1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Building a computer, help please

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Mage, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Ok, so hopefully I'll be getting this for Christmas. I'm pretty new at this though, and want to make sure I have everything I need/everything is compatible.

Case:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129058
    Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006
    MoBo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131404
    CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215
    RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260
    Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339 (not really sure about this)
    Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433
    Disc Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030 (Also not so sure about this)

I already have a T.V screen that I'll use as a monitor, but I'm not sure what cables I need to get.

All help is much appreciated, thanks.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Does your TV have a DVI port?

3. Mage

I think so, I know it has an HDMI port, so I'm pretty sure it has a DVI port as well.

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Maybe, maybe not. My Sony Bravia has a HDMI but no DVI. A HDMI to DVI cable could work though, maybe.

5. se7en

se7en Professor

What are you using the computer for? What kind of games are you expecting to play? Does your TV run at 720p or 1080p?

6. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Case is good. I use the second generation of this, but I've heard good things about the 900 as well.

Power supply...I would look for something modular. Trust me, you'll thank me for it later. I have the little brother to this one, and I love it.

Motherboard looks good.

CPU looks good. I'm not up to date on i5 or i7 though, so you'll probably want to listen to someone who is.

RAM looks good. I would get two packs (for a total of 8GB), because memory is the current bottleneck in modern computers.

Video Card...I would probably go with something like this or this instead. SLI is more trouble than it's worth, and I would never buy anything from EVGA. Midknight (I believe) had a ton of problems with one of their boards, and he's not the only one. Those two I linked have built in HDMI, so you shouldn't have to worry about cables.

Hard Drive is win. ++ for going with Seagate.

Disc Drive is fine. Or you could save a few bucks. As long as you aren't using CD/DVD intensive things, you'll be solid. Normally I would suggest LG for disc drives, but their newest ones come with some kind of adware on them. Fuck that.

Anyway, good luck with your build. Have fun!

Edit: I knew I'd find it soon enough. Here's Midknight's fun with EVGA.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  7. Mage

Thanks for the help guys, and to be honest I just need to look at the t.v. again. It's currently at home, but I'm going home tomorrow so I'll look at it then and give an update of what it does/doesn't have.

@se7en. The computer will mostly be used for playing games such as Starcraft I, WC3, and Age of Empires 2... just kidding. I plan on using it to play all the new games coming out, as well as some of the ones I wasn't able to play before because my computer couldn't handle it such as Mass Effect, The Witcher, and Bioshock 2 when it comes out.

8. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

I'd second Millitis' suggestion for the Antec P183. The Antec 900 is loud with fans and HDD going, whereas the P183 is extremely quiet in comparison. Both of them run cool though, so if you're not bothered by a bit of noise then don't worry about it.

The power supply isn't modular, which means you'll have a lot of cables dangling around doing nothing but getting in the way of air flow and uglying the view in the side window.

Mainboard and CPU are good, and I'd recommend 6GB of memory instead of 4. The Hard drive is fine, and optical drive's aren't too important, so that's fine as well.

That graphics card is getting old. Something in the ATI Radeon HD 57XX range would run a lot better for only a slightly higher price, like this.

9. Mage

Ok, well this is a bit of a bump, but I need help with my computer. The build I ended up getting is such.

PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W
    Case: Antec 900
    Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D
    CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz
    Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 8gb
    Graphics Card: GIGABYTE GV-N96TZL-1GI GeForce 9600 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3
    Hard Drive: Western Digital 1TB
    Disc Drive: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable

My problem is that it won't boot. It originally worked, for about 2 hours, I figured it was fine. Then I drove back to school with it, and when I got back to school it didn't work and the CPU_Led light was red when I turned it on. It entered a cycle of turning on, all the fans would work, and then about 15 seconds later it would turn off only to turn on again a few seconds after that. The only way to stop it was to turn off the power supply.

I took it all apart figuring that I had managed to jostle something apart during the car ride, and it worked for about 30 minutes. I turned it off then tried to turn it back on the next day and I had the same problem. I RMA'd both the CPU and the PSU, and neither of those got it to work (I'm not positive if it was a new one or Newegg just tested it however.) I then took it to a computer store where they couldn't figure it out.

When I got home for the summer I had another person look at it who thought that maybe it was running to hot so I got an upgraded heat sync fan. This briefly worked, but then the computer stopped working while I was running the computer, which was a first since before it had always not worked after I turned it off. I then took it to the IT department of the company I was interning at, and the guy there got it to work running off of 4gbs of ram. I was unable to get it to work when I took it home though.

Since then I ordered GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 motherboard which I'm going to RMA just to see if I could get it to work, and it didn't. It has the 4th light in the boot series lit up red and doesn't even get the brief turn on the way the other motherboard does.

Other notes: I have RMA'd the original motherboard, but it was to ASUS so I don't know if they gave me a new one, but I suspect they didn't. When I turn on the computer nothing shows up on the screen, doesn't reach BIOS or anything.

Basically I have no idea what to do, I'm thinking maybe my cpu is bad? But honestly I don't know, and any help would be much appreciated since I have sunk a good amount of money into this computer for it to not work.

Edit: Ok, so I decided to just give it another run through putting it back step by step. I plugged in 1 stick of ram, the cpu, the fan, and that was it. Turned it on using the memok button and it all worked except I had the dram_led light on. So I slowly started plugging everything back in piece by piece. It worked and I got to the ASUS loading screen, not bios but the actual ASUS screen. Everything looked ok except that it said the cpu cooling fan wasn't running. I could feel the air coming off of the fan and it was plugged in to both the cup_fan slot and had power connecting it. When I turned it back off then tried to turn it on the CPU_Led light came back on and it entered the loop again.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  10. ForsakenOne

ForsakenOne Groundskeeper

You could try flushing your CMOS, very carefully though. That might fix any problem with not getting past POST. Also try resetting your PSU, turning it off and replugging the AC adapter.

My main guesses are that you either short-circuited something or yes something got jostled along the way.

If you get the PC to boot up, try some temperature monitoring apps to make sure its not an overheating problem. Try a memtest on each individual stick of RAM to see if its the ram problem.

Good luck.

11. Mage

Just tried flushing the CMOS, didn't work. I don't think it was the getting jostled that was the problem because it has worked on and off since then. If it was a short how would I know and where would I be able to figure it out? Also is it possible my CPU is just instantly overheating? I'm pretty sure it has to still be alive since my computer ran somewhat today. Thanks

12. Mage

Bump. Thinking about just ordering a new cpu to try that, I really think that it has to be the cpu, but not positive. Is this a decent idea?

13. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Sounds like phsyical damage to me, to be honest. I had something similar happen to me when I was building a PC for my brother. I'm a little edgy on it being the CPU though. The new i-series CPU's don't have any pins on them, so it's pretty hard to accidentally break them. That said, since you've ordered a completely new motherboard I suppose that knocks my theory out.

Do you have any old computers around or can you borrow one? What I'd do in this situation is test each and every single component on a system that you know works. If you find that all of the components are working, you might have a hardware conflict.