1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Inception.

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Dizstance, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Dizstance

Dizstance Second Year

Directed by Christopher Nolan (Memento, The Prestige, The Dark Knight) and starring Leanardo DiCaprio (Titanic, The Aviator, Catch Me If You Can) it's described "as a contemporary sci-fi actioner set within the architecture of the mind."

It's got a 200 million dollar budget, so here's to hoping it's sick

Teaser trailer, or if you just go see Inglourious Basterds you can see it in the previews; http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=58242

2. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Oh man, there's some good talent here--one of my favorite directors, one of my favorite composers, and a whole bunch of my favorite actors (cillian murphey, michael caine--even ellen page and leo dicaprio are pretty good). Seems sort of Matrix-esque from first impressions, but that stuff with them sliding around the hallways was pretty rad.

3. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Less than a week till its release. There's a very low-key viral campaign and new trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sd0ff1sbJU

I'm actually proud of Hollywood for having this kind of imagination still. I like how Nolan reversed the premise for the standard heist film, with DiCaprio's character breaking into the target's mind to plant an idea instead of to steal something.

Interesting cast, and Joseph Levitt-Gordon is one of my favorite actors. I am really damn curious to see his zero-gravity fight in the hotel corridors, which advance reviews have already been praising.

I'm glad I just caught onto the movie's existence recently, through commercials in the World Cup. Otherwise the wait would be too excruciating.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  4. se7en

se7en Professor

It makes it much harder for me as I've followed Christopher Nolan since he came out with the gem, Memento, one of my favorite movies. He hasn't failed to deliver yet.

5. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

The Memento was a really good film and i recommend you watch The Prestige as its probably better.

Also cant wait for this, looks visually brilliant and fucking interesting to boot.

6. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Usually when I hear about films like these and see the trailers, I try to talk myself into not expecting to be blown away...but you can't help but have such high, high hopes for this. Awesome cast, phenomenal director/screenwriter, and a plot that somehow, in this day and age, has no prior works to compare to - and therefore no way for us to immediately predict where the plot will go (sup, Avatar), and Hans motherfucking Zimmer doing the soundtrack ?

I'm so effing psyched. Definitely worth the IMAX experience.

EDIT:

Lol, c'mon Andro. You're killin' me, man :p

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

The Prestige was good, but IMO it doesn't really compare to The Memento.

As for Inception - what Blaise said.

8. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

People compare him to Heath Ledger a lot, but in acting ability he's at least his equal. I'm glad he's leaning toward noirish film work now, ala Brick. Generally he and Christian Bale are the only actors I watch indie-films for.

9. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I believe what Blaise means is this actor name is Joseph Gordon-Levitt not Joseph Levitt-Gordon.

Also I remember him and Ledger when they weren't popular yet, from movie - "10 Things I Hate about You".

10. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Am really looking forward to it, cinemas here are showing trailers for it for at least two months.

11. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    The Prestige is up there with my all time favourite movies, it might even hold the title. Therefore I have massive hopes for this... Don't dissapoint me Chris :(

12. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Trailer 3

[weeps softly]

16th why are you so far away?

13. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Word. I think Memento was better because of the plot, while Prestige had better cinematography. But overall, Memento > Prestige, though not by all that much.

lol yeah I did.

Shit, I'd forgotten about that....seems like a lifetime ago...

*violins*

BRAAAAAAAP

*violins*

BRAAAAAAP

14. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

OH God...,Inception is fuckin awesome.One of the best movies released this year.In fact,I liked it better than any of his other films.

15. artenry

artenry Guest

Saw the midnight showing last night - there are so many levels of mind-fuckery to this movie that I need to see it again to comprehend it all.

16. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

Saw it and I think it is fucking amazing. Absolutely the best movie of this summer, and I have trouble thinking that any are going to be better throughout the year.

I will rewatch and support this movie, because Hollywood needs to make more movies like this.

17. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

I don't buy many movies. But every once in awhile, one movie comes out that you must own. This is that movie. Beautiful composing, incredible directing, and acting that keeps you on the edge of your seat at all times.

Watch this movie. Beg, borrow, or steal to get the money to watch this movie in theaters.

18. BioPlague

He's in reality at the end. There's pretty much evidence for either conclusion, dream or reality, but the stickler is if you go with 'dream', you're basically saying his totem is faulty or corrupted because it was originally Mal's (because his totem did come to rest after the first mind-heist failed). If you go that route, Mal committed suicide in a dream, thus escaping into reality.

You're basically stating Mal has somehow failed to give Cobb a kick out of whatever dream level he is in--and he is not in anything other than a level if he is dreaming; limbo requires waking up at the edge of an ocean. He wakes up on a plane the last time we see him waking up from a dream.

So that all in mind, it's a dream.

That and Ellen Page is fucking hot.

Interesting take that would shut me down: If you are using the rules presented in the movie for your arguments, then you are wrong.

Because for those rules to work, the top level has to be real. If its just a dream, then every rule is made-up. So there's no totem, no kick, no dream levels, no inception...its all made-up.

But if the top level is real, then every rule we were presented with are real. In the end, the totem was wobbling and is just about to fall. Everything else about the kid's clothing and aging is pure coincidences. Unless the whole thing is just a dream, and the only clue to that are the kids in the end. If that's true, then the movie is very weak.

My opinion: I would agree. But if we can't trust the director to tell us that the rules governing totems are legit then it's a hopeless movie. Everything is a farce; there are no rules, only a mindfuck. A mindfuck with no way out is no fun.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  19. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Note: seriously don't read the second two spoilers if you haven't seen it yet! Or the first, ideally, but less so.

I thought this was bloody brilliant, for the most part - the only quibble I had was the characterisation. You had Cobb
    and to an extent, Mal
    , and then pretty much everyone else felt more like character types than actual characters.

Although given the whole 'is this a dream?' thing going on throughout, you could probably argue that as intentional, to be fair.

As for the ending...aargh! Damn open-ended conclusions...I'd tend toward reality though, as DiB says in his spoilers - he didn't seem to be in limbo.

20. BioPlague

Just don't agree on that. If the whole things a dream, then the characters lack of depth are explained away by Cobb's explanation to Mal for why he's going to pull the plug on her: that he just can't add depth or complexities. Everything is just an extension of himself--even Ariadne.

And Cobb is one of the most complex and deep characters I have seen in a while. The entire theater nearly gasped together when Cobb explains how he lead to Mal's death. But I just don't think it's a dream he's in from beginning to end. I believe the top level is the reality and the top level is the one he finishes in.

JGL was very amusing. He played his part perfectly. So did Hardy. Ellen Page really had her moments and she came off as a plucky newcomer. She showed depth and care; if everything is a dream, Ariadne plays the important role of being Cobb's subconscious that recognizes the falsity of everything (with the obvious exception being the top level but that may come in the 'future' if you believe everything is a dream).

Which truly is interesting. Perhaps Mal was right. Perhaps they delved deeper and deeper and deeper - maybe they went 15 levels down. Who knows? And the rules are just ways to cope and make the world seem real. Cobb is working his way out though. And I think even if you go along with the dream theory, he will recognize sooner or later there's something wrong. He's a strong character and my approach to this movie isn't that it doesn't matter whether it's a dream or reality. There will be those who don't care so long as you're happy; but I just can't. Falseness will creep in, sooner or later; recognition that something is wrong will always be at the edge of your mind, as it was for him when him and Mal delved too deeply.

But God, what a movie.