1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plague and Treachery on the Oregon Trail by Chewbot - Oregon Trail

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Red Aviary, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Plague and Treachery on the Oregon Trail
    Author: Chewbot
    Rating: M (to be safe, but it could be a T)
    Genre: Humor, General

Summary: "Anyone who graduated third grade in the US should be familiar with this game; it dominated every Apple computer in the school system by pretending to be educational. In truth, as every schoolchild knew, the only thing educational to be found was the word dysentery. In case you didn’t graduate third grade, the premise of this game is simply this: guide a family of five through 1800’s American Midwest in a ox-drawn wagon and try not to die in horrible agony along the way."

Link: http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/OregonTrail/

Review: I recommended this since I saw a few people liked his other story, The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing. Some of you may have checked out that author further and already read this, but I thought that I'd post it here anyway.

Like The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing, it has pictures from the game with his own dialogue, characters and such interspersed throughout. However, since the Oregon Trail game is, well... a bit less advanced than Animal Crossing (which is saying something, since that game looked like it belonged on the N64 rather than on a GameCube), there's a lot more improvisation in the characters than with his other story. His Tom Nook followed the game's Tom Nook's personality - the game's Old Ferry Man or the General Store Owner had no personalities, so he gave them some.

As for my actual review... the beginning parts were funny, but around the last third of it or so it just gets more and more surreal, until the ending. It's not a bad thing, to me at least, and it's mostly due to it having been originally posted on SomethingAwful and partially influenced by readers' votes.

I'm giving it a 4/5, rounded up a bit because the star thing doesn't have decimals. >_>

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  2. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

I have fond memories of this game.

3. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

if fond you mean incredibly frustrating, then so do i. STOP DYING DAMNIT!

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I looked the game up solely because of this thread. I managed it all the way across on the first go without anyone dying... I did run out of food a few times though, and lost a couple of oxen, and someone stole all our clothes, and they were basically living on rabbit and weeds... Fun game :D.