ambassador to Bulgaria.

Makes me lol uncontrollably for some reason.

Leo McGarry: We spent millions of dollars developing a pen that could write in space. Do you know what the Russians did?
    Josh Lyman: Used a pencil?
    Leo McGarry: Used a pencil.

---

Bartlet: Can I tell you what's messed up about James Bond?
    Charlie: Nothing.
    Bartlet: Shaken not stirred will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth.
    The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice.
    James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it.

---

Josh: I really think I'm the best judge of what I mean, you paranoid Berkeley shiksa feminista! ... Well, that was way too far.
    CJ: No, no. Well, I've got a staff meeting to go to and so do you, you elitist Harvard fascist missed-the-dean's-list-two-semesters-in-a-row Yankee jackass!
    Josh: Feel better gettin' that off your chest there, CJ?
    CJ: I'm a whole new woman.

---

Bartlet: You know what we're starting with tonight?
    Josh: No, sir.
    Bartlet: Hot pumpkin soup with cheese gnocchi and a chévre brioche.
    Josh: Was anything you just said food?

---

President Josiah Bartlet: Sweden has a 100% literacy rate. 100%! How do they do that?
    Leo McGarry: Maybe they don't and they just can't add.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  14. nonjon

For those wondering, on BRAVO there's usually a couple episodes almost every day. At 8 and 9 AM, and occasionally at 3 AM. My DVR's almost always got at least a half dozen episodes.

The first four seasons are fantastic. I love how Sorkin kinda got pushed out so he left the show by taking Zoey hostage and sticking them with a Republican president. A nice little middle finger parting gift.

I like season 5 almost as much as the glory years because the Shutdown storyline (and march on the Capitol) was great and the Supremes is one of my favorite episodes. I'd rank that one up there with the best of the early years.

The Santos/Vinick stuff was better than a lot of TV but just couldn't compare to Bartlet and the show's glory years.

Even the quickly thrown together out-of-timeline post-9/11 episode I thought explained the current political climate far better than most news shows and newspapers were doing. Season 3's premiere was bumped a week and instead they made an episode interspersed with phone numbers and places to donate money and donate blood. Some clips:

Why do they hate us? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VatPKqTgzh4
    Sam Seaborn http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDsY8qCxLHQ
    The First Lady http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSMdBKB-i3U

And as long as we're breaking out classic bits, it'd be remiss to not mention Leo's guy in a hole story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQJ6yqQRAQs

Just because it's funny here's a clip of the cast on Ellen's talk show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znqnCv3hPOk

15. Invader.Azula

Invader.Azula Seventh Year

I was over my obsession with the West Wing and now you guys are bringing it back. Totally not fair. That show had one of the best ensemble cast that I ever seen on television. There really isn't one person that I can say that I don't like. And I just adore Leo.

16. Midknight

Bartlet: Can I tell you what's messed up about James Bond?
    Charlie: Nothing.
    Bartlet: Shaken not stirred will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth.
    The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice.
    James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it.

President Josiah Bartlet: Sweden has a 100% literacy rate. 100%! How do they do that?
    Leo McGarry: Maybe they don't and they just can't add.

ROFL!~

17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I think I might have heard of this show a few years ago. I never watched an episode, or even saw a commercial or anything for it, but I think I heard of it.

After reading this thread, however, I'll have to dow-, er, RENT them right away. The first season at least. It sounds like it's pretty kick ass.

*deletes comment regarding politics and whether or not an issue is addressed in the show because this really isn't the place and there's already a thread for that that I've been avoiding looking at*

Also, on a more random note, anytime I see an actual person in someone's avatar I assume it's them. This is especially true since I am unable to recognize 95% of the famous actors out there who are likely to appear in an avatar. So, Midknight, I have to say that if that's you up there dancing with Elmo or Ernie or whoever, you don't look half bad.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  18. Midknight

I don't look half bad at all! Sadly for Sree though, I'm not blond, nor gay, nor can I dance, so that's not me =)

That'd be Neil Patrick Harris, aka Doogie Howser MD, aka Barney Stinson, the most awesome guy... evah.

And yeah I actually do the same thing with ppl's avatar's.

"What do you call a society where the pizza place you're eating in can blow up without any warning?" "... Isreal."

Awesome

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  19. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

o_O

How do you not recognize NPH? D:

20. nonjon

Not know NPH? Seriously. Go rent a Harold and Kumar movie. The first one's better than the second but either will work. And swinging us back slightly towards topic, how fucked up is that Kumar's working in Obama's White House?

He'll be in the OEOB (soon as he finishes up that movie with Jed Bartlett), as it's so often referred to on the West Wing. If you thought he already was working for Obama as I did, here's the article about it.